Vintage 1950s Recipes - Day 33: Southern Spoon Bread
Add Reply
Default User
2021-10-10 23:54:16 UTC
If you didn't see it, an explanation for what I'm doing can be found
here:

Vintage 1950s Recipes - Overview
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.food.cooking/c/VCOk6Jy4mrc/m/2YqGehvSAA

Southern Spoon Bread

1 c. sweet milk
3/4 c. cornmeal
1 t. melted butter
1/2 t. salt
4 eggs

Put milk in double boiler. When hot, pour in all the conrmeal and cook,
just to a cream. Take off fire and beat in yolks of eggs. Put in salt
and butter, fold in whites of eggs that are beaten stiff. Bake slowly
in a glass dish well greased and serve in same dish. Takes about 40
minutes to bake. Serve at once.

This is a dish I have never tried. I recall seeing recipes for similar
ones in The Joy of Cooking, but I've haven't made anything like it. I
gather the texture would be somewhere between a pudding and a bread.

Look for another recipe tomorrow!

Brian
Michael Trew
2021-10-11 01:29:08 UTC
Post by Default User
[...]
That sounds good.. would "sweetened milk" be a can of milk, or perhaps
just sugar mixed with milk?
dsi1

Sweet milk is just fresh milk. Sour milk is milk that's turned. Sweetened milk is probably milk with sugar added.
GM
2021-10-11 01:40:43 UTC
Post by Default User
[...]
You've NO idear what you are talking about...
2021-10-11 02:14:59 UTC
Post by Default User
Southern Spoon Bread
1 c. sweet milk
That sounds good.. would "sweetened milk" be a can of milk, or perhaps
just sugar mixed with milk?
Sweet milk is just fresh milk. Sour milk is milk that's turned. Sweetened
milk is probably milk with sugar added.
You've NO idear what you are talking about...
GM
Actually, sweet milk is plain old whole milk. Spoon bread is a recipe that's
well over 150 years old so they would not have had "sweetened can milk."
'Sweetened' milk was not even mentioned in this recipe.
Michael Trew
2021-10-11 02:17:03 UTC
Post by Default User
Southern Spoon Bread
1 c. sweet milk
That sounds good.. would "sweetened milk" be a can of milk, or perhaps
just sugar mixed with milk?
Sweet milk is just fresh milk. Sour milk is milk that's turned. Sweetened
milk is probably milk with sugar added.
You've NO idear what you are talking about...
GM
Actually, sweet milk is plain old whole milk. Spoon bread is a recipe that's
well over 150 years old so they would not have had "sweetened can milk."
'Sweetened' milk was not even mentioned in this recipe.
Ah, as opposed to soured milk. I guess I've never heard the term sweet
milk before.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-11 02:25:10 UTC
Actually, sweet milk is plain old whole milk. Spoon bread is a recipe that's
well over 150 years old so they would not have had "sweetened can milk."
'Sweetened' milk was not even mentioned in this recipe.
Ah, as opposed to soured milk. I guess I've never heard the term sweet
milk before.
You rarely hear the term these days. People older than your grandmother
would use the term to distinguish between milk and buttermilk and such.
To me, just saying milk would tell me they are talking about whole milk.
GM
2021-10-11 02:30:15 UTC
Post by Default User
Southern Spoon Bread
1 c. sweet milk
That sounds good.. would "sweetened milk" be a can of milk, or perhaps
just sugar mixed with milk?
Sweet milk is just fresh milk. Sour milk is milk that's turned. Sweetened
milk is probably milk with sugar added.
You've NO idear what you are talking about...
GM
Actually, sweet milk is plain old whole milk. Spoon bread is a recipe that's
well over 150 years old so they would not have had "sweetened can milk."
'Sweetened' milk was not even mentioned in this recipe.
Ah, as opposed to soured milk. I guess I've never heard the term sweet
milk before.
Gads, what a PITA milk was before modern pasteurization and refrigeration... bad milk killed lotsa peeps...
2021-10-11 02:26:59 UTC
Post by Default User
Southern Spoon Bread
1 c. sweet milk
That sounds good.. would "sweetened milk" be a can of milk, or perhaps
just sugar mixed with milk?
Sweet milk is just fresh milk. Sour milk is milk that's turned. Sweetened
milk is probably milk with sugar added.
You've NO idear what you are talking about...
GM
Actually, sweet milk is plain old whole milk. Spoon bread is a recipe that's
well over 150 years old so they would not have had "sweetened can milk."
'Sweetened' milk was not even mentioned in this recipe.
I was just joshing our Hawaiian "representative"...

