I played my Djembe to T Rex's "The Slider" before my dinner this evening!
2022-01-01 21:53:10 UTC
And it's gonna be COLD in The Lou this evening.
Results of Global Warming! Hotter Summers, colder Winters, stronger storms, etc. More energy in our atmosphere due to rising CO2 levels! And we stupid Homo Sapiens did it! Via overpopulation and Industry!
Good JOB! ;-)
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
People who laugh at jokes, not because they're funny, but because
they're aimed at their "enemy", are incredibly lame and childish.

John may be 60 or so, but he has the maturity of a 10 year old.
Jeßus
2022-01-01 22:01:48 UTC
And it's gonna be COLD in The Lou this evening.
Results of Global Warming! Hotter Summers, colder Winters, stronger storms, etc. More energy in our atmosphere due to rising CO2 levels! And we stupid Homo Sapiens did it! Via overpopulation and Industry!
'Global warming' is responsible for hotter AND colder weather? The
climate doesn't need us to change, it's done it for 4 billion years,
before mankind even existed. And it will continue to do so, even if we
wipe ourselves out in a nuclear war. The planet would just shrug it
off with... "meh"

And if YOU care about 'global warming', WHY did you do everything in
your power to consume fossil fuels like you do? With your inheritance
you could have bought land and lived off-grid, like we do.

You are a complete fraud. You like to boast about how superior you are
compared to the rest of us. You're just a shameless consumer of
corporate greed, you phoney.

*waits for certain comments from certain ppl here, if they watch this
<G>*
John Kuthe
2022-01-01 22:07:34 UTC
On Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 4:02:04 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
You are a complete fraud. You like to boast about how superior you are
compared to the rest of us.
When? Where? Cite an example, please. :-)

2022-01-01 23:12:42 UTC
You are a complete fraud. You like to boast about how superior you are
compared to the rest of us.
When? Where? Cite an example, please. :-)
My friend, most all of your posts.
Especially the ones where you boast about your 'fossil fuel free' car
that uses electricity generated from fossil fuels... whilst at the
same time denigrating the rest of us for not having an electric car.
Like I said previously, you had the finances to truly live up to your
so-called ideals, but instead you went for 'feel good' choices that
really make not a scrap of difference to helping the environment.
Why do you not live off-grid? You could have, easily. I honestly think
you just enjoy being a consumer of corporate products. Just look at
your silly recent posts about the weed you claim to buy.
It's interesting that you continually try to have a sensible
conversation with a moron over and over and over again. No lessons
learned.
Hank Rogers
2022-01-02 00:57:15 UTC
On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:07:34 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
[...]
I was thinking the same thing about your attempting to sniff his
ass hole.

He pisses in your face, and you come back for more!
Bruce
Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
John Kuthe
2022-01-02 00:23:35 UTC
You are a complete fraud. You like to boast about how superior you are
compared to the rest of us.
When? Where? Cite an example, please. :-)
My friend, most all of your posts.
Especially the ones where you boast about your 'fossil fuel free' car
that uses electricity generated from fossil fuels... whilst at the
same time denigrating the rest of us for not having an electric car.
Nope! I have not posted about my electric car in a long time.

2022-01-02 00:32:40 UTC
You are a complete fraud. You like to boast about how superior you are
compared to the rest of us.
When? Where? Cite an example, please. :-)
My friend, most all of your posts.
Especially the ones where you boast about your 'fossil fuel free' car
that uses electricity generated from fossil fuels... whilst at the
same time denigrating the rest of us for not having an electric car.
Nope! I have not posted about my electric car in a long time.
Yeah. 3 days ago. That's an eternity for you, since you can't
concentrate on any one thing for more than 30 seconds::

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:17:53 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: I'm gonna drive down to get my Fruits and Vegetables
From: John Kuthe <***@bjc.org>

Driving or Riding comfort is priceless.

My Leaf is VERY comfortable and it gets the best mileage! INF-MPG!
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:17:53 -0800 (PST)
Driving or Riding comfort is priceless.
My Leaf is VERY comfortable and it gets the best mileage! INF-MPG!
Wow! You READ a lot into what I do write that I never intended!

Feel guilty?

Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:17:53 -0800 (PST)
Driving or Riding comfort is priceless.
My Leaf is VERY comfortable and it gets the best mileage! INF-MPG!
Wow! You READ a lot into what I do write that I never intended!
Care to reinterpret your comments then? Narcissist.
Post by John Kuthe
Feel guilty?
LOL, what on earth for?

Feel guilty sexually exploiting clients under your care?
Bruce
Bruce
Bruce
2022-01-02 02:29:06 UTC
You are a complete fraud. You like to boast about how superior you are
compared to the rest of us.
When? Where? Cite an example, please. :-)
My friend, most all of your posts.
Especially the ones where you boast about your 'fossil fuel free' car
that uses electricity generated from fossil fuels... whilst at the
same time denigrating the rest of us for not having an electric car.
Nope! I have not posted about my electric car in a long time.
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
We Dutch have a saying about guys like yous,, which is KILL YOURSELF
you loser. no wife no partner no family no friends no job no money and
no hope for the future. Loser. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Michael Trew
2022-01-02 03:17:29 UTC
You are a complete fraud. You like to boast about how superior you are
compared to the rest of us.
When? Where? Cite an example, please. :-)
My friend, most all of your posts.
He's purposely leading you in circles...

