Cleaning out the freezer
2022-01-02 21:51:45 UTC
Cleaning out the refrigerator is a job. Cleaning out the freezer
is a chore. It's cold on our front porch, and we're off today.
Too much stuff in there. I'm reformed. Buy as needed.

2022-01-02 22:03:01 UTC
Cleaning out the refrigerator is a job. Cleaning out the freezer
is a chore. It's cold on our front porch, and we're off today.
Too much stuff in there. I'm reformed. Buy as needed.
--Bryan
Reminds me of when I drove that 1985 Suburban Beastie and we were on a week long Weekend Of July 4th camping and kayaking trip and after camping and boating together for almost a week, we decided to pull EVERYTHING out da back and then everyone carefully replaced their stuff so they know where it is. And there was an instant calming effect amongst us all! :-)

2022-01-02 23:33:17 UTC
Cleaning out the refrigerator is a job. Cleaning out the freezer> is a
chore. It's cold on our front porch, and we're off today.> Too much
stuff in there. I'm reformed. Buy as needed.>> --Bryan
Reminds me of when I drove that 1985 Suburban Beastie and we were on a
week long Weekend Of July 4th camping and kayaking trip and after
camping and boating together for almost a week, we decided to pull
EVERYTHING out da back and then everyone carefully replaced their stuff
so they know where it is. And there was an instant calming effect
amongst us all! :-)
John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Did yall play with each others?
Bruce
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Sqwertz
2022-01-05 09:49:45 UTC
Cleaning out the refrigerator is a job. Cleaning out the freezer
is a chore. It's cold on our front porch, and we're off today.
Too much stuff in there. I'm reformed. Buy as needed.
--Bryan
Reminds me of when I drove that 1985 Suburban Beastie and we were
on a week long Weekend Of July 4th camping and kayaking trip and
after camping and boating together for almost a week, we decided
to pull EVERYTHING out da back and then everyone carefully
replaced their stuff so they know where it is. And there was an
instant calming effect amongst us all! :-)
That doesn't sound related at all. You need ot get your head out of
your past and look to see what the future has in store for you.

-sw
Bruce 6
2022-01-05 10:00:23 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by John Kuthe
Cleaning out the refrigerator is a job. Cleaning out the freezer
is a chore. It's cold on our front porch, and we're off today.
Too much stuff in there. I'm reformed. Buy as needed.
--Bryan
Reminds me of when I drove that 1985 Suburban Beastie and we were
on a week long Weekend Of July 4th camping and kayaking trip and
after camping and boating together for almost a week, we decided
to pull EVERYTHING out da back and then everyone carefully
replaced their stuff so they know where it is. And there was an
instant calming effect amongst us all! :-)
That doesn't sound related at all. You need ot get your head out of
your past and look to see what the future has in store for you.
Jebus isn't the smartest knife in the drawer, but we already knew
that.
Bruce 6
Oops, neither am I.
Bruce 6
Bruce 6
Janet
2022-01-05 12:43:40 UTC
In article <***@sqwertz.com>, ***@gmail.invalid
says...
Post by Sqwertz
You need ot get your head out of
your past
John lives in his very trivial past because there's even less in his
life today and he has no future.

