Happy National Bacon Day
2021-12-30 14:55:04 UTC
To those of you who celebrate it.

https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/

--Bryan
f***@sdf.org
2021-12-30 17:55:06 UTC
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
today I learned National Bacon Day is a thing.

i always make my bacon late winter or very early spring. now i want to
make it on National Bacon Day.

so here's a question.

my bacon recipe is a three stage process. curing, drying, cold smoking,
in that order. should the process be started or finished on National
Bacon Day?
--
***@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org
Bruce
2021-12-30 18:00:18 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bryan Simmons
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
today I learned National Bacon Day is a thing.
It's when you celebrate the life of the pig.
What counts is the pie hole.
Judith Latham
2021-12-30 18:42:40 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bryan Simmons
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
today I learned National Bacon Day is a thing.
It's when you celebrate the life of the pig.
Happy Birthday Jill !!!
Again, Happy Birthday Jill !!!
Bruce
2022-01-01 03:34:46 UTC
Post by Judith Latham
Post by Bruce
Post by Bruce
Post by f***@sdf.org
i always make my bacon late winter or very early spring. now i want to
make it on National Bacon Day.
so here's a question.
my bacon recipe is a three stage process. curing, drying, cold smoking,
in that order. should the process be started or finished on National
Bacon Day?
What counts is the pie hole.
Again, Happy Birthday Jill !!!
Canned is cooked. Frozen is not cooked. Do we have to explain
everything to this guy?
Michael Trew
2021-12-30 19:36:46 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bryan Simmons
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
today I learned National Bacon Day is a thing.
i always make my bacon late winter or very early spring. now i want to
make it on National Bacon Day.
so here's a question.
my bacon recipe is a three stage process. curing, drying, cold smoking,
in that order. should the process be started or finished on National
Bacon Day?
That depends... how long does it take to complete from start to finish?
You might not want to be bothered starting the process on Christmas
day. Likewise, you might not want to finish it on New Years day, if you
are otherwise preoccupied during those holidays.
f***@sdf.org
2021-12-31 12:45:01 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bryan Simmons
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
today I learned National Bacon Day is a thing.
i always make my bacon late winter or very early spring. now i want to
make it on National Bacon Day.
so here's a question.
my bacon recipe is a three stage process. curing, drying, cold smoking,
in that order. should the process be started or finished on National
Bacon Day?
That depends... how long does it take to complete from start to finish?
You might not want to be bothered starting the process on Christmas
day. Likewise, you might not want to finish it on New Years day, if you
are otherwise preoccupied during those holidays.
that settles it. the most work starting the cure, the least work is
hanging the slabs of cured meat in the smoker and lighting the pellets.
plus, it's not really bacon until after it's smoked so finishing it on
National Bacon Day it is.
Michael Trew
Sounds like a plan! Care to mail some my way? ;)
Bruce
2022-01-01 03:26:43 UTC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 21:01:53 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Michael Trew
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
That depends... how long does it take to complete from start to finish?
You might not want to be bothered starting the process on Christmas
day. Likewise, you might not want to finish it on New Years day, if you
are otherwise preoccupied during those holidays.
that settles it. the most work starting the cure, the least work is
hanging the slabs of cured meat in the smoker and lighting the pellets.
plus, it's not really bacon until after it's smoked so finishing it on
National Bacon Day it is.
Sounds like a plan! Care to mail some my way? ;)
Sure, but will you pay for the shipping? Sorry, that was an obscene
question.
Bruce
Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 18:31:38 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bryan Simmons
[...]
am going to be making some soon. i'm out of it and refuse to wait nearly
a year to make more.
sure, i can send some prints of photos. :D
but seriously, we're kicking around the idea of going to High Point
Raceway in Mount Morris in June for some pro MX. has been a couple
decades since i've been out that way, and just maybe i could deliver
some myself. i'm in Western NY outside of Buffalo.
Can you go into more detail? I don't get it
2021-12-31 10:40:02 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bryan Simmons
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
today I learned National Bacon Day is a thing.
i always make my bacon late winter or very early spring. now i want to
make it on National Bacon Day.
so here's a question.
my bacon recipe is a three stage process. curing, drying, cold smoking,
in that order. should the process be started or finished on National
Bacon Day?
--
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org
I don't think he's a troll. Hank Rogers, GM and the other froggers are
trolls. Nevertheless, people sometimes talk to them as if they're
normal, decent people. Why? Because they have an enemy in common.