Y'all can say what you want, but John knows what he's doing, mind
slipping or not... and he has a hell of a fun time doing it.
Jeßus
2022-01-02 03:22:26 UTC
On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 22:17:29 -0500, Michael Trew
You are a complete fraud. You like to boast about how superior you are
compared to the rest of us.
When? Where? Cite an example, please. :-)
My friend, most all of your posts.
He's purposely leading you in circles...
Y'all can say what you want, but John knows what he's doing,
Some of the time it's intentional, but not always. I know he
structures many of his posts for the responses he gets. That is
obvious.
Post by Michael Trew
mind
slipping or not... and he has a hell of a fun time doing it.
And yet previously you have claimed he was being bullied. He thrives
on the response he gets. Any response.
John Kuthe
2022-01-02 03:52:47 UTC
On Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 9:32:58 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:
Side tangent: I feel the same way about people who constantly OD on
drugs... the ones they keep reviving with narcan, to commit more crimes
and do more drugs. Some actually get ANGRY when their lives are saved,
because you took their high away. My thoughts: 3 strikes, and you're
out... just let them die from drugs at that point; sad as it is, they
are too far gone, and beyond help.
Narcan or Naloxalone is much shorter an action so we must administer several times to keep their respiration up to save their life.

And Narcan blocks the very drug they took to get good and drugged up!

But there is no such drug to block cannabis, which is effective for Bipolar Disorder and my psychiatrist knows this too!

2022-01-02 03:55:51 UTC
Side tangent: I feel the same way about people who constantly OD on
drugs... the ones they keep reviving with narcan, to commit more crimes
and do more drugs. Some actually get ANGRY when their lives are saved,
because you took their high away. My thoughts: 3 strikes, and you're
out... just let them die from drugs at that point; sad as it is, they
are too far gone, and beyond help.
Narcan or Naloxalone is much shorter an action so we must administer several times to keep their respiration up to save their life.
Have you ever administered Narcan? My point being, that if these people
don't want help, you can only help them so many times, and they refuse,
before it's time to call it quits.
Jeßus
2022-01-02 04:33:29 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
mind
slipping or not... and he has a hell of a fun time doing it.
And yet previously you have claimed he was being bullied. He thrives
on the response he gets. Any response.
If I claimed he was being bullied, it was long ago. I'm well aware that
he LOVES the attention, positive or negative. I stopped feeling bad for
him, he's honestly just annoying now.
That's good, at least you understand he's no victim here.
Nobody is bullying him.
I do feel just a bit bad, because
it's clearly mental illness related, but I've hit my limit of caring.
You can only give someone so much advice and help until you have to
write them off.
True.

My own little tangent:

At what point is somebody a 'bad' person VS merely mentally ill? Is
there a difference? Bryan isn't diagnosed with a condition (to my
knowledge) but his posts here are appallingly nasty, as we know.
Was Hitler a bad person or did he have issues beyond his control?
Peadophiles are born with that sexual preference, are they bad people
because they were born that way?
Side tangent: I feel the same way about people who constantly OD on
drugs... the ones they keep reviving with narcan, to commit more crimes
and do more drugs. Some actually get ANGRY when their lives are saved,
because you took their high away. My thoughts: 3 strikes, and you're
out... just let them die from drugs at that point; sad as it is, they
are too far gone, and beyond help.
Until somebody decides for themselves to quit a destructive habit,
nobody can help them.
Michael Trew
2022-01-03 00:41:33 UTC
[...]
Hard to say. As long as pedophiles take steps to stay away from
children, I feel bad for them. Knowing full well that they are doing
wrong, below the age of consent (little known fact: 16 years old in many
US states), I no longer feel bad, because they are "bad". Even if
someone isn't mentally capable of understanding, they still need to be
put away to protect other people from harm if need be.
Bruce
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Graham
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia
Bruce
Michael Trew
Ah, I didn't realize it was exclusive to "prepubescent".
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-03 17:54:46 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Jeßus
[...]
Contrast with "hebephilia" and "ephebophilia".

Cindy Hamilton
Bruce 1
Jeßus
2022-01-04 18:53:12 UTC
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 12:28:26 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Graham
[...]
Many don't and it makes the problem worse, IMO. A significant
difference between pubescent and prepubescent people, sexually.
Jeßus
2022-01-04 20:32:02 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Graham
[...]
I agree. Sexually, and mentally as well. I'm not defending
ephebophilia, but a later teenager is almost a mentally mature adult,
compared to an innocent victimized child.
Yes. At least teenagers are sexual, prepubescent children are not (or
at least very rarely). That makes a big difference IMO.
Bruce 5
Bruce 9
Alex
2022-01-02 04:25:12 UTC
You are a complete fraud. You like to boast about how superior you are
compared to the rest of us.
When? Where? Cite an example, please. :-)
My friend, most all of your posts.
He's purposely leading you in circles...
Y'all can say what you want, but John knows what he's doing, mind
slipping or not... and he has a hell of a fun time doing it.
He knows what he is doing at the moment, lives on memories of his past,
and has no viable plans for his future except smoking expensive weed and
jerking off.  If that is a hell of a fun time for John, great.
Bruce
Ghe?
Mike Duffy
2022-01-02 05:26:19 UTC
Post by Alex
He knows what he is doing at the moment, lives on memories of his past,
and has no viable plans for his future except smoking expensive weed and
jerking off.  If that is a hell of a fun time for John, great.
I have been wasting huge volumes of time scripting DosBox and VirtualBox
to install Windows For Workgroups with Netscape 4.08, Internet Explorer
3.03, and Opera 3.6.2 just to see what the Internet would look like using
those old browsers. It has been a bit of a blast from the past.

