Dinner tonight:
2021-11-21 09:28:58 UTC
Mrs had beef medallion with a roast garlic sauce, salad and veggies.

I had the confit duck leg - crispy skinned duck leg placed on oven
roasted potatoes served w char grilled peaches, mint, salted almonds &
a snow pea salad.

https://www.cataractonpaterson.com.au/menu01/

We're staying right next door to the restaurant, so was an easy
choice.
bruce bowser
2021-11-21 21:31:45 UTC
Mrs had beef medallion with a roast garlic sauce, salad and veggies.
That sounds like MickyD Big Macs, but only the burger. No bread or any other fixings.
Jeßus
2021-11-22 01:51:54 UTC
You nailed it.
Michael Trew
2021-11-21 23:34:04 UTC
Mrs had beef medallion with a roast garlic sauce, salad and veggies.
I had the confit duck leg - crispy skinned duck leg placed on oven
roasted potatoes served w char grilled peaches, mint, salted almonds&
a snow pea salad.
https://www.cataractonpaterson.com.au/menu01/
We're staying right next door to the restaurant, so was an easy
choice.
Cataract? Do they have trouble seeing the food? Lol

I can't say that I've ever tried duck, but they make it sound
appetizing... I flipped through their main menu (Mains?).
Jeßus
2021-11-22 01:54:31 UTC
On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 18:34:04 -0500, Michael Trew
Mrs had beef medallion with a roast garlic sauce, salad and veggies.
I had the confit duck leg - crispy skinned duck leg placed on oven
roasted potatoes served w char grilled peaches, mint, salted almonds&
a snow pea salad.
https://www.cataractonpaterson.com.au/menu01/
We're staying right next door to the restaurant, so was an easy
choice.
Cataract? Do they have trouble seeing the food? Lol
Oh, that's in reference to this:
https://www.launcestoncataractgorge.com.au/
Post by Michael Trew
I can't say that I've ever tried duck, but they make it sound
appetizing... I flipped through their main menu (Mains?).
Really?? You may find you've really been missing out (or not :)
I love duck, including duck eggs. Duck confit is high on my list of
favourite foods.
Michael Trew
2021-11-23 04:30:28 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
I can't say that I've ever tried duck, but they make it sound
appetizing... I flipped through their main menu (Mains?).
Really?? You may find you've really been missing out (or not :)
I love duck, including duck eggs. Duck confit is high on my list of
favourite foods.
I'm not one for "fine dining". I'm not sure if you have Olive Garden
type restaurants down there (typical chain restaurants here), but that's
a "fancy dining" for me.
Bruce
Do you wear a tie when you go to McDonalds?
Hank Rogers
Only if he expects you to usher him in and sniff his ass.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-23 10:00:34 UTC
Post by Jeßus
[...]
Duck need not be "fine dining". My husband's hunting buddy has started
raising chickens and ducks; she gives him eggs once in a while. IIRC
he said duck eggs are not much different from chicken eggs. Duck
can be purchased at the grocery store. The thing with confit is that
you already have to have some fat to cook it in, so it's a tricky dish
to bootstrap:

<https://www.seriouseats.com/classic-duck-confit-recipe>

Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.

2021-11-23 15:17:06 UTC
Duck need not be "fine dining". My husband's hunting buddy has started
raising chickens and ducks; she gives him eggs once in a while. IIRC
he said duck eggs are not much different from chicken eggs. Duck
can be purchased at the grocery store. The thing with confit is that
you already have to have some fat to cook it in, so it's a tricky dish
<https://www.seriouseats.com/classic-duck-confit-recipe>
I think of confit as being sort of like sourdough in that you need a
starter. You need to roast a couple ducks and collect the rendered fat
from them to cook the legs. The good thing is that you don't have to
cook that man ducks to get enough at to make confit with the legs, U
have watched ducks roasting in the oven and you can actually see them
shrinking as they cook.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
There is that to them too. I have had such bad luck roasting ducks that
I have sworn off them. It's just not worth the money and effort to cook
one that is likely to turn out badly.
jmcquown
2021-11-23 23:19:31 UTC
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
There is that to them too. I have had such bad luck roasting ducks that
I have sworn off them. It's just not worth the money and effort to cook
one that is likely to turn out badly.
I've never roasted a whole duck. I can find frozen already roasted duck
*halves* in the freezer case. Mapleleaf Farms is the brand. It's been
a while but a couple or three years ago I bought one and thawed and
reheated it in the oven for Thanksgiving. It tastes quite nice. They
aren't cheap, IIRC about $12-14 for half a roasted duck. No fuss and I
could concentrate on making the side dishes. :)

