Trash Pickup Service and Fees (was: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY)
2022-01-02 19:00:02 UTC
I spent the day getting my 2022 wall calendar filled in with doctor
and eye doctor appointments and recycle days written in.
Exciting stuff. What about street sweeping days? I look at
calendars about twice a month. I'll forgot about anything I record
on/in a calendar.
We get garbage picked up once a week here and we're also provided
with a recycling bin. Recyclables are collected once a month on a
specific date for my area of the city.
36 Gallon brush/composting bin
64 Gallon Trash Can
96 Gallon Recycling bin

All picked up weekly. Plus we can put out extra brush cans, piles of
recyclables, and recyclable bags of brush and/or leaves every week.
Twice a year we have large item and large brush pickups (4 total).

Out of curiosity, I compared what we pay $31.45/month for what y0ou
pay almost the same price:

You only get 4X a year brush collection, recycling only 12X/year, no
large trash collection (fridges, couches) plus you have pay for
replacement cans/carts at $50/pop while ours are mostly free (within
reason(*))

Both for $32/month. Fort Worth for the Win!

[OTOH, we pay more for the water leaving our houses (wastewater)
than we do for the supposedly potable water that enters our homes]

What do otheras pay monthly for trash services and at what level?

All lined up and ready to go tonight:

(*) I accidentally set my 96gal recycling bin afire with the 50lb
Lazzari lump charcoal when I was smoking some ribs one fateful day -
melted it into a lump of plastic with wheels. I was able to put the
OLD, melted lump of a recycling bin into the NEW recycling bin for
recycling. Heh - If we're paying for recycling, then why should we
have to pay for an old can to be recycled into a new can? Right?!

And also got a replacement for wear and tear on the 64gal trash can
just last month - also for free. The trash truck came and emptied
the trash within it and a half hour later the recycling truck picked
up the empty can and released it into to its hopper rather than
setting it back out for re-use. A new replacement cart/can came a
couple hours later. Pretty efficient, IMHO.

2022-01-02 19:07:34 UTC
https://i.postimg.cc/mZdrYjpy/Trash-Cans.jpg
(*) I accidentally set my 96gal recycling bin afire with the 50lb
Lazzari lump charcoal when I was smoking some ribs one fateful day -
melted it into a lump of plastic with wheels. I was able to put the
OLD, melted lump of a recycling bin into the NEW recycling bin for
recycling. Heh - If we're paying for recycling, then why should we
have to pay for an old can to be recycled into a new can? Right?!
And also got a replacement for wear and tear on the 64gal trash can
just last month - also for free. The trash truck came and emptied
the trash within it and a half hour later the recycling truck picked
up the empty can and released it into to its hopper rather than
setting it back out for re-use. A new replacement cart/can came a
couple hours later. Pretty efficient, IMHO.
-sw
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Bruce
Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Bruce
This is not my frogger.
Graham
2022-01-02 19:38:21 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
I spent the day getting my 2022 wall calendar filled in with doctor
and eye doctor appointments and recycle days written in.
Exciting stuff. What about street sweeping days? I look at
calendars about twice a month. I'll forgot about anything I record
on/in a calendar.
We get garbage picked up once a week here and we're also provided
with a recycling bin. Recyclables are collected once a month on a
specific date for my area of the city.
36 Gallon brush/composting bin
64 Gallon Trash Can
96 Gallon Recycling bin
All picked up weekly. Plus we can put out extra brush cans, piles of
recyclables, and recyclable bags of brush and/or leaves every week.
Twice a year we have large item and large brush pickups (4 total).
We have 3 bins, all the same size, for recyclables, organics and garbage
respectively. The first is collected weekly but during the winter months
the organics bin is collected fortnightly. The general garbage bin is
fortnightly, year-round.
Bruce
2022-01-02 19:45:16 UTC
Post by Graham
[...]
Tactile buttons, knobs and sliders. Am I the only person who thinks touchscreens look and feel cheap? Many
cars now are even replacing the analog instruments with LCD screens with drawings of analog instruments, which
is just perplexingly stupid looking, and completely counter to the reasons why analog prevailed in popularity over t
he digital gauges of 30+ years ago.

