An Appetizer (pic)
2021-10-07 20:37:05 UTC
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are. Potato filled pierogi is very boring. But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch or
necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I cook
dinner. :)

Bruce 0.76 Beta
2021-10-07 20:44:56 UTC
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are.
"Mrs. T's Pierogies, Potato & Onion
Water, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine,
Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Dehydrated Potatoes (Potatoes, Mono &
Diglycerides, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Citric Acid), Onions, Soybean
Oil, Salt, Eggs, Spice."

I can't wait! It's such a subtle touch that they don't just add
monoglycerides. Anybody can do that. No, they go the extra mile and
also add diglycerides!
Bryan Simmons
2021-10-07 21:03:03 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.76 Beta
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are.
"Mrs. T's Pierogies, Potato & Onion
Water, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine,
Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Dehydrated Potatoes (Potatoes, Mono &
Diglycerides, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Citric Acid), Onions, Soybean
Oil, Salt, Eggs, Spice."
I can't wait! It's such a subtle touch that they don't just add
monoglycerides. Anybody can do that. No, they go the extra mile and
also add diglycerides!
Do you know what Mono & Diglycerides even are?
The bigger quality issue is the shitty oil and dehydrated potatoes.

2021-10-07 21:17:33 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.76 Beta
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are.
"Mrs. T's Pierogies, Potato & Onion
Water, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine,
Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Dehydrated Potatoes (Potatoes, Mono &
Diglycerides, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Citric Acid), Onions, Soybean
Oil, Salt, Eggs, Spice."
I can't wait! It's such a subtle touch that they don't just add
monoglycerides. Anybody can do that. No, they go the extra mile and
also add diglycerides!
Do you know what Mono & Diglycerides even are?
The bigger quality issue is the shitty oil and dehydrated potatoes.
Gads, on espying the pic I first thought they were views of Jill's birth
control diaphragms, lol...
2021-10-07 21:34:00 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.76 Beta
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are.
"Mrs. T's Pierogies, Potato & Onion
Water, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine,
Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Dehydrated Potatoes (Potatoes, Mono &
Diglycerides, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Citric Acid), Onions, Soybean
Oil, Salt, Eggs, Spice."
I can't wait! It's such a subtle touch that they don't just add
monoglycerides. Anybody can do that. No, they go the extra mile and
also add diglycerides!
Do you know what Mono & Diglycerides even are?
The bigger quality issue is the shitty oil and dehydrated potatoes.
Gads, on espying the pic I first thought they were views of Jill's birth
control diaphragms, lol...
I know you're not much on ladyparts, but I don't think Jill has needed birth
control for quite a few years.
;-D
2021-10-12 01:16:05 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.76 Beta
[...]
There you go again, thinking only with your dick!

Didn't you watch the TED Talk on Ladyparts I cited earlier today? "Ladyparts" are NOT just the physical, they are also the emotional and spiritual.

2021-10-12 09:08:42 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.76 Beta
[...]
The only thing I'd like to see from you is your corpse pulled out of the
river or with your head bashed in.
2021-10-07 21:48:09 UTC
Pierogi.  Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand
pierogies are.
Jill
You really try to please Popeye. But he always rejects you.

I suggest you snap those pics naked, wearing only a mexican
sombrero Jill.

That will get his attention.
Sheldon Martin
2021-10-07 22:53:41 UTC
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are. Potato filled pierogi is very boring. But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch or
necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I cook
dinner. :)
https://i.postimg.cc/bw4B9wkH/pierogies.jpg
Jill
Mrs. Ts makes several fillings, I like those with kraut and potato
best. Naturally they may not be as good as homemade but they save a
lot of work and time... a lot easier than making ones own dough and
filling. I don't bother making ravioli from scratch anymore either,
most markets sell wonton wrappers for cheap... as good or better than
can be made at home. And I don't bother making wontons anymore, most
any Chinese take out makes pretty good wonton soup, fried wontons too.
I'm not all that interested in Chinese food anyway, I'm more
interested in checking out 14 year old Chinese waitresses... I enjoy
how they smell like soy sauce.
Bryan Simmons
2021-10-07 23:01:30 UTC
I'm not all that interested in Chinese food anyway, I'm more
interested in checking out 14 year old Chinese waitresses... I enjoy
how they smell like soy sauce.
When Nurse John reads that, he'll no doubt be reaching for the syringe.

2021-10-07 23:43:33 UTC
[...]
Popeye, the mexican children smell like ... well you know about
mexican pussy, right?

How's the old senora doing these days? Mechanical knees still
holding up?
jmcquown
2021-10-07 23:50:54 UTC
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are. Potato filled pierogi is very boring. But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch or
necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I cook
dinner. :)
https://i.postimg.cc/bw4B9wkH/pierogies.jpg
Jill
Mrs. Ts makes several fillings, I like those with kraut and potato
best. Naturally they may not be as good as homemade but they save a
lot of work and time... a lot easier than making ones own dough and
filling. I don't bother making ravioli from scratch anymore either,
most markets sell wonton wrappers for cheap... as good or better than
can be made at home. And I don't bother making wontons anymore
(snipped a bunch of stuff where you're trying to sound like Bryan and/or
Kuthe talking about 14 year old girls.)

