I was Razor Scraping the Red Paint off the glass on my house's Storm Door!
2021-10-03 12:57:29 UTC
And the paint scrapings look like lacerations! :-)

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Thomas
2021-10-03 20:21:24 UTC
Painters tape next time...
Bruce 0.76 Beta
2021-10-03 20:50:55 UTC
On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 13:47:38 -0700 (PDT), Geoff Rove
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
And the paint scrapings look like lacerations! :-)
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Painters tape next time...
Yup or some paint thinner and q.tips nearby
Or ask Gary to do it.
Gary
2021-10-06 13:04:09 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
And the paint scrapings look like lacerations! :-)
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Painters tape next time...
Yup or some paint thinner and q.tips nearby
Or ask Gary to do it.
No tape, no thinner on Qtips or any other "trick."
Just use a good brush and paint neatly in the first place.
The razor scraping later if you mess up a little.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-06 13:08:43 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
And the paint scrapings look like lacerations! :-)
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Painters tape next time...
Yup or some paint thinner and q.tips nearby
Or ask Gary to do it.
No tape, no thinner on Qtips or any other "trick."
Just use a good brush and paint neatly in the first place.
The razor scraping later if you mess up a little.
Some of us who paint once or twice a decade can't manage
"paint neatly in the first place". I had endless touchups where
the colored wall met the white ceiling.

2021-10-07 10:21:56 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
And the paint scrapings look like lacerations! :-)
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Painters tape next time...
Yup or some paint thinner and q.tips nearby
Or ask Gary to do it.
No tape, no thinner on Qtips or any other "trick."
Just use a good brush and paint neatly in the first place.
The razor scraping later if you mess up a little.
Some of us who paint once or twice a decade can't manage
"paint neatly in the first place".
Well, I painted neatly from day one (July 1973) but was very slow.
As time went on, I got faster at it. Always neatly though.

Three days into my first job, the boss stood there and watched me for
awhile. When I came down from the ladder I asked him how I was doing and
added, "I know I'm slow."

He told me, "Yeah, you're a bit slow but you'll get faster.
Then he added, "I'd rather have you paint it right and be slower than
to have someone else paint fast and have to go back and fix it."
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I had endless touchups where
the colored wall met the white ceiling.
It's easy to cut a straight line to a ceiling with a few simple tips. No
need to touchup later. That's harder to fix than to do it right the
first time.

I'm always here. You're welcome to ask me next time you do that.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-07 13:25:44 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I had endless touchups where
the colored wall met the white ceiling.
It's easy to cut a straight line to a ceiling with a few simple tips. No
need to touchup later. That's harder to fix than to do it right the
first time.
My hands are not steady enough. I have to lean the heel of my hand against
the wall to get anywhere near a straight line.
Post by Gary
I'm always here. You're welcome to ask me next time you do that.
If I'm very lucky, I'll never hold a paintbrush again.

2021-10-07 15:20:09 UTC
On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 06:25:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Gary
I'm always here. You're welcome to ask me next time you do that.
If I'm very lucky, I'll never hold a paintbrush again.
Cindy Hamilton
He's painting a storm door because it's one of those ancient wooden
doors, worthless as a storm door, wood warps and doesn't seal plus
exterior wooden doors rot from being wet from rain. If Kootchie had a
functioning brain he'd change to a quality aluminum storm door and
never need to paint it again. Aluminum stormdoors are easy to install
and don't cost very much, less than the paint, brush, and drop cloth.
Today's aluminum stormdoors are simple to convert from glass to screen
and are easily adjustable for how much screen/glass to use... the
screen slides into the bottom half of the door, same with the glass. I
recently installed two new storm doors, one for the front door, and
one from the garage to the kitchen. Each cost under $100. They are
hollow and well insulated, the glass is double glazed. They will
never need painting. They are available in several colors too. Lowes
has them.
Michael Trew
2021-10-07 20:38:24 UTC
[...]
I disagree, wood is superior. It will last FOREVER when properly
maintained, and will NOT warp. It looks far nicer than cheap aluminum.
The last folks installed an aluminum storm door on the front of my
house in the 50's. It's ugly as sin, but I haven't replaced it, because
it is an odd size, a very tall 91" door, and that would be an expensive
custom-order door. I painted it to make the aluminum slightly less ugly.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-08 09:33:30 UTC
I disagree, wood is superior. It will last FOREVER when properly
maintained, and will NOT warp. It looks far nicer than cheap aluminum.
Does it look nicer than expensive aluminum? When we replaced our
steel front door with a fiberglass door, we got a very nice full-length
Andersen storm door, powder-coated a pleasing shade of brown.