I think cars kinda peaked in still useful to this date features by the mid to late 90s, anything new since then
seems grossly unnecessary, gimmicky or detrimental to the operation of a motor vehicle. But I do like some
trivial things like dedicated USB slots for chargers, Bluetooth pairing and I don’t particularly dislike the keyless
systems(though I don’t care much for it when the fob battery dies).

I don’t miss cassette or CD players, power antennas, ash trays and cigarette lighters (especially when there’s only one)
Ophelia
2022-01-02 21:43:03 UTC
[...]
My friend's car has touchscreen controls. You can control the power flow to the wheels, control the traction schemes, control the active suspension, pick between preset programs for transmission shifting. You can set it up to give metrics on the car's performance and monitor engine status. The reality is that you're going to need a multi-function display with a touch screen if you want to diddle around with all the computer controlled capabilities available to your modern car.
WOW!! Does this mean you can sleep during thr journey???
Bruce
Sqwertz
2022-01-02 23:46:07 UTC
Tactile buttons, knobs and sliders....
My friend's car has touchscreen controls....
David's "superior powerz of perception" never cease to amaze.

2022-01-03 00:13:33 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Tactile buttons, knobs and sliders....
My friend's car has touchscreen controls....
David's "superior powerz of perception" never cease to amaze.
Dave "Pickleball" Smith is a Master Stater of the Obvious. Also, his
posts are always 5 times longer than they need to be and he has too
many friends.
Gary
2022-01-03 12:37:36 UTC
My friend's car has touchscreen controls. You can control the power flow to the wheels, control the traction schemes, control the active suspension, pick between preset programs for transmission shifting. You can set it up to give metrics on the car's performance and monitor engine status. The reality is that you're going to need a multi-function display with a touch screen if you want to diddle around with all the computer controlled capabilities available to your modern car.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Does he ever get time to pay
attention to his driving?
Bruce 1
2022-01-04 04:11:25 UTC
Bruce
Geoff Rove
2022-01-03 00:14:26 UTC
Post by Graham
[...]
We get a choice of cart service billed by the Mega conglomerate or per can stickers and free recycling pickup.
Downside is Mega slow to react for storm pickups versus city garbage model.
Sqwertz
2022-01-03 01:35:46 UTC
Post by Geoff Rove
Post by Graham
[...]
The problem with the pay as you go/sticker plan is that the trucks
are coming to your neighborhood anyway and have to cross check to
see if pay or not. Picking shit up doesn't take much more
energy/time and wastes both.

I don't know what 'storm pickups' are - fallen brush? But most
conglomerates don't do that. I can always just drag it to the creek
and wave goodbye to it. But they don't like that.

2022-01-03 03:14:01 UTC
Post by Geoff Rove
We get a choice of cart service billed by the Mega conglomerate or per can stickers and free recycling pickup.
Downside is Mega slow to react for storm pickups versus city garbage model.
I don't know what 'storm pickups' are - fallen brush? But most
conglomerates don't do that. I can always just drag it to the creek
and wave goodbye to it. But they don't like that.
-sw
I would guess storm pickups is when a storm comes through and topples
trees. When the tornado zipped through my side of town in spring 2019
Metro contracted with several tree trimming companies to haul off the
downed trees. Dump trucks were part of the regular traffic around here
for several weeks.
Geoff Rove
Yes, plus with city trucks they can attach snow plow blades. I generate a small bag of trash weekly which I discreetly dispose of at various public cans. No need for a Mega truck to stop and start, wasting fuel. Mega gets free valuable recycling commodities from me . I use stickers for occasional brush pickup.
i***@webtv.net
2022-01-05 01:10:52 UTC
I would guess storm pickups is when a storm comes through and topples
trees. When the tornado zipped through my side of town in spring 2019
Metro contracted with several tree trimming companies to haul off the
downed trees. Dump trucks were part of the regular traffic around here
for several weeks.
Yes, plus with city trucks they can attach snow plow blades. I generate a small
bag of trash weekly which I discreetly dispose of at various public cans. No need
for a Mega truck to stop and start, wasting fuel. Mega gets free valuable recycling
commodities from me . I use stickers for occasional brush pickup.
The trucks my city uses do have snowplow blades but also huge hoppers to disperse
the salt. Are they the same trucks to pick up brush? No, completely different sized
trucks. This is the type of truck my city uses to collect brush and yard waste.