Jill
US Janet
2021-11-24 03:30:26 UTC
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
There is that to them too. I have had such bad luck roasting ducks that
I have sworn off them. It's just not worth the money and effort to cook
one that is likely to turn out badly.
I've never roasted a whole duck. I can find frozen already roasted duck
*halves* in the freezer case. Mapleleaf Farms is the brand. It's been
a while but a couple or three years ago I bought one and thawed and
reheated it in the oven for Thanksgiving. It tastes quite nice. They
aren't cheap, IIRC about $12-14 for half a roasted duck. No fuss and I
could concentrate on making the side dishes. :)
Jill
I didn't know such a thing was available. I'll have to look.
Janet US
jmcquown
2021-11-24 20:00:43 UTC
Post by US Janet
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
There is that to them too. I have had such bad luck roasting ducks that
I have sworn off them. It's just not worth the money and effort to cook
one that is likely to turn out badly.
I've never roasted a whole duck. I can find frozen already roasted duck
*halves* in the freezer case. Mapleleaf Farms is the brand. It's been
a while but a couple or three years ago I bought one and thawed and
reheated it in the oven for Thanksgiving. It tastes quite nice. They
aren't cheap, IIRC about $12-14 for half a roasted duck. No fuss and I
could concentrate on making the side dishes. :)
Jill
I didn't know such a thing was available. I'll have to look.
Janet US
Google it and see if your grocery store carries it. I looked when I
posted this yesterday and discovered my grocery store also has frozen
*uncooked* duck breast from the same brand. I'll stick with letting
Mapleleaf Farms do the roasting for me. ;)

Oh, the ones I find are intended to be served as Duck l'Orange. It
comes with a packet of sauce. Do you have a Costco nearby? It appears
they carry this brand.

Jill
US Janet
2021-11-24 21:18:56 UTC
Post by US Janet
[...]
Costco, as other stores, stockes seasonally and for their mix of
customers. I've never seen duck there but I will look.
Janet US
jmcquown
2021-11-24 22:45:02 UTC
Post by US Janet
Post by jmcquown
Post by US Janet
[...]
I Googled Mapleleaf Farms and Costco popped up. I'd have to drive to
Savannah, Georgia to shop at Costco (and get a Costco membership). Just
thought I'd mention Costco in case you have one nearby. I don't recall
what regular supermarket/grocery store you have available.

Jill
US Janet
2021-11-25 00:30:14 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 17:45:02 -0500, jmcquown <***@comcast.net>
snip
Post by jmcquown
I Googled Mapleleaf Farms and Costco popped up. I'd have to drive to
Savannah, Georgia to shop at Costco (and get a Costco membership). Just
thought I'd mention Costco in case you have one nearby. I don't recall
what regular supermarket/grocery store you have available.
Jill
thank you. I appreciate you letting me know.
Janet US
Michael Trew
2021-11-24 17:18:58 UTC
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
There is that to them too. I have had such bad luck roasting ducks
that I have sworn off them. It's just not worth the money and effort
to cook one that is likely to turn out badly.
I've never roasted a whole duck. I can find frozen already roasted duck
*halves* in the freezer case. Mapleleaf Farms is the brand. It's been a
while but a couple or three years ago I bought one and thawed and
reheated it in the oven for Thanksgiving. It tastes quite nice. They
aren't cheap, IIRC about $12-14 for half a roasted duck. No fuss and I
could concentrate on making the side dishes. :)
Jill
Hmm, I'd be more likely to try a half frozen duck, since I've never had
it to begin with. I'll have to look for that.
jmcquown
2021-11-24 20:06:52 UTC
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
There is that to them too. I have had such bad luck roasting ducks
that I have sworn off them. It's just not worth the money and effort
to cook one that is likely to turn out badly.
I've never roasted a whole duck. I can find frozen already roasted duck
*halves* in the freezer case. Mapleleaf Farms is the brand. It's been a
while but a couple or three years ago I bought one and thawed and
reheated it in the oven for Thanksgiving. It tastes quite nice. They
aren't cheap, IIRC about $12-14 for half a roasted duck. No fuss and I
could concentrate on making the side dishes. :)
Jill
Hmm, I'd be more likely to try a half frozen duck, since I've never had
it to begin with.  I'll have to look for that.
The first time I ever tasted duck was on the extremely long flight to
Bangkok when I was a kid. IIRC we had a choice of steak or duck for
dinner. My father convinced me to try roasted duck and it was
delicious. I hadn't really thought about duck again in a very long
time. Finding the frozen roasted half duck in the freezer case was nice
surprise and made for a nice change. I'll have to add it to my shopping
list. :)

