Tortillas, with some high gluten flour added for structural integrity
2022-01-10 00:21:54 UTC
Masa tortillas are fragile. Flour tortillas are boring. I experimented
by mixing some high gluten flour in with masa. I don't have a tortilla
press, so these were rolled out with a French rolling pin. I fried them
in a tiny bit of oil. Next time, I'll up the high gluten flour a bit, as they
were still not quite strong enough for a burrito without doubling them
up. A little less delicious masa flavor, but a bit more structural integrity.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N08/albums/72177720295848354

They look good and with the right amount of brownness, too.
Dave Smith
2022-01-10 08:29:37 UTC
Masa tortillas are fragile. Flour tortillas are boring. I experimented
by mixing some high gluten flour in with masa. I don't have a tortilla
press, so these were rolled out with a French rolling pin. I fried them
in a tiny bit of oil. Next time, I'll up the high gluten flour a bit, as they
were still not quite strong enough for a burrito without doubling them
up. A little less delicious masa flavor, but a bit more structural integrity.
--Bryan
They look good and with the right amount of brownness, too.
Better than I'd expected for a first try. Next I'm going to buy some
wheat gluten to use instead of the pizza flour.
https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/product/bobs-red-mill-vital-wheat-gluten-flour-20-oz-b083kbz5dw

--Bryan
US Janet
2022-01-10 16:58:28 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 00:29:37 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
<***@gmail.com> wrote:
snip
Post by Bryan Simmons
Better than I'd expected for a first try. Next I'm going to buy some
wheat gluten to use instead of the pizza flour.
https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/product/bobs-red-mill-vital-wheat-gluten-flour-20-oz-b083kbz5dw
--Bryan
You are planning too ADD a bit of the vital wheat gluten to your
regular flour, right? You don't use it all by itself. It wil
basicallyl turn to wet rubber.
Janet US
Dave Smith
2022-01-11 01:15:35 UTC
Post by US Janet
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 00:29:37 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
snip
Better than I'd expected for a first try. Next I'm going to buy some
wheat gluten to use instead of the pizza flour.
https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/product/bobs-red-mill-vital-wheat-gluten-flour-20-oz-b083kbz5dw
--Bryan
You are planning too ADD a bit of the vital wheat gluten to your
regular flour, right? You don't use it all by itself. It wil
basicallyl turn to wet rubber.
The idea is to add a small amount to the masa flour instead of
any high gluten wheat flour. I know not to add too much gluten.
Its purpose is as a binder for the masa, and I'm aware that a
little goes a long way. The goal is a tortilla that tastes like a
masa tortilla, but has more the strength and pliability of a flour
tortilla.

When I get the proportions right, I'll share here, but it will be
especially fun to share with the other three guys from The
Bonobos, all of whom are very into that sort of thing. The
drummer (my nephew) owns a very successful NuMex diner,
and his older brother (1st piano, woodwinds), and my wife's
cousin (lead guitar, 2nd piano) are both super into cooking,
and adore Mexican food. Back in 2007-8, our Sunday
morning band practices were as much foodie events as
playing music.

Here's a shot of me carving the pig at the piano nephew's
wedding reception.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N08/3497684271/in/dateposted-public/
And another of the lead guitarist (my wife's cousin) frying
fish on a camping trip.
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
US Janet
2022-01-11 06:27:09 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:15:35 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
Post by Bryan Simmons
Post by US Janet
[...]
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
I haven't been to a "Do" where the piggy was that big! Impressive.
Smoked makes good eats.
The eggy breakfast looks might fine.
Janet US
Dave Smith
2022-01-11 09:32:28 UTC
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
I haven't been to a "Do" where the piggy was that big! Impressive.
Smoked makes good eats.
The eggy breakfast looks might fine.
We ate well on our camping trips. We all got together, plus a bunch
of others, last May at a state park. Here's an excerpt for the post
about that. Somehow I neglected to take photos.

_______________
It was my nephew's 50th B-day celebration. We all went to a state park
campground. I had this giant cryovac thing of pork spare ribs. I bought
it frozen over a week ago, and it thawed slowly in my fridge. The grill thing
was one of those ones with a cast iron grate, and right on the ground; it was
essentially a fire ring, but rectangular. It was not the sort of thing you cook
two big racks of ribs on. Folks there were dubious, both that it could be
done at all, and if I would have the lasting power to accomplish it, both
because my typical go-to-sleep time is so early, and because I was drinking
beer.

The fire was hot, and there were flames fueled by the fat from the ribs, but I
kept at it, flipping them with a fork, and sometimes dousing the fire of
charcoal and seasoned oak with water, but by damned I didn't make it work
acceptably. They weren't fall-off-the-bone tender by any stretch, and there
was a bit of burndness, but not much.
_______________
Post by US Janet
Janet US
2022-01-11 11:33:16 UTC
Post by US Janet
[...]
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
That pig looks horrible without it's skin. Of course, that's not anybody's fault. We went to a wedding that had one of those. That skin was not very good. OTOH, I suppose it could have been my teeth that wasn't able to bite through that hard skin. Heck, are you supposed to eat that skin? They should have just made wallets out of the skin and handed it to the guests instead.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gyLsMpoWMBLPJPpV6
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-11 13:30:42 UTC