It does not matter whether I have a bag of trash to be picked up weekly or not.
Most all my neighbors have plenty of trash bags to be picked up and alleys for
those trucks to roll down and collect the trash. This is the type of trucks that are
used in the older neighborhoods with alleys.

2022-01-05 16:38:22 UTC
I would guess storm pickups is when a storm comes through and topples
trees. When the tornado zipped through my side of town in spring 2019
Metro contracted with several tree trimming companies to haul off the
downed trees. Dump trucks were part of the regular traffic around here
for several weeks.
Yes, plus with city trucks they can attach snow plow blades. I generate a small
bag of trash weekly which I discreetly dispose of at various public cans. No need
for a Mega truck to stop and start, wasting fuel. Mega gets free valuable recycling
commodities from me . I use stickers for occasional brush pickup.
The trucks my city uses do have snowplow blades but also huge hoppers to disperse
the salt. Are they the same trucks to pick up brush? No, completely different sized
trucks. This is the type of truck my city uses to collect brush and yard waste.
https://i.postimg.cc/kMxtchgV/Brush-Collection-Truck.jpg
That looks just like our claw truck, that picks up yard waste, but also
various construction debris, couches, etc.
Post by i***@webtv.net
It does not matter whether I have a bag of trash to be picked up weekly or not.
Most all my neighbors have plenty of trash bags to be picked up and alleys for
those trucks to roll down and collect the trash. This is the type of trucks that are
used in the older neighborhoods with alleys.
https://i.postimg.cc/RFYJDjnf/Garbage-truck.jpg
Our "city" also has a small and large truck. I'm pretty sure they need
the small truck on my side road, since it's basically one lane. Also
needed in many of the alleys behind businesses downtown. My street is
two directional, but on the off chance someone is coming, someone had
better pull off.
Bruce 7

This is my frogger.
Geoff Rove
Chicago and NYC put plow blades on the traditional compactor garbage trucks. Doubt that Republic or WM would do that even though we as customers pay for the trucks.
Dave Smith
Bruce
2022-01-02 22:22:08 UTC
On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 13:32:59 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
[...]
I can't recall how much my trash collection costs. Maybe $20/month?
It's a line item on my water/sewer bill, which comes quarterly.
Trash and recycling pickup once a week (different trucks). The township
contracts with a private collection firm. They provide the carts. IIRC
mine are 96 gallons. If they break, they're replaced at no charge to me.
Which is good, because the snowplows play skittles with them. Every
few years one gets a massive crack in it and I call for a replacement.
No street sweeping on my road. No storm sewers; everything just washes
down into the ditch.
In spring/summer/fall, there's yard waste pickup. Those big paper
bags and bundles of brush 4 ft long and 1 ft in diameter. I don't think
we get Christmas tree pickup; the City of Ann Arbor has that.
I think we can get large item pickup. But we get appliances hauled
away by the vendor. Almost anything we've put at the side of the road
has been taken by someone or other. If we have a large construction
project, we haul a trailer load to the materials recovery facility and pay
about $40 for a load to throw it in a giant skip. If we've got any metal,
there's a separate skip for that.
2022-01-02 23:16:57 UTC
I spent the day getting my 2022 wall calendar filled in with doctor
and eye doctor appointments and recycle days written in.
Exciting stuff. What about street sweeping days? I look at
calendars about twice a month. I'll forgot about anything I record
on/in a calendar.
Those lazy street sweepers haven't been by in a year. GRRRRRRRRRRR

