When did Brussels Sprouts become a Thanksgiving "thing"?
jmcquown
2021-11-25 15:53:32 UTC
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.

I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.

Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?

Jill
songbird
2021-11-25 16:13:43 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
not for us.

we do like them at times, but not for TG.

songbird
Bryan Simmons
2021-11-25 16:58:51 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
not for us.
we do like them at times, but not for TG.
If someone brought brussels sprouts onto the Thanksgiving table, the
appropriate response would be:

I'm outta here.

What's wrong?

No appetite now. You just brought out those nasty things.
They smell like vomit. It's almost like you brought out a
bowl, and vomited into it. The whole room smells like
vomit now, and I can't eat in a room that smells like vomit.
Post by songbird
songbird
--Bryan
jmcquown
2021-11-25 16:59:40 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprouts [corrected typo myself] in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
not for us.
we do like them at times, but not for TG.
songbird
Good to know, thanks. It was never a tradition in our house for holiday
meals.

Jill
i***@webtv.net
2021-11-25 17:17:19 UTC
Post by songbird
not for us.
songbird
Not for us either. Now that's something to be truly thankful for!
GM
2021-11-25 17:26:38 UTC
Post by songbird
not for us.
songbird
Not for us either. Now that's something to be truly thankful for!
If they're good, they're great, if not, they're GHASTLY...

I usually buy frozen, Trader Joe's has some nice small ones in a bag - AND
they are imported from BELGIUM...!!!

[ not that *that* means anything... ]
GM
Bryan Simmons
2021-11-25 18:00:14 UTC
Post by GM
Post by songbird
not for us.
songbird
Not for us either. Now that's something to be truly thankful for!
If they're good, they're great, if not, they're GHASTLY...
I usually buy frozen, Trader Joe's has some nice small ones in a bag - AND
they are imported from BELGIUM...!!!
[ not that *that* means anything... ]
Luciferous vegetables of any kind have no place on the
Thanksgiving table, where we celebrate the providence
of the New World being delivered unto the hands of
civilized Western Europeans, that through our hard work
and ingenuity we might bring forth its bounteous
potential. ; )
Post by GM
--
GM
--Bryan
i***@webtv.net
2021-11-25 18:45:27 UTC
Post by Bryan Simmons
Lucifer
--Bryan
Lucifer is correct!!
Dave Smith
2021-11-25 18:20:56 UTC
No matter their state of freshness/cooking they're always ghastly
to me.
I hated them for years. Roasting has not been very successful, not like
it was with parsnip. However, simply boiling them until there is just a
little crunch left in them they are delicious. Cook them until they are
soft and they taste nasty.
i***@webtv.net
2021-11-25 18:50:23 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
I hated them for years. Roasting has not been very successful, not like
it was with parsnip. However, simply boiling them until there is just a
little crunch left in them they are delicious. Cook them until they are
soft and they taste nasty.
Last year my neighbor across the alley had a cookout for three. The man
brought a bowl of Brussel sprouts slaw and I will admit it was delicious.
It was tasty enough that I had a second helping. It had absolutely no
Brussel sprout taste but it was crisp and I think it had a smidge of lemon
or it might have been orange but neither left a definitive or overpowering
taste either.
jmcquown
2021-11-26 16:13:36 UTC
Post by i***@webtv.net
Post by Dave Smith
I hated them for years. Roasting has not been very successful, not like
it was with parsnip. However, simply boiling them until there is just a
little crunch left in them they are delicious. Cook them until they are
soft and they taste nasty.
Last year my neighbor across the alley had a cookout for three. The man
brought a bowl of Brussel sprouts slaw and I will admit it was delicious.
It was tasty enough that I had a second helping. It had absolutely no
Brussel sprout taste but it was crisp and I think it had a smidge of lemon
or it might have been orange but neither left a definitive or overpowering
taste either.
You didn't ask for the recipe?!

Jill
songbird
2021-11-26 15:30:02 UTC
Dave Smith wrote:
Post by Dave Smith
I hated them for years. Roasting has not been very successful, not like
it was with parsnip. However, simply boiling them until there is just a
little crunch left in them they are delicious. Cook them until they are
soft and they taste nasty.
i like them raw or very lightly steamed the best.

i can eat them cooked, boiled, roasted or whatever but
to me the more mushy they are the less i'll like them.