Of course, anyone could set up a virtual machine to do that, but I took
the inexplicable tact of authoring a few utilities, patching some
executables, and monkeying with install scripts to actually perform a
complete Windows 3.11 install from distribution.

I even set it up to share files with the host system, mostly to
facilitate scripts to automatically install software. This of course
needs root privilege to downgrade security to circa 1993.

Everyone, please. Can I have a show of hands:

1) You have a Linux system, and are not afraid to install DosBox AND
VirtualBox, and are at least curious enough to run software at the user-
level.

2) You have root access to a Linux system, and are confident enough in
your abilities to look at the scripts before running them. This will
allow the Windows 3.11 system to write files to one designated Linux
mount point. This is only really needed if you intend to develop /
embellish the system.

Note that a lot of 3.11 programs WILL NOT run under the emulated system.
I have included a few games that seem to work okay. Of course, these are
games that I myself played back in the day.

Currently, I am just tidying up. I do feel the need though to install a
few more IDE's to make it easier for anyone who wants to carry on. Now,
it is restricted to BCC 3.0, which is just text-based to support the 3
console-mode apps I needed to write. But Windows apps of the day were
Delphi, Visual Basic, or Borland.

When I am ready, I will set up the files on my web-site and use "Forté
Free Agent 1.11" to announce it here.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-02 10:57:34 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Alex
[...]
3) You have a Linux system and just don't care. As long as a browser
and spider solitaire work, it's all good.

2022-01-02 17:36:05 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
1) You have a Linux system, and are not afraid to install DosBox AND
VirtualBox, and are at least curious enough to run software at the user-
level.
2) You have root access to a Linux system, and are confident enough in
your abilities to look at the scripts before running them. This will
allow the Windows 3.11 system to write files to one designated Linux
mount point. This is only really needed if you intend to develop /
embellish the system.
3) You have a Linux system and just don't care. As long as a browser
and spider solitaire work, it's all good.
Spider Solitaire wasn't distributed until Windows 98. Windows 3.1x
had Minesweeper, Hearts, and Solitaire (Klondike). And of course
"Duke Nuke 'Um" (for me) and "Barbie Dress Up" (for you <ducking>)
were also sold separately.

2022-01-02 17:49:15 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
1) You have a Linux system, and are not afraid to install DosBox AND
VirtualBox, and are at least curious enough to run software at the user-
level.
2) You have root access to a Linux system, and are confident enough in
your abilities to look at the scripts before running them. This will
allow the Windows 3.11 system to write files to one designated Linux
mount point. This is only really needed if you intend to develop /
embellish the system.
3) You have a Linux system and just don't care. As long as a browser
and spider solitaire work, it's all good.
Spider Solitaire wasn't distributed until Windows 98. Windows 3.1x
had Minesweeper, Hearts, and Solitaire (Klondike). And of course
"Duke Nuke 'Um" (for me) and "Barbie Dress Up" (for you <ducking>)
were also sold separately.
Still not caring. I've got Spider Solitaire and Chrome for Fedora. That's
about 99% of what I do on this PC. Once in a blue moon I ssh to work.

2022-01-02 17:54:03 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
1) You have a Linux system, and are not afraid to install DosBox AND
VirtualBox, and are at least curious enough to run software at the user-
level.
2) You have root access to a Linux system, and are confident enough in
your abilities to look at the scripts before running them. This will
allow the Windows 3.11 system to write files to one designated Linux
mount point. This is only really needed if you intend to develop /
embellish the system.
3) You have a Linux system and just don't care. As long as a browser
and spider solitaire work, it's all good.
Spider Solitaire wasn't distributed until Windows 98. Windows 3.1x
had Minesweeper, Hearts, and Solitaire (Klondike). And of course
"Duke Nuke 'Um" (for me) and "Barbie Dress Up" (for you <ducking>)
were also sold separately.
Hey, there's an XP version of "Barbie Dress Up." I know someone who
might enjoy digitally undressing Barbie, and I have a good idea what
he might be doing right around now.
Leave it to you to know that.
Bryan Simmons
2022-01-02 20:05:29 UTC
Post by Bryan Simmons
3) You have a Linux system and just don't care. As long as a browser
and spider solitaire work, it's all good.
Spider Solitaire wasn't distributed until Windows 98. Windows 3.1x
had Minesweeper, Hearts, and Solitaire (Klondike). And of course
"Duke Nuke 'Um" (for me) and "Barbie Dress Up" (for you <ducking>)
were also sold separately.
Hey, there's an XP version of "Barbie Dress Up."
Leave it to you to know that.
This is my frogger.
I know how to use Google.

