COPHA - any substitute for?
t***@gmail.com
2014-09-18 13:23:27 UTC
I just stumbled across this forum as I was looking for COPHA substitutes, only to find that Crisco and other products are NOT the way to go. Been using cocoa butter myself, but wanted to try this COPHA out once. The website that was previously listed is a dead link. I did, however, find their new and improved online store that sells COPHA. They even have an app !! Woot Woot.

Check it: https://www.simplyoz.com

Hope this helps out at least one person, if not more. :-)
t***@gmail.com
2014-09-18 13:25:25 UTC
Just saw the dates of the previous postings ... 18 years ago !!!

LMFAO and FML.

Will anyone EVER see this?
k***@gmail.com
2014-12-18 02:05:31 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Will anyone EVER see this?
I did lol

does cocoa butter actually work as a sub?
a***@gmail.com
I saw it, another 4 years on. Lol. So funny reading a thread and realising it is 22 years old. I had searched for copha to see if there is a substitute and ended up here. I Live in Australia so I can buy copha any time and grew up having chocolate crackles at parties and cake stall fundraising events. I didn't realise copha is an Australian thing. Maybe copha is now available in other countries? When I saw the substitutes people mentioned here I cringed and can imagine how awful they would have tasted. Well done though for being inventive and having a go. You need copha to make Chocolate crackles and I don't think there is a substitute (but I also haven't read the rest of the thread). I had a giggle when the person said "are they really worth it? " They ARE really nice and so easy to make but if you have had to go to so much trouble to get copha, maybe they won't seem worth it in the end?
cshenk

Welcome to bedlam! Now, what the heck is copha?
p***@aol.com
Coconut fat.
dsi1
Copha is a brand of hydrogenated coconut oil. It's similar to Crisco except that Crisco is made from soybean and palm oil. Both Copha and Crisco are hydrogenated which makes the oils solid at room temperatures and improves their shelf life. Coconut oil is pretty hot in the US so there might be a market for Copha.
Bruce
2018-12-24 01:04:28 UTC
Post by cshenk
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
I wonder if that means it's transfat, the only fat everybody agrees is
bad for you. Even the kooks agree.
Julie Bove
2018-12-29 08:36:33 UTC
Post by cshenk
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated are both bad. Not sure what
Chocolate Crinkles are but I have made cookies with that name. I likely used
margarine.
Bruce
Denmark has banned transfats.
cshenk
[...]