2021-11-23 18:46:38 UTC
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 02:00:34 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Jeßus
[...]
Duck eggs are different to chicken eggs. Thicker consistency and
stronger taste. I like them. They're ideal for baking too. Our ducks
are cranking the eggs out at the moment, more than a dozen a day.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Duck
can be purchased at the grocery store. The thing with confit is that
you already have to have some fat to cook it in, so it's a tricky dish
<https://www.seriouseats.com/classic-duck-confit-recipe>
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
You can buy duck fat, even in Australian supermarkets. It's arguably
the best quality fat to cook with too.
S Viemeister
2021-11-23 18:50:32 UTC
Duck eggs are different to chicken eggs. Thicker consistency and
stronger taste. I like them. They're ideal for baking too. Our ducks
are cranking the eggs out at the moment, more than a dozen a day.
I love them for baking. They have a higher proportion of yolk to white,
than chicken eggs.
Jeßus
2021-11-23 18:58:17 UTC
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:50:32 +0000, S Viemeister
Post by S Viemeister
Post by Jeßus
Duck eggs are different to chicken eggs. Thicker consistency and
stronger taste. I like them. They're ideal for baking too. Our ducks
are cranking the eggs out at the moment, more than a dozen a day.
I love them for baking. They have a higher proportion of yolk to white,
than chicken eggs.
Yes, and more glutinous in consistency which is great for cakes and
things. I'm never much been into baking myself, apart from bread
though.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-23 19:06:44 UTC
Post by Jeßus
[...]
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.

At farmer's markets, the vendors usually know where in the area you can get them, though.
bruce bowser
And now-a-days, the internet can help you find things sold locally, too. (it goes without saying)
Jeßus
2021-11-23 19:22:30 UTC
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 11:06:44 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Jeßus
[...]
Oh man. There are no words how much I don't like hotdogs :)
That taste and texture... GAG.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-23 20:07:20 UTC
Post by Jeßus
[...]
I just intuitively knew that hotdogs were the right thing to mention.
Your reaction met all my expectations.

Is that good or bad?
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-23 20:21:37 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Oh man. There are no words how much I don't like hotdogs :)
That taste and texture... GAG.
I just intuitively knew that hotdogs were the right thing to mention.
Your reaction met all my expectations.
Is that good or bad?
Good. I don't like hot dogs very much, although my reaction is nowhere near
as strong as yours. I'd rather have duck.

2021-11-23 20:41:02 UTC
On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 12:21:37 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Oh man. There are no words how much I don't like hotdogs :)
That taste and texture... GAG.
I just intuitively knew that hotdogs were the right thing to mention.
Your reaction met all my expectations.
Is that good or bad?
Good. I don't like hot dogs very much, although my reaction is nowhere near
as strong as yours. I'd rather have duck.
That particular hotdog taste is just one of things I'm never going to
enjoy.
bruce bowser
Duck tastes bad without something like cooking wine to cover some of the taste though, IMO.
Jeßus
LOL. Why eat it at all if you don't like it.
jmcquown
2021-11-23 23:47:13 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Oh man. There are no words how much I don't like hotdogs :)
That taste and texture... GAG.
I just intuitively knew that hotdogs were the right thing to mention.
Your reaction met all my expectations.
Is that good or bad?
Good. I don't like hot dogs very much, although my reaction is nowhere near
as strong as yours. I'd rather have duck.
Duck tastes bad without something like cooking wine to cover some of the taste though, IMO.
LOL. Why eat it at all if you don't like it.
bowser doesn't eat anything that isn't microwaveable or fast food.

ghe ghe
Sheldon Martin
2021-11-23 19:56:36 UTC
Post by Jeßus
[...]
I buy hotdogs and I've never seen more than 3-4 kinds... I usually buy
Sabrett... those in natural casing are very good.
I very rarely see anything duck. Very occasionaly I've had duck at a
Chinese restaurant, always a crap shoot and I typically lose. I see
nothing good about quack, always very fatty.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-23 20:20:23 UTC
I buy hotdogs and I've never seen more than 3-4 kinds... I usually buy
Sabrett... those in natural casing are very good.
Oscar Mayer, Ball Park, Koegel, Dearborn, Kowalski, Hebrew National,
Applegate Natural, Jennie-O, Nathan's.
Beef, pork, turkey.
Standard length, bun length, extra large.

Oh, yeah. Easily 50 kinds of hot dogs.
Post by Sheldon Martin
I very rarely see anything duck. Very occasionaly I've had duck at a
Chinese restaurant, always a crap shoot and I typically lose. I see
nothing good about quack, always very fatty.
The fat on a duck is located principally under the skin. It's very easy
to avoid.