2022-01-02 20:17:30 UTC
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 12:05:29 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
Post by Bryan Simmons
3) You have a Linux system and just don't care. As long as a browser
and spider solitaire work, it's all good.
Spider Solitaire wasn't distributed until Windows 98. Windows 3.1x
had Minesweeper, Hearts, and Solitaire (Klondike). And of course
"Duke Nuke 'Um" (for me) and "Barbie Dress Up" (for you <ducking>)
were also sold separately.
Hey, there's an XP version of "Barbie Dress Up."
Leave it to you to know that.
This is my frogger.
I know how to use Google.
Can you tell The One And Only from his frogger fans using Google
Groups?
This is my frogger.
Bruce
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Bruce
2022-01-02 18:33:16 UTC
I know someone who might enjoy digitally undressing Barbie,
and I have a good idea what he might be doing right around now.
Please do not speculate. It's the Lord's Day after all.
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Bryan Simmons
2022-01-02 17:56:30 UTC
3) You have a Linux system and just don't care. As long as a browser
and spider solitaire work, it's all good.
I should have added: "Please feel free to add anything else."
I'm sure I can find a working spider; right now I'm looking for a good
frogger, because, you know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiasmocleis_ventrimaculata

2022-01-02 18:34:15 UTC
I'm sure I can find a working spider; right now I'm looking for a good
frogger, because, you know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiasmocleis_ventrimaculata
Fascinating! I wonder why the frog does not eat the baby spiders. I
suppose it's part of the deal.
Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Bruce
2022-01-02 22:21:15 UTC
I'm sure I can find a working spider; right now I'm looking for a good
frogger, because, you know.
Will this work on Linux?? I don't have a clue, you'll have to try it out
for yourself. It does have Mahjong Titans, solitaire, spider solitaire,
chess, etc. You can choose which games you want downloaded.
https://win7games.com/
Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Mike Duffy
2022-01-03 01:10:44 UTC
I'm sure I can find a working spider; right now I'm looking for a good
frogger, because, you know.
Will this work on Linux?? I don't have a clue, you'll have to try it
out for yourself. It does have Mahjong Titans, solitaire, spider
solitaire, chess, etc. You can choose which games you want downloaded.
https://win7games.com/
Maybe, probably under Wine. But I'm looking for Windows 3.11 software to
run in an emulator.
Bruce
Ghe
f***@sdf.org
2022-01-05 15:43:10 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
I'm sure I can find a working spider; right now I'm looking for a good
frogger, because, you know.
Will this work on Linux?? I don't have a clue, you'll have to try it
out for yourself. It does have Mahjong Titans, solitaire, spider
solitaire, chess, etc. You can choose which games you want downloaded.
https://win7games.com/
Maybe, probably under Wine. But I'm looking for Windows 3.11 software to
run in an emulator.
oh. you're LOOKING for Win 3.11. i saw it on a gopher hole (yes, people
still use the gopher protocol) not long ago. i'll see if i can find it.
--
***@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org
Michael Trew
2022-01-05 17:42:05 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Mike Duffy
I'm sure I can find a working spider; right now I'm looking for a good
frogger, because, you know.
Will this work on Linux?? I don't have a clue, you'll have to try it
out for yourself. It does have Mahjong Titans, solitaire, spider
solitaire, chess, etc. You can choose which games you want downloaded.
https://win7games.com/
Maybe, probably under Wine. But I'm looking for Windows 3.11 software to
run in an emulator.
oh. you're LOOKING for Win 3.11. i saw it on a gopher hole (yes, people
still use the gopher protocol) not long ago. i'll see if i can find it.
I have 2-3 full install copies of Win 3.x here... at least two of them
on 3.5" disk, and one copy on 5.25".
Bruce 8

This is my frogger.
f***@sdf.org
2022-01-05 21:09:32 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Mike Duffy
I'm sure I can find a working spider; right now I'm looking for a good
frogger, because, you know.
Will this work on Linux?? I don't have a clue, you'll have to try it
out for yourself. It does have Mahjong Titans, solitaire, spider
solitaire, chess, etc. You can choose which games you want downloaded.
https://win7games.com/
Maybe, probably under Wine. But I'm looking for Windows 3.11 software to
run in an emulator.
oh. you're LOOKING for Win 3.11. i saw it on a gopher hole (yes, people
still use the gopher protocol) not long ago. i'll see if i can find it.
I have 2-3 full install copies of Win 3.x here... at least two of them
on 3.5" disk, and one copy on 5.25".
i had a small room in the basement full of old hardware and software. a
few years ago i took up gardening and on impulse i hauled everything in
that room to the electronics recycler so i could use the room for
overwintering plants. i kind of regret it now. for example i had a
number of US Robotics external modems ranging from 2400 to 56kbps that i
saw no use for, but now i see people are collecting it. i wish i would
have taken stuff like that that worked, along with some serial mice, at
keyboards, power supplies, and whatnot and put an ad on craigslist to
give it away.

i still have a dead 36 inch crt tv sitting in the basement though. but
only because that thing is fucking HEAVY! which reminds me i need to get
some bodies over to haul that thing to a recycler before they eventually
stop taking them. any volunteers? :D
Bruce 7
Ghe Ghe Ghe
Hank Rogers
2022-01-06 01:10:39 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Mike Duffy
[...]
Nah, it's all old junk. My first modem was 300 baud. I later built
a better modem that could do 600 baud, and on some connections even
2400 baud. I got the chip as an engineering sample and built the
circuit on a wire wrap board.