Janet UK
Michael Trew
2022-01-03 01:03:21 UTC
Cleaning out the refrigerator is a job. Cleaning out the freezer
is a chore. It's cold on our front porch, and we're off today.
Too much stuff in there. I'm reformed. Buy as needed.
--Bryan
Mine has a couple inches of frost on the coils. I really need to do
that when we get a good freeze in a day or two here.
Bruce
Ghe
Thomas
2022-01-03 09:09:40 UTC
Cleaning out the refrigerator is a job. Cleaning out the freezer
is a chore. It's cold on our front porch, and we're off today.
Too much stuff in there. I'm reformed. Buy as needed.
--Bryan
Mine has a couple inches of frost on the coils. I really need to do
that when we get a good freeze in a day or two here.
I have a lot of ice. 3 inches all around. Full suze stand up free from fire co.
How do I defrost? Unplug and thaw in place on basement floor? It will be a mess for sure.
Way to heavy to move. Moving the food is the easy part.
Bruce
Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-03 10:46:30 UTC
Post by Thomas
Cleaning out the refrigerator is a job. Cleaning out the freezer
is a chore. It's cold on our front porch, and we're off today.
Too much stuff in there. I'm reformed. Buy as needed.
--Bryan
Mine has a couple inches of frost on the coils. I really need to do
that when we get a good freeze in a day or two here.
I have a lot of ice. 3 inches all around. Full suze stand up free from fire co.
How do I defrost? Unplug and thaw in place on basement floor? It will be a mess for sure.
Way to heavy to move. Moving the food is the easy part.
Dear God, have you never defrosted a freezer?

<https://www.whirlpool.com/blog/kitchen/how-to-defrost-a-freezer.html>

Mike Duffy
2022-01-03 13:30:08 UTC
I have a lot of ice. 3 inches all around. Full size stand up
free from fire co.
What do you mean, "free from fire"?
How do I defrost? Unplug and thaw in place on basement floor?
True. Light a few candles to speed it up, except if answer above is not
what I'm guessing. Do not be tempted to use steel on the aluminum,
especially if you have lit a candle and it is a newish fridge that uses
propane / butane coolant. I have also used a hair dryer, but make sure it
is properly grounded, because the fridge is likely.
It will be a mess for sure.
True. Perhaps you can channel the water with a strategic funnel / hose
pail. You will need to wait for a drip to develop first.
Michael Trew
2022-01-03 17:43:18 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
I have a lot of ice. 3 inches all around. Full size stand up
free from fire co.
What do you mean, "free from fire"?
He said "free from fire co... I guess the fire company gave him a freezer?
Post by Mike Duffy
How do I defrost? Unplug and thaw in place on basement floor?
True. Light a few candles to speed it up, except if answer above is not
what I'm guessing. Do not be tempted to use steel on the aluminum
Any manual scraping is begging for disaster. That's how you pop a freon
line and ruin the appliance. If I'm in a hurry, I put two large kettles
of water on to boil, and put them inside, shut the door for a while.
Dave Smith
2022-01-03 18:16:20 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
True. Light a few candles to speed it up, except if answer above is not
what I'm guessing. Do not be tempted to use steel on the aluminum
Any manual scraping is begging for disaster.  That's how you pop a freon
line and ruin the appliance.  If I'm in a hurry, I put two large kettles
of water on to boil, and put them inside, shut the door for a while.
When it is cold enough outside to clean out my chest freezer I load
everything into laundry baskets and stick them in my car. I unplug the
freezer and prop the top open. Within an hour all the frost buildup has
melted or fallen off. I pick up the chunks and wipe up the water with
a sponge. Put food back in and start it up.
Of course I purge it of the outdated foods.
Bruce
2022-01-04 19:10:01 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
True. Light a few candles to speed it up, except if answer above is not
what I'm guessing. Do not be tempted to use steel on the aluminum
Any manual scraping is begging for disaster. That's how you pop a
freon line and ruin the appliance. If I'm in a hurry, I put two large
kettles of water on to boil, and put them inside, shut the door for a
while.
When it is cold enough outside to clean out my chest freezer I load
everything into laundry baskets and stick them in my car. I unplug the
freezer and prop the top open. Within an hour all the frost buildup has
melted or fallen off. I pick up the chunks and wipe up the water with a
sponge. Put food back in and start it up.
Of course I purge it of the outdated foods.
Yes, same system here. If I drove my car that day, it's too warm, so I
put it into a car that's been sitting, or sometimes I just put the
basket of food on the ground with a blanket over it. No animal has ever
messed with it when it's frozen solid, but I wouldn't advise leaving it
unattended over night.
Bruce 1
Sheldon Martin
2022-01-03 18:35:01 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
I have a lot of ice. 3 inches all around. Full size stand up
free from fire co.
What do you mean, "free from fire"?
How do I defrost? Unplug and thaw in place on basement floor?
True. Light a few candles to speed it up, except if answer above is not
what I'm guessing. Do not be tempted to use steel on the aluminum,
especially if you have lit a candle and it is a newish fridge that uses
propane / butane coolant. I have also used a hair dryer, but make sure it
is properly grounded, because the fridge is likely.
It will be a mess for sure.
True. Perhaps you can channel the water with a strategic funnel / hose
pail. You will need to wait for a drip to develop first.
A concrete basement floor won't become damaged from a little water.
Easiest/quickest way to thaw the freezer ice is to unplug it and use a
heat gun, I use a heat gun to melt the frozen condensate water that
can accumuate in my tractor's hydraulics... makes me wish I had a
heated shed, but heating a large shed gets expensive, and very
expensive to build... a heat gun is very inexpensive, about $20, just
need to be careful as they are a lot hotter than a hair dryer.
However I must advise that you get a frost free freezer, will cost a
lot less to operate, probably pay for itself in a year or so from
lower electric bills, iced freezer coils require more energy to
maintain temperature and can thaw food.
Hank Rogers
2022-01-03 23:03:05 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
[...]
Nonsense Popeye. Yoose are a tool and die maker, fer chirst sake.