The only thing I've ever used wonton wrappers for is making Thai pork,
crab & shrimp filled steamed dumplings. I haven't made those since New
Year's Eve, 1999 while waiting for the non-event that was Y2K. :)

Jill
Bruce 0.76 Beta
Yes, it's a bit exotic, isn't it?
Mike Duffy
2021-10-08 01:19:38 UTC
The only thing I've ever used wonton wrappers for is making Thai pork,
crab & shrimp filled steamed dumplings. I haven't made those since New
Year's Eve, 1999 while waiting for the non-event that was Y2K. :)
We went downtown to see fireworks at midnight. I put money in the kiosk
to pay for parking and the receipt it printed out for me said I was good
until some time in the wee hours of 01 Jan 1900.

Luckily for me, I did not have to pay for 100 years of parking to leave
the lot. I still have it filed away somewhere.
jmcquown

2021-10-07 23:20:57 UTC
Pierogi.  Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are.  Potato filled pierogi is very boring.  But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch or
necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I cook
dinner. :)
I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea of perogies as a main
dish. I was surprised the first time I saw them on a menu as an entree.

The first perogies I ever had were home made by a friend's mother, and
they were filled with sauerkraut. That set a bar that no others have
reached.
Bruce 0.76 Beta
What? Another friend!
jmcquown
2021-10-07 23:45:04 UTC
Pierogi.  Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are.  Potato filled pierogi is very boring.  But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch
or necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I
cook dinner. :)
I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea of perogies as a main
dish.  I was surprised the first time I saw them on a menu as an entree.
The first perogies I ever had were home made by a friend's mother, and
they were filled with sauerkraut. That set a bar that no others have
reached.
It would never occur to me to have them as a main dish/entree.

Jill
Bruce 0.76 Beta
Well, if that's your idea of a dessert, go for it!
Gary
2021-10-08 12:52:35 UTC
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are. Potato filled pierogi is very boring. But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch
or necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I
cook dinner. :)
I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea of perogies as a main
dish. I was surprised the first time I saw them on a menu as an entree.
The first perogies I ever had were home made by a friend's mother, and
they were filled with sauerkraut. That set a bar that no others have
reached.
It would never occur to me to have them as a main dish/entree.
Yet, just 26 minutes later, you told us you had a single baked potato
for dinner. lol
jmcquown
2021-10-08 20:36:56 UTC
Pierogi.  Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are.  Potato filled pierogi is very boring.  But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch
or necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I
cook dinner. :)
I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea of perogies as a main
dish.  I was surprised the first time I saw them on a menu as an entree.
The first perogies I ever had were home made by a friend's mother, and
they were filled with sauerkraut. That set a bar that no others have
reached.
It would never occur to me to have them as a main dish/entree.
Yet, just 26 minutes later, you told us you had a single baked potato
for dinner.  lol
A *loaded* baked potato. I'd already eaten four of those pierogies a
few hours prior. I don't have a huge appetite like you do, Gary.

2021-10-08 21:11:39 UTC
[...]
If that boy don't slow down, he'll be eating as much grub as Popeye.

He'll have to buy a 55 gallon steam kettle from Ikea.

Hope he has a good window to throw the scraps out.
Ophelia
2021-10-09 09:45:28 UTC
[...]
===

I have a small appetite too. I think I am a disappointment to anyone
who invites us to dinner:(
cshenk
2021-10-09 18:15:53 UTC
Post by Ophelia
[...]
I have to laugh. At my new job, I am as usual the 'tiny person'. I
eat a lot but one co-worker nibbles all day. It's actually healthy
stuff. Smile with me as she's very sweet but doesn't really get it when
gaining weight is hard.

When I have guests, I let them portion their plates themselves. That's
basic polite 101 level things.

A host would only be upset if you ate nothing, and then only at
themselves for not having anything you'd like.
Ophelia

Which is why I very rarely like to go:)
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-10 10:08:41 UTC
When I have guests, I let them portion their plates themselves. That's
basic polite 101 level things.
Unless it's a formal dinner party where everything is plated in the kitchen.

But I know you're an informal kind of gal.

We serve family style when we have guests. Or buffet if there are
a lot of them.

2021-10-10 14:55:56 UTC
When I have guests, I let them portion their plates themselves. That's
basic polite 101 level things.
Unless it's a formal dinner party where everything is plated in the kitchen.
But I know you're an informal kind of gal.
We serve family style when we have guests. Or buffet if there are
a lot of them.
Cindy Hamilton
When you stay "family style", do you mean just serving large
dishes/sides to the table where they are portioned individually? That's
how we've always eaten family meals, similar to Italian restaurants that
serve "family style" meals.
jmcquown
2021-10-10 15:27:18 UTC
When I have guests, I let them portion their plates themselves. That's
basic polite 101 level things.
Unless it's a formal dinner party where everything is plated in the kitchen.
But I know you're an informal kind of gal.
We serve family style when we have guests.  Or buffet if there are
a lot of them.
Cindy Hamilton
When you stay "family style", do you mean just serving large
dishes/sides to the table where they are portioned individually?  That's
how we've always eaten family meals, similar to Italian restaurants that
serve "family style" meals.
I'm not Cindy but to me "family style" means sitting at the table and
saying, "Please pass the potatoes". :)