This is a wall calendar that you have to flip over each month to see
the new month. That's when I see appointments, when to change a/c
filters, etc.
We get garbage picked up once a week here and we're also provided
with a recycling bin. Recyclables are collected once a month on a
specific date for my area of the city.
36 Gallon brush/composting bin
64 Gallon Trash Can
96 Gallon Recycling bin
All picked up weekly. Plus we can put out extra brush cans, piles of
recyclables, and recyclable bags of brush and/or leaves every week.
Twice a year we have large item and large brush pickups (4 total).
I don't know how they came up with collecting recyclable items once
a month but it seems to work ok. But most people do have full bins
when they show up to empty them.
Out of curiosity, I compared what we pay $31.45/month for what y0ou
You only get 4X a year brush collection, recycling only 12X/year, no
large trash collection (fridges, couches) plus you have pay for
replacement cans/carts at $50/pop while ours are mostly free (within
reason(*))
Both for $32/month. Fort Worth for the Win!
We don't pay a monthly fee for trash or recycling collection. That fee
is paid through our property taxes. Metro Nashville owns their own
trash trucks.

I haven't heard of anyone paying for a replacement bin. Just last
month my neighbor across the alley had her trash bin replaced
as the lid had several holes in it from the squirrels chewing it.
[OTOH, we pay more for the water leaving our houses (wastewater)
than we do for the supposedly potable water that enters our homes]
Same here. That's called a sewer fee here and it is more expensive
that fresh water delivered through the lines.
What do others pay monthly for trash services and at what level?
I don't have a clue what people pay out of the Metro collection area.
https://i.postimg.cc/mZdrYjpy/Trash-Cans.jpg
Is your orange can a 64 gallon size and the green one a 32
gallon size??

Only my 64 gallon trash bin is ready for tomorrows pick up.
(*) I accidentally set my 96gal recycling bin afire with the 50lb
Lazzari lump charcoal when I was smoking some ribs one fateful day -
melted it into a lump of plastic with wheels. I was able to put the
OLD, melted lump of a recycling bin into the NEW recycling bin for
recycling. Heh - If we're paying for recycling, then why should we
have to pay for an old can to be recycled into a new can? Right?!
I don't put my used charcoal into a doubled Walmart bag until the
next day when I'm positive it's no longer 'live.'
And also got a replacement for wear and tear on the 64gal trash can
just last month - also for free. The trash truck came and emptied
the trash within it and a half hour later the recycling truck picked
up the empty can and released it into to its hopper rather than
setting it back out for re-use. A new replacement cart/can came a
couple hours later. Pretty efficient, IMHO.
-sw
Yes, we can call for a replacement trash or recycle bin at no extra
charge, too.
Sqwertz
2022-01-03 00:41:05 UTC
I spent the day getting my 2022 wall calendar filled in with doctor
and eye doctor appointments and recycle days written in.
Exciting stuff. What about street sweeping days? I look at
calendars about twice a month. I'll forgot about anything I record
on/in a calendar.
Those lazy street sweepers haven't been by in a year. GRRRRRRRRRRR
They don't even publish the sweeper schedule here like they used to.
But you can tell during/after it comes by by all the lines
zig-zagging around the parked cars
Post by i***@webtv.net
This is a wall calendar that you have to flip over each month to see
the new month. That's when I see appointments, when to change a/c
filters, etc.
No "change batteries in the smoke and CO2 detectors"? Mine are
wired into the 120V circuits. You can beat the shit out of them
with a 2x4 and they still don't turn off. I hate em!
Post by i***@webtv.net
36 Gallon brush/composting bin
64 Gallon Trash Can
96 Gallon Recycling bin
I don't know how they came up with collecting recyclable items once
a month but it seems to work ok. But most people do have full bins
when they show up to empty them.
They give us smaller trash cans and bigger recycling bins to
hypntonize us into separating out more recyclables. They tried
downgrading us all to 24 gal trash cans and that didn't work worth a
shit. Now we get 64's for trash by default (and all the 24's they
bought went to waste - or got recycled)
Post by i***@webtv.net
We don't pay a monthly fee for trash or recycling collection. That fee
is paid through our property taxes. Metro Nashville owns their own
trash trucks.
And we don't pay State Income Texas - it's built into our property
taxes. Property taxes are the first thing they leverage when they
need extra money. The State, Counties, and Cities can each leverage
that when needed, just like sales tax.
Post by i***@webtv.net
I haven't heard of anyone paying for a replacement bin. Just last
month my neighbor across the alley had her trash bin replaced
as the lid had several holes in it from the squirrels chewing it.
Never heard of squirrels chewing through plastic for anything but
batting. I just caught one yesterday when I walked out the front
door I heard thos rasping/clawing sound. I looked up and saw this
squirrel sqwuaking at me from on top of inner roof. I javelined the
broom at him and broke out the ladder and "locked" him/her out/in
and in about another 48 hours, if he's still up there, he'll gladly
come out for food/water ASAP. And if he's not up there's he's found
some other place to roost. Then I patch it up permanently....
somehow - it's in an awkward position under the soffit of one gable
but on top of of another where they intersect. There's only 0" to 3"
of clearance there. That fucking rat bastard!