Yoose should know that the proper heating tool is an oxy-acetylene
torch with a large rosebud tip. Use 10 psi acetylene, and adjust
oxygen to produce a slightly carburizing flame.
Bruce
Michael Trew
2022-01-04 19:11:52 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
[...]
True, an appliance is less efficient with frost build up.

That being said, a frost-free freezer will NOT pay for it's self. It's
common knowledge that frost-free appliances use a heating element to
melt the frost... look at the EPA energy reports; frost-free
refrigerators and freezers ALWAYS use more electricity. It is simply a
convenience feature.
Ed Pawlowski
2022-01-04 19:41:43 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
[...]
That depends on the comparison. A new self defrost will use less energy
than a 30 year old conventional.
Comparing new models using National Grid numbers, frost free runs $4 to
$5 more a month. So, based on that you are getting paid maybe $50 to
defrost
Bruce 4
2022-01-04 20:32:24 UTC
That being said, a frost-free freezer will NOT pay for it's self. It's
common knowledge that frost-free appliances use a heating element to
melt the frost... look at the EPA energy reports; frost-free
refrigerators and freezers ALWAYS use more electricity. It is simply a
convenience feature.
That depends on the comparison. A new self defrost will use less energy
than a 30 year old conventional.
Comparing new models using National Grid numbers, frost free runs $4 to
$5 more a month. So, based on that you are getting paid maybe $50 to
defrost
It's worth it to me to not have to unload a freezer, defrost and wipe it out,
then put all the items back in.

But we must not forget that Gary says upright frost-free freezers are VERY
inefficient. All that frigid air just falls out on our feet when we open the door.
That's why I wear woolen socks, even in the summer, when I open that freezer
door to prevent frostbite. Thus, I still have all my toes.
jmcquown
2022-01-04 23:58:35 UTC
But we must not forget that Gary says upright frost-free freezers are VERY
inefficient. All that frigid air just falls out on our feet when we open the door.
That's why I wear woolen socks, even in the summer, when I open that freezer
door to prevent frostbite. Thus, I still have all my toes.
LOL I totally forgot about that! I have an upright frost free freezer.
Hmmm, I don't stand there long enough for all the frigid air to fall
out on my feet. Not even when taking the time to rotate items when I've
bought new food (FIFO method, first in, first out). I also do not take
everything out of my freezer for "hurricane season" and stock it with
nothing but ice. That never did make any sense to me.