Totally worthless today.
Michael Trew
2022-01-06 05:25:01 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Mike Duffy
[...]
I would gladly help if you lived in Ohio. I have a 29" CRT in my living
room... one of the last fancy RCA's built into huge wooden cabinets.
Even has an S-video port and two RCA ports, plus a wireless remote
control... circa 1992. Oh, this is my only television, save a couple of
B&W sets in the cellar... lol.
f***@sdf.org
2022-01-06 20:57:07 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
i still have a dead 36 inch crt tv sitting in the basement though. but
only because that thing is fucking HEAVY! which reminds me i need to get
some bodies over to haul that thing to a recycler before they eventually
stop taking them. any volunteers? :D
I would gladly help if you lived in Ohio. I have a 29" CRT in my living
room... one of the last fancy RCA's built into huge wooden cabinets.
Even has an S-video port and two RCA ports, plus a wireless remote
control... circa 1992. Oh, this is my only television, save a couple of
B&W sets in the cellar... lol.
that dead 36 inch has about the same specs. S-Video port and BNC
connection. that thing croaked about 10 years ago. my only tv now is a
Panasonic 65" plasma i bought new just as they stopped making them. i've
got it, the sound system, bluray player and roku streaming box all
connected to an APC (the company that makes battery backups) power
conditioner / surge protector with the premise that stable power will
increase the life if it. for me it was a couple hundred bucks well spent
so far, tv is 8 years old and still looks like new.
Michael Trew
2022-01-05 17:43:16 UTC
that's about where i'm at. after nearly a decade break from Usenet and
Unix, i'm getting all the Unix fix i need here using remote shells at
the Super Dimensional Fortress.
We've been asked to work from home (again). ssh has been getting
a workout.
Cindy Hamilton
How can you train your replacement from home?
GM
2022-01-05 17:52:47 UTC
that's about where i'm at. after nearly a decade break from Usenet and
Unix, i'm getting all the Unix fix i need here using remote shells at
the Super Dimensional Fortress.
We've been asked to work from home (again). ssh has been getting
a workout.
Cindy Hamilton
How can you train your replacement from home?
Easy, since Covid workplaces have been training new hires entirely remotely, our org has
new folks that have been trained entirely online via Zoom, Teams, etc... they did not come into
the office for over a year after they were hired...

People are being hired entirely remotely, no in - person interviews, etc...

It's "the new normal" for the time being...
Bruce 8

This is my frogger.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-05 19:12:00 UTC
that's about where i'm at. after nearly a decade break from Usenet and
Unix, i'm getting all the Unix fix i need here using remote shells at
the Super Dimensional Fortress.
We've been asked to work from home (again). ssh has been getting
a workout.
Cindy Hamilton
How can you train your replacement from home?
Zoom. E-mail. Telephone. Instant messaging.

Ah, I guess I imagined an engineering job being more hands-on.
Arn0
Engineers don't really do anything. With their hands, I mean :)
Bryan Simmons
2022-01-06 10:26:23 UTC
Post by Arn0
On Thu, 06 Jan 2022 00:25:42 -0500, Michael Trew
that's about where i'm at. after nearly a decade break from Usenet and
Unix, i'm getting all the Unix fix i need here using remote shells at
the Super Dimensional Fortress.
We've been asked to work from home (again). ssh has been getting
a workout.
Cindy Hamilton
How can you train your replacement from home?
Zoom. E-mail. Telephone. Instant messaging.
Cindy Hamilton
Ah, I guess I imagined an engineering job being more hands-on.
Engineers don't really do anything. With their hands, I mean :)
Kuthe has a degree in electronic engineering, and we know what
he does with *his* hands. He's got the jerkin' hand, and he's got
the cuppin' hand.

2022-01-06 12:03:05 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
Ah, I guess I imagined an engineering job being more hands-on.
Engineers don't really do anything. With their hands, I mean :)
Kuthe has a degree in electronic engineering, and we know what
he does with *his* hands. He's got the jerkin' hand, and he's got
the cuppin' hand.
Bryan, there are more appropriate groups for sharing your sexual
fantasies. You're becoming as bad as Ed.
You know, 9 out of 10 people are jerk handed, and only 1 in 10
are cup handed. Fun fact: Jimi Hendrix played a jerk handed
guitar cup handed.

2022-01-06 10:20:40 UTC
that's about where i'm at. after nearly a decade break from Usenet and
Unix, i'm getting all the Unix fix i need here using remote shells at
the Super Dimensional Fortress.
We've been asked to work from home (again). ssh has been getting
a workout.
Cindy Hamilton
How can you train your replacement from home?
Zoom. E-mail. Telephone. Instant messaging.
Cindy Hamilton
Ah, I guess I imagined an engineering job being more hands-on.
I work in the software department.

