Prep is done
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-11-25 00:26:40 UTC
I "think" I've gone as far as I can go with prep for tomorrow. Apologies
for the pecan pie visual, but it'll taste good. The turkey is thawed. I
hate prepping brussels sprouts for steaming, and that's done,
and the cranberry sauce is made.
The cornbread and chopped onions and celery are for the stuffing, but
that's tomorrow.

<https://postimg.cc/62VCB68w>

leo
GM
2021-11-25 00:35:51 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
I "think" I've gone as far as I can go with prep for tomorrow. Apologies
for the pecan pie visual, but it'll taste good. The turkey is thawed. I
hate prepping brussels sprouts for steaming, and that's done,
and the cranberry sauce is made.
The cornbread and chopped onions and celery are for the stuffing, but
that's tomorrow.
<https://postimg.cc/62VCB68w>
Not too shabby there, Leo, and Happy Turkey Day to you and yours...

I've got a ton of food fixin's, but I'm going to someone's home tomorrow, so will
fix my victuals over the long weekend...

Very thankful to live in this time and place, all the conflict and political stuff aside, we are
very, very blessed... am very grateful for all that I have...

:-D
2021-11-25 01:49:02 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
I "think" I've gone as far as I can go with prep for tomorrow. Apologies
for the pecan pie visual, but it'll taste good. The turkey is thawed. I
hate prepping brussels sprouts for steaming, and that's done,
and the cranberry sauce is made.
The cornbread and chopped onions and celery are for the stuffing, but
that's tomorrow.
<https://postimg.cc/62VCB68w>
leo
I'd not shy away from digging into that pie! But those Brussel sprouts. . . .
My cranberry sauce is ready too, it's sitting in a can whenever I want it. All
I have to do is get the can opener out. :o)

I've got my ham cooked and it's in the refrigerator chilling waiting to be sliced
tomorrow. There's several dips that were requested that will make the trip with
the ham and many varieties of chips and crackers, too. When I get up I'm going
do a 'Pioneer Woman' cherry dump cake; that was a special request.

Is your sister-in-law there with y'all to partake of your feast??
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-11-25 02:22:04 UTC
Is your sister-in-law there with y'all to partake of your feast??
She is not. She, my niece and her son are just getting over Covid
in Wisconsin. The old gal is high risk, but is improving. We're pretty
sure she'll be OK.
Most of her plans have been put on hold, including returning here, for
the time being. Both she and my niece were fully vaccinated, so that
ought to inspire everybody.
She was hospitalized for about a day and has received something called
infusions last week, whatever that is? It's Mayo Clinic stuff.
Things appear to be on the upswing for all involved.
i***@webtv.net
2021-11-25 05:20:23 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by i***@webtv.net
Is your sister-in-law there with y'all to partake of your feast??
She is not. She, my niece and her son are just getting over Covid
in Wisconsin. The old gal is high risk, but is improving. We're pretty
sure she'll be OK.
She shoulda stayed there with y'all and been safe. :o)
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Most of her plans have been put on hold, including returning here, for
the time being. Both she and my niece were fully vaccinated, so that
ought to inspire everybody.
Ain't that the truth?
I hope she and the rest will all be fine.
Gary
2021-11-25 12:53:30 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
[...]
I have can of cranberry sauce in fridge and also fresh/frozen
cranberries in the freezer if I want to make from scratch. I prefer the
canned sauce myself. The whole cranberries are for a casserole recipe.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving day, Joan, and same to all others here.

I'll be eating simple today but will do a turkey dinner in a week or so.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-25 09:56:49 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
I "think" I've gone as far as I can go with prep for tomorrow. Apologies
for the pecan pie visual, but it'll taste good. The turkey is thawed. I
hate prepping brussels sprouts for steaming, and that's done,
and the cranberry sauce is made.
The cornbread and chopped onions and celery are for the stuffing, but
that's tomorrow.
<https://postimg.cc/62VCB68w>
leo
I made the stuffing yesterday; it's in the basement fridge alongside the
turkey. They'll be joined in happy matrimony in a couple of hours.

The stuffing is fresh white bread, torn up, sauteed crumbled breakfast
sausage, onion, and celery. Rubbed sage and just a few flakes of hot
chili pepper. Salt and pepper. Butter and some turkey stock out of the
freezer. We cut back on the fat in the dressing this year, and used the
stock to ensure sufficient moisture.

Contrary to our usual practice, I'm roasting the turkey to be done at
lunch time. We've been eating our main meal at midday for quite some
time, preferring a light supper.

I made a green salad last night, so that's all squared away.

Turkey, dressing, gravy, and salad. That's all we need.

After lunch I'm baking a small (8x8) carrot cake. Dessert around 3 pm.