No maintenance required, which is a big plus.

Cindy Hamilton
Bruce 0.76 Beta
2021-10-08 09:35:27 UTC
On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 02:33:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I disagree, wood is superior. It will last FOREVER when properly
maintained, and will NOT warp. It looks far nicer than cheap aluminum.
Does it look nicer than expensive aluminum? When we replaced our
steel front door with a fiberglass door, we got a very nice full-length
Andersen storm door, powder-coated a pleasing shade of brown.
No maintenance required, which is a big plus.
Damn, now I also want a very nice full-length Andersen storm door,
powder-coated a pleasing shade of brown!
Michael Trew
2021-10-08 21:23:39 UTC
I disagree, wood is superior. It will last FOREVER when properly
maintained, and will NOT warp. It looks far nicer than cheap aluminum.
Does it look nicer than expensive aluminum? When we replaced our
steel front door with a fiberglass door, we got a very nice full-length
Andersen storm door, powder-coated a pleasing shade of brown.
No maintenance required, which is a big plus.
Cindy Hamilton
That's based on personal preference. I won't go on, no one wants an
architecture lecture, but most wooden doors and windows have a more
pleasing design, that play off of shadows.

A full length glass storm door might be superior if you have an
attractive front door. Of course, it's less airtight, but the nicest
look is a nice door without the storm door.
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-08 23:59:25 UTC
I disagree, wood is superior. It will last FOREVER when properly
maintained, and will NOT warp. It looks far nicer than cheap aluminum.
Does it look nicer than expensive aluminum?  When we replaced our
steel front door with a fiberglass door, we got a very nice full-length
Andersen storm door, powder-coated a pleasing shade of brown.
No maintenance required, which is a big plus.
Cindy Hamilton
That's based on personal preference.  I won't go on, no one wants an
architecture lecture, but most wooden doors and windows have a more
pleasing design, that play off of shadows.
A full length glass storm door might be superior if you have an
attractive front door.  Of course, it's less airtight, but the nicest
look is a nice door without the storm door.
I have no storm door. There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I build the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.

https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T

This is the view out my back door.

https://postimg.cc/JygYrVt5
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-09 00:04:56 UTC
I have no storm door. There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I build the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.
https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T
Nice goat barn. ;o)

Did you have the option to ask for a storm door or was that the norm
for the houses in your subdivision?
Very, very nice. Do you ever see any 'gators trotting around back there?
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-09 00:25:03 UTC
I have no storm door. There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I build the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.
https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T
Nice goat barn. ;o)
Did you have the option to ask for a storm door or was that the norm
for the houses in your subdivision?
This is the view out my back door.
https://postimg.cc/JygYrVt5
Very, very nice. Do you ever see any 'gators trotting around back there?
Here is more if you are interested.

We could have had a storm door but we never open the front door in
summer since the AC is on and the main door has decent protection.

Closest 'gator I've seen was about 2 miles from us. There are ponds
around but they have been cleared out a few years ago.
Bruce 0.76 Beta
But do the gators know that?
Michael Trew
2021-10-09 00:14:04 UTC
[...]
The view from the back porch is beautiful!