I think I may have cut down his tree and nest on Wednesday. I
thought that was an odd-looking birds nest. Fuck 'em.
Post by i***@webtv.net
[OTOH, we pay more for the water leaving our houses (wastewater)
than we do for the supposedly potable water that enters our homes]
Same here. That's called a sewer fee here and it is more expensive
that fresh water delivered through the lines.
We have a separate groundwater/street drainage fee.
Post by i***@webtv.net
What do others pay monthly for trash services and at what level?
I don't have a clue what people pay out of the Metro collection area.
https://i.postimg.cc/mZdrYjpy/Trash-Cans.jpg
Is your orange can a 64 gallon size and the green one a 32
gallon size??
I think that's right. I'm not good with colors anymore. It's
whatever I said above, from baby bear to papa bear. The loose can
is my brush can which I rescued (and adopted) from the creek after
the last windstorm (I let the Adirondack chair go by - hate those
damned things).
Post by i***@webtv.net
(*) I accidentally set my 96gal recycling bin afire with the 50lb
Lazzari lump charcoal when I was smoking some ribs one fateful day -
melted it into a lump of plastic with wheels. I was able to put the
OLD, melted lump of a recycling bin into the NEW recycling bin for
recycling. Heh - If we're paying for recycling, then why should we
have to pay for an old can to be recycled into a new can? Right?!
I don't put my used charcoal into a doubled Walmart bag until the
next day when I'm positive it's no longer 'live.'
I do not dump coals for at least 72 hours - on average it's about
every 6 weeks. They stay in the pit. Short Story: 40lb bag of
Lazarri lump charcoal comes in a plastic woven mesh-like bag. I
tipped the bag into the charcoal pan to top it off before I took a
nap. Corner of the plastic mesh bag caught a little flame I didn't
notice. Leaned bag up against recycle bin. Went to sleep. Neighbor
put out the fire and knocked on door. Pork butt was fine. 30lbs of
lump charcoal were ruined.

How did I lose the picture of that melted recycle bin? It's at
least in the alt.binaries.food archives, I'm sure. Circa 2006 or
2007.

