Tenderizing beef with baking soda.
US Janet
2021-11-23 17:20:42 UTC
Just trying to keep you updated as to what is going on the the
cooking world.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6707-tenderizing-meat-with-a-baking-soda-solution
Or

"When to add baking soda to ground beef?
Here’s the tip: For every pound of ground beef, a good rule of thumb
is to add about 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and to let the meat sit for
about 15 minutes before cooking. From there, you can throw the ground
beef in a hot, dry pan and cook it up."

Janet US
i***@webtv.net
2021-11-23 20:19:59 UTC
Just trying to keep you updated as to what is going on the the
cooking world.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6707-tenderizing-meat-with-a-baking-soda-solution
Or
"When to add baking soda to ground beef?
Here’s the tip: For every pound of ground beef, a good rule of thumb
is to add about 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and to let the meat sit for
about 15 minutes before cooking. From there, you can throw the ground
beef in a hot, dry pan and cook it up."
Janet US
On "America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Country" they've advocated using baking
soda many times on their shows.
US Janet
yep!
dsi1
2021-11-23 20:27:32 UTC
Just trying to keep you updated as to what is going on the the
cooking world.
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6707-tenderizing-meat-with-a-baking-soda-solution
Or
"When to add baking soda to ground beef?
Here’s the tip: For every pound of ground beef, a good rule of thumb
is to add about 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and to let the meat sit for
about 15 minutes before cooking. From there, you can throw the ground
beef in a hot, dry pan and cook it up."
Janet US
The Chinese have been treating meat in this manner forever. I don't care for what baking soda does to the texture of meat and never do that. I have been using mechanically tenderized beef in Chinese stir fry dishes. It works awesome.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y8GUaGdX5cKSkxYv9
Michael Trew
"Mechanically tenderized"... does that mean beating it with a mallet? Lol
jmcquown
2021-11-24 19:46:04 UTC
[...]
Ever seen cube steaks? They're run through a tenderizing machine.

Jill
heyjoe
2021-11-25 14:53:19 UTC
"Mechanically tenderized"... does that mean beating it with a mallet?  Lol
Ever seen cube steaks? They're run through a tenderizing machine.
For the home cook, look for a jaccard meat tenderizer, e.g.
<https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6>
--
"I jotted down three names: Julia Child, Mr. Wizard and Monty Python"
A. Brown
jmcquown

Jill
heyjoe
2021-11-25 18:24:07 UTC
Post by heyjoe
Post by jmcquown
"Mechanically tenderized"... does that mean beating it with a mallet?ᅵ Lol
Ever seen cube steaks? They're run through a tenderizing machine.
For the home cook, look for a jaccard meat tenderizer, e.g.
<https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6>
That's fun! :)
Jill
I was thinking that was something left over from the Spanish
Inquisition, but "jaccard" doesn't strike me as a Spanish word.
--
American institutions are telling the American public what they
clearly see and understand to be true, is in fact - not true.

For example - Inflation is only "temporary"
The withdrawal from Afghanistan was an "extraordinary success"
The "Build Back Better" agenda costs zero dollars"
Let's go Brandon
Ed Pawlowski

https://www.nameslist.org/surname/Jaccard
Bryan Simmons
2021-11-26 00:01:12 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by heyjoe
Post by jmcquown
Post by heyjoe
"Mechanically tenderized"... does that mean beating it with a mallet?� Lol
Ever seen cube steaks? They're run through a tenderizing machine.
For the home cook, look for a jaccard meat tenderizer, e.g.
<https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6>
That's fun! :)
Jill
I was thinking that was something left over from the Spanish
Inquisition, but "jaccard" doesn't strike me as a Spanish word.
Swiss origin
https://www.nameslist.org/surname/Jaccard
Yep, the Swiss know how to tenderize their steak. Of course, while
rfc has no Swiss posters, we have Americans, Canadians, Brits,
and Aussies--though no one can beat his meat like our resident
pervert nurse.

2021-11-26 01:33:56 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by heyjoe
Post by jmcquown
Post by heyjoe
"Mechanically tenderized"... does that mean beating it with a mallet?� Lol
Ever seen cube steaks?  They're run through a tenderizing machine.
For the home cook, look for a jaccard meat tenderizer, e.g.
<https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6>
That's fun! :)
Jill
I was thinking that was something left over from the Spanish
Inquisition, but "jaccard" doesn't strike me as a Spanish word.
Swiss origin
https://www.nameslist.org/surname/Jaccard
Jaccard is a pattern type on a woman's blouse. :)

Jill
S Viemeister
2021-11-26 03:24:41 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by heyjoe
I was thinking that was something left over from the Spanish
Inquisition, but "jaccard" doesn't strike me as a Spanish word.
Swiss origin
https://www.nameslist.org/surname/Jaccard
Jaccard is a pattern type on a woman's blouse. :)
Different spelling - jacquard. Not so much a pattern 'type', as a
mechanism, invented by a Frenchman named Jacquard.
jmcquown
2021-11-26 18:37:51 UTC
The Chinese have been treating meat in this manner forever. I don't
care for what baking soda does to the texture of meat and never do
that. I have been using mechanically tenderized beef in Chinese stir
fry dishes. It works awesome.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y8GUaGdX5cKSkxYv9
"Mechanically tenderized"... does that mean beating it with a mallet?
Lol
Ever seen cube steaks? They're run through a tenderizing machine.
Jill
Ah, yes, I wondered how they got that texture.  I figured they did
something like that to cheap, tough cuts of meat to make them more usable.
That's exactly the reason. The odd thing I've found is cube steaks,
which even after run through the tenderizer machine more than once,
never get tender, yet they are expensive. I'll buy a more expensive
cuts of meat before I waste money with something like cube(d) steaks.

2021-11-25 15:34:36 UTC
[...]
Close. They run it through a machine with a lot of teeth on it to
pierce and break up the muscle. I do use a mallet type thing to make
piccata and thin the meat.
Yep. I use a mallet to tenderize and break up the muscle for the
tougher cut of meat I use when I make something like Swiss Steak.
I don't think i've ever tried Swiss Steak.
Dave Smith
2021-11-25 17:47:26 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Yep. I use a mallet to tenderize and break up the muscle for the
tougher cut of meat I use when I make something like Swiss Steak.
I don't think i've ever tried Swiss Steak.
My mother used to make Swiss steak and it was pretty good, but I have
not had it in close to 50 years.
jmcquown
2021-11-25 17:53:37 UTC
On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 2:45:35 PM UTC-5,