I assume you must have central air (aside from the palm trees, of
course), as most homes without a storm door have central air. The
window on my front porch is painted shut, and it would be miserable in
here in July/August if I didn't have the screen in the storm door.
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-09 00:27:50 UTC
[...]
The kitchen has an 8 food slider and in cool weather that is open and a
front window. Most of the time from April to November the AC is on, at
least peak time of day.
GM
2021-10-09 00:20:43 UTC
Nice..."Meet @ Ed's Lanai"...
Bruce 0.76 Beta
Look nice and also snaky.
Ed Pawlowski
I've only seen two so far and that was a while back, Hopefully gone.
Bruce 0.76 Beta
2021-10-09 02:32:12 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Bruce 0.76 Beta
Post by Ed Pawlowski
[...]
The thing with snakes is that when you look to the left, the snake is
to your right and vice versa.
Lucretia Borgia
It's to be envied, lovely, trust you to think of a negative.
Bruce 0.76 Beta
2021-10-09 09:54:54 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.76 Beta
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I have no storm door. There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I build the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.
https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T
This is the view out my back door.
https://postimg.cc/JygYrVt5
Look nice and also snaky.
It's to be envied, lovely, trust you to think of a negative.
I said it looks nice. A Canadian must be in complete awe seeing
something sunny and warm. But yeah, I've had snakes on the brain
lately.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-09 09:13:33 UTC
I have no storm door. There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I build the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.
https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T
This is the view out my back door.
https://postimg.cc/JygYrVt5
What a nice goat barn you have.

Cindy Hamilton
Janet
2021-10-09 11:23:43 UTC
I have no storm door. There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I build the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.
https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T
This is the view out my back door.
https://postimg.cc/JygYrVt5
Lovely trees
Post by Cindy Hamilton
What a nice goat barn you have.
But where are the goats? :-)

Janet UK
Ed Pawlowski
Biggest goat is in the bedroom
Gary
2021-10-09 11:34:27 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I have no storm door. There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I build the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.
https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T
This is the view out my back door.
https://postimg.cc/JygYrVt5
Yikes. Have you been there for 10 years already?
My life is moving in FF these days. ;O
Ed Pawlowski
It will be 3 years in December.
Sheldon Martin
2021-10-09 14:33:15 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I have no storm door. There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I built the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.
https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T
This is the view out my back door.
https://postimg.cc/JygYrVt5
Yikes. Have you been there for 10 years already?
My life is moving in FF these days. ;O
That bench was likely made for his last house and Ed moved it to
Florida. Being small and light weight furniture would be easy to
move. Looks to be a nice bench, although can't really see it well
behind all that railing... probably where all the old goats sit. lol
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-10 03:41:17 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I have no storm door. There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I built the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.
https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T
This is the view out my back door.
https://postimg.cc/JygYrVt5
Yikes. Have you been there for 10 years already?
My life is moving in FF these days. ;O
That bench was likely made for his last house and Ed moved it to
Florida. Being small and light weight furniture would be easy to
move. Looks to be a nice bench, although can't really see it well
behind all that railing... probably where all the old goats sit. lol
It was made for the last house. Not very light weight though made from
cypress as it is weather resistant.

Here is a better pic
https://postimg.cc/0r5pYtwb
i***@webtv.net
Verrrrrry nice, very nice indeed.
jmcquown
2021-10-10 13:27:01 UTC
I have no storm door.  There is some protection from the weather though
and it does not get wet or direct sun. Insulated too. Oh, I built the
bench on the porch about 10 years ago.
https://postimg.cc/f3BZBb2T
This is the view out my back door.
https://postimg.cc/JygYrVt5
Yikes. Have you been there for 10 years already?
My life is moving in FF these days.  ;O
That bench was likely made for his last house and Ed moved it to
Florida.  Being small and light weight furniture would be easy to
move.  Looks to be a nice bench, although can't really see it well
behind all that railing... probably where all the old goats sit. lol
It was made for the last house.  Not very light weight though made from
cypress as it is weather resistant.
Here is a better pic
https://postimg.cc/0r5pYtwb
That's a very nice looking bench, Ed! And yes, being made of cypress it
would be weather resistant. :)

2021-10-09 09:11:42 UTC
I disagree, wood is superior. It will last FOREVER when properly
maintained, and will NOT warp. It looks far nicer than cheap aluminum.
Does it look nicer than expensive aluminum? When we replaced our
steel front door with a fiberglass door, we got a very nice full-length
Andersen storm door, powder-coated a pleasing shade of brown.
No maintenance required, which is a big plus.
Cindy Hamilton
That's based on personal preference. I won't go on, no one wants an
architecture lecture, but most wooden doors and windows have a more
pleasing design, that play off of shadows.
My house is a postwar ranch of no real architectural distinction. Its
best feature is that it's veneered with split fieldstone.
A full length glass storm door might be superior if you have an
attractive front door. Of course, it's less airtight, but the nicest
look is a nice door without the storm door.
The double-pane storm door provides an air gap between the exterior
and interior of the house, thus reducing drafts. I consider storm doors
to be an integral part of the house's envelope.

