REC: French Silk Chocolate Pie
Add Reply
US Janet
2022-01-03 02:14:22 UTC
French Silk Chocolate Pie

1/4 pound butter
1/2 cup sugar
Cream together 5 minutes

Add:
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 square of melted chocolate
Beat together 5 minutes

Add:
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat together 5 minutes

Pour into:
8 inch baked pie shell

Chill:
8 hours

Garnish with:
Whipped cream
Chopped walnuts (optional, only if you like, not necessary)

Do not try this without an electric beater.

Eloise McGrath
Probably 1964

Janet US
Bruce
2022-01-03 03:36:34 UTC
Post by US Janet
French Silk Chocolate Pie
1/4 pound butter
1/2 cup sugar
Cream together 5 minutes
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Thomas
Weight of a square of choco?
Bruce
Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Lucretia Borgia
2022-01-03 16:55:06 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by US Janet
French Silk Chocolate Pie
1/4 pound butter
1/2 cup sugar
Cream together 5 minutes
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 square of melted chocolate
Beat together 5 minutes
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat together 5 minutes
8 inch baked pie shell
8 hours
Whipped cream
Chopped walnuts (optional, only if you like, not necessary)
Do not try this without an electric beater.
Eloise McGrath
Probably 1964
Janet US
Weight of a square of choco?
one ounce is weight of one square of chocolate.
Sorry. Recipe is an old one.
Janet US
Made a copy of this, next event of some sort will do it, looks
interesting.
US Janet
2022-01-03 17:23:53 UTC
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 12:55:06 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by Thomas
Post by US Janet
[...]
It is lucious in the mouth :)
Janet US
Lucretia Borgia
Great my younger son-in-law loves chocalatty/sweet things :)
Bruce
Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
US Janet
2022-01-04 00:28:47 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by Thomas
Post by US Janet
[...]
that is my experience with male in-laws as well :)
I was a brand-new cook when I was given this recipe. I don't remember
if mother-in-law gave crib notes or not.
Janet US
Bruce
Bruce 9
Arnie
This is my frogger.
bruce bowser
1/8th of a pound up to tons and tons. What weight were you expecting?
Bruce
Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Bruce 1
Michael Trew
Thanks! That looks delicious, I'll have to try that.
Bruce
Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
songbird
2022-01-03 22:33:46 UTC
Post by US Janet
French Silk Chocolate Pie
1/4 pound butter
1/2 cup sugar
Cream together 5 minutes
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 square of melted chocolate
Beat together 5 minutes
1oz of chocolate for an entire pie?

sounds pretty mild chocolate flavor if that is all that
is used.
songbird
Bruce
This is not my frogger.
US Janet
People weren't into over-indulgence back then as they are today.
bruce bowser
If they were, they kept it under wraps.
Bruce 9
Bruce 9
jmcquown
2022-01-06 22:42:29 UTC
Post by US Janet
French Silk Chocolate Pie
1/4 pound butter
1/2 cup sugar
Cream together 5 minutes
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 square of melted chocolate
Beat together 5 minutes
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat together 5 minutes
8 inch baked pie shell
8 hours
Whipped cream
Chopped walnuts (optional, only if you like, not necessary)
Do not try this without an electric beater.
Eloise McGrath
Probably 1964
Janet US
Even though I'm not much of a dessert person I've saved this recipe. :)