Out there they have to use coconut milk, no grass on " Da Rock " for the cows to eat...

John K. said he saw that on some PBS nature special he saw on YouTube...

O:-)
2021-10-11 05:27:34 UTC
Post by Default User
1 c. sweet milk
3/4 c. cornmeal
1 t. melted butter
1/2 t. salt
4 eggs
That sounds good.. would "sweetened milk" be a can of milk, or
perhaps just sugar mixed with milk?
As mentioned elsewhere, in these recipes "sweet milk" is just regular
milk as opposed to sour milk. It shows up in a fair number of these.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/what-is-sweet-milk/

Brian
2021-10-11 05:30:27 UTC
That sounds good.. would "sweetened milk" be a can of milk, or
perhaps just sugar mixed with milk?
Addendum, I enter these recipes verbatim (other than typos) and resist
the desire to modernize or rearrange them in any way. I want it to be
as if you were reading the book as I do.

Brian
jmcquown
2021-10-11 22:55:16 UTC
Post by Default User
[...]
That would be canned sweetened condensed milk. It's not something I've
ever had in my "Southern" pantry and it's not the same as canned
evaporated milk.

Jill
2021-10-12 01:48:35 UTC
That sounds good.. would "sweetened milk" be a can of milk, or
perhaps just sugar mixed with milk?
That would be canned sweetened condensed milk. It's not something
I've ever had in my "Southern" pantry and it's not the same as canned
evaporated milk.
It's neither of those, as has been explained. It's sweet milk, meaning
fresh rather than sour milk.

Brian
cshenk

I get it sometimes. Some ice creams use it.
2021-10-17 18:57:14 UTC
Post by cshenk
Post by jmcquown
That would be canned sweetened condensed milk. It's not something
I've ever had in my "Southern" pantry and it's not the same as
canned evaporated milk.
I get it sometimes. Some ice creams use it.
It's included in most key lime pie recipes, and some fudge. It has
nothing to do with this recipe of course.