i***@webtv.net
2022-01-03 03:06:23 UTC
wrote:.
Those lazy street sweepers haven't been by in a year. GRRRRRRRRRRR
They don't even publish the sweeper schedule here like they used to.
But you can tell during/after it comes by by all the lines
zig-zagging around the parked cars
They've never published their schedule here. It used to be weekly, then it
went to bi-weekly, then monthly. Now, it's just when they show up and
yeah, you can tell they've been on some streets by zig-zagging lines.
This is a wall calendar that you have to flip over each month to see
the new month. That's when I see appointments, when to change a/c
filters, etc.
No "change batteries in the smoke and CO2 detectors"? Mine are
wired into the 120V circuits. You can beat the shit out of them
with a 2x4 and they still don't turn off. I hate em!
About 3 years ago I bought smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide
detector and all have 10-year lithium batteries.
They give us smaller trash cans and bigger recycling bins to
hypntonize us into separating out more recyclables. They tried
downgrading us all to 24 gal trash cans and that didn't work worth a
shit. Now we get 64's for trash by default (and all the 24's they
bought went to waste - or got recycled)
Ours were all the same size, 96 gallons, unless you call and request
a smaller one. But now they don't stock anything smaller than giant ones.
We don't pay a monthly fee for trash or recycling collection. That fee
is paid through our property taxes. Metro Nashville owns their own
trash trucks.
And we don't pay State Income Texas - it's built into our property
taxes. Property taxes are the first thing they leverage when they
need extra money. The State, Counties, and Cities can each leverage
that when needed, just like sales tax.
No state income tax here either. But last year Metro did levy a 34%
tax increase. Thankfully, mine are frozen. (That's been discussed
in a previous thread a few months ago.)
I haven't heard of anyone paying for a replacement bin. Just last
month my neighbor across the alley had her trash bin replaced
as the lid had several holes in it from the squirrels chewing it.
Never heard of squirrels chewing through plastic for anything but
batting.
Oh yes, I see a lot of my neighbor trash can lids with chew marks on
them. If they put out garbage that smells enticing to those tree rats
they'll try to chew through the lid to get whatever has been put out
as garbage.
I think I may have cut down his tree and nest on Wednesday. I
thought that was an odd-looking birds nest. Fuck 'em.
Their nests look like a big ball of leaves.
Post by Sqwertz
https://i.postimg.cc/mZdrYjpy/Trash-Cans.jpg
Is your orange can a 64 gallon size and the green one a 32
gallon size??
I think that's right. I'm not good with colors anymore. It's
whatever I said above, from baby bear to papa bear. The loose can
is my brush can which I rescued (and adopted) from the creek after
the last windstorm (I let the Adirondack chair go by - hate those
damned things).
Ok.
Post by Sqwertz
(*) I accidentally set my 96gal recycling bin afire with the 50lb
Lazzari lump charcoal when I was smoking some ribs one fateful day -
melted it into a lump of plastic with wheels. I was able to put the
OLD, melted lump of a recycling bin into the NEW recycling bin for
recycling. Heh - If we're paying for recycling, then why should we
have to pay for an old can to be recycled into a new can? Right?!
I don't put my used charcoal into a doubled Walmart bag until the
next day when I'm positive it's no longer 'live.'
I do not dump coals for at least 72 hours - on average it's about
every 6 weeks. Corner of the plastic mesh bag caught a little flame I didn't
Oh ok. Now I understand how your recycling bin got melted.
Bruce
This is not my frogger.
Michael Trew
2022-01-03 18:37:31 UTC
I think we can get large item pickup. But we get appliances hauled
away by the vendor. Almost anything we've put at the side of the road
has been taken by someone or other. If we have a large construction
project, we haul a trailer load to the materials recovery facility and pay
about $40 for a load to throw it in a giant skip. If we've got any metal,
there's a separate skip for that.
Cindy Hamilton
I hope they don't charge you for metal disposal, since they make money
on that.
It costs them more to process individual streams, therefore they should
charge for it (by lumping it in with the volume of construction debris that
I have). I'm not going to drive all around town finding places that will pay
for my few pounds of copper, aluminum, and steel. Husband has a box
full of some exotic metal that might be worth finding a buyer, but it sits
in his shop while we have better things to do.
Cindy Hamilton
No need to drive all over town, one scrap yard will take any metal and
pay for it. They might not have the best price, but it doesn't seem
that you mind that, so as long as it's gone. I've done it enough that
I've searched multiple yards for better prices. You easiest bet would
be to just look one up, and drive whatever you have there.

Most yards have a drive-on scale for scrap steel, iron, etc. You
probably don't want to be bothered by that. There is a separate
door/office with a small scale where they weight catalytic converters,
brass, copper, aluminum, and any non-ferrous or otherwise metal of more
value. (websites that advertise yards, such as iscrapapp.com, are almost
guaranteed to pay less than small local yards).
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-03 20:27:49 UTC
[...]
Why should I drive anywhere to sell a few pounds of scrap? It's not
worth my time. I'd put it in the trash can, but I feel it's better to
recycle it.

Michael Trew
2022-01-04 19:14:17 UTC
[...]
To each their own. With a few 5 gallon buckets of more valuable metal,
depending on what is in them, could easily bring a couple hundred
dollars. Perhaps that's chump change to some, but that's a few days of
work (pay) for me.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-04 20:31:27 UTC
[...]
How do you get those buckets?

I get metal by doing DIY projects on my own house. There's only so
much metal I can tear out of my house. I suppose I could save it
up for 10 years and make it worth going to the effort of selling it.

