Horrifying discovery
Add Reply
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-11-22 07:55:42 UTC
A few weeks ago, I bought some caramel sundae syrup. I occasionally like
ice cream sundaes with caramel syrup, chocolate syrup and either walnut
or pecan pieces. I add a Maraschino cherry if I have any.
Last night, to my horror, I found that the caramel syrup was
sugar-free. It tasted real!
Sugar-free is against my principles. I really, really have to pay more
attention to labeling.

leo
Michael Trew
2021-11-22 17:42:34 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
A few weeks ago, I bought some caramel sundae syrup. I occasionally like
ice cream sundaes with caramel syrup, chocolate syrup and either walnut
or pecan pieces. I add a Maraschino cherry if I have any.
Last night, to my horror, I found that the caramel syrup was
sugar-free. It tasted real!
Sugar-free is against my principles. I really, really have to pay more
attention to labeling.
leo
I can't say that I've ever had "sugar free" caramel, but I can always,
immediately spot the taste difference when fake sweetener is used. I am
against wasting food, but that stuff would go straight into the trash.
odlayo
2021-11-22 18:59:59 UTC
What brand was it? Seems like it would be difficult to make
caramel without sugar.
Food chemists love a challenge. I'd be rather surprised if it was made without any ingredients closely related to sugars. For example, the first five ingredients in Smucker's Sugar Free Caramel Flavored Syrup are maltodextrin (a polymer of glucose, a sugar), water, maltitol syrup (a sugar alcohol), glycerin, and sorbitol (another sugar alcohol). I guess those sweeteners aren't technically sugars, so the label's "sugar free" designation is technically true. Maltodextrin actually has a much higher glycemic index than sucrose (table sugar) so it's not good for those watching their sugar intake. Also those four sweeteners can cause diarrhea, and indeed the Smucker's label carries a warning about that. Take it easy, Leo!
Michael Trew
2021-11-23 03:59:57 UTC
Post by odlayo
What brand was it? Seems like it would be difficult to make
caramel without sugar.
Food chemists love a challenge. I'd be rather surprised if it was made without any ingredients closely related to sugars. For example, the first five ingredients in Smucker's Sugar Free Caramel Flavored Syrup are maltodextrin (a polymer of glucose, a sugar), water, maltitol syrup (a sugar alcohol), glycerin, and sorbitol (another sugar alcohol). I guess those sweeteners aren't technically sugars, so the label's "sugar free" designation is technically true. Maltodextrin actually has a much higher glycemic index than sucrose (table sugar) so it's not good for those watching their sugar intake. Also those four sweeteners can cause diarrhea, and indeed the Smucker's label carries a warning about that. Take it easy, Leo!
That was actually quite an embarrassing issue with sugar free gummy
bears... lol
Sheldon Martin
2021-11-23 13:20:18 UTC
On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 22:59:57 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Michael Trew
Post by odlayo
[...]
There are all sorts of sugar free items, especially candies, all easy
to produce. There are many artificial sweeteners and many plant based
thickeners. I've been using sugar free cough drops for years, advice
from my dentist; sucking hard candies will rot your teeth. All the
major cough drop brands make a sugar free version.
Michael Trew
2021-11-24 17:55:11 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
Post by odlayo
[...]
Any time you have sugar, ESPECIALLY SODA, rinse your mouth out with
water afterward. Knock on wood, but I never get cavities. I don't ever
drink sugary drinks, rarely hard candy, and I regularly drink water
through the day. No sugar in coffee or tea. Rinse your mouth out after
each time you eat.
Bruce
2021-11-22 19:01:04 UTC
On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 07:30:38 -0800 (PST), bruce bowser
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
A few weeks ago, I bought some caramel sundae syrup. I occasionally like
ice cream sundaes with caramel syrup, chocolate syrup and either walnut
or pecan pieces. I add a Maraschino cherry if I have any.
Last night, to my horror, I found that the caramel syrup was
sugar-free. It tasted real!
What brand was it? Seems like it would be difficult to make
caramel without sugar.
The food processing industry has really come a long way since the 70s.
A long way away from food.
Bruce
Many men could be charged for transporting a deadly weapon across State lines, simply by having their wives in the car!
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-11-24 16:01:22 UTC
What brand was it? Seems like it would be difficult to make
caramel without sugar.
Smuckers.

leo
Dave Smith
2021-11-24 16:07:14 UTC
I wonder what weird chemical concoction substitutes for the sugar.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-24 16:11:05 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
What brand was it? Seems like it would be difficult to make
caramel without sugar.
Smuckers.
I wonder what weird chemical concoction substitutes for the sugar.
Maltodextrin, Water, Maltitol Syrup, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Nonfat Milk, Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Artificial Flavor, Salt, Caramel Color, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phosphate, Sucralose (Non Nutritive Sweetener), Yellow 6, Red 40.

For sweetness: maltitol, sorbitol, sucralose

For "texture": maltodextrin, glycerin and nonfat milk

I can't wait.
Hank Rogers
2021-11-24 19:08:14 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
What brand was it? Seems like it would be difficult to make
caramel without sugar.
Smuckers.
I wonder what weird chemical concoction substitutes for the sugar.
Maltodextrin, Water, Maltitol Syrup, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Nonfat Milk, Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Artificial Flavor, Salt, Caramel Color, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Citrate, Sodium Phosphate, Sucralose (Non Nutritive Sweetener), Yellow 6, Red 40.
For sweetness: maltitol, sorbitol, sucralose
For "texture": maltodextrin, glycerin and nonfat milk
I can't wait.
Damn, master. She beat you to the ingredient punch.

Yoose slipping.

Bruce
2021-11-24 17:47:17 UTC
On 24 Nov 2021 16:01:22 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
What brand was it? Seems like it would be difficult to make
caramel without sugar.
Smuckers.
What a name.