Jill
cshenk
2021-10-11 00:17:26 UTC
Post by cshenk
When I have guests, I let them portion their plates themselves.
That's basic polite 101 level things.
Unless it's a formal dinner party where everything is plated in
the kitchen.
But I know you're an informal kind of gal.
We serve family style when we have guests.  Or buffet if there are
a lot of them.
Cindy Hamilton
When you stay "family style", do you mean just serving large
dishes/sides to the table where they are portioned individually?
That's how we've always eaten family meals, similar to Italian
restaurants that serve "family style" meals.
I'm not Cindy but to me "family style" means sitting at the table and
saying, "Please pass the potatoes". :)
Jill
Yup! But the building T-day here has to be buffet. Butter, salt and
gravy passed at the table though along with pitchers of sweet tea and a
few bottles of table wine. (We are all in walking distance).
Gary
2021-10-12 11:08:42 UTC
I'm not Cindy but to me "family style" means sitting at the table and
saying, "Please pass the potatoes". :)
Yes! That's what I've always known growing up.

What I do here in my own place is to leave all the large servings on the
countertop in the kitchen. Each person takes their plate into the
kitchen and puts what they want to on it. It's a buffet in the kitchen.

Then come back out to the table and eat. I don't have a huge dining room
table so this method keeps all the clutter out of the middle.

If you want 2nd helpings, just go back into the kitchen with your plate.
dsi1
2021-10-12 21:51:21 UTC
I'm not Cindy but to me "family style" means sitting at the table and
saying, "Please pass the potatoes". :)
Yes! That's what I've always known growing up.
What I do here in my own place is to leave all the large servings on the
countertop in the kitchen. Each person takes their plate into the
kitchen and puts what they want to on it. It's a buffet in the kitchen.
Then come back out to the table and eat. I don't have a huge dining room
table so this method keeps all the clutter out of the middle.
If you want 2nd helpings, just go back into the kitchen with your plate.
My guess is that food that's cooked at the table in a single pot or burner will be trending in the future.

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/the-6-best-hot-pot-restaurants-on-oahu
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-12 21:54:16 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 14:51:21 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
I'm not Cindy but to me "family style" means sitting at the table and
saying, "Please pass the potatoes". :)
Yes! That's what I've always known growing up.
What I do here in my own place is to leave all the large servings on the
countertop in the kitchen. Each person takes their plate into the
kitchen and puts what they want to on it. It's a buffet in the kitchen.
Then come back out to the table and eat. I don't have a huge dining room
table so this method keeps all the clutter out of the middle.
If you want 2nd helpings, just go back into the kitchen with your plate.
My guess is that food that's cooked at the table in a single pot or burner will be trending in the future.
https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/the-6-best-hot-pot-restaurants-on-oahu
That's so 70s and I don't like those Korean hot pot restaurants. In a
restaurant, I want the food to be prepared by a better cook than
myself.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-10 16:42:55 UTC
When I have guests, I let them portion their plates themselves. That's
basic polite 101 level things.
Unless it's a formal dinner party where everything is plated in the kitchen.
But I know you're an informal kind of gal.
We serve family style when we have guests. Or buffet if there are
a lot of them.
Cindy Hamilton
When you stay "family style", do you mean just serving large
dishes/sides to the table where they are portioned individually? That's
how we've always eaten family meals, similar to Italian restaurants that
serve "family style" meals.
Yes, that's family style.

We generally don't go to Italian restaurants that server "family style" meals.
1. It's just the two of us.
2. We like different things.
3. We can make that kind of food at home, so we tend to order things we
wouldn't cook at home. For me, that would be veal with wild mushrooms,
since my husband doesn't like the smell (taste, or texture) of mushrooms.

2021-10-10 17:06:05 UTC
[...]
My guess is that dining family style in the US is ready to go to the next level.

https://hoodline.com/2018/11/simmer-and-slurp-america-s-50-favorite-hot-pot-shops/
Michael Trew
2021-10-11 00:20:41 UTC
When you stay "family style", do you mean just serving large
dishes/sides to the table where they are portioned individually? That's
how we've always eaten family meals, similar to Italian restaurants that
serve "family style" meals.
Yes, that's family style.
We generally don't go to Italian restaurants that server "family style" meals.
1. It's just the two of us.
2. We like different things.
3. We can make that kind of food at home, so we tend to order things we
wouldn't cook at home. For me, that would be veal with wild mushrooms,
since my husband doesn't like the smell (taste, or texture) of mushrooms.
Cindy Hamilton
That makes sense; I haven't been to one in years. It only makes sense
if you have a large party with you. Even still, the purpose of eating
out is so people can try different things. Perhaps there's a cost
savings associated with ordering that style food if you have a large group?
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-10-11 06:18:50 UTC
That makes sense; I haven't been to one in years. It only makes sense
if you have a large party with you. Even still, the purpose of eating
out is so people can try different things. Perhaps there's a cost
savings associated with ordering that style food if you have a large group?
The Basque restaurants in Nevada serve family style to twenty strangers
per table. It's good food and a tradition here.
The Basque language is unique as are the Basque people. I'm not one.
Michael Trew
Hey, I'd try it!
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-11 09:02:43 UTC
[...]
Not every Italian restaurant is set up for family style service. I think that
even in their banquet rooms, the local Italian restaurants plate the food
in the kitchen.

