Trash Pickup Service and Fees (was: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY)
2022-01-02 19:00:02 UTC
I spent the day getting my 2022 wall calendar filled in with doctor
and eye doctor appointments and recycle days written in.
Exciting stuff. What about street sweeping days? I look at
calendars about twice a month. I'll forgot about anything I record
on/in a calendar.
We get garbage picked up once a week here and we're also provided
with a recycling bin. Recyclables are collected once a month on a
specific date for my area of the city.
36 Gallon brush/composting bin
64 Gallon Trash Can
96 Gallon Recycling bin

All picked up weekly. Plus we can put out extra brush cans, piles of
recyclables, and recyclable bags of brush and/or leaves every week.
Twice a year we have large item and large brush pickups (4 total).

Out of curiosity, I compared what we pay $31.45/month for what y0ou
pay almost the same price:

You only get 4X a year brush collection, recycling only 12X/year, no
large trash collection (fridges, couches) plus you have pay for
replacement cans/carts at $50/pop while ours are mostly free (within
reason(*))

Both for $32/month. Fort Worth for the Win!

[OTOH, we pay more for the water leaving our houses (wastewater)
than we do for the supposedly potable water that enters our homes]

What do otheras pay monthly for trash services and at what level?

All lined up and ready to go tonight:

(*) I accidentally set my 96gal recycling bin afire with the 50lb
Lazzari lump charcoal when I was smoking some ribs one fateful day -
melted it into a lump of plastic with wheels. I was able to put the
OLD, melted lump of a recycling bin into the NEW recycling bin for
recycling. Heh - If we're paying for recycling, then why should we
have to pay for an old can to be recycled into a new can? Right?!

And also got a replacement for wear and tear on the 64gal trash can
just last month - also for free. The trash truck came and emptied
the trash within it and a half hour later the recycling truck picked
up the empty can and released it into to its hopper rather than
setting it back out for re-use. A new replacement cart/can came a
couple hours later. Pretty efficient, IMHO.

2022-01-02 19:07:34 UTC
https://i.postimg.cc/mZdrYjpy/Trash-Cans.jpg
(*) I accidentally set my 96gal recycling bin afire with the 50lb
Lazzari lump charcoal when I was smoking some ribs one fateful day -
melted it into a lump of plastic with wheels. I was able to put the
OLD, melted lump of a recycling bin into the NEW recycling bin for
recycling. Heh - If we're paying for recycling, then why should we
have to pay for an old can to be recycled into a new can? Right?!
And also got a replacement for wear and tear on the 64gal trash can
just last month - also for free. The trash truck came and emptied
the trash within it and a half hour later the recycling truck picked
up the empty can and released it into to its hopper rather than
setting it back out for re-use. A new replacement cart/can came a
couple hours later. Pretty efficient, IMHO.
-sw
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Bruce
Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Bruce
This is not my frogger.
Graham
2022-01-02 19:38:21 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
I spent the day getting my 2022 wall calendar filled in with doctor
and eye doctor appointments and recycle days written in.
Exciting stuff. What about street sweeping days? I look at
calendars about twice a month. I'll forgot about anything I record
on/in a calendar.
We get garbage picked up once a week here and we're also provided
with a recycling bin. Recyclables are collected once a month on a
specific date for my area of the city.
36 Gallon brush/composting bin
64 Gallon Trash Can
96 Gallon Recycling bin
All picked up weekly. Plus we can put out extra brush cans, piles of
recyclables, and recyclable bags of brush and/or leaves every week.
Twice a year we have large item and large brush pickups (4 total).
We have 3 bins, all the same size, for recyclables, organics and garbage
respectively. The first is collected weekly but during the winter months
the organics bin is collected fortnightly. The general garbage bin is
fortnightly, year-round.
Bruce
2022-01-02 19:45:16 UTC
Post by Graham
[...]
Tactile buttons, knobs and sliders. Am I the only person who thinks touchscreens look and feel cheap? Many
cars now are even replacing the analog instruments with LCD screens with drawings of analog instruments, which
is just perplexingly stupid looking, and completely counter to the reasons why analog prevailed in popularity over t
he digital gauges of 30+ years ago.

I think cars kinda peaked in still useful to this date features by the mid to late 90s, anything new since then
seems grossly unnecessary, gimmicky or detrimental to the operation of a motor vehicle. But I do like some
trivial things like dedicated USB slots for chargers, Bluetooth pairing and I don’t particularly dislike the keyless
systems(though I don’t care much for it when the fob battery dies).

I don’t miss cassette or CD players, power antennas, ash trays and cigarette lighters (especially when there’s only one)
Ophelia
2022-01-02 21:43:03 UTC
[...]
My friend's car has touchscreen controls. You can control the power flow to the wheels, control the traction schemes, control the active suspension, pick between preset programs for transmission shifting. You can set it up to give metrics on the car's performance and monitor engine status. The reality is that you're going to need a multi-function display with a touch screen if you want to diddle around with all the computer controlled capabilities available to your modern car.
WOW!! Does this mean you can sleep during thr journey???
Bruce
Sqwertz
2022-01-02 23:46:07 UTC
Tactile buttons, knobs and sliders....
My friend's car has touchscreen controls....
David's "superior powerz of perception" never cease to amaze.

2022-01-03 00:13:33 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Tactile buttons, knobs and sliders....
My friend's car has touchscreen controls....
David's "superior powerz of perception" never cease to amaze.
Dave "Pickleball" Smith is a Master Stater of the Obvious. Also, his
posts are always 5 times longer than they need to be and he has too
many friends.
Gary
2022-01-03 12:37:36 UTC
My friend's car has touchscreen controls. You can control the power flow to the wheels, control the traction schemes, control the active suspension, pick between preset programs for transmission shifting. You can set it up to give metrics on the car's performance and monitor engine status. The reality is that you're going to need a multi-function display with a touch screen if you want to diddle around with all the computer controlled capabilities available to your modern car.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Does he ever get time to pay
attention to his driving?
Bruce 1
2022-01-04 04:11:25 UTC