"The nicest look" is based on personal preference. In any event, it
takes a back seat to function.

2021-10-09 17:33:19 UTC
A full length glass storm door might be superior if you have an
attractive front door. Of course, it's less airtight, but the nicest
look is a nice door without the storm door.
The double-pane storm door provides an air gap between the exterior
and interior of the house, thus reducing drafts. I consider storm doors
to be an integral part of the house's envelope.
Thank you, thank you.
Again, thank you.
Michael Trew
Did you take a bow after that?
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-10 05:41:03 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
"The nicest look" is based on personal preference. In any event, it
takes a back seat to function.
Cindy Hamilton
Again, thank you.
Did you take a bow after that?
No, but Cindy should have after making such a spot-on post about storm
doors.

Notice I didn't add anything about the extra security a storm door adds.
I'll let you figure that out on your own.
Gary
2021-10-10 11:56:10 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
"The nicest look" is based on personal preference. In any event, it
takes a back seat to function.
Cindy Hamilton
Again, thank you.
Did you take a bow after that?
No, but Cindy should have after making such a spot-on post about storm
doors.
Notice I didn't add anything about the extra security a storm door adds.
I'll let you figure that out on your own.
Storm door security is false security...same as a chain lock on the main
door. Your handgun is *real* security. :)
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-10 18:06:11 UTC
Notice I didn't add anything about the extra security a storm door adds.
I'll let you figure that out on your own.
Storm door security is false security...same as a chain lock on the main
door. Your handgun is *real* security. :)
Expounding on your ignorance again, I see.

One of little cheap aluminum storms doors only offers protection from
flies and mosquitos if you have your front door open in the warm months.
A security storm door has safety glass in it making extremely hard to break
the glass and the locks that come with them are the deadbolt type. The lock
portion has a guard over it so no one can jimmy the lock.

These are not pictures of my house but here's the one I have on the front
door.

This is a picture of the two storm doors on the back of my house.

Here's a picture of the type of guard plate that covers the lock making it
impossible to jimmy the lock and gain entrance.

2021-10-10 18:50:11 UTC
Notice I didn't add anything about the extra security a storm door adds.
I'll let you figure that out on your own.
Storm door security is false security...same as a chain lock on the main
door. Your handgun is *real* security. :)
Expounding on your ignorance again, I see.
One of little cheap aluminum storms doors only offers protection from
flies and mosquitos if you have your front door open in the warm months.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a security storm door around here. Watching
home-improvement shows set in the greater Los Angeles metro area, I
was struck by how common they seemed to be.

2021-10-10 18:56:10 UTC
Notice I didn't add anything about the extra security a storm door adds.
I'll let you figure that out on your own.
Storm door security is false security...same as a chain lock on the main
door. Your handgun is *real* security. :)
Expounding on your ignorance again, I see.
One of little cheap aluminum storms doors only offers protection from
flies and mosquitos if you have your front door open in the warm months.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a security storm door around here. Watching
home-improvement shows set in the greater Los Angeles metro area, I
was struck by how common they seemed to be.
Not doorway related, here's a blog you might like, primarily economics, some
interesting stuff from time - to - time:

https://marginalrevolution.com/
2021-10-10 19:22:09 UTC
I'm not sure I've ever seen a security storm door around here. Watching
home-improvement shows set in the greater Los Angeles metro area, I
was struck by how common they seemed to be.
Cindy Hamilton
When I bought my house from the older widow owner, I think one of the
reasons she was selling was because she'd had a break-in while at home.
She had the aluminum storm doors on the front and back of the house and
her back door was open, but the storm door was locked. She had been sitting
on the front porch and came inside to be met by a man standing there. He had
easily jerked the back storm open and came in.