Cindy Hamilton
cshenk
2021-10-10 16:29:39 UTC
Post by cshenk
When I have guests, I let them portion their plates themselves.
That's basic polite 101 level things.
Unless it's a formal dinner party where everything is plated in the kitchen.
But I know you're an informal kind of gal.
We serve family style when we have guests. Or buffet if there are
a lot of them.
Cindy Hamilton
Same here. Plates on the table and food either in center or up on the
built in bar. There's no expectation to try everything, a goodly part
is because our friends range quite a mix from Jewish/Islamic to Vegan.
I even have a few 'special medical diets' among them and a few with
severe allergies.

We don't make an issue of it but we kinda intro the dishes and how they
are made and folks select then, and if some brought a dish, they
explain it. Gary (not the one here) always gets a giggle as he doesn't
cook but will bring something nice from the store with a flourish.
Usually some sort of cut up fruit and a can of reddi whip (smile).

In the last year, there wasn't much of that but we've started back up
with a policy of must be vax'd or must socially distance. My house
isn't huge but there's room for that.

Basically just 1 person and she has medical issues (severe Lupus) and
can't get the shots. We have her in the grande lazyboy by the
fireplace with her own small table and we clear the other side of the
low eating table so she's about 8-9 feet away but it feels more like a
big table with her presiding as the rest of us sit on the floor on
cushions about the low Japanese eating table.

We may do the big thing for Thanksgiving but limit to a bit smaller
than some former years. We are already talking about splitting to 3
groups and deliveries between them the day before of things like
Shanika's 'Cookies to die for'. That would be 10-12 per house and
reasonable. Mini-tradition developed. I am to make stuffing bread for
all and a loaf of my Rasin rum bread.
dsi1
2021-10-10 17:02:36 UTC
Post by cshenk
[...]
We ate at a Japanese restaurant last night. That was way too much food!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e6hNnxvDXyxJR5NaA
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-10 17:18:25 UTC
We ate at a Japanese restaurant last night. That was way too much food!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/e6hNnxvDXyxJR5NaA
I have that same trouble with bento. Just too darned much food.

2021-10-10 19:55:24 UTC
We ate at a Japanese restaurant last night. That was way too much food!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/e6hNnxvDXyxJR5NaA
I have that same trouble with bento. Just too darned much food.
Cindy Hamilton
A bento is typically a small boxed meal meant for eating while traveling or while away from home The meal we had was a "teishoku." The teishoku is meant to be eaten in a restaurant or home setting. A bento is like a laptop computer, the teishoku is like a desktop. My wife had the fried oysters and miso butterfish teishoku set.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kJEU9Kop4BUgRZWx6
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-10 21:06:19 UTC
We ate at a Japanese restaurant last night. That was way too much food!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/e6hNnxvDXyxJR5NaA
I have that same trouble with bento. Just too darned much food.
Cindy Hamilton
A bento is typically a small boxed meal meant for eating while traveling or while away from home The meal we had was a "teishoku." The teishoku is meant to be eaten in a restaurant or home setting. A bento is like a laptop computer, the teishoku is like a desktop. My wife had the fried oysters and miso butterfish teishoku set.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kJEU9Kop4BUgRZWx6
I stand corrected. They're all called bento on this side of the water. Probably
because "bento" is easier for gaijin to pronounce than "teishoku".

2021-10-10 21:15:37 UTC
We ate at a Japanese restaurant last night. That was way too much food!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/e6hNnxvDXyxJR5NaA
I have that same trouble with bento. Just too darned much food.
Cindy Hamilton
A bento is typically a small boxed meal meant for eating while traveling or while away from home The meal we had was a "teishoku." The teishoku is meant to be eaten in a restaurant or home setting. A bento is like a laptop computer, the teishoku is like a desktop. My wife had the fried oysters and miso butterfish teishoku set.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kJEU9Kop4BUgRZWx6
I stand corrected. They're all called bento on this side of the water. Probably
because "bento" is easier for gaijin to pronounce than "teishoku".
Cindy Hamilton
It looks tasty! At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)

2021-10-11 14:12:57 UTC
It looks tasty! At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)
What's wrong with a styrofoam container for take-out?
You can always plate it at home. Or just dump it on a paper plate like
Sheldon does. heh heh
Bruce 0.77 Beta
That's very plebby of Sheldon.
Sheldon Martin
2021-10-11 23:41:47 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 05:01:22 +1100, Bruce 0.77 Beta
Post by Bruce 0.77 Beta
It looks tasty! At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)
What's wrong with a styrofoam container for take-out?
You can always plate it at home. Or just dump it on a paper plate like
Sheldon does. heh heh
That's very plebby of Sheldon.
We don't like styrofoam, feels too much like eating fast food mystery
meat, even the cats prefer plain white paper plates, they don't like
to eat from styrofoam. It moves around too much and makes strange
squeeky noises that scares the cats.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
Sure, but what kind of bum eats from paper plates every day?
jmcquown
2021-10-11 20:41:26 UTC
It looks tasty!  At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)
What's wrong with a styrofoam container for take-out?
You can always plate it at home. Or just dump it on a paper plate like
Sheldon does.  heh heh
Styrofoam is horrible for the environment. Most restaurants in this
area have switched to lightweight cardboard take-out containers.