RFC, for all your double standards
Sheldon Martin
I presume the day it's eaten.
Bruce
everything to this guy?
Gary
2022-01-01 14:50:19 UTC
Canned is cooked. Frozen is not cooked.
Not in all cases. Alaskan king crab is killed immediately, cooked, then
frozen.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-01 15:11:26 UTC
Canned is cooked. Frozen is not cooked.
Not in all cases. Alaskan king crab is killed immediately, cooked, then
frozen.
Perhaps "frozen is not necessarily cooked" or "frozen does not equal cooked".

I can't even remember the first iteration of this; frogger Bruce has posted it
so many times.

2022-01-01 15:47:59 UTC
So is SPAM.
Michael Trew
2022-01-05 16:30:45 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bryan Simmons
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
today I learned National Bacon Day is a thing.
i always make my bacon late winter or very early spring. now i want to
make it on National Bacon Day.
so here's a question.
my bacon recipe is a three stage process. curing, drying, cold smoking,
in that order. should the process be started or finished on National
Bacon Day?
Canned is cooked. Frozen is not cooked. Do we have to explain
everything to this guy?
what in the actual fuck does that have to do with anything that i wrote?
are you ok?
One of the childish people who imitate Bruce was responding to you.
f***@sdf.org
2022-01-05 20:36:13 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bryan Simmons
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
today I learned National Bacon Day is a thing.
i always make my bacon late winter or very early spring. now i want to
make it on National Bacon Day.
so here's a question.
my bacon recipe is a three stage process. curing, drying, cold smoking,
in that order. should the process be started or finished on National
Bacon Day?
Canned is cooked. Frozen is not cooked. Do we have to explain
everything to this guy?
what in the actual fuck does that have to do with anything that i wrote?
are you ok?
One of the childish people who imitate Bruce was responding to you.
this Bruce shit is indeed infantile. and it nymshifts to evade filters.

must. practice. self. restraint. by. ignoring. it. !
Bruce 7
Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Bruce 7
2022-01-05 21:13:24 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bryan Simmons
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
today I learned National Bacon Day is a thing.
i always make my bacon late winter or very early spring. now i want to
make it on National Bacon Day.
so here's a question.
my bacon recipe is a three stage process. curing, drying, cold smoking,
in that order. should the process be started or finished on National
Bacon Day?
Canned is cooked. Frozen is not cooked. Do we have to explain
everything to this guy?
what in the actual fuck does that have to do with anything that i wrote?
are you ok?
One of the childish people who imitate Bruce was responding to you.
this Bruce shit is indeed infantile. and it nymshifts to evade filters.
must. practice. self. restraint. by. ignoring. it. !
I nymshift in an attempt to distinguish myself from my froggers,
dummy.
Bruce 7
This is my frogger.
bruce bowser
2021-12-30 19:16:25 UTC
Celebrate fully cooked bacon. Its easy to put on a toasted fried chicken filet hero with miracle whip, a few slices of ham, lettuce, tomato and plenty of salt.
Michael Trew
2021-12-30 21:22:14 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Celebrate fully cooked bacon. Its easy to put on a toasted fried chicken filet hero with miracle whip, a few slices of ham, lettuce, tomato and plenty of salt.
Miracle whip is salad dressing.

I was always disappointed at the "fully cooked bacon".

I just picked up an antique cast iron "bacon press" that gets hot
sitting on the griddle, and you set it on top of the bacon to weight it
down to cook down flat. It should also work well for burgers.
jmcquown
2021-12-30 22:40:45 UTC
Celebrate fully cooked bacon.  Its easy to put on a toasted fried
chicken filet hero with miracle whip, a few slices of ham, lettuce,
tomato and plenty of salt.
Miracle whip is salad dressing.
I was always disappointed at the "fully cooked bacon".
I just picked up an antique cast iron "bacon press" that gets hot
sitting on the griddle, and you set it on top of the bacon to weight it
down to cook down flat.  It should also work well for burgers.
I bake a pound of bacon at a time on a slotted broiler pan. Example of
the type of slotted broiler pan I'm talking about:

https://tinyurl.com/mzh4e4r2

The bacon comes out evenly cooked, as crisp as you'd like (depends on
the cooking time) and it's not swimming in the bacon fat. The fat drips
down into the pan below. I know you like to save and use bacon grease
so there's a recommendation for you. The bacon also doesn't curl up so
no need for a bacon press.

Bake at 400F 15-20 minutes (to desired crispness). You don't have to
turn the bacon, either.