I'm not saying you should do anything differently. I'm saying my
circumstances are different. A few days of pay for me is a few
hundred dollars. How much metal should a slightly arthritic
64-year-old woman be willing to move?

Cindy Hamilton
Bruce 5
bob
2022-01-04 22:42:03 UTC
[...]
You are just finding excuses when everything you need is available. It
would be a good hobby after you retire.
https://www.brucemetal.com/what-equipment-do-you-need-to-begin-scrap-collecting
Scrap collecting can be a lucrative side-project that carries the added
benefit of helping the environment. But if you have never found,
processed, and recycled scrap metal before, you may not know where to
begin. Scrap collecting is a safe hobby for the prepared, and it doesn't
need to be difficult. With the right equipment, you can improve your
profit margins, save time, and work with metals responsibly.
You're right, Ed. I should abandon my other plans (gardening, yoga,
cooking) and start scrapping.
Cindy Hamilton
You will probably stick with cooking. Gardening is iffy .. yoga double iffy.
Michael Trew
2022-01-05 16:51:57 UTC
On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 13:36:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
You're right, Ed. I should abandon my other plans (gardening, yoga,
cooking) and start scrapping.
Cindy Hamilton
Anyone tells me they collect scrap metal from the curb and makes
good money selling it I know they are absolutely lying. They do that
because they are unemployed and at best they make candy and icecream
chump change. They can make a lot more from a real job, if they were
fit to hold a real job, which they obviously are not.
Depends on the price of metal. I've made $200+ from a truck load, and
I've also made as little as $50... the latter being NOT worth the effort.
Anyone thinks
plumbers and electricians don't take the scrap copper off their jobs
and wait until they have enough to sell thinks we are all living in
LALA land.
People in cities put any metal out to the curb that they don't want to
deal with, from pipes, to appliances, to brake rotors... etc...
Any grown man who spends his time driving his pick up from
street to street dumpster diving for bits of scrap is unemployed and
unfit for real employment.
Your stereotype is true in many cases. I picked up the habit from my
ex-girlfriend's father, who was by definition white trash, unemployable,
etc. Missing teeth, tattoos, poorly educated, and so forth. He was
really rough around the edges. When I was regularly scrapping, I stuck
out like a sore thumb at the scrap yard. Many of the men selling metal
there looked like they were jail birds.

I hardly make trips to the scrap yard anymore, because I make enough
money with my various part time jobs to not bother, and the weather is
cold out now. When I saw trips where her father made a couple hundred
dollars, and I was out of work, that was inspiring. She grew up riding
around in the truck with him, picking up metal. She knew all of the
routes, so we'd just drive around the city and load the truck at one
point in time.

Even if I only made $120 in a night, $20 in the gas tank, that was $100
in my pocket for 5 hours of work and good exercise. I might get back to
it when the weather breaks, at least on Sunday evenings. Sunday
evenings were always good pickings, and I also drove through a familiar
neighborhood where I used to live.
Bruce 7

This is my frogger.
Michael Trew
2022-01-05 16:53:34 UTC
On Tue, 4 Jan 2022 13:36:12 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
You're right, Ed. I should abandon my other plans (gardening, yoga,
cooking) and start scrapping.
Cindy Hamilton
When I was six years old I collected scrap on Saturdays. I used an
old baby carriage to haul the scrap to the junkman, many kids did the
same. Took half a day to get enough pennies to buy candy and ice
cream.
When you were 6, Sheldon, you picked up tiny bits of metal in a wagon
and took it in, as did many kids back then. Hubcaps, etc. You aren't
thinking in bulk. When you haul 1.5 tons of metal in, a truck loaded
down begging for mercy, you make a LOT more money, due to the quantity
of metal that you are hauling. BIG difference between 25 pounds in a
wagon, and 2,500 pounds in a truck bed.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-05 17:39:14 UTC
[...]
To be honest, I'm a lot of talk at this point. It's probably been over
a year since I regularly collected metal, and close to 6 months since
I've even been to a scrap yard. The key to my running truck has been
missing, and it's too darn cold out to pick up anyway. I would if I
were in a pinch for money, but I'd rather stay home in this weather.
My comment was in reference to just saving odds and ends in the garage
for projects. Probably not worth it if you don't do a lot of projects,
I would reckon.
Oh, we have odds and ends for projects. Sheet steel, tubular aluminum,
Unistrut, all kinds of stuff.