2021-10-11 23:42:41 UTC
It looks tasty!  At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)
What's wrong with a styrofoam container for take-out?
You can always plate it at home. Or just dump it on a paper plate like
Sheldon does.  heh heh
Styrofoam is horrible for the environment. Most restaurants in this
area have switched to lightweight cardboard take-out containers.
Jill
Paper plates are fine for sandwiches and similar unmessy foods
and are very compostable... much better than wasting hot water and
dish soap on dishes. The plain white paper plates we use cost $9.99
for a carton of 1,000, and most get reused to feed the cats... saves
more washing. Also paper plates are factory packed in a heavy plastic
bag so they are sterile. We have two types of paper plate holders,
plastic and woven bamboo... both are good.
Gary
2021-10-12 11:04:11 UTC
It looks tasty! At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)
What's wrong with a styrofoam container for take-out?
You can always plate it at home. Or just dump it on a paper plate like
Sheldon does. heh heh
Styrofoam is horrible for the environment. Most restaurants in this
area have switched to lightweight cardboard take-out containers.
Well heck, that's what chinese takeout used long before styrofoam was
invented.
jmcquown
2021-10-12 21:10:38 UTC
It looks tasty!  At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)
What's wrong with a styrofoam container for take-out?
You can always plate it at home. Or just dump it on a paper plate like
Sheldon does.  heh heh
Styrofoam is horrible for the environment.  Most restaurants in this
area have switched to lightweight cardboard take-out containers.
Well heck, that's what chinese takeout used long before styrofoam was
invented.
Styrofoam was invented in the 1940's but I get your point. The only
reason I know about the cardboard containers is the man I work with and
his wife occasionally dine out and he brings leftovers to reheat in the
breakroom microwave. Reheating food in a styrofoam container, not a
good idea.

I saw a Youtube video - the guy was saying the you're supposed to open up those old Chinese take-out containers with the food inside it so that you have a big cardboard plate. I don't know what to make of that - it sounds pretty goofy to me.
Michael Trew
2021-10-13 03:59:09 UTC
It looks tasty! At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)
What's wrong with a styrofoam container for take-out?
You can always plate it at home. Or just dump it on a paper plate like
Sheldon does. heh heh
Styrofoam is horrible for the environment. Most restaurants in this
area have switched to lightweight cardboard take-out containers.
Well heck, that's what chinese takeout used long before styrofoam was
invented.
Yes, Styrofoam is disgusting and dirty.
I've never tried it, but I have seen it done; it works!
Gary
2021-10-13 12:26:09 UTC
Yes, Styrofoam is disgusting and dirty.
Please explain that.
Michael Trew
2021-10-13 17:41:47 UTC
Yes, Styrofoam is disgusting and dirty.
Please explain that.
Aside from it feeling porous and unclean (which is likely mostly in my
head)...

Styrofoam is horrible for the environment - hence disgusting/dirty.
Sheldon Martin
2021-10-13 12:58:00 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 23:59:09 -0400, Michael Trew
Post by dsi1
I saw a Youtube video - the guy was saying the you're supposed to
open up those old Chinese take-out containers with the food inside it
so that you have a big cardboard plate. I don't know what to make
of that - it sounds pretty goofy to me.
What makes you think having common sense and intelligence is goofy...
because you have none! Removing the metal handle allows for reheating
in a microwave oven, opening and flatening the container some voila...
a sturdy paper plate/bowl. Those cardboad containers are an excellent
example of Chinky engineering. The steel handle and cardboard
container are recyclable. Styrofoam is not recyclable, it pollutes. I
hate receiving packages with the contents cushioned with huge hunks of
styrofoam... breaking up styrofoam makes a huge mess with white
electrostatic bits everywhere... and the trash companies don't want it
in their recyclable bins. Even worse are those styrofoam peanuts. I'd
much rather they used real in-shell peanuts... they probably cost less
than styrofoam peanuts... peanut shells make for terrific garden
compost. In the Navy my mom would send me cookies cushioned with real
in-shell peanuts or popcorn.... there was no styrofoam then. Styrofoam
has to be the most moronic invention ever... puffed rice cereal would
be far better, and if you didn't want to eat it the critters would be
happy to.
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-13 16:12:53 UTC
It looks tasty! At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)
What's wrong with a styrofoam container for take-out?
You can always plate it at home. Or just dump it on a paper plate like
Sheldon does. heh heh
Styrofoam is horrible for the environment. Most restaurants in this
area have switched to lightweight cardboard take-out containers.
Well heck, that's what chinese takeout used long before styrofoam was
invented.
Yes, Styrofoam is disgusting and dirty.
It is made is sanitary conditions by extruding and thermoforming at high
temperature. Usually the containers are sealed in poly bags. Clean as
anything else in the restaurant. Insulates and keeps the food warmer
longer.
Michael Trew
2021-10-13 17:43:56 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
It looks tasty! At least it's not being served in a styrofoam container
this time. ;)
What's wrong with a styrofoam container for take-out?
You can always plate it at home. Or just dump it on a paper plate like
Sheldon does. heh heh
Styrofoam is horrible for the environment. Most restaurants in this
area have switched to lightweight cardboard take-out containers.
Well heck, that's what chinese takeout used long before styrofoam was
invented.
Yes, Styrofoam is disgusting and dirty.
It is made is sanitary conditions by extruding and thermoforming at high
temperature. Usually the containers are sealed in poly bags. Clean as
anything else in the restaurant. Insulates and keeps the food warmer
longer.
I'm sure it's clean when manufactured. I specifically meant dirty for
the environment.
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-13 18:46:38 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
[...]
It does not have to be. People are slobs for starters and don't want to
do the necessary steps to recycle it, such as cleaning off the food
residue. Then it has to be sorted and trucked.
It also is good energy for a trash to energy plant as it has 18,000 BTU
per pound to convert to electricity.
heyjoe
2021-10-13 22:17:12 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
People are slobs for starters and don't want to
do the necessary steps to recycle it, such as cleaning off the food
residue. Then it has to be sorted and trucked.
It also is good energy for a trash to energy plant as it has 18,000 BTU
per pound to convert to electricity.
Let's talk a bit about recycling.