Brian
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-17 19:18:55 UTC
Post by Default User
I get it sometimes. Some ice creams use it.
It's included in most key lime pie recipes, and some fudge.
Brian
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed milk
and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad short
cut.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-17 19:41:04 UTC
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed milk
and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad short
cut.
I can't say how it works in fudge but Asians love that stuff. I don't know why. Condensed milk stuff gives me diarrhea.
Sweetened condensed milk is good is some things for certain. Millionaire
pie comes readily to mind.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-17 20:08:01 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 13:01:02 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed milk
and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad short
cut.
I can't say how it works in fudge but Asians love that stuff. I don't know why. Condensed milk stuff gives me diarrhea.
Sweetened condensed milk is good is some things for certain. Millionaire
pie comes readily to mind.
Millionaire pie sounds great. I'll have to make one. But... it will give me diarrhea. It might give everybody diarrhea - except my wife and Swedish step-mom. They might not like it because it's too sweet. Oh the irony...
I have a better idea: Don't make millionaire pie.
Dave Smith
2021-10-17 20:41:43 UTC
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed milk
and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad short
cut.
I can't say how it works in fudge but Asians love that stuff. I don't know why. Condensed milk stuff gives me diarrhea.
Sweetened condensed milk is good is some things for certain. Millionaire
pie comes readily to mind.
Then there are those squares who have had several names and I can't
remember any of them except Sex in a Pan and there seems to be another
dessert using that one. Melt butter in a pan, stir in graham wafer
crumbs, then add chocolate chips. chopped nuts, coconut and then drizzle
SCM over it and bake.
i***@webtv.net
Hello Dolly's aka seven bar cookies?
Dave Smith
2021-10-17 22:38:20 UTC
Sweetened condensed milk is good is some things for certain. Millionaire
pie comes readily to mind.
Then there are those squares who have had several names and I can't
remember any of them except Sex in a Pan and there seems to be another
dessert using that one. Melt butter in a pan, stir in graham wafer
crumbs, then add chocolate chips. chopped nuts, coconut and then drizzle
SCM over it and bake.
Hello Dolly's aka seven bar cookies?
Yes, those are among the names. I remember my wife's cousin was the one
who called it sex in a pan.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-17 22:55:04 UTC
Hello Dolly's aka seven bar cookies?
Yes, those are among the names. I remember my wife's cousin was the one
who called it sex in a pan.
They are dang good! And if I remember correctly, they also have butterscotch
morsels in the mix. All of this is calorie-free, of course.
Dave Smith
2021-10-17 23:12:47 UTC
ello Dolly's aka seven bar cookies?
Yes, those are among the names. I remember my wife's cousin was the
one who called it sex in a pan.
They are dang good! And if I remember correctly, they also have
butterscotch morsels in the mix. All of this is calorie-free, of
course.
I think that you can add just about whatever you want. I should look at
a nut free version . And...yes they are calorie free.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-17 22:36:41 UTC
Sweetened condensed milk is good is some things for certain. Millionaire
pie comes readily to mind.
Millionaire pie sounds great. I'll have to make one. But... it will give me diarrhea.
It might give everybody diarrhea - except my wife and Swedish step-mom. They
might not like it because it's too sweet. Oh the irony...
If sweetened condensed milk gives you diarrhea, you better stay away then.
BUT it is a delicious, super rich, pie.
Dave Smith
2021-10-17 19:58:12 UTC
Post by Default User
I get it sometimes. Some ice creams use it.
It's included in most key lime pie recipes, and some fudge.
Brian
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed milk
and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad short
cut.
I once used it in a pumpkin pie. I was going to use evaporated mil but
didn't have any one hand. I did have several cans of SCM that had been
there a long time. I had to adjust the sugar. It was actually pretty good.
Dave Smith
2021-10-17 20:04:34 UTC
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed
milk and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad
short cut.
I can't say how it works in fudge but Asians love that stuff. I don't
know why. Condensed milk stuff gives me diarrhea.
I noticed that the first time I ordered coffee in a Vietnamese
restaurant. They brought a glass cup with and a little drip coffee
filter on top and a thick layer of SCM in the bottom. It took forever
and a day for the coffee to drip through. Holy cow that stuff was
strong.... and sweet!!! I don't often have sweet beverages. I have
been drinking tea and coffee black for close to 50 years. I can usually
handle a little sugar or a little dairy, but that stuff was cloyingly
sweet.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-17 20:10:20 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 16:04:34 -0400, Dave Smith
Post by Dave Smith
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed
milk and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad
short cut.
I can't say how it works in fudge but Asians love that stuff. I don't
know why. Condensed milk stuff gives me diarrhea.
I noticed that the first time I ordered coffee in a Vietnamese
restaurant. They brought a glass cup with and a little drip coffee
filter on top and a thick layer of SCM in the bottom. It took forever
and a day for the coffee to drip through. Holy cow that stuff was
strong.... and sweet!!! I don't often have sweet beverages. I have
been drinking tea
Did you say you don't drink sweet beverages, but you have been
drinking tea???
Michael Trew
2021-10-17 23:31:34 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed
milk and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad
short cut.
I can't say how it works in fudge but Asians love that stuff. I don't
know why. Condensed milk stuff gives me diarrhea.
I noticed that the first time I ordered coffee in a Vietnamese
restaurant. They brought a glass cup with and a little drip coffee
filter on top and a thick layer of SCM in the bottom. It took forever
and a day for the coffee to drip through. Holy cow that stuff was
strong.... and sweet!!! I don't often have sweet beverages. I have
been drinking tea
Did you say you don't drink sweet beverages, but you have been
drinking tea???
Perhaps don't put sugar in tea? I only drink iced and hot tea without
anything in it, other than hot water and tea leaves.
Dave Smith
2021-10-17 23:41:07 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.77 Beta
Post by Dave Smith
I noticed that the first time I ordered coffee in a Vietnamese
restaurant.  They brought a glass cup with and a little drip coffee
filter on top and a thick layer of SCM in the bottom. It took forever
and a day for the coffee to drip through.  Holy cow that stuff was
strong.... and sweet!!!  I don't often have sweet beverages.  I have
been drinking tea
Did you say you don't drink sweet beverages, but you have been
drinking tea???
Perhaps don't put sugar in tea?  I only drink iced and hot tea without
anything in it, other than hot water and tea leaves.
The idiot seems to have intentionally deleted the rest of the sentence
where I said I had been drinking it black for close to 50 years. I don't
drink a lot of sweet beverages. I rarely have pop and I don't take sugar
in coffee or tea. He probably knows that. He posts enough to have
documented the fact that he is a fucking idiot.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
Well, after Dave's fierce lashing i guess I'll sit down and have meself a good cry.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
Excuse me, but if that isn't rude sarcasm, then what is?
dsi1
Can any country win a protracted war against a culture that makes coffee in such a manner? Of course not!
dsi1
2021-10-17 21:32:21 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 12:36:16 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
Post by Default User
I get it sometimes. Some ice creams use it.
It's included in most key lime pie recipes, and some fudge.
Brian
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed milk
and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad short
cut.
I can't say how it works in fudge but Asians love that stuff.
All of them? From Turkmenistan to Vladivostok?
Americans don't consider those guys to be Asian, probably because their cultures didn't originate from China. In this case, culture beats out geography. Then you have the Filipinos.

Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-17 21:58:14 UTC
Post by Default User
I get it sometimes. Some ice creams use it.
It's included in most key lime pie recipes, and some fudge.
Brian
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed milk
and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad short
cut.
I can't say how it works in fudge but Asians love that stuff.
All of them? From Turkmenistan to Vladivostok?
Americans don't consider those guys to be Asian, probably because their cultures didn't originate from China. In this case, culture beats out geography. Then you have the Filipinos.
http://youtu.be/rmeC00UIDvI
"Turkmenistan is a landlocked country in Central Asia."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkmenistan

The people from Turkmenistan have a culture too, you know. An Asian
culture, no less. Just because some Asians don't have the "eyes",
doesn't mean they're not Asians.
dsi1
That's all irrelevant. Obviously, they live in Asia but Americans don't consider them to be Asian. They are considered Central Asians i.e., Murky Asians. Don't hassle me about it because I don't have anything to do with the meaning of words. If I was in the UK I'd refer to them as "Asian." I won't be using non-standard meanings for words on rfc - it ain't that kind of group.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-18 01:58:26 UTC
Post by Default User
[...]
Americans once thought Trump would be a good president.

Michael Trew
2021-10-17 23:29:46 UTC
Post by Default User
I get it sometimes. Some ice creams use it.
It's included in most key lime pie recipes, and some fudge.
Brian
I've had it in fudge, but it was bad fudge. Sweetened condensed milk
and fudge together is awful, in _my_ opinion and used as a bad short
cut.
I tried it once. It tastes the same as the (not very good) expensive
gift shop fudge.