But she had also married the widower across the street, and they moved to a
town 30 miles away. I think both excuses were seized upon as a way to move
away.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-10 19:45:41 UTC
I'm not sure I've ever seen a security storm door around here. Watching
home-improvement shows set in the greater Los Angeles metro area, I
was struck by how common they seemed to be.
Cindy Hamilton
When I bought my house from the older widow owner, I think one of the
reasons she was selling was because she'd had a break-in while at home.
She had the aluminum storm doors on the front and back of the house and
her back door was open, but the storm door was locked. She had been sitting
on the front porch and came inside to be met by a man standing there. He had
easily jerked the back storm open and came in.
But she had also married the widower across the street, and they moved to a
town 30 miles away. I think both excuses were seized upon as a way to move
away.
It would also have been impractical to be married to someone who lives
across the street. Could have made a great American comedy with Tony
Danza.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-10 21:31:11 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.77 Beta
It would also have been impractical to be married to someone who lives
across the street. Could have made a great American comedy with Tony
Danza.
Yes, think of the expense of maintaining two homes. It was a good chance
to start the new marriage in a new home. Plus, an excellent opportunity to
declutter.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
And constantly having to Facetime with your spouse.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-10 21:40:28 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.77 Beta
Post by i***@webtv.net
Yes, think of the expense of maintaining two homes.
And constantly having to Facetime with your spouse.
At that time there was no such thing as Facetime and no home computers
either. I doubt they would have been interested in learning that new fangled
stuff.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
Just wait until covid hits them.
dsi1
My wife's co-worker had Covid-19. He got it from somebody and spread it to his family and his patient's family. His patient died from it. He says "now I know it's real!" Congrats pal, you might have just killed one of your patients.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-10 22:34:33 UTC
On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 15:16:33 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
Post by dsi1
Post by Bruce 0.77 Beta
Post by i***@webtv.net
Post by Bruce 0.77 Beta
Post by i***@webtv.net
Yes, think of the expense of maintaining two homes.
And constantly having to Facetime with your spouse.
At that time there was no such thing as Facetime and no home computers
either. I doubt they would have been interested in learning that new fangled
stuff.
Just wait until covid hits them.
My wife's co-worker had Covid-19. He got it from somebody and spread it to his family and his patient's family. His patient died from it. He says "now I know it's real!" Congrats pal, you might have just killed one of your patients.
Some people will never take it seriously until it affects them or
their family personally. I think it's justifiable to refer to these
people as "stupid".
i***@webtv.net
I'm fairly sure both are dead and have been dead for several years.
Bruce 0.77 Beta