In my county, they just closed all the recycling drop off centers.
You have to live in a city with curbside recycling pickup to
participate. Even at that, glass (one of the truly recyclable
materials, IMO) is not recycled and goes to the landfill.

Recycling plastic is a myth. China no longer accepts our plastic for
whatever they did with it (and I suspect they did not recycle it).
Using it as a source of energy is a great idea, but I wonder how it's
emissions compare to coal, diesel, gasoline and natural gas. What
sort of scrubbers and rare earth catalytic converters are needed to
cleanup the combustion by products of plastic?

We've pushed recycling for decades, but it seems to have poor economic
returns and is gradually being phased out for one reason or another in
one location after another.

I try not to buy plastic, but it ain't easy!
--
blah, blah, blah
Greeta Thunberg
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-13 23:37:46 UTC
Post by heyjoe
Post by Ed Pawlowski
[...]
I don't know t he details of the equipment needed for a trash to energy
plant but the pollutants in the one about 25 miles from my last house
were no worse than other plants.

The economic returns are in the eye of the beholder. Yes, it cost money
to collect and ship and many are not willing to pay the price.

While plenty of plastic is recycled it is not enough to make a serious
dent in the waste stream. People are not willing to pay enough to make
it practical. I know it is done because our company did it and welcomed
the scrap but it was a limited type.
heyjoe
2021-10-14 12:59:54 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by heyjoe
Post by Ed Pawlowski
[...]
"They" are shutting down coal fired power plants. "Too dirty."
Carbon taxes are being actively discussed at the US Federal level to
limit carbon emissions. Seems clear to me that current pollution from
energy production is too much for the greenies and plans are afoot to
disrupt our existing energy producing industry (while touting electric
cars as "the" solution for personal traqnsportation").

What did your company make from recycled plastic? I don't hear enough
about products that are made with recycled plastic. Clothes seemed to
be a thing for a while and there are ads for shoes made from recycled
plastic. There's packaging made from recycled stuffs. But what else
is made from recycled plastic?

If we must buy plastic what is the best type for actual, real world
recycling?
--
blah, blah, blah
Greeta Thunberg
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-14 14:39:44 UTC
Post by heyjoe
What did your company make from recycled plastic? I don't hear enough
about products that are made with recycled plastic. Clothes seemed to
be a thing for a while and there are ads for shoes made from recycled
plastic. There's packaging made from recycled stuffs. But what else
is made from recycled plastic?
If we must buy plastic what is the best type for actual, real world
recycling?
We made products from expandable polystyrene. The white foam used for
packaging, ice chest, pharmaceutical shippers.
Anything for food contact was virgin material. Anything else could be
up to 20% recycled that was ground and mixed in

Sure, it did cost a little to process but it kept it out of the trash.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-14 18:53:44 UTC
Post by heyjoe
"They" are shutting down coal fired power plants. "Too dirty."
Carbon taxes are being actively discussed at the US Federal level to
limit carbon emissions. Seems clear to me that current pollution from
energy production is too much for the greenies and plans are afoot to
disrupt our existing energy producing industry (while touting electric
cars as "the" solution for personal traqnsportation").
Good! America's waking up. Destroying the only planet we have is like
chopping of the branch we're sitting on.

If only Australia had a more environmentally government too, instead
of that coal loving religious fanatic. Why don't conservatives want to
conserve the planet?
GM
2021-10-14 22:44:43 UTC
Wind and Solar power each are now dumping out so much more energy per dollar than nuclear or coal, that there won't be hardly any coal or nuclear left with power plants.
Unless it's cloudy or the wind stops blowing, bb... and ya can't "store" solar or wind...

"...Meanwhile, other sources of power have been less readily available, with calm
summer weather quieting North Sea wind farms..."

If yer going to EUROPE this winter take yer MITTENS... BRRRR...!!!

Unless yer in France, which gets 70% of it's power needs from nuclear - and has
PLENTY to export to neighboring countries...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/business/europe-uk-energy-crisis/index.html

Europe is paying record prices for energy. A winter crisis looms

London (CNN Business)Energy prices are skyrocketing, and as winter approaches,
Europe is getting worried.

