steak fries
2021-11-24 20:20:17 UTC
can anyone tell me what the best way to cook steak fries is? i.e. do i
need to deep fry them in 2 steps and how long?
thanks
-Jen
Maybe its been awhile, but good question. I pour maybe a 16th of a cup of bacon grease in the frozen steak fries bag and fry them in canola or vegetable oil on high for maybe 4 minutes on each side. Then, I set them to oil drain on cake grates topped with a paper bag and three paper towels over that.
US Janet
2021-11-24 21:00:54 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:20:17 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
Post by bruce bowser
can anyone tell me what the best way to cook steak fries is? i.e. do i
need to deep fry them in 2 steps and how long?
thanks
-Jen
Maybe its been awhile, but good question. I pour maybe a 16th of a cup of bacon grease in the frozen steak fries bag and fry them in canola or vegetable oil on high for maybe 4 minutes on each side. Then, I set them to oil drain on cake grates topped with a paper bag and three paper towels over that.
I do my own. Cut large potato in half from pole to pole, Cut each
half into 3 or 4 slices, cutting from pole to pole.. Drop them into
a plastic bag, pour in a tablespoon or so of your favorite non-smoking
oil. Spread on sheet an and season all. Tip the fries so they are
sitting on their backs with the pointy part up. Put in oven at 350 or
400 F for a period of time determined by your eyes -- when they are
brown and blistered, you should take from oven. This is home cooking
so your eyes are part of the directions.
Janet US
jmcquown
2021-11-24 21:29:56 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
Yep. I make "quarter fries" from time to time in the same manner,
generally using baking potatoes cut lengthwise although I also like
sweet potato fries done in this manner. In a hot oven. No bacon grease
though and not using frozen fries.

Of course no bacon grease for sweet potato or squash or plantains or pumpkin. Who cares about any of that stuff?
Sheldon Martin
2021-11-25 15:41:36 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
Jill
I also prefer my spuds roasted in a hot oven; pare, eye, and make
large slices with a scalloped knife... I coat with olive oil and roast
on a foil lined sheet pan.
https://www.amazon.com/Crinkle-Chopper-Upgraded-Stainless-Vegetable/dp/B08HY1X7QJ/ref=asc_df_B08HY1X7QJ?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80676776179893&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276306709742&psc=1
My crinkle cut knife has larger scallops... been using it a lot of
years, on all kinds of veggies... works well on carrots for stew.
Makes children more apt to eat veggies. Been using mine since I was
about five years old. Make a lot, they go fast.
jmcquown
2021-11-25 16:09:55 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
Okay. Why would anyone need to "crinkle cut" potatoes or carrots to put
in a stew? Seems to me they'd fall apart. And don't tell me "children"
can't recognize carrots simply because they're crinkle cut. ;)

I do like *waffle cut* white and sweet potato fries. Those I buy frozen
and heat in the oven. I'm not buying a special gadget to make them at home.

I say kids like diced carrots the most. You can even barely cook diced carrots and I would have liked them as a kid.
Michael Trew
2021-11-26 05:57:19 UTC
Post by US Janet
[...]
Perhaps more "fun" due to the shape of the carrots? I doubt that
potatoes would hold the shape. I wouldn't buy one either, but if I
found one in an auction lot, I suppose I'd clean it and keep it.
US Janet
2021-11-26 06:23:45 UTC
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 00:57:19 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by US Janet
[...]
Of course they hold their shape. They are all around you, you just
haven't ever noticed. Mixed veggies in can or frozen (not all brands)
pictures in ads, Mixed pickles, pickled beets at the store.
Janet US
US Janet
2021-11-25 18:09:34 UTC
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 10:41:36 -0500, Sheldon Martin <***@aol.com>
wrote:
snip
Post by Sheldon Martin
I also prefer my spuds roasted in a hot oven; pare, eye, and make
large slices with a scalloped knife... I coat with olive oil and roast
on a foil lined sheet pan.
https://www.amazon.com/Crinkle-Chopper-Upgraded-Stainless-Vegetable/dp/B08HY1X7QJ/ref=asc_df_B08HY1X7QJ?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80676776179893&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276306709742&psc=1
My crinkle cut knife has larger scallops... been using it a lot of
years, on all kinds of veggies... works well on carrots for stew.
Makes children more apt to eat veggies. Been using mine since I was
about five years old. Make a lot, they go fast.
Sheldon, which handle type works best for you. I wanted to put one in
my cart but couldn't decide on the handle.
Janet US
Sheldon Martin
2021-11-25 19:40:26 UTC
Post by US Janet
snip
Post by Sheldon Martin
I also prefer my spuds roasted in a hot oven; pare, eye, and make
large slices with a scalloped knife... I coat with olive oil and roast
on a foil lined sheet pan.
https://www.amazon.com/Crinkle-Chopper-Upgraded-Stainless-Vegetable/dp/B08HY1X7QJ/ref=asc_df_B08HY1X7QJ?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80676776179893&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276306709742&psc=1
My crinkle cut knife has larger scallops... been using it a lot of
years, on all kinds of veggies... works well on carrots for stew.
Makes children more apt to eat veggies. Been using mine since I was
about five years old. Make a lot, they go fast.
Sheldon, which handle type works best for you. I wanted to put one in
my cart but couldn't decide on the handle.
Janet US
Only your hand can decide... like sex, only you can decide on best
fit. Janet, I'd be pleased to give you a live demonstration... let me
know... I presume you'd prefer a thick grip. ;)
Hank Rogers
Popeye, yoose aunt sure did.
bruce bowser
Sounds GRREAT ! ! ! but ... non-smoking oil? I thought all of 'em smoked ... at some point? Am I wrong?
US Janet
2021-11-25 00:24:30 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 14:51:21 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
Post by US Janet
[...]
With enough temp. yes they do. Go ahead and use bacon grease to toss
them in the plastic bag. You'll just have to watch them and adjust
your temp. accordingly.
It's all home cooking and you make it up as you go along ;)
Janet US
Michael Trew
2021-11-26 05:55:42 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
I'm not sure that I've ever made steak fries in the oven. Occasionally,
I deep fry potatoes cut thin, but I usually only bake whole ones in the
oven. They sound good with a bit of bacon grease!
bruce bowser
2021-11-26 18:18:27 UTC
Post by US Janet
[...]
If you look at some of the archived messages here, you'd also notice the uses chicken fat, pork fat, duck fat that have come up here.