2021-12-31 05:42:53 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
Jill
My stove didn't come with a broiler pan like that (most do seem to have
one), maybe because mines a top broiler. I'll have to find a pan like
that. I always cook the whole bacon package in the oven, but it's
swimming in grease, as you say. It would be more convenient to cook
with the slotted pan.

I usually leave it cooked soft, except for what's to be eaten today. I
drain the grease into a jar and put the today's bacon back in to crisp
up. Those soft slices stored in the fridge fry up nicely, a few at a
time on a later date. They only take a couple minutes to crisp up, and
leave just enough grease to fry a couple of eggs.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-12-31 10:13:54 UTC
Celebrate fully cooked bacon. Its easy to put on a toasted fried chicken filet hero with miracle whip, a few slices of ham, lettuce, tomato and plenty of salt.
Miracle whip is salad dressing.
I was always disappointed at the "fully cooked bacon".
It's bowser. Either he's a troll, trying to stir people up, or he's got the
worst possible taste in food.

Either way, I treat him as a troll: ignore him unless it's amusing to reply.

Mike Duffy
2021-12-31 14:26:59 UTC
It's bowser. Either he's a troll, trying to stir people up, or he's got
the worst possible taste in food.
He is what is known as a 'latent' troll. He's ashamed of the trollish
tendencies he feels within himself, and until now, he has always been
able to keep his troll personality under control.

But some day, something will set his off, and he will become a 'raging' /
'flaming' troll.

In any case, there is nothing wrong with mixing bacon, chicken, and ham
together with lettuce & tomato; Subway (tm) does that all the time. And I
am sometimes forced to use MW (Mayonaisse of Wife) when I have run out of
the good stuff.

But when more salt is needed, I apply it indirectly via feta, olives,
kosher dill pickles or even anchovies. Life is too short as it is.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-12-31 14:36:07 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
It's bowser. Either he's a troll, trying to stir people up, or he's got
the worst possible taste in food.
He is what is known as a 'latent' troll. He's ashamed of the trollish
tendencies he feels within himself, and until now, he has always been
able to keep his troll personality under control.
But some day, something will set his off, and he will become a 'raging' /
'flaming' troll.
In any case, there is nothing wrong with mixing bacon, chicken, and ham
together with lettuce & tomato; Subway (tm) does that all the time.
Scarcely a glowing endorsement. I haven't had Subway food in about
25 years because it was such a disappointment.

Plus, he recommended pre-cooked bacon (although he referred to it as
"fully cooked"). That's the only kind of bacon that's easy to add to a
chicken sandwich.
Post by Mike Duffy
And I
am sometimes forced to use MW (Mayonaisse of Wife) when I have run out of
the good stuff.
Stock more spare good stuff. I've got a jar in the fridge and two in the
pantry.
Post by Mike Duffy
But when more salt is needed, I apply it indirectly via feta, olives,
kosher dill pickles or even anchovies. Life is too short as it is.
Eh. I just salt my BLT. The bacon is salty enough for itself and the
tomato, but the bread and lettuce need a little help.

Eat more meat. Ghe.
Bryan Simmons
2021-12-31 21:53:45 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
In any case, there is nothing wrong with mixing bacon, chicken, and ham
together with lettuce & tomato; Subway (tm) does that all the time.
Scarcely a glowing endorsement. I haven't had Subway food in about
25 years because it was such a disappointment.
Subway's bread smells like vomit.
2021-12-31 15:58:50 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
It's bowser. Either he's a troll, trying to stir people up, or he's got
the worst possible taste in food.
He is what is known as a 'latent' troll. He's ashamed of the trollish
tendencies he feels within himself, and until now, he has always been
able to keep his troll personality under control.
But some day, something will set his off, and he will become a 'raging' /
'flaming' troll.
Kinda like "Bruce" is a 'latent' homosexual...???

Will he then one day become a 'raging'/'flaming homosexual'...???

"OH, the HUMANITY...!!!"

;o)
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Bruce
2021-12-31 18:59:46 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Either way, I treat him as a troll: ignore him unless it's amusing to reply.
Thing is, he seemed to have shown up here purely because other groups
have died off. bruce bowser was in many old groups I used to inhabit,
across a broad range of topics. His only criteria for participation
seems to be that the group is active, with regular posters.