"The wholesale cost of natural gas has surged to record highs in the United Kingdom,
France, Spain, Germany and Italy. Bills for households and businesses are already
soaring, and could go even higher as cold weather sets in and more fuel is needed
for electricity generation and heating systems.

"We've seen huge price increases," said Dimitri Vergne, head of the energy team at
The European Consumer Organization. "It's worrying ahead of the winter, when gas
consumption will necessarily increase."

A complex web of factors is at play. A cold spring depleted natural gas inventories.
Rebuilding stocks has been tough, thanks to an unexpected jump in demand as the
economy bounces back from Covid-19 and a growing appetite for liquified natural
gas (LNG) in China. Russia is also supplying less natural gas to the market than before
the pandemic

Meanwhile, other sources of power have been less readily available, with calm summer
weather quieting North Sea wind farms, and countries ditching coal as pressure builds
to tackle the climate crisis. Germany is also phasing out nuclear power by 2022.

The deteriorating situation is quickly transforming into a full-blown crisis. Spain
has announced emergency measures to cut energy bills, while France plans to
make one-time €100 ($117) payments to nearly 6 million lower-income households.
In the United Kingdom — where natural gas spikes have already threatened to exacerbate
food shortages — Prime Minister Boris Johnson's team is debating the extent to which
it should offer state support. A UK price cap for consumers is being maintained, but
that's helping to push small British energy companies out of business.

"I do not see people freezing," said Michael Grubb, a professor of energy and climate
change at University College London. "I do see unenviable choices, between a lot of
companies going bust and who picks up the tab..."

</>
Graham
2021-10-15 00:48:17 UTC
Wind and Solar power each are now dumping out so much more energy per
dollar than nuclear or coal, that there won't be hardly any coal or
nuclear left with power plants.
Unless it's cloudy or the wind stops blowing, bb... and ya can't "store" solar or wind...
They are building the world's largest battery storage system not far
from me in Florida.  Some houses with solar panels already have such
systems.
You might find this article interesting:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/how-long-does-electric-car-battery-last-ev-2021/
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-15 01:13:09 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by GM
Wind and Solar power each are now dumping out so much more energy
per dollar than nuclear or coal, that there won't be hardly any coal
or nuclear left with power plants.
Unless it's cloudy or the wind stops blowing, bb... and ya can't
"store" solar or wind...
They are building the world's largest battery storage system not far
from me in Florida.  Some houses with solar panels already have such
systems.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/how-long-does-electric-car-battery-last-ev-2021/
Lots of ifs, ands, buts in there. It will probably take 10 years to
answer.
Graham

Michael Trew
2021-10-14 04:49:47 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Michael Trew
Yes, Styrofoam is disgusting and dirty.
It is made is sanitary conditions by extruding and thermoforming at high
temperature. Usually the containers are sealed in poly bags. Clean as
anything else in the restaurant. Insulates and keeps the food warmer
longer.
I'm sure it's clean when manufactured. I specifically meant dirty for
the environment.
It does not have to be. People are slobs for starters and don't want to
do the necessary steps to recycle it, such as cleaning off the food
residue. Then it has to be sorted and trucked.
It also is good energy for a trash to energy plant as it has 18,000 BTU
per pound to convert to electricity.
Yes, people are filthy. Much of our trash is sent on barges overseas,
and some of that ends up in the oceans also.

Our local recycling, if they even recycle things, ONLY handles certain
types of plastic and metal. No Styrofoam and glass.
Sheldon Martin
2021-10-14 11:38:07 UTC
On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:49:47 -0400, Michael Trew
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Michael Trew
[...]
Here no styrofoam is recycled but glass is, it's crushed and mixed
with asphalt (glassphalt) a stronger and longer lasting road pavement
and saves using about 10% macadem which is an oil based polutant:
https://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=macadem%20pavement%20and%20crushed%20glass&s_it=loki-keyword
jmcquown
2021-10-09 22:56:05 UTC
[...]
No worries, I'm sure anyone who invites you to dinner already knows you
don't have a large appetite.

Jill
Ophelia
Well it rarely happens these days since we moved so it isn't a problem now.
Graham
2021-10-08 00:32:12 UTC
Pierogi.  Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are.  Potato filled pierogi is very boring.  But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch
or necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I
cook dinner. :)
I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea of perogies as a main
dish.  I was surprised the first time I saw them on a menu as an entree.
They are very filling so can act as a main dish. Remember, the trouble
with having a Ukranian or Polish meal is that, three days later, you are
hungry again!!
Dave Smith
2021-10-08 01:43:10 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Dave Smith
I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea of perogies as a main
dish.  I was surprised the first time I saw them on a menu as an entree.
They are very filling so can act as a main dish. Remember, the trouble
with having a Ukranian or Polish meal is that, three days later, you are
hungry again!!
That would put it up there with a Hungarian BBQ. We had been invited to
one of those at the home of my nephew's wife's parents. A Hungarian
neighbour warned me to take an appetite. Holy cow. Steaks, pork chops,
chicken, sausage, perogies, cabbage rolls and much more. They also
seemed to want to get everyone drunk.
bruce bowser
Who doesn't? Just asking.
Michael Trew
2021-10-08 20:11:20 UTC
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are. Potato filled pierogi is very boring. But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch
or necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I
cook dinner. :)
I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea of perogies as a main
dish. I was surprised the first time I saw them on a menu as an entree.
The first perogies I ever had were home made by a friend's mother, and
they were filled with sauerkraut. That set a bar that no others have
reached.
Yum! I can't say I've ever heard of them as an entree.. however I've
made them (from frozen) as such.
GM
2021-10-08 20:29:09 UTC
Yum! I can't say I've ever heard of them [pierogi] as an entree.. however I've
made them (from frozen) as such.
Interesting:

https://culture.pl/en/article/the-people-need-pierogi-polish-food-trucks-in-america

