Hunan Vegetables
2022-01-08 23:43:04 UTC
The hot and sour Hunan Vegetables recipe looks like it would be tasty over noodles (Lo Mein)..

1/4 ts Red pepper flakes
1/2 lb Carrots; cut diagonally into
1 1/2 tb Water
4 Scallions; cut diagonally
1 tb Garlic ; minced
2 tb White vinegar
1/4 ts Sugar
1 tb Cornstarch; dissolved in
3/4 lb Cauliflower florets; cut
1 tb Minced ginger
2 tb Fermented black beans;
1/2 c Vegetable stock; unsalted
2 1/2 tb Soy sauce
1 lb Zucchini; cut into 1/4 inch

It came from the China Moon Cafe in San Francisco -- has anyone been there? It was suggested that you eat four mouthfuls of unseasoned (steamed) rice for every oneof highly seasoned topping. Yin/Yang. (I omitted 2 T oil). [Lucinda] Combine ginger, garlic, black beans and red pepper flakes in a small bowl; cover and set aside. Blend stock, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar together in a second bowl. Bring large pot of water to a rolling boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Blanch cauliflower 1 minute, then plunge into the ice water. Repeat with remaining vegetables, letting water in the pot return to a boil before adding a fresh batch. Blanch the carrots for 15 seconds, and the zucchini for 5 seconds. Drain the vegetables well and place in separate bowls. Heat a wok or large heavy skillet over high heat until hot enough to a drop of water on contact. Add water (about 2 T) and swirl to glaze pan. Reduce heat to moderately high, than add ginger mixture and stir gently until fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds. Add cauliflower and toss 2 minutes. Add carrots and toss 1 1/2 minutes, than add zucchini and toss 30 seconds. Stir stock minxture and add to pan, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer, then cover and cook until veggies are crisp-tender, about 30 to 60 seconds. Stir cornstarch mixture to blend, than add to pan and stir until sauce turns glossy and slightly thick, 10 to 20 seconds. Serve immediately ona heated platter, garnished with a sprinkling of scallion rings and teamed up with noodles or rice. Serves 4 to 6.

Recipe by: China Moon Cookbook, SF (Lu Bozinovich) Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #798 by KitPATh on Sep 22, 1997

-- https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/hot-and-sour-hunan-vegetables/98640
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 00:16:07 UTC
On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:43:04 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Je├čus
2022-01-09 01:24:33 UTC
On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:43:04 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

At first I thought you were cooking Stephen Hawking, until I re-read
your subject header again.
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 04:00:55 UTC
On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:43:04 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
At first I thought you were cooking Stephen Hawking, until I re-read
your subject header again.
Uhm, Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
2022-01-09 09:33:31 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
Because you substituted water for oil, at this point you have a dry pan.

2T of water? I didn't see that in the original ingredients list.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-09 16:11:10 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
"(I omitted 2 T oil)"

I did make an assumption that when you omitted the oil, you substituted water,
since the quantities were identical.

You can't glaze a ripping-hot pan with water. Epic fail.

Leonard Blaisdell
2022-01-10 02:09:09 UTC
You can't glaze a ripping-hot pan with water. Epic fail.
Then, wow. I guess no-stick-pan technology has come quite a ways.
If your parakeet didn't die, you're golden.
Dave Smith
2022-01-10 19:03:34 UTC
On 10 Jan 2022 02:09:09 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
You can't glaze a ripping-hot pan with water. Epic fail.
Then, wow. I guess no-stick-pan technology has come quite a ways.
If your parakeet didn't die, you're golden.
This is not my frogger.

Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Sqwertz
2022-01-09 16:59:06 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
Yep. And teh recipe is from Barbara Tropp who ran teh restaurant.
not some Polish lady named Lu.

"Glaze the pan with water" - sheesh! This would not cook right at
all.

2022-01-09 17:51:09 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
-sw
Bowser got it from bigoven.com, posted by Lu Bozinovich. She appears
to have got it from MC-Recipe Digest, posted there by KitPATh in 1977.

Looks like Lu changed it from stir-frying in oil to... Well, I don't know what to
call it when you put 2 tablespoons of water in a hot pan and watch it flash away.