Random food related post
2021-11-30 16:20:14 UTC
I just now opened a 2oz can of anchovies packed in olive oil.
The last time (and only other time) I tried them was in 1973 when I
ordered a pizza (and DON'T hold the anchovies). The waitress tried to
talk me out of that but I insisted. She was right though and it ruined
my pizza.
Now, after all these years, I just tried these things again.
Very tasty, imo. Extremely salty and fishy but I'm loving the taste.
I'll finish this can plain and find another use for the remaining 6-7
cans that I was gifted.
They're good on a salad with a red-wine vinaigrette.

2021-11-30 16:41:06 UTC
I just now opened a 2oz can of anchovies packed in olive oil.
The last time (and only other time) I tried them was in 1973 when I
ordered a pizza (and DON'T hold the anchovies). The waitress tried to
talk me out of that but I insisted. She was right though and it ruined
my pizza.
Now, after all these years, I just tried these things again.
Very tasty, imo. Extremely salty and fishy but I'm loving the taste.
I'll finish this can plain and find another use for the remaining 6-7
cans that I was gifted.
You might enjoy Kalles Kaviar, a popular Swedish topping for sandwiches, and flatbread. It's similar in taste to anchovies except it's not as intensely fishy or salty. It might be hard to get in your town, but you probably could get it at an Ikea store.

Janet
2021-11-30 18:24:21 UTC
I just now opened a 2oz can of anchovies packed in olive oil.
The last time (and only other time) I tried them was in 1973 when I
ordered a pizza (and DON'T hold the anchovies). The waitress tried to
talk me out of that but I insisted. She was right though and it ruined
my pizza.
Now, after all these years, I just tried these things again.
Very tasty, imo. Extremely salty and fishy but I'm loving the taste.
If you want them a bit less salty/fishy, soak them in milk before
using.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I'll finish this can plain and find another use for the remaining 6-7
cans that I was gifted.
They're good on a salad with a red-wine vinaigrette.
I like this I do the potatoes either in cubes or slices, not
julienned.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/5707-janssons-temptation

Janet UK
Bruce
2021-11-30 19:08:24 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I just now opened a 2oz can of anchovies packed in olive oil.
The last time (and only other time) I tried them was in 1973 when I
ordered a pizza (and DON'T hold the anchovies). The waitress tried to
talk me out of that but I insisted. She was right though and it ruined
my pizza.
Now, after all these years, I just tried these things again.
Very tasty, imo. Extremely salty and fishy but I'm loving the taste.
If you want them a bit less salty/fishy, soak them in milk before
using.
Lol, that's so dumb. If you don't like them, just don't eat them.
Post by Janet
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I'll finish this can plain and find another use for the remaining 6-7
cans that I was gifted.
They're good on a salad with a red-wine vinaigrette.
I like this I do the potatoes either in cubes or slices, not
julienned.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/5707-janssons-temptation
And don't forget: British anchovies are the best in the whole universe
and beyond!
Michael Trew
2021-12-01 05:06:00 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I'll finish this can plain and find another use for the remaining 6-7
cans that I was gifted.
They're good on a salad with a red-wine vinaigrette.
I like this I do the potatoes either in cubes or slices, not
julienned.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/5707-janssons-temptation
And don't forget: British anchovies are the best in the whole universe
and beyond!
Now, now, this is Janet UK's *ONE* cooking related post for the day; no
sense in trolling it, it's very special and rare.

On a less sarcastic note, I think I might try Janet's soaking in milk
trick on my next can of anchovies. My daughter wasn't a fan of the very
salty/fishy taste the last time that I used them.
Bruce
2021-12-01 05:28:46 UTC
On Wed, 01 Dec 2021 00:06:00 -0500, Michael Trew
And don't forget: British anchovies are the best in the whole universe
and beyond!
Now, now, this is Janet UK's *ONE* cooking related post for the day; no
sense in trolling it, it's very special and rare.
On a less sarcastic note, I think I might try Janet's soaking in milk
trick on my next can of anchovies. My daughter wasn't a fan of the very
salty/fishy taste the last time that I used them.
It's too strong tasting for most children. I'd suggest fish with a
more mellow flavour.
Michael Trew
She seemed to like fried cod. I ought to make salmon for her.
Michael Trew
2021-12-03 05:22:49 UTC
On Thu, 02 Dec 2021 00:15:36 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Michael Trew
I think I might try Janet's soaking in milk
trick on my next can of anchovies. My daughter wasn't a fan of the very
salty/fishy taste the last time that I used them.
It's too strong tasting for most children. I'd suggest fish with a
more mellow flavour.
She seemed to like fried cod. I ought to make salmon for her.
No logic... cod and salmon don't taste anything alike.
The correlation that I made was that cod is a mild fish. Also, salmon
is more mild than anchovy taste.
US Janet
2021-12-02 05:48:38 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I'll finish this can plain and find another use for the remaining 6-7
cans that I was gifted.
They're good on a salad with a red-wine vinaigrette.
I like this I do the potatoes either in cubes or slices, not
julienned.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/5707-janssons-temptation
And don't forget: British anchovies are the best in the whole universe
and beyond!
Now, now, this is Janet UK's *ONE* cooking related post for the day; no
sense in trolling it, it's very special and rare.
On a less sarcastic note, I think I might try Janet's soaking in milk
trick on my next can of anchovies. My daughter wasn't a fan of the very
salty/fishy taste the last time that I used them.
No need for your first paragraph. :[
Janet US
Bruce
2021-12-02 06:05:48 UTC
On Wed, 01 Dec 2021 00:06:00 -0500, Michael Trew
And don't forget: British anchovies are the best in the whole universe
and beyond!
Now, now, this is Janet UK's *ONE* cooking related post for the day; no
sense in trolling it, it's very special and rare.
On a less sarcastic note, I think I might try Janet's soaking in milk
trick on my next can of anchovies. My daughter wasn't a fan of the very
salty/fishy taste the last time that I used them.
No need for your first paragraph. :[
Why do you defend that shrew? You never speak up when she's being a
nasty bitch.

RFC: For all your double standards
US Janet
2021-12-02 17:38:20 UTC
On Wed, 01 Dec 2021 00:06:00 -0500, Michael Trew
And don't forget: British anchovies are the best in the whole universe
and beyond!
Now, now, this is Janet UK's *ONE* cooking related post for the day; no
sense in trolling it, it's very special and rare.
On a less sarcastic note, I think I might try Janet's soaking in milk
trick on my next can of anchovies. My daughter wasn't a fan of the very
salty/fishy taste the last time that I used them.
No need for your first paragraph. :[
Why do you defend that shrew? You never speak up when she's being a
nasty bitch.
RFC: For all your double standards
I wasn't defending anyone. It's simply that the poster in question
had posted a legitimate cooking post. The comment from Michael would
have started another round of bickering. That's what I was
commenting on.
Janet US
Michael Trew
2021-12-02 06:24:34 UTC
On Wed, 01 Dec 2021 00:06:00 -0500, Michael Trew
And don't forget: British anchovies are the best in the whole universe
and beyond!
Now, now, this is Janet UK's *ONE* cooking related post for the day; no
sense in trolling it, it's very special and rare.
On a less sarcastic note, I think I might try Janet's soaking in milk
trick on my next can of anchovies. My daughter wasn't a fan of the very
salty/fishy taste the last time that I used them.
No need for your first paragraph. :[
Janet US
I'd like to agree with you, but Janet UK could really stand to stop
picking on me so often. I'll admit, it's childish of me to continue to
poke back.
Bruce
2021-12-02 06:31:15