Cindy, those Jennie-O turkey burgers are sooo, sooo good. Especially if you cook them on the griddle.
Ed Pawlowski
2021-11-23 22:12:47 UTC
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
You can buy duck fat, even in Australian supermarkets. It's arguably
the best quality fat to cook with too.
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
I buy hotdogs and I've never seen more than 3-4 kinds... I usually buy
Sabrett... those in natural casing are very good.
I very rarely see anything duck. Very occasionaly I've had duck at a
Chinese restaurant, always a crap shoot and I typically lose. I see
nothing good about quack, always very fatty.
They show thirty on the first of four pages here. They do list Sabrett too.

https://www.publix.com/search?searchTerm=Hot%20Dogs&srt=products
Bruce
There's almost as many sorts of wieners it seems as there are slang terms for "penis"...
Sheldon Martin
2021-11-23 22:54:30 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
You can buy duck fat, even in Australian supermarkets. It's arguably
the best quality fat to cook with too.
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
I buy hotdogs and I've never seen more than 3-4 kinds... I usually buy
Sabrett... those in natural casing are very good.
I very rarely see anything duck. Very occasionaly I've had duck at a
Chinese restaurant, always a crap shoot and I typically lose. I see
nothing good about quack, always very fatty.
They show thirty on the first of four pages here. They do list Sabrett too.
https://www.publix.com/search?searchTerm=Hot%20Dogs&srt=products
There are a lot more than thirty different hot dogs but it's rare to
shop in a store that sells more than 3 maybe 4 brands. And it's not
easy to find a store that sells Sabrett in natural casing, simply
because most people won't pay the price... they're still made, you can
buy them on line. Used to be common that butcher shops made their own
but not many anymore... mostly because laws have changed about
preserving and smoking meat on the premises.
Michael Trew
2021-11-24 17:20:31 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Sheldon Martin
[...]
I don't like hot dogs one bit, but if I found natural casing smoked
wieners, I'd give it a go. My grocer is small, and typically only has
the cheap, disgusting national brands.
jmcquown
2021-11-23 23:28:44 UTC
Duck is more expensive than chicken, though.
You can buy duck fat, even in Australian supermarkets. It's arguably
the best quality fat to cook with too.
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
I buy hotdogs and I've never seen more than 3-4 kinds... I usually buy
Sabrett... those in natural casing are very good.
I very rarely see anything duck.  Very occasionaly I've had duck at a
Chinese restaurant, always a crap shoot and I typically lose.  I see
nothing good about quack, always very fatty.
They show thirty on the first of four pages here.  They do list Sabrett
too.
https://www.publix.com/search?searchTerm=Hot%20Dogs&srt=products
My local Publix lists 79! Of course there are the different varities:
all beef, all pork, beef & pork, turkey, chicken; natural casings, no
casings, cured, uncured, yada yada yada. I doubt Sheldon spends much
time perusing the hot dog aisle. He sees Sabrett brand and buys it. He
likes the brand, that's fine. If anyone really wanted to spend time
looking, there are a LOT of different types and brands of hot dogs
available; maybe not at Top's Market. <shrug>

2021-11-24 10:01:21 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
[...]
Or maybe he's just ranting.

2021-11-24 20:26:38 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
[...]
Likely. I cannot recall the last time I bought hotdogs. Probably last
year and I think it was Ballpark brand all beef. I can't get terribly
excited about hotdogs. I'd much rather buy some fresh bratwurst or
Italian sausage links. :)

2021-11-24 02:18:20 UTC
I very rarely see anything duck. Very occasionaly I've had duck at a
Chinese restaurant, always a crap shoot and I typically lose. I see
nothing good about quack, always very fatty.
LOL. Of course duck has more fat than say, chicken. Anyway, you stay
in your narrow, limited life.
Lucretia Borgia
2021-11-24 12:18:25 UTC
I very rarely see anything duck. Very occasionaly I've had duck at a
Chinese restaurant, always a crap shoot and I typically lose. I see
nothing good about quack, always very fatty.
LOL. Of course duck has more fat than say, chicken. Anyway, you stay
in your narrow, limited life.
Typical, he's always had it incorrectly cooked. Must have been hell
for sailors on the ships when he was the cook.
Jeßus
2021-11-24 19:24:42 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 08:18:25 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
Post by Lucretia Borgia
I very rarely see anything duck. Very occasionaly I've had duck at a
Chinese restaurant, always a crap shoot and I typically lose. I see
nothing good about quack, always very fatty.
LOL. Of course duck has more fat than say, chicken. Anyway, you stay
in your narrow, limited life.
Typical, he's always had it incorrectly cooked. Must have been hell
for sailors on the ships when he was the cook.
I'm craving duck a l’orange right now... yum yum yum.
https://honest-food.net/duck-lorange-recipe/
I should make a point of rounding up the ingredients and make it. It's
been years since I last did so.
i***@webtv.net
2021-11-23 20:43:56 UTC
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
Ed Pawlowski
2021-11-23 22:16:49 UTC
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
Publix lists whole duck and roast duck. An Duck Tape. No fat.
https://www.publix.com/search?searchTerm=duck&srt=products
i***@webtv.net
2021-11-23 22:34:05 UTC
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
Publix lists whole duck and roast duck. And Duck Tape. No fat.
https://www.publix.com/search?searchTerm=duck&srt=products
They probably made the tape out of the fat, none left over to sell to
the public for frying.
jmcquown
2021-11-23 23:43:47 UTC
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
I've never actually looked for duck fat. A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat. I can't think of a thing I'd use
it for. I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case on
occasion. Quite tasty!