Anybody working on a driver for I/O devices will come in to poke
it with some sort of measuring device (multimeter, CANalyzer, etc.)
but that's not what I'm training my replacement to do.

2022-01-07 02:27:22 UTC
that's about where i'm at. after nearly a decade break from Usenet and
Unix, i'm getting all the Unix fix i need here using remote shells at
the Super Dimensional Fortress.
We've been asked to work from home (again). ssh has been getting
a workout.
Cindy Hamilton
How can you train your replacement from home?
Zoom. E-mail. Telephone. Instant messaging.
Cindy Hamilton
Ah, I guess I imagined an engineering job being more hands-on.
I work in the software department.
Anybody working on a driver for I/O devices will come in to poke
it with some sort of measuring device (multimeter, CANalyzer, etc.)
but that's not what I'm training my replacement to do.
Cindy Hamilton
Ah, I see.

Upon further consideration, "Replacement" is almost de-humanizing to the
replacor and replacee... "Successor", perhaps? :)
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-07 09:38:51 UTC
[...]
No problem. I call him my replacement as well. But nobody thinks a guy
who's been with the company for 62 days will replace my 33 (and change)
years. My boss gets an eye-twitch when I remind him I've got
16 working days to go.

2022-01-07 19:02:18 UTC
[...]
You could always offer consultation service after the 16 days, for a
fee... $$$ ;)
Bruce 7
Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Bruce 7
Secure SHell!
Bruce 7

This is my frogger.
f***@sdf.org
2022-01-05 21:29:18 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Alex
[...]
i work for a company which designs and builds automation systems. it
was just a few months ago we got everyone back. managers, engineers,
software developers, and even some IT staff were working remotely. i
haven't yet heard anything about doing it again. and speaking of IT
staff, it would not surprise me at all if none of them know what ssh
is.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-06 10:16:17 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Alex
[...]
A strictly PC outfit, then?

I work for a company that integrates computer systems and software
for simulation of high-demand control systems like aircraft brakes,
tank hydraulics, aircraft engines, etc. Our products run various flavors of
real-time Unix, but the customers' user interface is typically Windows.

2022-01-02 20:50:54 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Alex
[...]
You need to buy yourself an altair 8800.
This is not my frogger.
Bruce
2022-01-03 00:54:28 UTC
On Sun, 02 Jan 2022 19:35:06 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Alex
[...]
I have a Gateway 2000 computer from 1994 here, upgrade to 32 MB RAM, 700
MB hard disk, 60 MHz Pentium 1, etc. It has a 3.5" and 5.25" combo
floppy drive. It has an actualy DOS 6.1 and Windows 3.11/workgroups
install on it.
upgrade Internet Explorer to 5.0 with Windows 3.11; you will have some
luck with older HTTP-only websites. I have the TCP/IP stack set up. It
only works on the internal 33Kb/s dial up modem, but I have an Ethernet
card that is compatible somewhere around here.
I don't mess around with DOS box or other stuff, it's only fun for me to
toy around with it on actual hardware. I have at least a dozen
computers from this era in storage here, my mom's house, or my father's
house in the cellar.
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Leonard Blaisdell
2022-01-04 04:21:05 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
I have been wasting huge volumes of time scripting DosBox and VirtualBox
to install Windows For Workgroups with Netscape 4.08, Internet Explorer
3.03, and Opera 3.6.2 just to see what the Internet would look like using
those old browsers. It has been a bit of a blast from the past.
I'm unfamiliar with Microsoft. I used to be decent with Linux. I
used Mosaic until Netscape 0.96 beta came out. If you want to
see how the WWW used to look, install Lynx. It's still around.
Bruce 1
Michael Trew
2022-01-04 20:22:17 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Mike Duffy
I have been wasting huge volumes of time scripting DosBox and VirtualBox
to install Windows For Workgroups with Netscape 4.08, Internet Explorer
3.03, and Opera 3.6.2 just to see what the Internet would look like using
those old browsers. It has been a bit of a blast from the past.
I'm unfamiliar with Microsoft. I used to be decent with Linux. I
used Mosaic until Netscape 0.96 beta came out.
What computing platform do you use? Macintosh?
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
If you want to
see how the WWW used to look, install Lynx. It's still around.
I haven't tinkered much with that old text based browser, but I'm amazed
that it's supported to the extent that it still functions on HTTPS
sites. I've been told that you can jump through hoops to even use it on
the WWW via an MS DOS computer today.
Bruce 5
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-06 20:15:46 UTC
What computing platform do you use? Macintosh?
Yep, since 1985, I have only run Apple products. I ran Linux on the Mac
from around 1995 until OSX Leopard came out. Since OSX in Unix, I didn't
need Linux anymore.
When you say "Unix", what specifically do you mean?

