[OT] Eclipse
Add Reply
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-11-19 05:50:46 UTC
The longest "partial" lunar eclipse since around Columbus time is starting in
30 minutes. It will last six hours. The next one, this long, will be
mumble in the future. But a long time away!
I thought it was last night while I slept soundly. It will be 97%
eclipsed at 1:02 AM here. I wonder if I can make it that far? I wonder
if clouds will erase my view? They might.

leo
Dave Smith
2021-11-19 14:07:49 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
The longest "partial" lunar eclipse since around Columbus time is starting in
30 minutes. It will last six hours. The next one, this long, will be
mumble in the future. But a long time away!
I thought it was last night while I slept soundly. It will be 97%
eclipsed at 1:02 AM here. I wonder if I can make it that far? I wonder
if clouds will erase my view? They might.
I missed it. We had been out with the dog at about 11:30 and it was
overcast and raining, so there was no point in getting up in a few hours
to go out and look at clouds.
Bruce
Maybe your friend took a picture.
jmcquown
2021-11-19 19:28:58 UTC
And wish he didn't write. Jill already covered this. Sorry, Jill!
If the clouds don't obscure the moon, maybe I can take a decent iPhone
photo, but I doubt it.
leo
No need to apologize, Leo! I tried to stay awake but my internal clock
tells me to go to bed around midnight.

Jill
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-11-21 21:29:32 UTC
And wish he didn't write. Jill already covered this. Sorry, Jill!
If the clouds don't obscure the moon, maybe I can take a decent iPhone
photo, but I doubt it.
No need to apologize, Leo! I tried to stay awake but my internal clock
tells me to go to bed around midnight.
Here's the best I could do with a iPhone 10 at 2x magnification.
The pics were taken at 10 and 11 PM and 12 and 1 AM. Clouds were a
problem. I watched it wax to max. I didn't watch it wane.
I made a montage. Not too good, eh?

<https://postimg.cc/wts9G7Rw>

leo
jmcquown
2021-11-21 21:54:18 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by jmcquown
And wish he didn't write. Jill already covered this. Sorry, Jill!
If the clouds don't obscure the moon, maybe I can take a decent iPhone
photo, but I doubt it.
No need to apologize, Leo! I tried to stay awake but my internal clock
tells me to go to bed around midnight.
Here's the best I could do with a iPhone 10 at 2x magnification.
The pics were taken at 10 and 11 PM and 12 and 1 AM. Clouds were a
problem. I watched it wax to max. I didn't watch it wane.
I made a montage. Not too good, eh?
<https://postimg.cc/wts9G7Rw>
leo
Looks cool to me! :)

2021-11-21 22:10:26 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Here's the best I could do with a iPhone 10 at 2x magnification.
The pics were taken at 10 and 11 PM and 12 and 1 AM. Clouds were a
problem. I watched it wax to max. I didn't watch it wane.
I made a montage. Not too good, eh?
<https://postimg.cc/wts9G7Rw>
leo
Those pictures look better than what was posted by any of the news
sites.
jmcquown
2021-11-21 22:31:28 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Here's the best I could do with a iPhone 10 at 2x magnification.
The pics were taken at 10 and 11 PM and 12 and 1 AM. Clouds were a
problem. I watched it wax to max. I didn't watch it wane.
I made a montage. Not too good, eh?
<https://postimg.cc/wts9G7Rw>
leo
Those pictures look better than what was posted by any of the news
sites.
Shhhhh, Leo works for those news sites. <wink>

2021-11-21 22:15:56 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
And wish he didn't write. Jill already covered this. Sorry, Jill!
If the clouds don't obscure the moon, maybe I can take a decent iPhone
photo, but I doubt it.
No need to apologize, Leo! I tried to stay awake but my internal clock
tells me to go to bed around midnight.
Here's the best I could do with a iPhone 10 at 2x magnification.
The pics were taken at 10 and 11 PM and 12 and 1 AM. Clouds were a
problem. I watched it wax to max. I didn't watch it wane.
I made a montage. Not too good, eh?
<https://postimg.cc/wts9G7Rw>
leo
Here's my picture of the moon using a Motorola G6. Conditions outside were pretty cloudy but I didn't get affected by that at all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qg6vFmiAZbUs7haPA
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-11-22 00:00:56 UTC
That's a beautiful moonshot. What magnification did you use?
jmcquown
2021-11-22 00:03:25 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by dsi1
Here's my picture of the moon using a Motorola G6. Conditions outside were pretty cloudy but I didn't get affected by that at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qg6vFmiAZbUs7haPA
That's a beautiful moonshot. What magnification did you use?
That's just wrong. Should be coated in "chocolate". ;)

2021-11-22 00:59:47 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by dsi1
Here's my picture of the moon using a Motorola G6. Conditions outside were pretty cloudy but I didn't get affected by that at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qg6vFmiAZbUs7haPA
That's a beautiful moonshot. What magnification did you use?
That's just wrong. Should be coated in "chocolate". ;)
Jill
I'm not a big fan of chocolate. OTOH, back in the day, I'd get a moonpie anytime I spotted one. They were hard to find. The banana ones were quite rare. Those were special. These days moonpies are more available here. I can get a choco-pie pretty much anywhere. The good news is that the Korean version is just as dry and pasty as the American original. I can't say if that's a good thing but it's certainly authentic.

Michael Trew
2021-11-22 16:42:16 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by dsi1
Here's my picture of the moon using a Motorola G6. Conditions outside
were pretty cloudy but I didn't get affected by that at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qg6vFmiAZbUs7haPA
That's a beautiful moonshot. What magnification did you use?
That's just wrong. Should be coated in "chocolate". ;)
Jill
I can barely tolerate those dry little things, but if I have to have
one, banana sounds better (I don't think I've ever seen those, however).
dsi1
2021-11-22 00:47:52 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by dsi1
Here's my picture of the moon using a Motorola G6. Conditions outside were pretty cloudy but I didn't get affected by that at all.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Qg6vFmiAZbUs7haPA
That's a beautiful moonshot. What magnification did you use?
Mostly I just moved my head up close until things got blurry then moved back some.
I tried to get a picture of the recent eclipse but it was a fail. You really need a camera with a long lens. I took that with an old phone. The eclipse on Friday was pretty awesome. The moon looked like a giant planet nearby in the sky. This is a shot of the May 26 event. The moon looks kind of regular.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CizFcBkaqqoyrJ3f6
bruce bowser
On the keyboard, you press the CTRL button with the + = button at the same time. That will make the screen bigger. It also helps to ask the computer salesman for a 1440 high definition (frame per second) software capable device (be it tablet, phone or desk top).
Michael Trew
2021-11-22 01:21:21 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by jmcquown
And wish he didn't write. Jill already covered this. Sorry, Jill!
If the clouds don't obscure the moon, maybe I can take a decent iPhone
photo, but I doubt it.
No need to apologize, Leo! I tried to stay awake but my internal clock
tells me to go to bed around midnight.
Here's the best I could do with a iPhone 10 at 2x magnification.
The pics were taken at 10 and 11 PM and 12 and 1 AM. Clouds were a
problem. I watched it wax to max. I didn't watch it wane.
I made a montage. Not too good, eh?
<https://postimg.cc/wts9G7Rw>
leo
Nice, thank you for posting!