songbird
Dave Smith
2021-11-26 15:59:39 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by Dave Smith
I hated them for years. Roasting has not been very successful, not like
it was with parsnip. However, simply boiling them until there is just a
little crunch left in them they are delicious. Cook them until they are
soft and they taste nasty.
i like them raw or very lightly steamed the best.
i can eat them cooked, boiled, roasted or whatever but
to me the more mushy they are the less i'll like them.
My taste buds tell me that when they are mushy they taste horrible.
Since so many people consider vegetables to be cooked when they are soft
I can see why so many people dislike Brussels Sprouts.
bruce bowser
Farm salesmen probably encouraged growing the wrong crops and now they're trying to push their mistakes onto the stores and customers during holidays? That's the only excuse I can think of.
Gary
2021-11-27 12:15:22 UTC
Farm salesmen? heh heh
odlayo
2021-12-04 01:29:15 UTC
Post by GM
I usually buy frozen, Trader Joe's has some nice small ones in a bag - AND
they are imported from BELGIUM...!!!
[ not that *that* means anything... ]
I like most of Trader Joe's frozen veggies, even those sprouts from Belgium, but don't consider them to be near the top of their offerings. Have you tried the fresh ones, sold on the stalk, at TJ's? They're a seasonal item, showing up a little before Thanksgiving every year. I need to get myself a stalk before they disappear. They're good.

Stalks of Sprouts at TJ's
https://postimg.cc/zV3HK4wX
GM
2021-12-04 01:39:24 UTC
Post by odlayo
Post by GM
I usually buy frozen, Trader Joe's has some nice small ones in a bag - AND
they are imported from BELGIUM...!!!
[ not that *that* means anything... ]
I like most of Trader Joe's frozen veggies, even those sprouts from Belgium, but don't consider them to be near the top of their offerings. Have you tried the fresh ones, sold on the stalk, at TJ's? They're a seasonal item, showing up a little before Thanksgiving every year. I need to get myself a stalk before they disappear. They're good.
Stalks of Sprouts at TJ's
https://postimg.cc/zV3HK4wX
Will check it out, thanks...!!!
GM
odlayo
2021-12-04 03:37:41 UTC
Post by GM
Post by odlayo
Stalks of Sprouts at TJ's
https://postimg.cc/zV3HK4wX
Will check it out, thanks...!!!
Don't wait too long! Here today, gone tomorrow.

One of TJ's recommendations is roasting the whole stalk in the oven. That works pretty well (you can crank up the heat at the end to give 'em some color) and makes for an impressive presentation. Everyone oohs and ahs at the Thanksgiving table when you slice off sprouts like you're carving a turkey. But I've had a hard time getting seasonings to stick. Probably the answer is serving them with a dipping sauce (at Thanksgiving that'd be turkey gravy for the carnivores). I usually oven-roast half the stalk and sear/braise the rest of the individual sprouts (often with onion, hard cider, and grainy mustard). However you do it, it's fun to try at least once.
GM
2021-12-04 03:45:37 UTC
Post by odlayo
Post by GM
Post by odlayo
Stalks of Sprouts at TJ's
https://postimg.cc/zV3HK4wX
Will check it out, thanks...!!!
Don't wait too long! Here today, gone tomorrow.
One of TJ's recommendations is roasting the whole stalk in the oven. That works pretty well (you can crank up the heat at the end to give 'em some color) and makes for an impressive presentation. Everyone oohs and ahs at the Thanksgiving table when you slice off sprouts like you're carving a turkey. But I've had a hard time getting seasonings to stick. Probably the answer is serving them with a dipping sauce (at Thanksgiving that'd be turkey gravy for the carnivores). I usually oven-roast half the stalk and sear/braise the rest of the individual sprouts (often with onion, hard cider, and grainy mustard). However you do it, it's fun to try at least once.
Wow, thanks for all the info and tips, will drop by there tomorrow or so...
GM
dsi1
I'd spray the Brussel sprouts with cooking spray and then season. Ironically, you spray it with some non-stick spray to get stuff to stick.
GM
2021-12-04 04:33:33 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by odlayo
Post by GM
Post by odlayo
[...]
You need to practice self - compassion...

A Haiku: By Candlelight

"Yellow flame flickers
Shadows dance upon the wall
Love grows ever strong..."
GM
dsi1
2021-12-04 17:50:33 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by odlayo
Post by GM
Post by odlayo
[...]
Hm, I'd have never considered that use for it. My parents always bought
cooking spray in a can like PAM. It seemed like an unnecessary extra
expense to me, since I have butter/oil, so I never bought it.
You could use a brush and paint your sprouts with oil. Spraying is a lot faster.
jmcquown
2021-12-04 18:07:34 UTC
Post by dsi1
Post by odlayo
Post by GM
Post by odlayo
[...]
You can buy oil spritzers and not use "cooking spray". Or simply brush
with oil or melted butter.