RFC is the pretty much only group I visit these days, let alone post
to. I give the aus groups a wide birth now.
GM
2021-12-31 19:26:06 UTC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 02:13:54 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
Either way, I treat him as a troll: ignore him unless it's amusing to reply.
Thing is, he seemed to have shown up here purely because other groups
have died off. bruce bowser was in many old groups I used to inhabit,
across a broad range of topics. His only criteria for participation
seems to be that the group is active, with regular posters.
He writes some pretty goofy stuff, and he does not have "evil" intent, so he's okay in my
book... he comes up with some great non - sequiturs, too, especially with Cindy...

He's also not a pathetic attention hound à la "Miss Bwuthie", another factor in his favour...

AND he annoys Jill, *always* a plus in my book, lol...
Post by Bruce
RFC is the pretty much only group I visit these days, let alone post
to. I give the aus groups a wide birth now.
Yup, except for this place, Usenet is dead to me...
2021-12-31 20:25:01 UTC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:26:06 -0800 (PST), GM
Post by Bruce
RFC is the pretty much only group I visit these days, let alone post
to. I give the aus groups a wide birth now.
Yup, except for this place, Usenet is dead to me...
It'll be a shame when Usenet finally dies. In many ways it's
surprising there are still so many servers available, or that Usenet
even still exists at all.
Bruce
2021-12-31 21:04:56 UTC
Post by Bruce
RFC is the pretty much only group I visit these days, let alone post
to. I give the aus groups a wide birth now.
Yup, except for this place, Usenet is dead to me...
It'll be a shame when Usenet finally dies. In many ways it's
surprising there are still so many servers available, or that Usenet
even still exists at all.
Maybe there's money in providing binary newsgroups and the text
newsgroups tag along.
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-12-31 21:53:44 UTC
I'd bet on it.
Dave Smith
2021-12-31 21:58:15 UTC
I thought more and more people were opting for nonbinary these days.
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-12-31 23:21:15 UTC
I thought more and more people were opting for nonbinary these days.
You're on a roll! :-)
Dave Smith
2022-01-01 00:08:12 UTC
;-)
Michael Trew
2022-01-01 01:57:01 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Either way, I treat him as a troll: ignore him unless it's amusing to reply.
Thing is, he seemed to have shown up here purely because other groups
have died off. bruce bowser was in many old groups I used to inhabit,
across a broad range of topics. His only criteria for participation
seems to be that the group is active, with regular posters.
RFC is the pretty much only group I visit these days, let alone post
to. I give the aus groups a wide birth now.
I have a list of newsgroups that I still glance at and occasionally post
to. None as frequently as here. I see very few members of this group
anywhere else; I think that most people here don't post elsewhere. None
are as active as RFC, but many are still on topic and aren't
spammed-out. I've made a list an e-mailed it to a few people.
Jeßus
2022-01-01 02:05:23 UTC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 20:57:01 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Either way, I treat him as a troll: ignore him unless it's amusing to reply.
Thing is, he seemed to have shown up here purely because other groups
have died off. bruce bowser was in many old groups I used to inhabit,
across a broad range of topics. His only criteria for participation
seems to be that the group is active, with regular posters.
RFC is the pretty much only group I visit these days, let alone post
to. I give the aus groups a wide birth now.
I have a list of newsgroups that I still glance at and occasionally post
to. None as frequently as here. I see very few members of this group
anywhere else; I think that most people here don't post elsewhere. None
are as active as RFC, but many are still on topic and aren't
spammed-out. I've made a list an e-mailed it to a few people.
I used tomainly inhabit the .aus groups, but unfortunately they're
full of Australians of course, so I give them a wide berth these days.
Things have changed a lot in recent years.

Used to frequent some binary groups, but now kinda redundant for me.
All up, back in the day, I'd be a regular in 20-30 groups.
Bruce
Yes, you mainly.
Bruce
GM
2022-01-01 01:59:55 UTC
Celebrate fully cooked bacon. Its easy to put on a toasted fried chicken filet hero with miracle whip, a few slices of ham, lettuce, tomato and plenty of salt.
Miracle whip is salad dressing.
I was always disappointed at the "fully cooked bacon".
It's bowser. Either he's a troll, trying to stir people up, or he's got the
worst possible taste in food.
Either way, I treat him as a troll: ignore him unless it's amusing to reply.
Cindy Hamilton
I think it's a cross between. I usually find his posts rather amusing,
either way. If a troll, than he does it just right; about 10 posts per
day. Enough to laugh at, not enough to be incredibly annoying. Also, I
might be the only other one here who is amused by the ancient posts that
he drudges up.
I like bb's "daffy" style and the old and odd "incongruous" posts that he replies to...