2022-01-06 20:21:34 UTC
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 12:15:46 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Cindy Hamilton
What computing platform do you use? Macintosh?
Yep, since 1985, I have only run Apple products. I ran Linux on the Mac
from around 1995 until OSX Leopard came out. Since OSX in Unix, I didn't
need Linux anymore.
When you say "Unix", what specifically do you mean?
Maybe it was a typo:
<https://www.hollandshop24.com/media/image/product/82/md/unox-erwtensoep-hollaendische-erbsensuppe-800ml.webp>
This is my frogger. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Leonard Blaisdell
2022-01-06 23:30:35 UTC
When you say "Unix", what specifically do you mean?
BSD UNIX. Check it out and get back to me. I await your arguments.

leo
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-07 09:35:45 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Cindy Hamilton
When you say "Unix", what specifically do you mean?
BSD UNIX. Check it out and get back to me. I await your arguments.
leo
I'm not arguing. I've just always considered Unix to be a family:
SYS5, SunOS, Ultrix, HP-UX, Linux, Lynx, AIX, etc.

Cindy Hamilton
f***@sdf.org
2022-01-07 12:46:43 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Cindy Hamilton
When you say "Unix", what specifically do you mean?
BSD UNIX. Check it out and get back to me. I await your arguments.
SYS5, SunOS, Ultrix, HP-UX, Linux, Lynx, AIX, etc.
"Lynx"

the web browser came to mind. lol she's confused i thought. was about to
get my flame thrower out but decided to check before i torched myself.

LynxOS - a real time Unix operating system.

today i learned.

lived to talk about it, too.

thanks.

:D
Mike Duffy
2022-01-07 14:19:11 UTC
Obviously, there are a ton I didn't mention,
Slowaris. (Sun).
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-07 14:39:48 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Obviously, there are a ton I didn't mention,
Slowaris. (Sun).
Ah. SunOS 5. None of us were fooled when Sun started
calling it Solaris.

Cindy Hamilton
f***@sdf.org
2022-01-07 14:25:57 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Cindy Hamilton
When you say "Unix", what specifically do you mean?
BSD UNIX. Check it out and get back to me. I await your arguments.
SYS5, SunOS, Ultrix, HP-UX, Linux, Lynx, AIX, etc.
"Lynx"
the web browser came to mind. lol she's confused i thought. was about to
get my flame thrower out but decided to check before i torched myself.
LynxOS - a real time Unix operating system.
today i learned.
Stop learning, start dying.
every living thing on this planet owes a life. we start dying the day we
are born.

so, there's that. ;)
A couple weeks ago I learned a new #!/bin/sh construct. I'll probably
never use it again, though.
Post by f***@sdf.org
lived to talk about it, too.
thanks.
And I subsequently recalled IRIX, for Silicon Graphics.
the only commercial Unix i've used was IRIX. Was back in the 90's on a
pair of SGI Indigo's. the challenge was to get non-licensed copies of
IRIX running on them, and also a bootleg copy of Unigraphics, known now
as Siemens NX. mission accomplished. i eventually lost interest and ended
up giving them away.
f***@sdf.org
2022-01-05 14:53:43 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Alex
He knows what he is doing at the moment, lives on memories of his past,
and has no viable plans for his future except smoking expensive weed and
jerking off.  If that is a hell of a fun time for John, great.
I have been wasting huge volumes of time scripting DosBox and VirtualBox
to install Windows For Workgroups with Netscape 4.08, Internet Explorer
3.03, and Opera 3.6.2 just to see what the Internet would look like using
those old browsers. It has been a bit of a blast from the past.
that was me from the early 90's until the late 2000's, always tinkering
with computers.
Post by Mike Duffy
Of course, anyone could set up a virtual machine to do that, but I took
the inexplicable tact of authoring a few utilities, patching some
executables, and monkeying with install scripts to actually perform a
complete Windows 3.11 install from distribution.
at my last job was a machine tool, mid-90's vintage, running MS-DOS 6.22
and WFW 3.11. the machine control (CNC vertical mill) was a WFW
application and would not run on any other operating systems. period. it
was a challenge to keep it running, and fortunately we had a huge room
full of old hardware to cannibalize from when required. even had the
machine on a Windows network using LANMAN for DOS and some registry hacks
on the domain controllers. took more registry hacking when we upgraded
to Windows Server 2012 from 2003. the best way to motivate me is tell me
something can't done. oh yeah? watch this, motherfuckers. :D
Post by Mike Duffy
I even set it up to share files with the host system, mostly to
facilitate scripts to automatically install software. This of course
needs root privilege to downgrade security to circa 1993.
1) You have a Linux system, and are not afraid to install DosBox AND
VirtualBox, and are at least curious enough to run software at the user-
level.
i have a FreeBSD (7.2 iirc) system in which Linux emulation is installed.
however, the 1U blade server it is installed on has been leaning up against
a wall in my basement for 11 years. if it even still powers up without
letting the smoke escape, and the 4 disks (raid array) spin up, i might
remember the root password. the last things i remember using it for is a
private Usenet server for friends, a private America's Army Game server
under Linux emulation for my son and friends they used to develop maps
and practice on, as well as a Teamspeak server for them.
Post by Mike Duffy
[...]
what's wrong with rn, trn, tin, slrn, pine with nntp extension, mutt may
have a nntp extension also, or my favorite news reader, slrn, in a Unix
shell? that way, you'd be using some software that predates the internet
when Usenet news was propagated between Unix systems with the UUCP
protocol. if you're gonna do nostalgia, do nostalgia! :)
Michael Trew
2022-01-05 17:40:55 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Alex
He knows what he is doing at the moment, lives on memories of his past,
and has no viable plans for his future except smoking expensive weed and
jerking off. If that is a hell of a fun time for John, great.
I have been wasting huge volumes of time scripting DosBox and VirtualBox
to install Windows For Workgroups with Netscape 4.08, Internet Explorer
3.03, and Opera 3.6.2 just to see what the Internet would look like using
those old browsers. It has been a bit of a blast from the past.
that was me from the early 90's until the late 2000's, always tinkering
with computers.
Same here... well, I was a child in the late 90's early 2000's, but
family members gave me their old computer systems. I did a lot of
tinkering. I could have easily kept it up, and worked on modern
machines, but I just don't care about systems from the last 10 years or
so. Still using Windows 7. I think I'm going to start selling off
those old machines. I still have a couple dozen of them, and I cannot
believe the price that they are commanding on eBay now!
Mike Duffy
2022-01-05 21:49:41 UTC
Hold them; they'll appreciate if they still run.
Michael Trew
2022-01-06 05:22:14 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
I think I'm going to start selling off those old machines.
I still have a couple dozen of them, and I cannot
believe the price that they are commanding on eBay now!
Hold them; they'll appreciate if they still run.
Most of which do, all from circa 1992 - 2005. I do need to get them out
of my parents basements... I don't think they much appreciate me keeping
them there in long term storage.
Mike Duffy
2022-01-05 21:48:01 UTC
the best way to motivate me is tell me something can't done.
oh yeah? watch this, motherfuckers. :D
I hear you. That's what they (Virtualbox community) always say about
Windows networking other than the IPX emulation.

