Can you get COVID-19 from deer?
Leroy N. Soetoro
2021-11-29 20:35:16 UTC
https://fox8.com/news/can-you-get-covid-19-from-deer/

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Even wild deer aren’t sheltered from the spread
of COVID, wildlife officials say, but can hunters or others who come in
contact with an infected animal catch the virus from it?

A recent study from Penn State found that more than 80% percent of the
white-tailed deer sampled in different parts of Iowa between December 2020
and January 2021 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, or better known as COVID-
19. The researchers urged caution for hunters as they suggest that white-
tailed deer could be a reservoir for the coronavirus.

Although the data showed more than 80% of the harvested deer tested
positive for COVID-19, officials with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources
Agency, and Dr. Marcy Souza with the University of Tennessee’s College of
Veterinary Medicine, said there’s no evidence showing the deer are
transmitting the virus to humans.

“So, I think the studies that have come out have actually raised more
questions than provided answers. You know, at this point, there’s really
no evidence that hunters can get Sars-CoV-2 from handling an animal that
they’ve hunted,” Souza said.

The risk of deer spreading COVID-19 to people is low given that it is a
respiratory disease and transmission occurs through inhaling respiratory
droplets. Currently there is no evidence that people can get COVID-19 by
preparing or eating meat from an animal infected with SARS-CoV-2,
including wild game meat hunted in the United States.

OFFICIALS FROM TWRA HEADQUARTERS
Souza, the Director of Veterinary Public Health at UTK, said this is the
second study where deer were found to have COVID-19 in their systems. The
first was from the USDA back in August. This study found COVID-19
antibodies in deer from four different states, including Illinois,
Michigan, New York, and Pennsylvania.

Souza said the Penn State research was different. It showed the deer were
actively infected when tested.

“So, they looked at lymph nodes in deer that had been hunter-harvested and
found that a pretty large percentage of them were positive by PCR, which
is showing that they actually had the virus in them, as opposed to the
antibodies which shows they’ve been exposed at some point,” Souza said.

Souza said there’s plenty of viruses and bacteria that can transfer from
deer or other game to people, but as of right now there’s no evidence
COVID-19 is one of them.

However, both Souza and TWRA officials said hunters should still take the
following precautions because of the non-COVID illnesses they could catch
while harvesting deer.

“[Make] sure that you’re taking good protective measures to keep yourself
from getting exposed to anything, not just SARS-CoV-2,” Souza said. “That
includes maybe wearing gloves when you’re actually dressing an animal.
Washing your hands afterward, not eating, drinking or smoking while
dressing the animal is really important.”

Terry Lewis, an avid hunter for 45 years, said he’s not worried about
catching COVID-19 from deer. He took whatever precautions he could while
dressing deer before even knowing deer could have the virus.

“You know, we try to take as many precautions as we, whether COVID is an
issue or not, we always wear rubber gloves wash our hands, wash our tools
when we harvest an animal,” Lewis said.

Souza said wearing a mask wouldn’t hurt, as sometimes when dressing an
animal the bodily fluids could spray up in the air. But, spread in that
manner is low risk when harvesting outdoors.

Because hunting is outdoors, Lewis said he doesn’t plan to wear a mask.

“Wearing a mask in the woods is not really appropriate in my opinion.
You’re out in the great outdoors, you’re outdoors. There’s no one else
around,” Lewis said.

Souza said there are other precautions hunters need to take, like keeping
the deer meat cold to prevent bacteria growth and cooking them to the
proper temperature in order to kill any other bacteria.

