REC: Jill's Meatloaf
2022-01-08 15:35:55 UTC
I'm thinking about making this for dinner tonight.

2 lbs. ground beef or meatloaf mixture (gr. beef, pork & veal)
1 small yellow onion, minced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 bell pepper, seeded and well chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. quick cooking (not instant) rolled oats*
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. bottled cocktail sauce

Sautee the vegetables in a bit of butter until tender. Add veggies to
the ground meat along with the other ingredients. Smoosh it all
together until well blended. Form into a loaf and place on a rack in a
roasting pan. Bake at 350F for 1 hour. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

*Some folks will say "ewwwww" to the oatmeal as a binder. Use whatever
binder you wish. Crushed saltines, fresh bread crumbs, etc. It's the
addition of cheese and cocktail sauce that make this a really tasty
meatloaf.

Of course, the purists can make their own cocktail sauce by combining
ketchup with prepared horseradish (not horseradish sauce). Note this
goes *into* the loaf mixture, not slathered on top. :)

So could beer.
Dave Smith
2022-01-08 18:30:33 UTC
On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 10:26:48 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
Post by bruce bowser
Post by jmcquown
[...]
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
2022-01-08 23:10:49 UTC
[...]
Jill
That looks good! I've never heard of oatmeal as a binder. It's been a
few years since I've made a meatloaf; I typically would use breadcrumbs.
Never heard of one with cheese either; grandma made them plain, but
with ketchup/mustard on top before baking (or a bit of brown sugar with
ketchup).
I always put some shredded cheese in, also some diced sautéed shrooms...

And following up to bb's point, a glug or two of dark beer is good, too...
2022-01-09 04:04:12 UTC
On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 15:10:49 -0800 (PST), GM
[...]
Uhm, Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
2022-01-08 23:27:01 UTC
[...]
This is my own concoction. If I do say so myself, quite tasty!

I don't have any idea if either of my grandmother's made meatloaf. My
mother made the worst meatloaf in the world. Ground beef with some
minced onions, eggs, crushed saltine crackers, S&P. That's it. She
literally baked it in a bread loaf pan, so it was swimming in grease yet
somehow always managed to be very dry. No, she didn't use the drippings
to make a gravy.

I'm not a fan of meatloaf topped with ketchup. Glazes, especially those
involving sugar, on meatloaf don't interest me. Hence the use of
cocktail sauce (ketchup with prepared horseradish) *in* the mixture. It
gives it a bit of kick and also helps keep it moist. The shredded
cheese adds a bit more interest. :)

Following recipes exactly might lead to that result. They perfected it to produce very little grease.
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 12:15:52 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Post by jmcquown
[...]
That would be "lean ground beef"... no grease leftover and basically
tasteless.
jmcquown
2022-01-09 13:24:16 UTC
[...]
LOL If that's the result I was after I'd use my mom's "recipe". ;)

2022-01-09 22:36:29 UTC
That would be "lean ground beef"... no grease leftover and basically
tasteless.
Here's a meatloaf that was stuffed with braised pork and zucchini. It was pretty awful!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m3MEB6b1TQUp7axEA
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 23:19:15 UTC