Jill
Graham
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
Bruce
Only if your name is Dr. Mengele.
i***@webtv.net
2021-11-24 02:00:09 UTC
Post by Graham
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
Only if your name is Dr. Mengele.
Dr. Mengele like roasted potatoes in duck/goose fat? Imagine that!
And I thought he was only interested in twins.
jmcquown
2021-11-24 02:32:41 UTC
Post by Graham
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
Only if your name is Dr. Mengele.
Dr. Mengele like roasted potatoes in duck/goose fat? Imagine that!
And I thought he was only interested in twins.
There goes Bruce spouting off about cooking again and dragging some
irrelevent crap into the thread, as usual.

Lucretia Borgia
2021-11-24 12:15:02 UTC
Post by Graham
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
I've never actually looked for duck fat.  A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat.  I can't think of a thing I'd use
it for.  I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case on
occasion.  Quite tasty!
Jill
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
Only if your name is Dr. Mengele.
That isn't my name and I agree completely with Graham. Clearly you
have never tried it.
Bruce
2021-11-24 17:46:39 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 08:15:02 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by Bruce
Post by Graham
Post by i***@webtv.net
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
I've never actually looked for duck fat.  A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat.  I can't think of a thing I'd use
it for.  I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case on
occasion.  Quite tasty!
Jill
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
Only if your name is Dr. Mengele.
That isn't my name and I agree completely with Graham. Clearly you
have never tried it.
That's not the point. I bought a goose once. I prepared the goose. And
then my goose was cooked.
Jeßus
Definitely. Nothing beats it.
jmcquown
2021-11-24 02:25:29 UTC
Post by Graham
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
I've never actually looked for duck fat.  A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat.  I can't think of a thing I'd
use it for.  I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case
on occasion.  Quite tasty!
Jill
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
I suppose for some that's a preference. I didn't grow up eating duck or
goose nor using the fat to roast potatoes. Ditto chicken fat. The same
could be said of the use of bacon grease or lard. I didn't grow up with
it so I have no frame of reference.

2021-11-24 02:29:45 UTC
Post by Graham
I've never actually looked for duck fat.  A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat.  I can't think of a thing I'd
use it for.  I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case
on occasion.  Quite tasty!
Jill
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
I suppose for some that's a preference. I didn't grow up eating duck or
goose nor using the fat to roast potatoes. Ditto chicken fat. The same
could be said of the use of bacon grease or lard. I didn't grow up with
it so I have no frame of reference.
Maybe you and your parents are slightly more advanced on the
evolutionary ladder. Now that I'm saying that, I can just see you in
the distance far down below me. You're waving, right?
US Janet
2021-11-24 03:33:26 UTC
Post by Graham
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
I've never actually looked for duck fat.  A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat.  I can't think of a thing I'd use
it for.  I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case on
occasion.  Quite tasty!
Jill
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
When I was a child I remember goose fat being spread on bread like
butter. Years ago I used goose fat for cookie making.
Janet US
Graham
2021-11-24 05:08:37 UTC
Post by US Janet
Post by Graham
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
I've never actually looked for duck fat.  A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat.  I can't think of a thing I'd use
it for.  I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case on
occasion.  Quite tasty!
Jill
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
When I was a child I remember goose fat being spread on bread like
butter. Years ago I used goose fat for cookie making.
Janet US
It's a healthy fat, apparently. Also, I remember my grandparents
recommending it as an embrocation for sore knees!!
US Janet
2021-11-24 06:57:08 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by US Janet
Post by Graham
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
I've never actually looked for duck fat.  A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat.  I can't think of a thing I'd use
it for.  I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case on
occasion.  Quite tasty!
Jill
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
When I was a child I remember goose fat being spread on bread like
butter. Years ago I used goose fat for cookie making.
Janet US
It's a healthy fat, apparently. Also, I remember my grandparents
recommending it as an embrocation for sore knees!!
maybe I should get some for my knee.
Janet US
Lucretia Borgia
2021-11-24 12:22:43 UTC
Post by US Janet
Post by Graham
Ordinary American supermarkets don't have duck fat or duck confit.
They do have about 50 kinds of hot dogs, though.
Cindy Hamilton
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
I've never actually looked for duck fat.  A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat.  I can't think of a thing I'd use
it for.  I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case on
occasion.  Quite tasty!
Jill
Duck and goose fat are the best for roasting potatoes.
When I was a child I remember goose fat being spread on bread like
butter. Years ago I used goose fat for cookie making.
Janet US
Yep I remember that too! My grandmother would slice the bread thick
(a doorstop she called it) smear it with fat that was the dripping
from roasting whatever and then sprinkle a generous quantity of rough
salt on top. Delicious.
US Janet
2021-11-24 17:19:33 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 08:22:43 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by US Janet
Post by Graham
[...]
The goose fat thing was one thing. The other was dropping a slice of
bread in the frying pan to absorb all the tasty drippings.
Janet US
Lucretia Borgia
2021-11-24 21:58:04 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by US Janet
Post by Graham
[...]
Funny that, last night I had bacon and egg for supper and put in a
piece of bread to fry, for old times sake!
US Janet
2021-11-24 22:33:29 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 17:58:04 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
snip
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by US Janet
The goose fat thing was one thing. The other was dropping a slice of
bread in the frying pan to absorb all the tasty drippings.
Janet US
Funny that, last night I had bacon and egg for supper and put in a
piece of bread to fry, for old times sake!
tasted goood, I bet ;)
Janet US
Jeßus
Used to be popular in Australia too.
jmcquown
2021-11-24 02:35:50 UTC
It's readily available, in the store, at Kroger as well as ghee.
I've never actually looked for duck fat. A quick search shows me the
local Publix carries jarred duck fat. I can't think of a thing I'd use
it for. I've bought pre-roasted half ducks from the freezer case on
occasion. Quite tasty!
Jill
I spied it last year on a shelf at Kroger while perusing the sunflower, safflower,
peanut oils, etc. Right there it was in a pint jar and next to it was ghee, also in
a pint jar. I *think* I've seen beef tallow there as well.
I've seen jars of ghee, sure. I don't pay attention to different types
of jarred fats. Really, buying duck fat doesn't interest me. Not does
storing a jar of leftover bacon grease for cooking eggs or whatever. I
know lots of people do but I am not one of them. Oh well. I don't
actually use all that much oil/fat when I cook. It's not a plan, simply
the way things work out. :)

