New Range Hood
2021-12-03 06:54:45 UTC
I installed a thing today. I guess this is sort of cooking-related? I
found an awesome deal on eBay. This 36" wide model was about $60 after
tax, new in box, FREE 3 day shipping included. I couldn't believe it.
Shipping was spot-on.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/6TY5HcL

I gave up after punching numerous holes in walls, pulling wire, etc.
I'm fed up with trying to wire this thing, and I'm really tired now. I
guess I'll give it another go tomorrow. The temptation to hack into the
basement light switch (directly behind the stove wall) to power the
electric fan/light is very strong, but probably not up to code.
Thomas
Outlet in sight. Tap into the nearest box. It is 75 watts plust a bulb wattage if you add one.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-12-03 10:05:37 UTC
I installed a thing today. I guess this is sort of cooking-related? I
found an awesome deal on eBay. This 36" wide model was about $60 after
tax, new in box, FREE 3 day shipping included. I couldn't believe it.
Shipping was spot-on.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/6TY5HcL
I gave up after punching numerous holes in walls, pulling wire, etc.
I'm fed up with trying to wire this thing, and I'm really tired now. I
guess I'll give it another go tomorrow. The temptation to hack into the
basement light switch (directly behind the stove wall) to power the
electric fan/light is very strong, but probably not up to code.
It looks like it doesn't vent to the outside. That's not code, either,
with a gas stove.

In practical terms, however, your house is so leaky it probably doesn't matter.

I've got one just like it and it's not called a noisy lightbulb for nothing.
jmcquown
2021-12-03 21:58:44 UTC
I installed a thing today. I guess this is sort of cooking-related? I
found an awesome deal on eBay. This 36" wide model was about $60 after
tax, new in box, FREE 3 day shipping included. I couldn't believe it.
Shipping was spot-on.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/6TY5HcL
I gave up after punching numerous holes in walls, pulling wire, etc.
I'm fed up with trying to wire this thing, and I'm really tired now. I
guess I'll give it another go tomorrow. The temptation to hack into the
basement light switch (directly behind the stove wall) to power the
electric fan/light is very strong, but probably not up to code.
It looks like it doesn't vent to the outside.  That's not code, either,
with a gas stove.
I highly doubt the gas stove it's self is to code... someone told me
that some municipalities red tag an oven that didn't have a pilot or
electric ignition... mine is match lit.
Most homes that I've been in don't have an outside vented range.
In practical terms, however, your house is so leaky it probably doesn't matter.
Cindy Hamilton
Even if it vented outside, I wouldn't use it in the winter.  That's just
sucking valuable heated air outside, and thus drawing cold air inside.
The primary goal is to have a non-overhead kitchen light.
That's a silly reason to install a hood.

2021-12-04 00:59:30 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
In practical terms, however, your house is so leaky it probably doesn't matter.
Cindy Hamilton
Even if it vented outside, I wouldn't use it in the winter. That's
just sucking valuable heated air outside, and thus drawing cold air
inside. The primary goal is to have a non-overhead kitchen light.
That's a silly reason to install a hood.
Jill
I guess I could have put a florescent light under the upper cabinet, but
it's a bit late for that now. I'll use the fan that vents out of the
top hood to direct cooking steam away from the upper cabinets.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-12-04 10:46:03 UTC
[...]
Spend the ten bucks on some under-cabinet lighting that plugs into
the wall.

<https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-12-in-LED-White-Under-Cabinet-Light-YT-4101-12/313021799>

There are a few roofers and plumbers over at alt.home.repair who could probably comment.
Jeßus
2021-12-03 18:16:11 UTC
On Fri, 03 Dec 2021 01:54:45 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Michael Trew
I installed a thing today. I guess this is sort of cooking-related? I
found an awesome deal on eBay. This 36" wide model was about $60 after
tax, new in box, FREE 3 day shipping included. I couldn't believe it.
Shipping was spot-on.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/6TY5HcL
I gave up after punching numerous holes in walls, pulling wire, etc.
I'm fed up with trying to wire this thing, and I'm really tired now. I
guess I'll give it another go tomorrow. The temptation to hack into the
basement light switch (directly behind the stove wall) to power the
electric fan/light is very strong, but probably not up to code.
I know nothing (Sgt. Schultz?) about USAian codes, but the stove looks
nice. It's not electric, yay (I don't like electric stoves).
Michael Trew
2021-12-03 21:58:40 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
I installed a thing today. I guess this is sort of cooking-related? I
found an awesome deal on eBay. This 36" wide model was about $60 after
tax, new in box, FREE 3 day shipping included. I couldn't believe it.
Shipping was spot-on.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/6TY5HcL
I gave up after punching numerous holes in walls, pulling wire, etc.
I'm fed up with trying to wire this thing, and I'm really tired now. I
guess I'll give it another go tomorrow. The temptation to hack into the
basement light switch (directly behind the stove wall) to power the
electric fan/light is very strong, but probably not up to code.
I know nothing (Sgt. Schultz?) about USAian codes, but the stove looks
nice. It's not electric, yay (I don't like electric stoves).
Thanks! It's an early 1950's Chambers stove. Yeah, I hate electric
stoves. I'm OK with an electric oven, but I prefer to cook over a
flame. There is an electric oven hook up behind, but I plumbed in a gas
line before I moved in. I have seen an electric oven/gas range JennAire
brand combo, but this one is far older than that era.