Author: Natalia Mętrak Published: Mar 4 2020

"In the past decade, food trucks have gotten increasingly popular in
Poland – and it’s no surprise, since Poles are open to new cuisines and
like to experiment. What better (and cheaper) way is the to introduce a
new cuisine than to serve it from a small, moving kitchen? The rise of
food festivals and ‘breakfast markets’ has allowed us – at least those of
us living in bigger cities – to sample original concepts such as Japanese
takoyaki, Dutch pancakes or Cuban sandwiches. Food trucks have familiarised
Poles with cuisines from around the globe. But what about the other way around?

The idea of a food truck is, of course, not Polish, nor European: it stems from the
American dining traditions of chuck wagons, which served cowboys, and pushcarts
which served urban workers (and are still a staple in cities like New York and Chicago).
And that is precisely where we found the best Polish food trucks. Here’s our selection
of mobile pierogi, kiełbasa and gołąbki joints from across the pond!

Poles take over the East Coast

Launched in 2013, Old Traditional Polish Cuisine truck prides itself on being
the only Polish food truck in New York City. Every day, somewhere on the island
of Manhattan, you can sample traditional Polish-American cuisine, including smoked
kielbasa sausage, flaczki (Polish tripe soup), żurek (sour rye soup with sausage
and egg), as well as pierogi. One of the owners, Ewa, explains:

'Polish food is definitely getting popular, however, it still seems to be an underdog
and not everyone knows about it. We are thrilled to be able to provide classic Polish
home cooked food like our grandma used to make. (…) We love to celebrate and s
howcase our Polish roots especially during Polish American Heritage Month [October];
National Pierogi Day [October], and Fat Thursday and Fat Tuesday with pączki.'

The most popular dish on Old Traditional Polish Cuisine’s menu is the ‘Lite Combo’,
which consists of ‘Smokin' Hot Grilled Kielbasa’, Polish pickle salad, Polish mustard
and 4 classic potato and cheese pierogi served with sautéed onions.

[...]

It’s not hard to notice, there is one dish that reigns supreme. Pierogi are to Poland,
what sushi is to Japan, and tacos are to Mexico: both a blessing and a bit of a curse.
On the one hand it’s a wonderful, versatile, comfort food which deserves all the
recognition in the world, and lends itself quite well to the food truck concept
(although – as all owners rightly underline – it’s not an easy throw-in-a-deep-frier
type of dish, and when made from scratch it’s actually pretty labour intensive), o
n the other – there is so much more to Polish cuisine!..."

</>
Sqwertz
2021-10-08 02:34:48 UTC
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are. Potato filled pierogi is very boring.
I hear that. If I make pierogies with potatoes it's going to
include bacon and cheese, or sausage and cabbage as 66% of the
filling.

2021-10-08 09:55:06 UTC
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are. Potato filled pierogi is very boring. But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch or
necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I cook
dinner. :)
https://i.postimg.cc/bw4B9wkH/pierogies.jpg
Jill
They look good, but that would _be_ a dinner for me.

Cindy Hamilton
odlayo
2021-10-08 16:35:15 UTC
Pierogi. Sheldon often talks about how good Mrs. T's brand pierogies
are. Potato filled pierogi is very boring. But I found some filled
with spinach and feta today (he'll hate that, he hates feta cheese).
They aren't exactly what I'd go out of my way to prepare from scratch or
necessarily buy again, but not bad as an appetizer/snack until I cook
dinner. :)
https://i.postimg.cc/bw4B9wkH/pierogies.jpg
I like pierogi and have delis and markets where I can get excellent fresh-made ones. I'll occasionally buy a pack of frozen to keep on hand for pierogi emergencies. I think Kasia's (made in Chicago but fairly widely distributed) are pretty good, but I don't bother with Mrs T's even when on sale. See if you can find Kasia's; they're superior in every way.

I agree pierogi filled with only potato can be boring. Kasia's makes six potato variations, all made with real (not dried) potatoes. My favorite, though, is sauerkraut and dried mushroom. This is the time of year you can find fresh pierogi stuffed with a piece of plum, my favorite of the fresh fruit pierogi.

Kasia's Pierogi
http://www.kasiasdeli.com/wholesale.html
Dave Smith
2021-10-08 16:55:26 UTC
Post by odlayo
[...]
I don't know about the dried mushroom, but as I posted recently, my
first experience with perogies was my friend's mother's home made with
sauerkraut. None since that time have been as good as hers.
Post by odlayo
This is the time
of year you can find fresh pierogi stuffed with a piece of plum, my
favorite of the fresh fruit pierogi.
That sounds great.