2022-01-05 01:14:51 UTC
But we must not forget that Gary says upright frost-free freezers are VERY
inefficient. All that frigid air just falls out on our feet when we open the door.
LOL, I'd forgotten that gem.
I don't think I'll e.v.e.r. forget that statement and he's said it more than once!
Post by i***@webtv.net
That's why I wear woolen socks, even in the summer, when I open that freezer
door to prevent frostbite. Thus, I still have all my toes.
Gary opened the oven door and the rising hot air baked his brain.
Janet UK
*GUFFAW*
Gary
2022-01-05 12:32:53 UTC
But we must not forget that Gary says upright frost-free freezers are VERY
inefficient.
Yes. Compared to chest freezers, they are.
Post by i***@webtv.net
All that frigid air just falls out on our feet when we open the door.
That's what happens, but not with chest freezers.
Post by i***@webtv.net
That's why I wear woolen socks, even in the summer, when I open that freezer
door to prevent frostbite. Thus, I still have all my toes.
Don't be so silly. It's not about frozen toes. lol.
A chest freezer is just more cost efficient as it doesn't lose all the
cold air immediately.

You've lived in Gnashville too long. :)
Ed Pawlowski
2022-01-05 13:52:39 UTC
Don't be so silly. It's not about frozen toes. lol.
A chest freezer is just more cost efficient as it doesn't lose all the
cold air immediately.
You've lived in Gnashville too long.  :)
I've had both. I'm willing to pay the extra to have an upright. Much
easier to find things on a shelf than buried in the unreachable depth of
a chest.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-05 14:15:54 UTC
Don't be so silly. It's not about frozen toes. lol.
A chest freezer is just more cost efficient as it doesn't lose all the
cold air immediately.
You've lived in Gnashville too long. :)
I've had both. I'm willing to pay the extra to have an upright. Much
easier to find things on a shelf than buried in the unreachable depth of
a chest.
I'm content getting by with the freezer compartment in an extra self-defrosting
fridge. Sufficient for our need for extra freezer space, plus it affords me a place
to store extra gallons of milk, defrost turkeys, etc.

2022-01-05 17:45:58 UTC
Don't be so silly. It's not about frozen toes. lol.
A chest freezer is just more cost efficient as it doesn't lose all the
cold air immediately.
You've lived in Gnashville too long. :)
I've had both. I'm willing to pay the extra to have an upright. Much
easier to find things on a shelf than buried in the unreachable depth of
a chest.
I'm content getting by with the freezer compartment in an extra self-defrosting
fridge. Sufficient for our need for extra freezer space, plus it affords me a place
to store extra gallons of milk, defrost turkeys, etc.
Cindy Hamilton
You freeze whole gallons of milk??
Sure, I've done that, why not...saves running to store at the last minute if ya run outta milk...
Bruce 7

This is my frogger.
S Viemeister
I do, too.
Michael Trew
Does it degrade the quality? The containers don't split open?
S Viemeister
2022-01-06 15:36:49 UTC
Post by S Viemeister
You freeze whole gallons of milk??
I do, too.
Does it degrade the quality?  The containers don't split open?
I allow them to defrost slowly, in the fridge - if they are defrosted in
a warmer environment, they can sometimes appear lumpy, but a good
shaking usually sorts that. I've been lucky enough not have any splits,
although I did have one leak a little, due to the plastic container
being banged hard while frozen - it cracked a bit.
Otherwise, I've had no problems.