2021-11-24 02:47:46 UTC
[...]
Now that the subject came up, I'm going to look for it. May be good for
baked or fried potatoes.

I sometimes thick slice a potato or sweet potato and toss the slices in
olive oil and seasoning. Then roast them along with whatever else is
cooking. I'm sure it is not a healthy as OO though.
Jeßus
2021-11-24 03:22:06 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I sometimes thick slice a potato or sweet potato and toss the slices in
olive oil and seasoning. Then roast them along with whatever else is
cooking.
Wait until you try duck or goose fat. You won't use olive oil again.
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I'm sure it is not a healthy as OO though.
Well, you're wrong there. It's 2021 dude, get with the times. Duck fat
is healthy for you. Do some research.
Michael Trew
2021-11-24 17:24:09 UTC
[...]
You're missing out. I strain the bacon grease into a mason jar and pop
it into the fridge (although it would keep fine on the counter). When
you cook bacon, what do you do with the grease? You can't put it down
the drain... or at the least, you really shouldn't.
jmcquown
2021-11-24 20:54:04 UTC
[...]
I'm not missing anything other than clogged arteries. I certainly don't
put bacon grease or any oil down the drain. I do the same thing with
bacon grease as I do with the fat from pan-frying hamburgers, etc. Or
any cooking oil, for that matter. I pour it in a large empty plastic
container that once contained ground coffee and stash it at the bottom
of the freezer. I remove the contents from the container when the
container is almost full and it goes out with the trash. I do re-use
the container. ;)

That's really been discredited a long time ago.
jmcquown
2021-11-24 21:11:34 UTC
You're missing out.  I strain the bacon grease into a mason jar and pop
it into the fridge (although it would keep fine on the counter).  When
you cook bacon, what do you do with the grease?  You can't put it down
the drain... or at the least, you really shouldn't.
I'm not missing anything other than clogged arteries.
That's really been discredited a long time ago.
Perhaps, but my mother had serious cholesterol problems (had to have
surgery in her leg to clear the blockage, nearly lost a foot and no she
was not diabetic). and she and the doctors chalked it up to the fact
that she ate a lot of saturated fat all her life before anyone knew
consuming a ton of bacon grease wasn't a great idea. (I have no idea
about duck fat.) I also know I don't want things like my scrambled or
fried eggs to taste like bacon. I'll enjoy the taste of the bacon or
sausage on the side and cook the eggs in butter, thanks. :)

2021-11-24 21:45:55 UTC
I'm not missing anything other than clogged arteries.
That's really been discredited a long time ago.
Perhaps, but my mother had serious cholesterol problems (had to have
surgery in her leg to clear the blockage, nearly lost a foot and no she
was not diabetic). and she and the doctors chalked it up to the fact
that she ate a lot of saturated fat all her life before anyone knew
consuming a ton of bacon grease wasn't a great idea. (I have no idea
about duck fat.) I also know I don't want things like my scrambled or
fried eggs to taste like bacon. I'll enjoy the taste of the bacon or
sausage on the side and cook the eggs in butter, thanks. :)
You're following the mainstream line of thinking, like the Heart
Foundation etc. Kooks like Jebus look down on that and call it old
school thinking. They have their own kook ideas, supported by kook
doctors. They'll say things like "Saturated fat is ok, carbs are the
enemy!" Or whatever kook theory is in fashion at that moment.
Hank Rogers
2021-11-24 22:13:02 UTC
[...]
Master, it's time for you to visit your favorite kook. Mr. kuth.