Here are some other tips for hunters:

Do not allow contact between wildlife and domestic animals, including pets
and hunting dogs.
Do not harvest animals that appear sick or are found dead.
Keep game meat clean and cool the meat down as soon as possible after
harvesting the animal.
Avoid cutting through the backbone and spinal tissues and do not eat the
brains of wildlife.
When handling and cleaning game:
Wear rubber or disposable gloves.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke.
Wear a face covering/mask.
When finished handling and cleaning game:
Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water
Clean knives, equipment, and surfaces that were in contact with game meat
with soap and water and then disinfect them.
Cook all game meat thoroughly (to an internal temperature of 165 °F or
higher).
--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: ***@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

Jeßus
2021-11-29 20:41:23 UTC
On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 20:35:16 -0000 (UTC), "Leroy N. Soetoro"
Post by Leroy N. Soetoro
https://fox8.com/news/can-you-get-covid-19-from-deer/
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Even wild deer aren’t sheltered from the spread
of COVID, wildlife officials say, but can hunters or others who come in
contact with an infected animal catch the virus from it?
Who cares. Chronic wasting disease is a much bigger concern with deer
(in the US).
US Janet
2021-11-30 00:12:23 UTC
Post by Leroy N. Soetoro
https://fox8.com/news/can-you-get-covid-19-from-deer/
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Even wild deer aren’t sheltered from the spread
of COVID, wildlife officials say, but can hunters or others who come in
contact with an infected animal catch the virus from it?
Who cares. Chronic wasting disease is a much bigger concern with deer
(in the US).
Exactly, chronic wasting disease is a problem with deer that continues
to spread to additional states. Still not sure if it can spread to
humans or not.
Janet US
Jeßus
2021-11-30 02:36:24 UTC
Post by Leroy N. Soetoro
https://fox8.com/news/can-you-get-covid-19-from-deer/
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) — Even wild deer aren’t sheltered from the spread
of COVID, wildlife officials say, but can hunters or others who come in
contact with an infected animal catch the virus from it?
Who cares. Chronic wasting disease is a much bigger concern with deer
(in the US).
Exactly, chronic wasting disease is a problem with deer that continues
to spread to additional states. Still not sure if it can spread to
humans or not.
Yes, it's entirely possible it could spread to humans and other
species commonly eaten.
Mike Duffy
2021-11-30 03:33:53 UTC
Post by US Janet
Exactly, chronic wasting disease is a problem with deer that continues
to spread to additional states. Still not sure if it can spread to
humans or not.
Yes, it's entirely possible it could spread to humans and other species
commonly eaten.
Umm, I'm pretty sure humans are not commonly eaten. Or were you talking
about chronic time wasting disease? I see a lot of evidence of that.
Jeßus
You really need this explained to you?
Bryan Simmons
2021-12-01 00:41:38 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by US Janet
Exactly, chronic wasting disease is a problem with deer that continues
to spread to additional states. Still not sure if it can spread to
humans or not.
Yes, it's entirely possible it could spread to humans and other species
commonly eaten.
Umm, I'm pretty sure humans are not commonly eaten. Or were you talking
about chronic time wasting disease? I see a lot of evidence of that.
You really need this explained to you?
Mike was making a joke. At least he was trying.

--Bryan
Bruce
One must admit he didn't have a very cheerful audience.
Mike Duffy
2021-12-01 00:53:50 UTC
Yes. And sometimes I'm very trying.
Bruce
2021-12-01 00:57:00 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Bryan Simmons
Mike was making a joke. At least he was trying.
Yes. And sometimes I'm very trying.
That's ok. One just smiles faintly and goes to the next post.

Janet
2021-11-30 14:57:43 UTC
Post by Leroy N. Soetoro
https://fox8.com/news/can-you-get-covid-19-from-deer/
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) ? Even wild deer aren?t sheltered from the spread
of COVID, wildlife officials say, but can hunters or others who come in
contact with an infected animal catch the virus from it?
Who cares. Chronic wasting disease is a much bigger concern with deer
(in the US).
Exactly, chronic wasting disease is a problem with deer that continues
to spread to additional states. Still not sure if it can spread to
humans or not.
Janet US
CWD in deer is a prion disease. BSE aka "Mad cow disease" is a
similar prion disease in cattle, always fatal. BSE causes a prion
disease called nvCJD (Creutzfeld Jacob Disease) in humans, which is
invariably fatal.

nv CJD in people is caught from eating beef infected with BSE.

Janet UK.