I do prefer to freeze smaller containers, though, as they freeze - and
thaw - more quickly.
Bruce 7

This is my frogger.
jmcquown
2022-01-05 22:29:50 UTC
Don't be so silly. It's not about frozen toes. lol.
A chest freezer is just more cost efficient as it doesn't lose all the
cold air immediately.
You've lived in Gnashville too long. :)
I've had both. I'm willing to pay the extra to have an upright. Much
easier to find things on a shelf than buried in the unreachable depth of
a chest.
I'm content getting by with the freezer compartment in an extra self-defrosting
fridge. Sufficient for our need for extra freezer space, plus it affords me a place
to store extra gallons of milk, defrost turkeys, etc.
Cindy Hamilton
You freeze whole gallons of milk??
REFRIGERATOR. "[T]he freezer compartment in an extra self-defrosting fridge."
Cindy Hamilton
Michael didn't read that well. He's probably busy looking for candles
to defrost his old reliable frost-filled freezer. ;)

Jill
Arnie
Michael Trew
2022-01-06 04:39:33 UTC
[...]
Lol I think that would put out the candle.

My freezer is actually the newest appliance that I own. It's maybe 8
years old, commercial, but not frost free. Works just fine; it was free
to me.
Arn0
No surprise there :)
Ed Pawlowski
At that age it is very efficient compared to your fridge.
Michael Trew
2022-01-06 06:24:22 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Michael Trew
Michael didn't read that well. He's probably busy looking for candles to
defrost his old reliable frost-filled freezer. ;)
Jill
Lol I think that would put out the candle.
My freezer is actually the newest appliance that I own. It's maybe 8
years old, commercial, but not frost free. Works just fine; it was
free to me.
At that age it is very efficient compared to your fridge.
True, but my fridge uses less electricity in general than a modern size
frost-free unit. Many people here don't seem to believe me, but I
surely tested multiple refrigerators with a kill-a-watt electric meter.
I'm sure part of the reasoning is the fact that it has 7 cubic feet
(aside from being manual defrost), but if that's enough space for a 1941
family, it's surely enough for me.
Michael Trew
2022-01-06 04:38:14 UTC
Don't be so silly. It's not about frozen toes. lol.
A chest freezer is just more cost efficient as it doesn't lose all the
cold air immediately.
You've lived in Gnashville too long. :)
I've had both. I'm willing to pay the extra to have an upright. Much
easier to find things on a shelf than buried in the unreachable depth of
a chest.
I'm content getting by with the freezer compartment in an extra self-defrosting
fridge. Sufficient for our need for extra freezer space, plus it affords me a place
to store extra gallons of milk, defrost turkeys, etc.
Cindy Hamilton
You freeze whole gallons of milk??
REFRIGERATOR. "[T]he freezer compartment in an extra self-defrosting fridge."
Cindy Hamilton
Ah, you meant you use the refrigerator space below the freezer for milk,
I see.
S Viemeister
2022-01-05 14:28:01 UTC
Don't be so silly. It's not about frozen toes. lol.
A chest freezer is just more cost efficient as it doesn't lose all the
cold air immediately.
You've lived in Gnashville too long.  :)
I've had both.  I'm willing to pay the extra to have an upright.  Much
easier to find things on a shelf than buried in the unreachable depth of
a chest.
Yes, and when things are easier to locate, the door is closed sooner.
With chest freezers, you may have them open much longer, as you shuffle
things around, looking for stuff.

The upright freezer I have in Scotland, has see-through drawers and
doors inside, which minimises loss of cold air.
Bruce 7
Ghe Ghe Ghe
Bruce 7
This is not my frogger.
Sheldon Martin
2022-01-05 19:42:32 UTC
Post by i***@webtv.net
All that frigid air just falls out on our feet when we open the door.
That occurs mostly when people open the fridge door before deciding
what they want. Often some open the fridge door and don't want
anything... opening the fridge everytime they're there is a stupid
habit. Some need to open the fridge door to chat on the phone, and
stand there like a doofus with the door open for ten minutes and
meditate.
Bruce 7
You've done research into this. I can tell.
jmcquown
2022-01-05 22:30:44 UTC
Post by i***@webtv.net
All that frigid air just falls out on our feet when we open the door.
That occurs mostly when people open the fridge door before deciding
what they want. Often some open the fridge door and don't want
anything... opening the fridge everytime they're there is a stupid
habit. Some need to open the fridge door to chat on the phone, and
stand there like a doofus with the door open for ten minutes and
meditate.
Sheldon, we're talking about FREEZERS, not refrigerators.