You haven't been licking his ass enough lately. He's going nuttier
than ever!
Leonard Blaisdell
It's all in ones genetics. That's a fact.
Bruce
Genetics are important. Lifestyle is also important.
Sheldon Martin
2021-11-25 00:23:27 UTC
[...]
Why don't you put that cooking fat out for the birds and other
critters? We mix cooking fat with wild bird seed and put it outside
for birds. Our cooking fat never goes in the trash. I thought you
knew better, and here I thought you cared about the birds, but
obviously like most people your caring is all pretend. You throw the
cooking fat in the trash, la di dah, fuck the birds! Winter is
coming, we feed the birds and all critters. We'd much rather a possom
or a skunk eat our scraps than put anything edible in the trash. In
cold weather deer love banana peels, citrus peels, apple cores and
other veggie parings. Nothing edible ever goes in our trash.
jmcquown
2021-11-25 00:32:40 UTC
[...]
Because I don't want to attract raccoons, opossums and marsh rats to my
house. The birds do just fine with the seed I put out for them. When
it gets cold I put out suet but I buy blocks of it.
Post by Sheldon Martin
here I thought you cared about the birds, but
obviously like most people your caring is all pretend.
Oh dear, really?
Post by Sheldon Martin
You throw the
cooking fat in the trash, la di dah, fuck the birds! Winter is
coming, we feed the birds and all critters. We'd much rather a possom
or a skunk eat our scraps than put anything edible in the trash.
You live on a huge amount of land. Where do you expect all those
animals to go in my neighborhood?
Post by Sheldon Martin
cold weather deer love banana peels, citrus peels, apple cores and
other veggie parings. Nothing edible ever goes in our trash.
The deer are just fine, thanks. I worry about them getting hit by cars.

2021-11-25 01:28:04 UTC
Post by Sheldon Martin
cold weather deer love banana peels, citrus peels, apple cores and
other veggie parings.  Nothing edible ever goes in our trash.
The deer are just fine, thanks.  I worry about them getting hit by
cars.
Jill
I'm surprised Popeye don't plumb his toilet to flush out on the lawn.

Nothing goes to waste.
Gary
2021-11-25 12:23:13 UTC
cold weather deer love banana peels, citrus peels, apple cores and
other veggie parings.  Nothing edible ever goes in our trash.
The deer are just fine, thanks.  I worry about them getting hit by cars.
Certainly sad when any animal gets hit by a car but I've never worried
about that happening. Heck, that happens every day somewhere.
jmcquown
2021-11-25 13:18:29 UTC
cold weather deer love banana peels, citrus peels, apple cores and
other veggie parings.  Nothing edible ever goes in our trash.
The deer are just fine, thanks.  I worry about them getting hit by cars.
Certainly sad when any animal gets hit by a car but I've never worried
about that happening. Heck, that happens every day somewhere.
"Worry" was, perhaps, the wrong word. I see dead deer by the side of
the road on Highway 21 at least once a week. At any rate, I don't throw
food scraps in my yard.

2021-11-25 13:52:25 UTC
Certainly sad when any animal gets hit by a car but I've never worried
about that happening. Heck, that happens every day somewhere.
"Worry" was, perhaps, the wrong word.  I see dead deer by the side of
the road on Highway 21 at least once a week.  At any rate, I don't throw
food scraps in my yard.
When I worked on a road crew in Fort Erie we used to see dead deer
several times a week on our short 15 mile stretch of highway.

I hit a deer last fall. The stupid thing came running across the road
and I barely had time to hit the brake. $7000 damage to my car. The
deer was able to escape but may have died elsewhere.
Hank Rogers
2021-11-25 01:22:17 UTC
[...]
Damn Popeye, relax. I will start throwing all garbage out my window.

I hope it helps you, but I doubt yoose will be able to get any
pussy from jill. It's long dried up anyway.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-25 09:35:21 UTC
Why don't you put that cooking fat out for the birds and other
critters? We mix cooking fat with wild bird seed and put it outside
for birds. Our cooking fat never goes in the trash. I thought you
knew better, and here I thought you cared about the birds, but
obviously like most people your caring is all pretend. You throw the
cooking fat in the trash, la di dah, fuck the birds! Winter is
coming, we feed the birds and all critters.
Get a grip, Sheldon. The average January daytime high in her area is
about 60 F.