2021-11-25 13:38:52 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
[...]
Perhaps I just never noticed it before but when I went to the
supermarket last week, in the bakery area I saw bags of fresh torn up
white bread for sale. Presumeably for making stuffing. Have people
really gotten that lazy that they can't tear bread into pieces? I
suppose if you're prepping and cooking for 20 people it would be a
convenience and a time saver but I chuckle when I see things like that.
I didn't bother to check the price.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Contrary to our usual practice, I'm roasting the turkey to be done at
lunch time. We've been eating our main meal at midday for quite some
time, preferring a light supper.
I hear ya. Even when I was a kid the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals
were always served early in the day, never later than 2PM. It makes
sense to have the bigger meal earlier. :)
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I made a green salad last night, so that's all squared away.
Turkey, dressing, gravy, and salad. That's all we need.
After lunch I'm baking a small (8x8) carrot cake. Dessert around 3 pm.
Cindy Hamilton
Have a great Thanksgiving! :)

2021-11-25 17:42:32 UTC
I made the stuffing yesterday; it's in the basement fridge alongside the
turkey. They'll be joined in happy matrimony in a couple of hours.
The stuffing is fresh white bread, torn up, sauteed crumbled breakfast
sausage, onion, and celery. Rubbed sage and just a few flakes of hot
chili pepper. Salt and pepper. Butter and some turkey stock out of the
freezer. We cut back on the fat in the dressing this year, and used the
stock to ensure sufficient moisture.
Perhaps I just never noticed it before but when I went to the
supermarket last week, in the bakery area I saw bags of fresh torn up
white bread for sale. Presumeably for making stuffing. Have people
really gotten that lazy that they can't tear bread into pieces? I
suppose if you're prepping and cooking for 20 people it would be a
convenience and a time saver but I chuckle when I see things like that.
Maybe it's bread that got damaged or unsightly in the bakery section,
in the course of the year. So they froze it all, waiting to sell it
during Thanksgiving.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-25 19:07:12 UTC
Perhaps I just never noticed it before but when I went to the
supermarket last week, in the bakery area I saw bags of fresh torn up
white bread for sale. Presumeably for making stuffing. Have people
really gotten that lazy that they can't tear bread into pieces? I
suppose if you're prepping and cooking for 20 people it would be a
convenience and a time saver but I chuckle when I see things like that.
I didn't bother to check the price.
I saw those bags at Kroger as well. There must be a market for them or they
wouldn't be available.
Post by jmcquown
I hear ya. Even when I was a kid the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals
were always served early in the day, never later than 2PM. It makes
sense to have the bigger meal earlier. :)
We're eating at 4:00 and I'd prefer 2:00 but I'm not hosting so I just along
with the plan.
We're done eating, the leftovers are put away, the dishwasher is running,
and the carrot cake is in the oven.

It was a very good turkey. The white meat was succulent and the dark
meat was cooked through.

Cindy Hamilton
US Janet
2021-11-25 20:01:34 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I hear ya. Even when I was a kid the Thanksgiving and Christmas meals
were always served early in the day, never later than 2PM. It makes
sense to have the bigger meal earlier. :)
We're eating at 4:00 and I'd prefer 2:00 but I'm not hosting so I just along
with the plan.
they have been available everywhere since I was a child. I would
think the advantage is that the bread is already dried for you.
Janet US
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-25 20:34:48 UTC
Perhaps I just never noticed it before but when I went to the
supermarket last week, in the bakery area I saw bags of fresh torn up
white bread for sale.
they have been available everywhere since I was a child. I would
think the advantage is that the bread is already dried for you.
Janet US
Fresh, not dried. Some people use fresh, soft bread for their stuffing.

2021-11-25 21:17:01 UTC
Perhaps I just never noticed it before but when I went to the
supermarket last week, in the bakery area I saw bags of fresh torn up
white bread for sale.
they have been available everywhere since I was a child. I would
think the advantage is that the bread is already dried for you.
Janet US
Fresh, not dried. Some people use fresh, soft bread for their stuffing.
I use stale bread crumbs. They don't have to be crispy dry, but you
don't want them to be fresh and squishy.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-26 09:36:26 UTC
Perhaps I just never noticed it before but when I went to the
supermarket last week, in the bakery area I saw bags of fresh torn up
white bread for sale.
they have been available everywhere since I was a child. I would
think the advantage is that the bread is already dried for you.
Janet US
Fresh, not dried. Some people use fresh, soft bread for their stuffing.
I use stale bread crumbs. They don't have to be crispy dry, but you
don't want them to be fresh and squishy.
I want them fresh and squishy. I buy a loaf of cheap white bread
and tear the slices into approximately 1-inch pieces.

2021-11-26 09:38:46 UTC
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 01:36:26 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
they have been available everywhere since I was a child. I would
think the advantage is that the bread is already dried for you.
Janet US
Fresh, not dried. Some people use fresh, soft bread for their stuffing.
I use stale bread crumbs. They don't have to be crispy dry, but you
don't want them to be fresh and squishy.
I want them fresh and squishy. I buy a loaf of cheap white bread
and tear the slices into approximately 1-inch pieces.
Is this still about shoving stuff up a tortured turkey's ass because
all the Indians are dead? You're such a strange people.
Geoff Rove
2021-11-26 23:17:44 UTC
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 01:36:26 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
<