I'd miss him if he left...
2022-01-01 02:19:50 UTC
And this is a boy who likes his salt, so it seems...
being on a low sodium diet (from hypertension) is exactly the reason i
learned how to make my own bacon. typically bacon is cured with 2-3% (by
weight) salt and i make it with 1-1.5% and compensate with other
seasonings to add flavor.
once a year i'll get a slab of pork belly, about 10-12 pounds, slice it
into quarters and season each quarter differently when curing. 1/3 of it
i give away to family, the rest gets used as side dishes. 1/4 to 3/8
inch thick fresh sliced bacon, a couple pieces is practicaly a meal in
itself.
next time i make it, i'll post photos.
A guy in Minnesota makes home made bacon for the meet that we have in
early August every year. Some of it is sliced insanely thick, but I
like the thinner stuff. Boy, is it ever good! I don't know if you were
here when I posted, so I'll share a few pictures again.

Home-made ready to be sliced on the right:

f***@sdf.org
2022-01-04 21:22:09 UTC
[...]
https://i.ibb.co/RhCqwtR/IMG-20210814-082137289.jpg
beautiful. this guy bacons. and i guarantee it doesn't taste anything
like the packaged bacon typically found in stores. it's much much better.
Post by Michael Trew
https://i.ibb.co/vVV6PVK/IMG-20210814-082120447.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/BskJ5y4/IMG-20210815-083325394.jpg
f***@sdf.org
2021-12-31 12:40:31 UTC
I just picked up an antique cast iron "bacon press" that gets hot
sitting on the griddle, and you set it on top of the bacon to weight it
down to cook down flat. It should also work well for burgers.
it does work great for burgers. the only burgers i make now are
smashburgers. whether i'm cooking them on the stove or a grill i use a
Lodge iron griddle (flat side) and a bacon press. a spritz of cooking
spray or a wipe of oil on the press helps prevent sticking, as does
pre-heating the press.

i've been tempted to get a Blackstone flat top grill for such things,
but i'm cooking mainly for two and have plenty of iron cookware to use
on the grills.
Ophelia
What are 'smashburgers please?
Bruce
2021-12-31 18:51:05 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
I just picked up an antique cast iron "bacon press" that gets hot
sitting on the griddle, and you set it on top of the bacon to weight it
down to cook down flat. It should also work well for burgers.
it does work great for burgers. the only burgers i make now are
smashburgers. whether i'm cooking them on the stove or a grill i use a
Lodge iron griddle (flat side) and a bacon press. a spritz of cooking
spray or a wipe of oil on the press helps prevent sticking, as does
pre-heating the press.
i've been tempted to get a Blackstone flat top grill for such things,
but i'm cooking mainly for two and have plenty of iron cookware to use
on the grills.
What are 'smashburgers please?
the idea is to get a lovely maillard reaction, that is get a nice
browned sear, to enhance flavor, and lock the juices inside.
Most non cooks like to say maillard reaction. Sounds so pro.

You could have just stuck with browned.
f***@sdf.org
2021-12-31 19:19:53 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
[...]
your opinion is noted and discarded.

when troglodytes such as myself get a chance to use words you don't
understand, i'm going to use them every time.

followup set.
Bruce
2021-12-31 19:26:37 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Bruce
Post by Ophelia
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
[...]
That was a fake Bruce. The real Bruce says: maillard away to your
heart's content!
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-12-31 21:11:59 UTC
I used to shoot a lot of mallards. Maillard is French for duck, right?
Jeßus
2021-12-31 21:17:55 UTC
Could be. They tend to react the same to French shotgun pellets.
Dave Smith
2021-12-31 21:54:33 UTC
Maybe it is French for a burned duck, but that might just be an old canard.
Bruce
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe.
GM
LOL! Perfect response.
GM
2022-01-01 02:10:13 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Ophelia
What are 'smashburgers please?
the idea is to get a lovely maillard reaction, that is get a nice
browned sear, to enhance flavor, and lock the juices inside.
Most non cooks like to say maillard reaction. Sounds so pro.
You could have just stuck with browned.
your opinion is noted and discarded.
LOL! Perfect response.
Best retort of the day, had me laffin'... *perfect* response to *any* of Miss Bwuthie's posts...

