REC: Squash Casserole
2021-11-23 00:27:45 UTC
If you look up recipes for squash casserole you'll find all sorts of
ingredients I don't put in mine. No sour cream, no cheddar cheese. I
don't use crushed Ritz or buttery crackers in it, either. Crumbled
cornbread stuffing crumbs, folks!

I had been trying to re-create squash casserole I'd been served as a
vegetable side dish over the years at "home-style" restaurants. This is
what I came up with and it tastes as close to what I recall as I could get:

Squash Casserole

2 c. sliced yellow (crookneck) squash
1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 c. cornbread stuffing crumbs
1 c. milk
1 small minced onion
1 Tbs. butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients. Place in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. Bake
at 350°F for 1 hour or until set.

NOTES: (1) I use the food processor slicing blade to cut the squash in
uniform slices. This casserole is pretty much the only thing I use the
FP for.

(2) I parcook the sliced squash for a few minutes over boiling water in
a steamer basket. I prefer the squash to already be a little tender
when the assembled casserole goes into the oven. The "casserole" I was
attempting to recreate was very moist and tender.

(3) You could probably use baked winter squash but looking at the
recipes online for winter squash casserole, hmmm, sour cream, and oh,
sugar, brown sugar more stuff. Not at all what I was going for when I
came up with this recipe but feel free if you want to. ;)

2021-11-23 00:42:55 UTC
If you look up recipes for squash casserole you'll find all sorts of
ingredients I don't put in mine. No sour cream, no cheddar cheese. I
don't use crushed Ritz or buttery crackers in it, either. Crumbled
cornbread stuffing crumbs, folks!
Jill
That does sound good. The squash casseroles I've sampled are either
watery or too cheesy or those clumps of Ritz crackers sitting on top.

Saved!
jmcquown
2021-11-23 01:05:40 UTC
If you look up recipes for squash casserole you'll find all sorts of
ingredients I don't put in mine. No sour cream, no cheddar cheese. I
don't use crushed Ritz or buttery crackers in it, either. Crumbled
cornbread stuffing crumbs, folks!
Jill
That does sound good. The squash casseroles I've sampled are either
watery or too cheesy or those clumps of Ritz crackers sitting on top.
Saved!
I hope if you like it if you try it. Yep, the recipes I found online
appear to be overwhelmed by sour cream and cheddar cheese which would
make it too cheesy and also wet/watery. The restaurant where I used to
get this longer exists. It was a small restaurant in Memphis where I'd
go to with some friends for lunch from time to time. The recipe I was
attempting to replicate definitely did not involve sour cream, cheddar
cheese or Ritz Crackers. ;)