Sheldon Martin
2021-10-10 13:07:14 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
"The nicest look" is based on personal preference. In any event, it
takes a back seat to function.
Cindy Hamilton
Again, thank you.
Did you take a bow after that?
No, but Cindy should have after making such a spot-on post about storm
doors.
Notice I didn't add anything about the extra security a storm door adds.
I'll let you figure that out on your own.
I don't know about extra security. A latch on a storm door keeps pets
in but locks don't keep crooks out, they typically enter through
windows. Storm doors only keep the weather out.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-10 18:07:43 UTC
I don't know about extra security. A latch on a storm door keeps pets
in but locks don't keep crooks out, they typically enter through
windows. Storm doors only keep the weather out.
Crooks are lazy and stupid. They will look for the easiest way to gain
entrance. Breaking glass makes too much noise, and they don't want
to risk getting cut.
Michael Trew
2021-10-10 15:03:19 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
"The nicest look" is based on personal preference. In any event, it
takes a back seat to function.
Cindy Hamilton
Again, thank you.
Did you take a bow after that?
No, but Cindy should have after making such a spot-on post about storm
doors.
Notice I didn't add anything about the extra security a storm door adds.
I'll let you figure that out on your own.
Only if it's an iron security door. Otherwise, they are very easy to
break into.. even more simple if the screen is showing.
i***@webtv.net
See my reply to Goofy Gary.
Thomas
2021-10-08 00:20:30 UTC
If Kootchie had a
Post by Sheldon Martin
functioning brain he'd change to a quality aluminum storm door and
never need to paint it again. Aluminum stormdoors are easy to install
and don't cost very much, less than the paint, brush, and drop cloth.
Today's aluminum stormdoors are simple to convert from glass to screen
and are easily adjustable for how much screen/glass to use... the
screen slides into the bottom half of the door, same with the glass. I
recently installed two new storm doors, one for the front door, and
one from the garage to the kitchen. Each cost under $100. They are
hollow and well insulated, the glass is double glazed. They will
never need painting. They are available in several colors too. Lowes
has them.
Just did 2 Larsen Tradewinds, front and back. Outstanding but not cheap.
Handles were 50 bucks each from Lowes.
Interior was fiberglass front with leaded oval and steel rear full view.
Painting and staining took a lot of work but no razor scraping.
Michael Trew
2021-10-07 20:36:31 UTC
Post by Gary
I'm always here. You're welcome to ask me next time you do that.
If I'm very lucky, I'll never hold a paintbrush again.
Cindy Hamilton
The quality of paint brush makes a HUGE difference. I used to get cheap
brushes, but I tried the $20+ Purdy brushes, and carefully clean them
when done. It's worth it even if you only paint one room with it.
Bryan Simmons
2021-10-07 22:18:59 UTC
Post by Gary
I'm always here. You're welcome to ask me next time you do that.
If I'm very lucky, I'll never hold a paintbrush again.
Cindy Hamilton
The quality of paint brush makes a HUGE difference. I used to get cheap
brushes, but I tried the $20+ Purdy brushes, and carefully clean them
when done. It's worth it even if you only paint one room with it.
For little brushes, 1/2" or less, go for the gold and take care of them.
For the wide ones, Dollar Tree. I got a nice surprise today. I went to
CVS to make an appointment for a Phizer booster, because next
Thursday will be 6 months, but they gave it to me on the spot, no
questions asked. I'm feeling pretty protected now, since I had Covid
last December, and now I've had 3 vaccinations. Next week I'll get my
flu shot. I got the shingles shots this year too. I love vaccines.

2021-10-07 22:39:11 UTC
Post by Gary
I'm always here. You're welcome to ask me next time you do that.
If I'm very lucky, I'll never hold a paintbrush again.
Cindy Hamilton
The quality of paint brush makes a HUGE difference. I used to get cheap
brushes, but I tried the $20+ Purdy brushes, and carefully clean them
when done. It's worth it even if you only paint one room with it.
For little brushes, 1/2" or less, go for the gold and take care of them.
For the wide ones, Dollar Tree. I got a nice surprise today. I went to
CVS to make an appointment for a Phizer booster, because next
Thursday will be 6 months, but they gave it to me on the spot, no
questions asked. I'm feeling pretty protected now, since I had Covid
last December, and now I've had 3 vaccinations. Next week I'll get my
flu shot. I got the shingles shots this year too. I love vaccines.
You should be very grateful, Bryan, to President Trump, who helped get "Operation Warp Speed" up and running last year...!!!
2021-10-07 23:17:46 UTC
Post by Gary
[...]
I'm grateful that he inspired his fans to use fish tank cleaner. It's like he
was trying to kill anyone foolish enough to believe him.
Bruce 0.76 Beta
Kill lots of deplorables and never be elected again?
Hank Rogers
2021-10-08 00:08:04 UTC
Post by Gary
[...]
He is such a wonderful man.

I bet he has a more glabrous crotch than kuth.