(Not supported; won't ever be supported; don't waste any time asking
about it; yadayadada.)
Michael Trew
Why not use actual hardware? More fun that way. :)
Mike Duffy
2022-01-06 14:53:27 UTC
Why not use actual hardware? More fun that way. :)
True. But emulators make the experience more widely available. This
despite that it's easier to run DOS/Window 3.11 under Linux than under
Windows 7. I never tried under Windows 10.
Arn0
2022-01-06 18:52:43 UTC
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 08:39:06 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
Post by Mike Duffy
Why not use actual hardware? More fun that way. :)
True. But emulators make the experience more widely available. This
despite that it's easier to run DOS/Window 3.11 under Linux than under
Windows 7. I never tried under Windows 10.
When I quit my church job in Oct. of 2013, the computer that
controlled all of the HVAC was still running on DOS 3.x.
Maybe it still is. It was also still printing out reports on a dot
matrix printer.
2022-01-07 02:22:57 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Michael Trew
Why not use actual hardware? More fun that way. :)
True. But emulators make the experience more widely available. This
despite that it's easier to run DOS/Window 3.11 under Linux than under
Windows 7. I never tried under Windows 10.
I couldn't say, I've never tried emulating, I've always had a stack of
old computers on hand. I went through many steps to make my current PC
backwards compatible. The motherboard took ages to find when I built
it, because I wanted an internal 3.5" floppy drive. I have it, and it
works... although it only sees use about twice per year. Usually to
transfer data to/from some ancient computer, actually.
Dave Smith
2022-01-07 03:45:50 UTC
On Thu, 06 Jan 2022 21:22:57 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Michael Trew
Why not use actual hardware? More fun that way. :)
True. But emulators make the experience more widely available. This
despite that it's easier to run DOS/Window 3.11 under Linux than under
Windows 7. I never tried under Windows 10.
I couldn't say, I've never tried emulating
I thought you were permanently emulating Ebenezer Scrooge.
2022-01-01 22:55:23 UTC
And it's gonna be COLD in The Lou this evening.
Results of Global Warming! Hotter Summers, colder Winters, stronger
storms, etc. More energy in our atmosphere due to rising CO2 levels!
And we stupid Homo Sapiens did it! Via overpopulation and Industry!
'Global warming' is responsible for hotter AND colder weather? The
climate doesn't need us to change, it's done it for 4 billion years,
before mankind even existed. And it will continue to do so, even if we
wipe ourselves out in a nuclear war. The planet would just shrug it
off with... "meh"
Signed: Jebus, right-wing shock jock
Uhm Ghe
Bruce
2022-01-02 01:34:04 UTC
And it's gonna be COLD in The Lou this evening.
Results of Global Warming! Hotter Summers, colder Winters, stronger storms, etc. More energy in our atmosphere due to rising CO2 levels! And we stupid Homo Sapiens did it! Via overpopulation and Industry!
'Global warming' is responsible for hotter AND colder weather? The
climate doesn't need us to change, it's done it for 4 billion years,
before mankind even existed. And it will continue to do so, even if we
wipe ourselves out in a nuclear war. The planet would just shrug it
off with... "meh"
Signed: Jebus, right-wing shock jock
With commentary by the one true master.
Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.