2022-01-06 23:03:14 UTC
Post by US Janet
French Silk Chocolate Pie
1/4 pound butter
1/2 cup sugar
Cream together 5 minutes
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 square of melted chocolate
Beat together 5 minutes
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Beat together 5 minutes
8 inch baked pie shell
8 hours
Whipped cream
Chopped walnuts (optional, only if you like, not necessary)
Do not try this without an electric beater.
Eloise McGrath
Probably 1964
That's American, not French. The French have the decency not to
use whole eggs in it, but only yolks. Slob Americans regularly use
whole egg in recipes, when they should be using only the yolks.
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/french-silk-pie
Post by US Janet
Janet US
2022-01-07 02:15:02 UTC
Post by US Janet
[...]
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
Slob Americans? What's wrong with the egg white? I see it as wasteful
not to use the whole thing. I'd wouldn't use a recipe that only called
for a yolk.
Ed Pawlowski
2022-01-07 02:44:07 UTC
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
Slob Americans?  What's wrong with the egg white?  I see it as wasteful
not to use the whole thing.  I'd wouldn't use a recipe that only called
for a yolk.
Why not? Some things just are not as good with whole eggs. OTOH,
plenty or ways to use the whites. Industrial uses buy either one as
needed.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/dessert-recipes-with-egg-whites-gallery
Lucretia Borgia
2022-01-07 12:11:54 UTC
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
Slob Americans?  What's wrong with the egg white?  I see it as wasteful
not to use the whole thing.  I'd wouldn't use a recipe that only called
for a yolk.
Why not? Some things just are not as good with whole eggs. OTOH,
plenty or ways to use the whites. Industrial uses buy either one as
needed.
https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/dessert-recipes-with-egg-whites-gallery
I have always kept the whites, they freeze well, and when I know I
will see my middle grandson, I make meringues for him. I simply
freeze them in little pots with three egg whites, then when solid
place in plastic freezer bag. 3 Egg whites = 1 dozen or thereabouts,
meringues.
US Janet
2022-01-07 18:19:15 UTC
On Fri, 07 Jan 2022 08:11:54 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
Slob Americans?  What's wrong with the egg white?  I see it as wasteful
not to use the whole thing.  I'd wouldn't use a recipe that only called
for a yolk.
Why not? Some things just are not as good with whole eggs. OTOH,
plenty or ways to use the whites. Industrial uses buy either one as
needed.
https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/dessert-recipes-with-egg-whites-gallery
I have always kept the whites, they freeze well, and when I know I
will see my middle grandson, I make meringues for him. I simply
freeze them in little pots with three egg whites, then when solid
place in plastic freezer bag. 3 Egg whites = 1 dozen or thereabouts,
meringues.
My sister used to make a sort of pie that I much favored. The pie
shell was the meriingue and the filling was whippped cream (I think)
mixed with fruit (I think). I'll see if I can find it. It was always
the dessert for Easter at her dinner.
Janet US
Dave Smith
2022-01-07 19:41:33 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by US Janet
[...]
That would be Pavlova -
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/french/meringues
I use her meringue recipe for both pavlova and individual meringues.
Can you go into more detail? I don't get it
Wow! On the images button, Pavlova looks extremely delicious ! !
Graham
For Pavlovas, I add a tbsp of cornstarch and a tsp of vinegar.
Dave Smith
Lucretia Borgia
2022-01-08 00:03:01 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by US Janet
[...]
Actually, very interesting. I saw a Delia programme in the UK dealing
with meringues and she stated that she had experimented with them and
found there was no value in adding anything, other than sugar, to the
white mix. One thing she does with meringues/pavlovas etc. is she
prefers to make them the day before and when you turn off the oven,
you leave them in there overnight without opening the door. The other
thing was of course, no overbeating the whites, beat until the bowl
can be turned upside down without anything falling out :) I have
followed her routine and receive many compliments on either Pavlova or
meringues.
Michael Trew
That's fine, I just can't understand throwing them out.
Gary
2022-01-08 11:11:43 UTC
That's fine, I just can't understand throwing them out.
Egg whites are nutritious (all the amino acids).
At the very least save them and stir into a pot of simmering soup to
make a "feather soup."
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 04:11:14 UTC
That's fine, I just can't understand throwing them out.
Egg whites are nutritious (all the amino acids).
At the very least save them and stir into a pot of simmering soup to
make a "feather soup."
Uhm, Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
2022-01-07 17:38:11 UTC
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
Slob Americans? What's wrong with the egg white? I see it as wasteful
not to use the whole thing. I'd wouldn't use a recipe that only called
for a yolk.
And that speaks to you not being a very good cook.
He's more interested in pennies.
2022-01-07 18:10:40 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 10:01:45 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
Post by Dave Smith
On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 08:25:25 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
Slob Americans? What's wrong with the egg white? I see it as wasteful
not to use the whole thing. I'd wouldn't use a recipe that only called
for a yolk.
And that speaks to you not being a very good cook.
He's more interested in pennies.
I am both frugal (you've called me cheap innumerable times)
and hate wasting food, but using whole eggs where only yolks
should be used is lousy cooking. I sometimes do toss a white
or a few, but I often cook them and eat them with S&P, or
tamari and cayenne, even though I don't enjoy that much.
There aren't many dishes where you can't add some egg white. At the
very least, you can add it to your vegetables of that day.
Fried egg white's a bit like fried silken tofu, but that may not be a
big recommendation in RFC.
US Janet
2022-01-07 22:18:33 UTC
On Fri, 07 Jan 2022 14:48:34 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
Slob Americans? What's wrong with the egg white? I see it as wasteful
not to use the whole thing. I'd wouldn't use a recipe that only called
for a yolk.
And that speaks to you not being a very good cook.
--Bryan
I don't care if people on Usenet think that I'm not a good cook; I like
my own food, and that is what counts. I care a lot more about not
wasting good food. I also care about what other people *who are eating
my food* think about the food that I cook.
I would think the essential point would be that you do cook.
Janet US
Bryan Simmons
2022-01-08 00:33:31 UTC
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
Slob Americans? What's wrong with the egg white? I see it as wasteful
not to use the whole thing. I'd wouldn't use a recipe that only called
for a yolk.
And that speaks to you not being a very good cook.
--Bryan
I don't care if people on Usenet think that I'm not a good cook; I like
my own food, and that is what counts. I care a lot more about not
wasting good food. I also care about what other people *who are eating
my food* think about the food that I cook.
I would think the essential point would be that you do cook.
Avoiding any dish that requires egg yolks is very limiting.
Using who egg in dishes that should have only egg yolk is
terrible. Wasting egg whites is unfortunate, but if you are
a good cook/baker, it's probably going to happen
occasionally unless you, or a member of your household
happens to like egg whites--probably because some old
cardiologist forbade them eating yolks somewhere in the
past.