And even Popeye sucks it!
Hank Rogers
2021-10-08 00:05:50 UTC
Post by Gary
I'm always here. You're welcome to ask me next time you do that.
If I'm very lucky, I'll never hold a paintbrush again.
Cindy Hamilton
The quality of paint brush makes a HUGE difference. I used to get cheap
brushes, but I tried the $20+ Purdy brushes, and carefully clean them
when done. It's worth it even if you only paint one room with it.
For little brushes, 1/2" or less, go for the gold and take care of them.
For the wide ones, Dollar Tree. I got a nice surprise today. I went to
CVS to make an appointment for a Phizer booster, because next
Thursday will be 6 months, but they gave it to me on the spot, no
questions asked. I'm feeling pretty protected now, since I had Covid
last December, and now I've had 3 vaccinations. Next week I'll get my
flu shot. I got the shingles shots this year too. I love vaccines.
--Bryan
A lot of the folks around you are waiting though. They won't take
a shot unless trump gets elected in '24.
Gary
2021-10-08 12:51:59 UTC
For little brushes, 1/2" or less, go for the gold and take care of them.
For the wide ones, Dollar Tree.
<shaking head>
Post by Bryan Simmons
I got a nice surprise today. I went to
CVS to make an appointment for a Phizer booster, because next
Thursday will be 6 months, but they gave it to me on the spot, no
questions asked. I'm feeling pretty protected now, since I had Covid
last December, and now I've had 3 vaccinations. Next week I'll get my
flu shot. I got the shingles shots this year too. I love vaccines.
You sure do. Don't forget your pneumonia shot.
Next year before the mid-term elections, they should have a Trump
vaccine available. President Pelosi is pushing for that now.
Gary
2021-10-08 12:49:31 UTC
The quality of paint brush makes a HUGE difference. I used to get cheap
brushes, but I tried the $20+ Purdy brushes, and carefully clean them
when done. It's worth it even if you only paint one room with it.
Yes. Those are excellent for latex paint. I have several.
Wooster also sells good latex brushes.

Wooster is also the company that sells those excellent Yachtsman bristle
brushes I mentioned for oil paint.

Never buy cheap brushes. That's the main tool for painting.
Clean them well and wrap them well to retain good tips.
Michael Trew
2021-10-08 21:27:38 UTC
The quality of paint brush makes a HUGE difference. I used to get cheap
brushes, but I tried the $20+ Purdy brushes, and carefully clean them
when done. It's worth it even if you only paint one room with it.
Yes. Those are excellent for latex paint. I have several.
Wooster also sells good latex brushes.
Wooster is also the company that sells those excellent Yachtsman bristle
brushes I mentioned for oil paint.
I've never used those, I usually buy china bristle for oil. Are those
better? I don't use much oil, aside from primer; specifically for exterior.
Gary
2021-10-09 11:25:49 UTC
The quality of paint brush makes a HUGE difference. I used to get cheap
brushes, but I tried the $20+ Purdy brushes, and carefully clean them
when done. It's worth it even if you only paint one room with it.
Yes. Those are excellent for latex paint. I have several.
Wooster also sells good latex brushes.
Wooster is also the company that sells those excellent Yachtsman bristle
brushes I mentioned for oil paint.
I've never used those, I usually buy china bristle for oil. Are those
better?
The Wooster Yachtsman brushes *are* china bristle and they are the best
I've ever used. Used them almost exclusively for about 100 years.

2 1/2" used for most things. Windows, crown molding, frames, baseboard
and 6-panel doors. For slightly larger things, like a flush door or
wider trim outside, a 3" is handy to have available.
Sheldon Martin
2021-10-08 14:09:54 UTC
If I'm very lucky, I'll never hold a paintbrush again.
Yeah. That's the way I feel. ;)
Don't yoose give yourselves a mani/pedi?
Gary
2021-10-08 14:39:13 UTC
If I'm very lucky, I'll never hold a paintbrush again.
Yeah. That's the way I feel. ;)
Don't yoose give yourselves a mani/pedi?
Sheldon. If you paint your nails, please don't tell us or you will lose
all face here forever.
Sheldon Martin
2021-10-08 16:52:54 UTC
If I'm very lucky, I'll never hold a paintbrush again.
Yeah. That's the way I feel. ;)
Don't yoose give yourselves a mani/pedi?
Sheldon. If you paint your nails, please don't tell us or you will lose
all face here forever.
It one time I painted my finger nails with a clear coat, it was
medicated to keep me from biting my nails. It worked, I stopped
biting my nails some forty years ago. But I still clip and file my
nails. And I go to a podiatrist about every three months for him to
clip and file my toenails, my medical ins covers the fee for every
nine weeks. I used to do my toenails myself but with age it's gotten
more difficult, nails have gotten thicker and a bit more difficult to
reach and see. It's much better to have a professional do it,
especially since it's free, and his two young female assistants are
very pleasant and very easy on the eyes. I always scrub my feet
before I go but still they lay a hot towel containing some sort of
liquid over my toes for about fifteen minutes before the doctor
arrives. I'm pretty sure that most medical insurance covers for
podiatry, I didn't know that previously. Since I'm right handed I
have no problem doing my right foot but my left foot became a lot more
difficult. I'm not too good with clippers with my left hand and
especially reaching over. Even though I'm a master tool maker I've
never done well with tools with my left hand. I asked my primary care
MD and he sent me to this podiatrist only 15 minutes down the road.
It's a good idea to ask.
John Kuthe
2021-10-06 13:08:54 UTC
On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 8:04:29 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
No tape, no thinner on Qtips or any other "trick."
Just use a good brush and paint neatly in the first place.
The razor scraping later if you mess up a little.
That's what I did, and it looks GREAT! I use cheap disposale brushes, but because PostImages.org is fucked UP, I can't show anything to anyone. :-(