2021-11-25 12:28:45 UTC
Why don't you put that cooking fat out for the birds and other
critters? We mix cooking fat with wild bird seed and put it outside
for birds. Our cooking fat never goes in the trash. I thought you
knew better, and here I thought you cared about the birds, but
obviously like most people your caring is all pretend. You throw the
cooking fat in the trash, la di dah, fuck the birds! Winter is
coming, we feed the birds and all critters.
Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into
barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Get a grip, Sheldon. The average January daytime high in her area is
about 60 F.
"la di dah, fuck the birds!"
2021-11-25 13:20:50 UTC
Why don't you put that cooking fat out for the birds and other
critters? We mix cooking fat with wild bird seed and put it outside
for birds. Our cooking fat never goes in the trash. I thought you
knew better, and here I thought you cared about the birds, but
obviously like most people your caring is all pretend. You throw the
cooking fat in the trash, la di dah, fuck the birds! Winter is
coming, we feed the birds and all critters.
Get a grip, Sheldon. The average January daytime high in her area is
about 60 F.
Cindy Hamilton
Hey, it was only 55°F yesterday! I wore a sweater with my jeans when I
went to work. :)

2021-11-22 10:03:43 UTC
Mrs had beef medallion with a roast garlic sauce, salad and veggies.
I had the confit duck leg - crispy skinned duck leg placed on oven
roasted potatoes served w char grilled peaches, mint, salted almonds&
a snow pea salad.
https://www.cataractonpaterson.com.au/menu01/
We're staying right next door to the restaurant, so was an easy
choice.
Cataract? Do they have trouble seeing the food? Lol
I can't say that I've ever tried duck, but they make it sound
appetizing... I flipped through their main menu (Mains?).
Mains = main dish.

Technically, the word "entree" means, well, "entrance" or "enter". (My
French is virtually nonexistent.) We use the word "appetizer" for that
course, although in the casual dining world "appetizer" means "something
to stuff one's face with and absorb the alcohol while waiting for the
main dish".

2021-11-22 14:49:13 UTC
[...]
Many restaurants bring the salad early for the same reason. Something
to nibble on while the rest is cooking. Keeps the customer occupied.
bruce bowser
I've never heard of the term.
Mike Duffy
2021-11-22 16:36:04 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Mains = main dish.
I've never heard of the term.
Because for you, it probably means the other side of the breaker panel.
US Janet
2021-11-22 17:29:33 UTC
On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 16:36:04 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by bruce bowser
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Mains = main dish.
I've never heard of the term.
Because for you, it probably means the other side of the breaker panel.
Right. I was confused by the use of 'mains' in this conversation.
I've always understood it to mean the electricity delivered to your
house.
Janet US
jmcquown
2021-11-22 21:43:03 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by bruce bowser
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Mains = main dish.
I've never heard of the term.
Because for you, it probably means the other side of the breaker panel.
Nope, it's because they don't call it "mains" or "main dish" on the
pretty pictures of burgers on the fast food drive-thru menu. ;)

2021-11-22 22:18:28 UTC
English speakers outside of the US seem to like using that word instead of just saying 'power'.
bruce bowser
Or 'feed'.
Hank Rogers
2021-11-22 23:11:43 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Post by bruce bowser
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by bruce bowser
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Mains = main dish.
I've never heard of the term.
Because for you, it probably means the other side of the breaker panel.
English speakers outside of the US seem to like using that word instead of just saying 'power'.
Or 'feed'.
Dummy, 'feed' is corn you scatter for the chickens, or hay for the
horses, or ...
Dave Smith
2021-11-22 16:16:41 UTC
Mrs had beef medallion with a roast garlic sauce, salad and veggies.
I can't say that I've ever tried duck, but they make it sound
appetizing... I flipped through their main menu (Mains?).
Mains = main dish.
Technically, the word "entree" means, well, "entrance" or "enter". (My
French is virtually nonexistent.) We use the word "appetizer" for that
course, although in the casual dining world "appetizer" means "something
to stuff one's face with and absorb the alcohol while waiting for the
main dish".
It's interesting that we have somehow managed to adopt a French word and
to use it inappropriately.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-22 16:21:24 UTC
Mrs had beef medallion with a roast garlic sauce, salad and veggies.
I can't say that I've ever tried duck, but they make it sound
appetizing... I flipped through their main menu (Mains?).
Mains = main dish.
Technically, the word "entree" means, well, "entrance" or "enter". (My
French is virtually nonexistent.) We use the word "appetizer" for that
course, although in the casual dining world "appetizer" means "something
to stuff one's face with and absorb the alcohol while waiting for the
main dish".
It's interesting that we have somehow managed to adopt a French word and
to use it inappropriately.
Yes, it is:

<https://www.casaschools.com/why-americans-say-entree-for-main-course/>