Many dishes use both parts of the egg, but the yolk and
white are separated and recombined later. Egg white is
just egg white, but egg yolk is golden in more than color.
I've often thought that if I had a restaurant (something
that would never happen, as I'm not a businessman, and
not a good enough cook), that I would use the extra egg
whites to make meringue *cookies* for diners to take
home for free on a when-we-had-them basis. If one has
a dog, then egg whites should never be wasted. Raw or
cooked, they're great for feeding to a dog, but shouldn't
be fed to a cat often because they don't contain taurine.
Post by US Janet
Janet US
--Bryan
Mike Duffy
2022-01-08 02:19:38 UTC
I've often thought that if I had a restaurant
(something that would never happen, as I'm not a businessman,
That's too bad. I too am a tad too lazy to pursue it, but I have a
capital idea I've floated here in the past.

Perhaps we could 'flesh out' the idea and give it to John as a way for
him to secure a financially certain future.

First, someone has to get a gig at Tim Horton's and figure out how they
stuff custard into their donuts without leaving a hole. (i.e. not a
'torus' loop, but the hole left by the injector as is the case for the
Boston Creme's.) This would be a good Job for John because he used to be
in the biz and can prolly still speak the lingo without drawing any
suspicion by saying anything weird or non-sequiter. (Like saying 'non-
sequiter', for example.)

Then, you make a stuffed bun sort of like a Boston Creme, but the tea-
biscuit mix is loaded with crumbled bacon, and the creme is liquid egg
yolk. Then instead of chocolate icing, use melted cheese.

And while typing the above, I realized that you could start with frozen
egg yolks, then enclose them with tiny bowl-shaped bacon-teabiscuit forms
glued together with a strip of pretzel dough before dumping them into
boiling oil.
Bryan Simmons
2022-01-08 09:00:29 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Bryan Simmons
I've often thought that if I had a restaurant
(something that would never happen, as I'm not a businessman,
That's too bad. I too am a tad too lazy to pursue it, but I have a
capital idea I've floated here in the past.
Perhaps we could 'flesh out' the idea and give it to John as a way for
him to secure a financially certain future.
There actually is a job out there that he could likely get, assuming
he wouldn't reveal what he *really* does in his spare time.
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/fbh/d/baker-position-available/7428620921.html
Post by Mike Duffy
First, someone has to get a gig at Tim Horton's and figure out how they
stuff custard into their donuts without leaving a hole. (i.e. not a
'torus' loop, but the hole left by the injector as is the case for the
Boston Creme's.) This would be a good Job for John because he used to be
in the biz and can prolly still speak the lingo without drawing any
suspicion by saying anything weird or non-sequiter. (Like saying 'non-
sequiter', for example.)
Interviewer: Um, so what do you like to do in your spare time?

John: I inject my penis with this stuff that keeps it hard for
hours, and I jerk off to PornHub videos where cute young White
women get anally double penetrated by big, Black cocks, and I
also play the djembe.

Interviewer: We'll call you if we need you.

2022-01-09 17:57:24 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 09:19:33 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Bryan Simmons
[...]
Sounds completely gross out!
2022-01-08 22:01:14 UTC
Post by US Janet
On Fri, 07 Jan 2022 14:48:34 -0500, Michael Trew
I don't care if people on Usenet think that I'm not a good cook; I like
my own food, and that is what counts. I care a lot more about not
wasting good food. I also care about what other people *who are eating
my food* think about the food that I cook.
I would think the essential point would be that you do cook.
Janet US
I'll second that, plus never bother to look at what Sheldon thinks
about anything!!
Haha, thanks.
Dave Smith
2022-01-08 23:14:10 UTC
On Fri, 07 Jan 2022 15:18:33 -0700, US
Post by US Janet
On Fri, 07 Jan 2022 14:48:34 -0500, Michael Trew
I don't care if people on Usenet think that I'm not a good
cook; I like
my own food, and that is what counts.  I care a lot more about not
wasting good food.  I also care about what other people *who
are eating
my food* think about the food that I cook.
I would think the essential point would be that you do cook.
Janet US
I'll second that, plus never bother to look at what Sheldon thinks
about anything!!
Haha, thanks.
Don't entirely blot out the horny sailor. He can give good advice
if you decide to fuck your mother.

Or any other female, long as she has giant titties.
Lucretia Borgia
That's a reasonable summation :)
Dave Smith
2022-01-08 22:09:11 UTC
Post by US Janet
I would think the essential point would be that you do cook.
Janet US
I'll second that, plus never bother to look at what Sheldon thinks
about anything!!
Be fair. He occasionally includes a link, so there is some credibility
to those posts.