REQUEST: Plum Sauce for Moo Shu Pork
bruce bowser
2021-11-20 16:17:07 UTC
Sorry I don't have a recipe, but I can at least give you some info
that you can follow up on...
The 'Plum sauce' for Moo Shu Pork is actually not a plum sauce at all.
It is called Hoisin Sauce, an is made from a combination of soy beans,
garlic, chili, and other spices.
My recommendation is that you buy a container of it from a ethnic food
store. If none are nearby, I know it is accessible at almost any
grocery store. I bought a large gallon container of it for $6, because
the small bottles of it cost about $2 fo 12 ounces...
Hope it helps...
Dave Hrencecin
I've recently started using plum sauce on egg rolls and pork fried rice, along with hot mustard. That's a good question. How do they make plum sauce?
Bryan Simmons
2021-11-20 17:57:27 UTC
https://www.seriouseats.com/chinese-plum-sauce-recipe

--Bryan
Bruce
2021-11-20 18:11:33 UTC
On Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:04:10 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Bryan Simmons
Sorry I don't have a recipe, but I can at least give you some info
that you can follow up on...
The 'Plum sauce' for Moo Shu Pork is actually not a plum sauce at all.
It is called Hoisin Sauce, an is made from a combination of soy beans,
garlic, chili, and other spices.
My recommendation is that you buy a container of it from a ethnic food
store. If none are nearby, I know it is accessible at almost any
grocery store. I bought a large gallon container of it for $6, because
the small bottles of it cost about $2 fo 12 ounces...
Hope it helps...
Dave Hrencecin
I've recently started using plum sauce on egg rolls and pork fried rice, along with hot mustard. That's a good question. How do they make plum sauce?
https://www.seriouseats.com/chinese-plum-sauce-recipe
I ended up there, but bowser doesn't want to know how he could make
plum sauce. He wants to know how "they" make plum sauce.
"They" make plum sauce in a factory.
Don't forget that there is no cooking without eating.
Hank Rogers
Don't forget that there is no sniffing without sphincters, master.
Jeßus
All this talk of cooking and sniffing sounds methed up to me.
bruce bowser
So some people's houses, garages or even shacks qualify? Must get cold up there near Detroit, BTW.
dsi1
2021-11-20 23:41:55 UTC
Sorry I don't have a recipe, but I can at least give you some info
that you can follow up on...
The 'Plum sauce' for Moo Shu Pork is actually not a plum sauce at all.
It is called Hoisin Sauce, an is made from a combination of soy beans,
garlic, chili, and other spices.
My recommendation is that you buy a container of it from a ethnic food
store. If none are nearby, I know it is accessible at almost any
grocery store. I bought a large gallon container of it for $6, because
the small bottles of it cost about $2 fo 12 ounces...
Hope it helps...
Dave Hrencecin
I've recently started using plum sauce on egg rolls and pork fried rice, along with hot mustard. That's a good question. How do they make plum sauce?
We eat plum sauce on this rock mostly with duck. Here's some duck with a light and dark plum sauce. It's good stuff.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ncgnx6gYQfwemHmj8
Hank Rogers
2021-11-21 00:19:47 UTC
Post by dsi1
[...]
But how do they make it? That was the question.

Is it different when made on rocks VS the mainland?
Can white people eat it safely?
bruce bowser
I like it on pork fried rice with hot mustard. Adding shoyu is OK, too.
songbird
2021-11-21 14:52:59 UTC
bruce bowser wrote:
Post by bruce bowser
I've recently started using plum sauce on egg rolls and pork fried rice, along with hot mustard. That's a good question. How do they make plum sauce?
our favorite local Chinese place uses a red sauce that is
made from pineapple juice (concentrate perhaps), red food
coloring, sugar and vinegar. it's very addictive to me since
i like sweet and sour combinations and mostly we use it on
egg rolls and crab cheese, but they also use it as their
sauce for going over the sweet and sour chicken/shrimp/etc.

we've been eating their food for close to 50 years now and
we're still not dead so i think it is safe. recently they
say that they are thinking of retiring - will be a sad time
for us if that happens and nobody else takes over because we
have so few places we can eat out at and trust the food to
have the ingredients in them that Mom can eat.

songbird
Geoff Rove
2021-11-23 00:19:10 UTC
Post by songbird
[...]
Sounds like what a rib place used for ribs coating. Actually tasted ok. They must have got sued for using
Ribs r Us and changed to Chicago rib house (of Westmont). Many westmont businesses use some other city in their name like Oak Brook Toyota of Westmont.