Jill
Arnie
This is my frogger.
Michael Trew
2022-01-05 17:31:58 UTC
That being said, a frost-free freezer will NOT pay for it's self. It's
common knowledge that frost-free appliances use a heating element to
melt the frost... look at the EPA energy reports; frost-free
refrigerators and freezers ALWAYS use more electricity. It is simply a
convenience feature.
That depends on the comparison. A new self defrost will use less energy
than a 30 year old conventional.
Comparing new models using National Grid numbers, frost free runs $4 to
$5 more a month. So, based on that you are getting paid maybe $50 to
defrost
It's worth it to me to not have to unload a freezer, defrost and wipe it out,
then put all the items back in.
Probably so. I was just attempting to fight Popeye's ignorant post that
frost free saves money, that's a downright lie (unless you are paying
someone well to defrost your freezer, LOL).
Post by i***@webtv.net
But we must not forget that Gary says upright frost-free freezers are VERY
inefficient. All that frigid air just falls out on our feet when we open the door.
That's why I wear woolen socks, even in the summer, when I open that freezer
door to prevent frostbite. Thus, I still have all my toes.
Well, I mean, it is true that chest freezers are more efficient. Cold
air sinks.
Dave Smith
Thomas
2022-01-03 23:28:21 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
I have a lot of ice. 3 inches all around. Full size stand up
free from fire co.
What do you mean, "free from fire"?
How do I defrost? Unplug and thaw in place on basement floor?
True. Light a few candles to speed it up, except if answer above is not
what I'm guessing. Do not be tempted to use steel on the aluminum,
especially if you have lit a candle and it is a newish fridge that uses
propane / butane coolant. I have also used a hair dryer, but make sure it
is properly grounded, because the fridge is likely.
It will be a mess for sure.
True. Perhaps you can channel the water with a strategic funnel / hose
pail. You will need to wait for a drip to develop first.
Yep free from our fire department. They upgraded. I never had the need to defrost a freezer.
I know it is wasting energy but the price was good.
Bruce
Michael Trew
2022-01-04 19:12:34 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by Mike Duffy
I have a lot of ice. 3 inches all around. Full size stand up
free from fire co.
What do you mean, "free from fire"?
How do I defrost? Unplug and thaw in place on basement floor?
True. Light a few candles to speed it up, except if answer above is not
what I'm guessing. Do not be tempted to use steel on the aluminum,
especially if you have lit a candle and it is a newish fridge that uses
propane / butane coolant. I have also used a hair dryer, but make sure it
is properly grounded, because the fridge is likely.
It will be a mess for sure.
True. Perhaps you can channel the water with a strategic funnel / hose
pail. You will need to wait for a drip to develop first.
Yep free from our fire department. They upgraded. I never had the need to defrost a freezer.
I know it is wasting energy but the price was good.
Just thaw it once per year when it's freezing out, and put your food out
in a basket while it melts.
Dave Smith
Bruce 9
Michael Trew
2022-01-03 17:40:28 UTC
Post by Thomas
Cleaning out the refrigerator is a job. Cleaning out the freezer
is a chore. It's cold on our front porch, and we're off today.
Too much stuff in there. I'm reformed. Buy as needed.
--Bryan
Mine has a couple inches of frost on the coils. I really need to do
that when we get a good freeze in a day or two here.
I have a lot of ice. 3 inches all around. Full suze stand up free from fire co.
How do I defrost? Unplug and thaw in place on basement floor? It will be a mess for sure.
Way to heavy to move. Moving the food is the easy part.
That's what I do. It's conveniently near the cellar floor drain.
Towels are an additional option.