I know just enough about electric, plumbing, etc codes to be dangerous.
Lol. I worked for a contractor flipping houses (that were later
inspected) for a year out of high school. It was a crappy job, but I
wouldn't take it back, I learned a lot. Basic copper/PVC plumbing,
electric, drywall, some roofing, painting, etc.
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-12-04 02:34:18 UTC
Some codes are local. When our house was built 3 years ago, venting the
hood outside was a $200 option. You'd think it would be standard.
Six month ago, I had a new electric water heater installed. City code
required a smoke detector in every bedroom and a CO detector somewhere
in mid-house. That was all done.
The guy who did the work took videos of everything he did so that he
could display his work to the housing inspectors. That was that.
A couple weeks ago, the company who did the work sent their own
inspector out to check on the previous work. Things needed to be done at
no expense to me. Apparently, the water heater should be visible from
the main panel, or a fused switch must be installed, and the drain
should be piped to the outside which wasn't done. The whole unit was in
a basin with a moisture alarm. Not good enough.
There have been three visits by the plumber at one hour each and three
visits by the inspector at fifteen minutes each...so far. I think it's
done.
Our housing inspectors don't inspect anymore. The contractor must provide
videos which they peruse at their leisure. The smoke detector provision
is no longer required, as of a month ago.
I want to be a housing inspector when I grow up.
GM
2021-12-04 02:43:32 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
[...]
Sounds like Sleepy Joe's "Build Back Better", Leo...
2021-12-04 21:58:49 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
[...]
Trump still hasn't caught Biden's approval rating, though.

Michael Trew
2021-12-04 03:07:53 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Some codes are local. When our house was built 3 years ago, venting the
hood outside was a $200 option. You'd think it would be standard.
Six month ago, I had a new electric water heater installed. City code
required a smoke detector in every bedroom and a CO detector somewhere
in mid-house. That was all done.
The guy who did the work...
Sounds annoying, I'm glad that codes are more "lax" here. Nothing needs
inspected by a "certified inspector", unless the bank requires it for
buying a house.

My house had no electric meter when I moved here. I had to put a new
meter base in, new service line from the corner of the house down, and
then a new line down into the breaker box.

The guy came out, asked me to sign the paper stating the work was done
by home owner, asked if the main breaker was off, "Yes"... OK, new meter
installed, good to go. For all he knew, I had that line from the meter
going into a pail of water... Of course, I didn't.

I put a CO alarm in the cellar, since CO sinks anyway, it makes sense to
have it near my (self installed) natural gas water heater and boiler
system. I also have a pointless one up near the bedrooms, for good
measure. It's also a smoke detector; that's the important part. If the
one in the hall feet from the bedroom doors doesn't wake people up, they
must already be dead.
dsi1
2021-12-04 03:54:02 UTC
I installed a thing today. I guess this is sort of cooking-related? I
found an awesome deal on eBay. This 36" wide model was about $60 after
tax, new in box, FREE 3 day shipping included. I couldn't believe it.
Shipping was spot-on.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/6TY5HcL
I gave up after punching numerous holes in walls, pulling wire, etc.
I'm fed up with trying to wire this thing, and I'm really tired now. I
guess I'll give it another go tomorrow. The temptation to hack into the
basement light switch (directly behind the stove wall) to power the
electric fan/light is very strong, but probably not up to code.
In installed a hood under the microwave that over the range. There was a space between the outside hollow tile and the drywall. I was tempted to vent the hood right into that space - but I didn't. My guess is that it would have worked just spiffy. OTOH, god know what kind of mess that would have created.