My new favourite breakfast.
2021-11-21 19:55:48 UTC
On Sun, 21 Nov 2021 12:54:14 -0500, Dave Smith
I had never heard of shashuka until recently but have heard it mentioned
a few times recently. One of those incidents was a Somebody Feed Phil
episode. I gave it a try this morning. Holy cow it was good. I used
onion, garlic, some red pepper, canned diced tomatoes, some tomato
paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin , salt and pepper, cilantro
for garnish. Two things I would do different would be to cook it down a
little more before adding the egg and cooking the eggs a little longer
so the yolks would be set up a little firmer than the runny ones I like
with regular poached eggs.
Lucky me. There is enough of the sauce left that I can cook it down a
little more and try it again for lunch one day this week.
I'd like that. Not sure about the wife (due to the spices used), but
maybe? Her tastes certainly have evolved in the past 18 months.
Anyway, I'll make a point of making shashuka in the near future. Will
have to buy some paprika.

I'm always on the lookout for new breakfast recipes in particular,
thanks.
Bruce
Peanut butter!
bruce bowser
I saw at Checker's Hamburgers, they have a new Garlic Butter Bacon Big Buford. I don't I'll like butter on a burger, so I don't think i'm sold.
Bryan Simmons
2021-11-21 21:55:55 UTC
I had never heard of shashuka until recently but have heard it mentioned
a few times recently. One of those incidents was a Somebody Feed Phil
episode. I gave it a try this morning. Holy cow it was good. I used
onion, garlic, some red pepper, canned diced tomatoes, some tomato
paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin , salt and pepper, cilantro
for garnish.
I saw at Checker's Hamburgers, they have a new Garlic Butter Bacon Big Buford. I don't I'll like butter on a burger, so I don't think i'm sold.
Checkers/Rally's is the trashiest burger chain in the USA. You are just
pretending. Bruce Bowser is just a character, a caricature of trashiness.

In that case, you haven't even tried the place.
Gary
2021-11-24 13:37:13 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Checkers/Rally's is the trashiest burger chain in the USA. You are just
pretending. Bruce Bowser is just a character, a caricature of trashiness.
In that case, you haven't even tried the place.
That's a fact, Bruce B.
Many years ago, Checkers opened a place right here near the beach. Their
fries and big burger were far superior to any other fast food restaurant.

I used to eat there often, even skipping my beloved McDonalds those few
years.

i***@webtv.net
2021-11-21 21:26:43 UTC
I had never heard of shashuka until recently but have heard it mentioned
a few times recently. One of those incidents was a Somebody Feed Phil
episode. I gave it a try this morning. Holy cow it was good.
I've seen them cook it on "America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Country" and it just
did not raise any desire for me to ever attempt to cook it or even sample it
if someone else had prepared it.
Michael Trew
2021-11-21 23:55:55 UTC
I had never heard of shashuka until recently but have heard it mentioned
a few times recently. One of those incidents was a Somebody Feed Phil
episode. I gave it a try this morning. Holy cow it was good. I used
onion, garlic, some red pepper, canned diced tomatoes, some tomato
paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin , salt and pepper, cilantro
for garnish. Two things I would do different would be to cook it down a
little more before adding the egg and cooking the eggs a little longer
so the yolks would be set up a little firmer than the runny ones I like
with regular poached eggs.
Lucky me. There is enough of the sauce left that I can cook it down a
little more and try it again for lunch one day this week.
I just looked it up, that sounds really good! Almost similar to a
chili-type base with eggs in it. Do you have a recipe that you used?
Dave Smith
2021-11-22 01:05:40 UTC
I had never heard of shashuka until recently but have heard it mentioned
a few times recently. One of those incidents was a Somebody Feed Phil
episode. I gave it a try this morning. Holy cow it was good. I used
onion, garlic, some red pepper, canned diced tomatoes, some tomato
paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin , salt and pepper, cilantro
for garnish. Two things I would do different would be to cook it down a
little more before adding the egg and cooking the eggs a little longer
so the yolks would be set up a little firmer than the runny ones I like
with regular poached eggs.
Lucky me. There is enough of the sauce left that I can cook it down a
little more and try it again for lunch one day this week.
I just looked it up, that sounds really good!  Almost similar to a
chili-type base with eggs in it.  Do you have a recipe that you used?
There are lots of them online. I read a few, watched a couple videos and
then went into the kitchen and semi faked it.