But we don't save little cut-offs of copper pipe when we change the
plumbing. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about taking to the MRF.

Cindy Hamilton
Bruce 7
Municipal Recycle Facility?
Bruce 7
This is not my frogger.
Bruce 7

This is my frogger.
Bruce 8

This is my frogger.
Arnie
This is my frogger.
Bruce 9
Bruce
2022-01-03 19:22:02 UTC
On Mon, 3 Jan 2022 10:27:55 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
[...]
We Dutch have a saying about guys like yous, which is KILL YOURSELF
you loser. no wife no partner no family no friends no job no money and
no hope for the future. Loser. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
bruce bowser
Collectors have been sorting trash for years, Cindy. They know best how to do it. I know its weird.
Bruce 1
2022-01-04 04:10:23 UTC
On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 12:56:45 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Sqwertz
[...]
Odd, you think that the brush/compost bin would be larger.
Ours for the city are all billed together...
Water: 16.80
Sewer: 15.04
Refuse: 22.90
All three are mandatory charges... sewer seems to be based on water
usage. This is the minimum in city limits that can be charged, and the
water is a flat rate up to 2,000 gallons. I always use under that mark.
The bill SHOULD be $54.74, and that's what it was... until they added a
new BS fee a year or two ago. We are now charged $7 for "STORM WATER
FEE"... they said its some EPA BS, and they had to make a "Storm water
management" team per the EPA, to study where the storm water drains to??
Everyone with a property which has a roof that water hits, has to pay
this stupid fee per month.
Bill total: $61.74 per month. The "refuse" service includes the stupid
massive 96 gallon trash can with weekly pick up, no recycling, and up to
once per month "bulk pick up" with the huge claw truck (up to 15 cubic
yards).
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
jmcquown
2022-01-05 23:16:33 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Out of curiosity, I compared what we pay $31.45/month for what y0ou
You only get 4X a year brush collection, recycling only 12X/year, no
large trash collection (fridges, couches) plus you have pay for
replacement cans/carts at $50/pop while ours are mostly free (within
reason(*))
Both for $32/month. Fort Worth for the Win!
-sw
I'm late to the game but I pay quarterly for garbage/household trash
pickup from a local company. There is no "municipal" trash pickup in
Beaufort County. I've been through number of different companies over
the years. Republic Waste, Waste Management. They were all fairly
expensive to begin with, kept raising the rates, and not at all reliable.

A friend told me about a local company based on Saint Helena. Quite
reasonable. It's been the same rate for the last 3 years: $113/quarter,
$37 per month, $8.69 per week, picked up twice each week. They even
pick up on holidays.

The other mega companies sort of showed up whenever they wanted to (same
schedule, Monday & Thursday). On Holidays? Nope. They were supposed
to pick up the day after X-holiday but that never happened. So for,
say, Thanksgiving, they didn't pick up on Thursday or the next day.
Meanwhile you've got more trash building up for them to pick up the
following Monday. Annoying.

With ALL of them, I've supplied my own trash can. It's probably a 64
gallon can; I really don't know.

The current company will pick up miscellaneous stuff like the broken old
string trimmers I found in the garage. Pretty much anything if it's not
too big without charging extra. I haven't had to put furniture by the
street in a very long time. LOL

For recycling, I drive those things to the recycle center. I would have
had to do that with the big conglomerate trash pickup companies, too.

Lawn clippings/branches are disposed of by the man who does my yard
work. This time of year there isn't much of it.

2022-01-06 04:49:14 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
[...]
Jill
Yikes, and I complained about city trash service (mandatory) that bills
$22.90 as a line item on my water bill. If the trash service was not
mandatory with the water bill in my area, and the cheapest company
charged $37/month, for the one 13 gallon bag of trash that I put out per
week (which isn't recycle), I would either do as Thomas does in public
trash cans (LOL) or burn that bag each week. Just don't break out the
s'mores for that fire ;)