Cancel Message
2022-01-08 01:22:46 UTC
I'm sending this message and canceling it about 10-15 seconds later. If
anyone would please respond and quote the message, if it comes through,
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
GM
2022-01-08 01:32:05 UTC
I'm sending this message and canceling it about 10-15 seconds later. If
anyone would please respond and quote the message, if it comes through,
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Received loud and clear...!!!

;-D
2022-01-08 01:41:09 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 17:32:05 -0800 (PST), GM
Post by GM
I'm sending this message and canceling it about 10-15 seconds later. If
anyone would please respond and quote the message, if it comes through,
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Received loud and clear...!!!
All the relevant info is on ET's own site. I guess the idea of
checking eternal-september's own FAQ instead of speculating is just
unthinkable:

Does your server honor Cancels and Supersedes?

In general, our server does not execute Cancels and Supersedes. An
article stored on our server can neither be deleted by a Cancel nor be
overwritten by a Supersedes which means that an article deleted by a
Cancel message on other servers is still available on our server
(article is not deleted) and an article overwritten by a Supersedes
elsewhere is available on our server in more than one instance
(different versions of the article are not replaced).

But our server does honour the article headers "Cancel-Lock:" and
"Cancel-Key:" that create a verifiable connection between an article
and a corresponding Cancel/Supersedes. Users who add Cancel-Lock to
their articles and Cancel-Key to their Cancels/Supersedes can still
delete and replace articles on our server. For our own users, our
server automatically creates Cancel-Lock at posting time; a
Cancel-Lock already present at posting time (added by the user
himself) will be extended according to the technical specifications of
the system. Cancels and Supersedes through our server will
automatically get the corresponding Cancel-Key after verification and
will be executed.

Additionally, we maintain a whitelist of senders that contains
well-known Despammers ("professional" Spam Cancellers) so that we can
honour their desirable Spam Cancels and NoCeM Notices."

https://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=faq#cancellock

In short, most servers have historically done the same thing, and
nothing has changed since then.
Sqwertz
2022-01-08 01:34:19 UTC
I'm sending this message and canceling it about 10-15 seconds later. If
anyone would please respond and quote the message, if it comes through,
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Cancels haven't worked for over 15 - possibly 20 - years. Google
groups may still honor them, though. They [used to?] use them
internally.

2022-01-08 01:44:48 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Michael Trew
I'm sending this message and canceling it about 10-15 seconds later. If
anyone would please respond and quote the message, if it comes through,
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Cancels haven't worked for over 15 - possibly 20 - years. Google
groups may still honor them, though. They [used to?] use them
internally.
Exactly. When was the last server that did? I suspect too hard to
configure/admin in order to prevent forged cancellations.
Jeßus
2022-01-08 04:39:41 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Michael Trew
I'm sending this message and canceling it about 10-15 seconds later. If
anyone would please respond and quote the message, if it comes through,
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Cancels haven't worked for over 15 - possibly 20 - years. Google
groups may still honor them, though. They [used to?] use them
internally.
Exactly. When was the last server that did? I suspect too hard to
configure/admin in order to prevent forged cancellations.
There was a "new system" that required an email handshake with the
sender at the email address in the headers of the OP, but each news
service had to implement it.
Yeah, it only takes one server to not honor cancels and the post is
still out there.
By the time it was proposed, 99.8% of
the cancels by then were forged by HipCrime bots that anybody could
run. There was no sense honoring cancels jut to allow somebody to
fix a typo or regret what they sent last night when drunk.
Hipcrime... now there's a blast from the past.
Common Email systems don't afford that same privilege, nor do spoken
words. Why should Usenet posts? Once you say something and somebody
hears it, it can't be unheard.
As it should be, really. Just as long as I don't mistakenly CC my
crypto transactions to the tax dept...
Michael Trew
2022-01-08 02:20:11 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Michael Trew
I'm sending this message and canceling it about 10-15 seconds later. If
anyone would please respond and quote the message, if it comes through,
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Cancels haven't worked for over 15 - possibly 20 - years. Google
groups may still honor them, though. They [used to?] use them
internally.
-sw
Ah, got it. Oh well, worth a shot.

I guess you guys were gracious enough for the one or two times in the
past that I accidentally posted something that I intended to e-mail to
quietly laugh at me and ignore it, after I thought that I canceled it.
Mike Duffy
2022-01-08 03:36:56 UTC
I guess you guys were gracious enough for the one or two times in the
past that I accidentally posted something that I intended to e-mail to
quietly laugh at me and ignore it, after I thought that I cancelled it.
If nobody replied, apparently your private emails are less controversial
than your public posts.
Jeßus
2022-01-08 04:47:51 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Michael Trew
I guess you guys were gracious enough for the one or two times in the
past that I accidentally posted something that I intended to e-mail to
quietly laugh at me and ignore it, after I thought that I cancelled it.
If nobody replied, apparently your private emails are less controversial
than your public posts.
A good rule is to never mix email and Usenet in the same software.
Seen so many ppl stuff up over the years.

I purposely faked such a mistake once, trying to troll somebody in
some .aus newsgroup. I didn't get the intended target, but I did catch
a certain Peter Lucas with that post (the old timers here know who
Lucas is).

Lucas was totally convinced he knew who I was, where I worked and
where to find me. It was great, I strung him along for many months.
What the University of Wollongong made of Luca's enquiries and attempt
to discredit me, I have no idea... (my 'accidental' post implied I
worked there).
Bryan Simmons

2022-01-08 18:29:39 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 17:16:32 +1100, Dave Smith
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Michael Trew
I guess you guys were gracious enough for the one or two times in the
past that I accidentally posted something that I intended to e-mail to
quietly laugh at me and ignore it, after I thought that I cancelled it.
If nobody replied, apparently your private emails are less controversial
than your public posts.
lol
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
2022-01-08 05:50:39 UTC
I'm sending this message and canceling it about 10-15 seconds later. If
anyone would please respond and quote the message, if it comes through,
I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
No, I'm not receiving it.
2022-01-08 16:06:51