As I said, the only things I would have done different would be to cook
it down a little more and to let the eggs cook a little more than the
runny stage where I prefer poached eggs so that the can be scooped out
more easily.
jmcquown
2021-11-22 00:09:07 UTC
I had never heard of shashuka until recently but have heard it mentioned
a few times recently. One of those incidents was a Somebody Feed Phil
episode. I gave it a try this morning. Holy cow it was good.  I used
onion, garlic, some red pepper, canned diced tomatoes, some tomato
paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin , salt and pepper, cilantro
for garnish.  Two things I would do different would be to cook it down a
little more before adding the egg and cooking the eggs a little longer
so the yolks would be set up a little firmer than the runny ones I like
with regular poached eggs.
Lucky me. There is enough of the sauce left that I can cook it down a
little more and try it again for lunch one day this week.
Sounds a little too intense for breakfast for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

2021-11-22 02:09:58 UTC
I had never heard of shashuka until recently but have heard it
mentioned a few times recently. One of those incidents was a Somebody
Feed Phil episode. I gave it a try this morning. Holy cow it was
good. I used onion, garlic, some red pepper, canned diced tomatoes,
some tomato paste, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin , salt and
pepper, cilantro for garnish. Two things I would do different would
be to cook it down a little more before adding the egg and cooking the
eggs a little longer so the yolks would be set up a little firmer than
the runny ones I like with regular poached eggs.
Lucky me. There is enough of the sauce left that I can cook it down a
little more and try it again for lunch one day this week.
Sounds a little too intense for breakfast for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Jill
True, especially with the sauce, but it sounds like a good mid-day meal
to me. I might try it this week.
Sqwertz
2021-11-23 02:53:18 UTC
Sounds a little too intense for breakfast for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
You serve it scooped up with bread or pita which cuts the richness
considerably and makes it lighter - like I pictured just two months
ago.

https://i.postimg.cc/90Y73q7b/Shakshuka-Plated.jpg

I'm so glad I inspire so many people by posting all these pictures
with fairly detailed ingredients and prep!

My work here will never be done!!!

2021-11-23 02:55:14 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by jmcquown
Sounds a little too intense for breakfast for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
You serve it scooped up with bread or pita which cuts the richness
considerably and makes it lighter - like I pictured just two months
ago.
https://i.postimg.cc/90Y73q7b/Shakshuka-Plated.jpg
I'm so glad I inspire so many people by posting all these pictures
with fairly detailed ingredients and prep!
My work here will never be done!!!
-sw
Still not a breakfast idea for me. Lunch, perhaps. :)

It could be breakfast, lunch or breakfast for dinner.
jmcquown
2021-11-23 03:01:29 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Sounds a little too intense for breakfast for me.  I'm glad you
enjoyed it!
You serve it scooped up with bread or pita which cuts the richness
considerably and makes it lighter - like I pictured just two months
ago.
https://i.postimg.cc/90Y73q7b/Shakshuka-Plated.jpg
I'm so glad I inspire so many people by posting all these pictures
with fairly detailed ingredients and prep!
My work here will never be done!!!
-sw
Still not a breakfast idea for me.  Lunch, perhaps. :)
It could be breakfast, lunch or breakfast for dinner.
Could be but as I said previously, a little too intense for breakfast
for me.

2021-11-23 02:42:39 UTC
I had never heard of shashuka until recently but have heard it mentioned
a few times recently. One of those incidents was a Somebody Feed Phil
episode. I gave it a try this morning. Holy cow it was good.
I've posted it three times. Most recently two months ago
(8/17/2021).

One of my better pictures lately. It even blew away Bruce... until I
told her I added just a pinch of chicken base just for her.

=sw
Dave Smith
2021-11-23 02:47:46 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
I had never heard of shashuka until recently but have heard it mentioned
a few times recently. One of those incidents was a Somebody Feed Phil
episode. I gave it a try this morning. Holy cow it was good.
I've posted it three times. Most recently two months ago
(8/17/2021).
That could be one of the recent times I heard of it.
Post by Sqwertz
https://i.postimg.cc/90Y73q7b/Shakshuka-Plated.jpg
That looks almost as good as mine ;-)
LOL that would have got her panties in a twist.
Sqwertz
2021-11-23 20:04:20 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
https://i.postimg.cc/90Y73q7b/Shakshuka-Plated.jpg
That looks almost as good as mine ;-)
Still in the pan:

Mine used goat cheese instead of feta.

I'm in so many people's heads here. I'm becoming a phenomenon!
Hank Rogers
But you're in most people's asses too, master.
Sqwertz
2021-11-23 02:44:42 UTC
[...]
Make sure you spell it right, though. See my link.

You're welcome.