Fucking Internet shit! :-(

2021-10-06 13:56:46 UTC
No tape, no thinner on Qtips or any other "trick."
Just use a good brush and paint neatly in the first place.
The razor scraping later if you mess up a little.
That's what I did, and it looks GREAT! I use cheap disposale brushes, but because PostImages.org is fucked UP, I can't show anything to anyone. :-(
Fucking Internet shit! :-(
If ya'd get that GERBIL outta yer ass, John, you could concentrate on posting on Postimages...

;-D
Alex
It's software - cloud software.  Welcome to 2020 computer genius!
Gary
2021-10-07 10:23:00 UTC
No tape, no thinner on Qtips or any other "trick."
Just use a good brush and paint neatly in the first place.
The razor scraping later if you mess up a little.
That's what I did, and it looks GREAT! I use cheap disposale brushes,
No, I specified to use a good brush. Makes all the difference.
For that oil paint that you used on the door, invest in a
Yachtsman 2 1/2" china bristle brush. They are the best for oil paint
and don't cost that much...less than $10. One would last you a lifetime
as long as you clean and wrap it well after each use.
Post by John Kuthe
but because PostImages.org is fucked UP, I can't show anything to anyone. :-(
Fucking Internet shit! :-(
Nothing wrong with postimages.org
You just need to update the browser you're using.

In the meantime, post your pictures using https://www.hostpic.org
That still works. That's the one I've always used.
Lucretia Borgia
2021-10-06 13:51:41 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
And the paint scrapings look like lacerations! :-)
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Painters tape next time...
Yup or some paint thinner and q.tips nearby
Or ask Gary to do it.
No tape, no thinner on Qtips or any other "trick."
Just use a good brush and paint neatly in the first place.
The razor scraping later if you mess up a little.
I found the 'good brush' was the most important thing. As the years
went on I decided once to buy cheapest and instead of all the cleaning
fuss afterwards, just ditch them. Big mistake, you can't paint
accurately far less well with a cheap brush :(
Gary
2021-10-07 10:23:29 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
I found the 'good brush' was the most important thing. As the years
went on I decided once to buy cheapest and instead of all the cleaning
fuss afterwards, just ditch them. Big mistake, you can't paint
accurately far less well with a cheap brush :(
So true, L. The paintbrush is a painters most important tool. Don't ever
go cheap there. A cheap one will just fight you all the way.

Also, the really good brushes aren't that much more expensive anyway.
Best to buy a good one, keep it clean and it will last the occasional
home painter forever. Even cheaper in the long run vs throwaway brushes.
Michael Trew
2021-10-07 20:35:10 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
And the paint scrapings look like lacerations! :-)
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Painters tape next time...
Yup or some paint thinner and q.tips nearby
Or ask Gary to do it.
No tape, no thinner on Qtips or any other "trick."
Just use a good brush and paint neatly in the first place.
The razor scraping later if you mess up a little.
Precisely. I never use painters tape, unless a very odd angle or other
special circumstance. When paint wooden sashes or storm doors, it's
best to lap close to an 1/8th inch onto the glass to seal it.
John Kuthe
2021-10-04 00:14:00 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
And the paint scrapings look like lacerations! :-)
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Painters tape next time...
I just free handed with brushes. I knew I could (And I did!) scrape the glass today! Looks a LOT better! :-)