Maybe as the evening progresses we'll have some more hilarity...
Wasn't that your pal Greg Sorrow? I can't be bothered checking.
Bruce
Bruce
followup set.
Bruce
Bruce
2021-12-31 19:45:11 UTC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:36:44 -0800 (PST), dsi1
Post by Ophelia
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
I just picked up an antique cast iron "bacon press" that gets hot
sitting on the griddle, and you set it on top of the bacon to weight it
down to cook down flat. It should also work well for burgers.
it does work great for burgers. the only burgers i make now are
smashburgers. whether i'm cooking them on the stove or a grill i use a
Lodge iron griddle (flat side) and a bacon press. a spritz of cooking
spray or a wipe of oil on the press helps prevent sticking, as does
pre-heating the press.
i've been tempted to get a Blackstone flat top grill for such things,
but i'm cooking mainly for two and have plenty of iron cookware to use
on the grills.
What are 'smashburgers please?
Smashburgers are American style hamburgers that start off as balls of hamburgers that are smashed thinly while frying. The burgers end up thin and crispy. If you're doing it right, there will be holes in your burger. The Koreans know how to do it right. I predict that in a decade or so, the average N. Korean will weigh as much as the Americans.
Where will they get that much food?
dsi1
Did I say "N. Korean?" Indeed I did. I meant "S. Korean." Thanks for bringing that to my attention. That old age is setting in fast!
Bruce
Lol, ok.
Ophelia
2021-12-31 21:12:30 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
I just picked up an antique cast iron "bacon press" that gets hot
sitting on the griddle, and you set it on top of the bacon to weight it
down to cook down flat. It should also work well for burgers.
it does work great for burgers. the only burgers i make now are
smashburgers. whether i'm cooking them on the stove or a grill i use a
Lodge iron griddle (flat side) and a bacon press. a spritz of cooking
spray or a wipe of oil on the press helps prevent sticking, as does
pre-heating the press.
i've been tempted to get a Blackstone flat top grill for such things,
but i'm cooking mainly for two and have plenty of iron cookware to use
on the grills.
What are 'smashburgers please?
the idea is to get a lovely maillard reaction, that is get a nice
browned sear, to enhance flavor, and lock the juices inside. i'll never
make burgers another way unless i'm headed for a weekend of drunken
camping and grab a box of frozen patties at a store.
i take 1 lb ground sirlon and season it. then 1/4 the sirloin into 1/4
pound portions and roll them into meatballs. preheat a griddle or pan,
whatever works, set the meatballs one at a time on the nice hot griddle
and flatten them until they're about 3/8 inch thick with a bacon press
as mentioned above, or a small saucepan with wax or parchment paper
between the man and the meat. don't lift or slide them around until they
are ready to flip, and then only flip them exactly once, and give them
another press onto the griddle. it takes a bit of practice to know when
to flip them, you can tell by the juices coming to the top of them.
for better info on when to flip them (visuals are worth a thousand
words), are plenty of videos about making smashburgers on youtube.
Thank you very much:)
Michael Trew
2022-01-01 02:06:34 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Ophelia
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
[...]
I never make them this way, but I like the idea of it! Nice and simple,
just heat up, and smash while cooking. I hope to put my bacon press to
good use in a day or two trying it out.
Ophelia

Thank, D :)
Bruce
2021-12-31 21:41:29 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Ophelia
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
[...]
http://youtu.be/vEyEG7I5Imo
Thank, D :)
You silly twat. Ghe.
Bruce
This is not my frogger
Michael Trew
2022-01-01 02:12:42 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
[...]
Yum! Those remind me a lot of the Steak N Shake burgers... that video
made me hungry. Even better; topped off with hot peppers on the side.
Now that almost all of the Steak N Shakes are dead, I'll have to try
this. I can have that grease bomb once or twice per year, then I'm set
for a good while.
GM
2021-12-30 22:44:49 UTC
Celebrate fully cooked bacon. Its easy to put on a toasted fried chicken filet hero with miracle whip, a few slices of ham, lettuce, tomato and plenty of salt.
I dig the "plenty of salt" recommendation, bb...

;-D
2021-12-30 19:45:11 UTC
That's interesting. We got married on National-Bacon-Day. Now I'll be able to remember our anniversary.
GM
2021-12-30 19:51:27 UTC
To those of you who celebrate it.
https://nationaltoday.com/national-bacon-day/
--Bryan
That's interesting. We got married on National-Bacon-Day. Now I'll be able to remember our anniversary.
So were you and The Little Bride "makin' bacon" on yer wedding night, lol...???

;o)