Jill
jmcquown
2021-11-25 17:38:54 UTC
Post by i***@webtv.net
Post by songbird
not for us.
songbird
Not for us either. Now that's something to be truly thankful for!
LOL! I know, you don't like them. I don't like the large tough bitter
ones I see for sale. I especially disliked the Green Giant brand my
mother bought when I was a kid, "in butter sauce". I think it was a
boil-in-bag thing because no one had microwave ovens at that time. Oh
no. They were awful!

I'm picky about brussels sprouts. I won't buy a bag of them. I select
the smallest ones and know what to look for. I'm not trying to convince
you to like brussels sprouts. I do know we never had them with
Thanksgiving dinner. :)

Jill
Sheldon Martin
2021-11-25 19:47:35 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
We are having brussels sprouts with our turkey dinner soon, frozen
sprouts. We usually have our own home grown fresh but weather didn't
cooperate this year.
Hank Rogers
Invite jill over. Yoose could have a threesome.
Jeßus
Marketing?
Janet
2021-11-25 22:32:05 UTC
In article <2kOnJ.72542$***@fx44.iad>, ***@comcast.net
says...
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
Maybe an import, sprouts are a traditional veg with UK Christmas
dinner turkey

Janet UK
Bryan Simmons
2021-11-25 22:55:42 UTC
Post by Janet
says...
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
Maybe an import, sprouts are a traditional veg with UK Christmas
dinner turkey
Five things from the New World that caught on quickly around the
world are chilis, tomatoes, corn, potatoes and turkeys.
Post by Janet
Janet UK
--Bryan
Bruce
And crappy hamburgers.
Bryan Simmons
2021-11-26 00:51:15 UTC
Post by Bryan Simmons
Post by Janet
Maybe an import, sprouts are a traditional veg with UK Christmas
dinner turkey
Five things from the New World that caught on quickly around the
world are chilis, tomatoes, corn, potatoes and turkeys.
And crappy hamburgers.
So go the extra mile to the place with the great hamburgers. No
one is forcing you to eat at Hungry Jack's.

--Bryan
Bruce
2021-11-26 01:09:16 UTC
Post by Bryan Simmons
Post by Janet
Maybe an import, sprouts are a traditional veg with UK Christmas
dinner turkey
Five things from the New World that caught on quickly around the
world are chilis, tomatoes, corn, potatoes and turkeys.
And crappy hamburgers.
So go the extra mile to the place with the great hamburgers. No
one is forcing you to eat at Hungry Jack's.
But the US isn't famous for hamburgers but for crappy hamburgers. The
whole fast food drama.
Hank Rogers
Is that why you love to sniff americans asses, master?
GM
2021-11-26 02:52:07 UTC
Post by Bryan Simmons
Post by Janet
Maybe an import, sprouts are a traditional veg with UK Christmas
dinner turkey
Five things from the New World that caught on quickly around the
world are chilis, tomatoes, corn, potatoes and turkeys.
And crappy hamburgers.
So go the extra mile to the place with the great hamburgers. No
one is forcing you to eat at Hungry Jack's.
But the US isn't famous for hamburgers but for crappy hamburgers. The
whole fast food drama.
Is that why you love to sniff americans asses, master?
She's had QUITE the Thanksgiving Day of sniffing, trolling, frogging, and forging...
GM
Gary
2021-11-26 13:20:00 UTC
Post by Bryan Simmons
Post by Janet
Maybe an import, sprouts are a traditional veg with UK Christmas
dinner turkey
Five things from the New World that caught on quickly around the
world are chilis, tomatoes, corn, potatoes and turkeys.
And crappy hamburgers.
No. there is nothing crappy about a hamburger.
Even you liked them up until you got married and the wife made you stop.
Bruce
2021-11-26 16:32:56 UTC
Post by Bryan Simmons
Post by Janet
Maybe an import, sprouts are a traditional veg with UK Christmas
dinner turkey
Five things from the New World that caught on quickly around the
world are chilis, tomatoes, corn, potatoes and turkeys.
And crappy hamburgers.
No. there is nothing crappy about a hamburger.
Even you liked them up until you got married and the wife made you stop.
McDonalds hamburgers were very easy to eat. Also because of the rolls,
it was a bit as if someone else had already pre-eaten them and then
given them to you. Most of the chewing had already been done.
Gary
2021-11-27 11:18:32 UTC
lol. That's something to think about next time I go there. ;)
John Kuthe
2021-11-26 00:11:13 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
Dunno, but to me, Brussels Sprouts all taste unpleasantly bitter.

No they were never part of our Thanksgivings.

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Gary
2021-11-26 13:45:29 UTC
Post by John Kuthe
Dunno, but to me, Brussels Sprouts all taste unpleasantly bitter.
No they were never part of our Thanksgivings.
I've only had brussel sprouts twice.
First time when I was about age 45 and on a strict 1000 calorie a day
(the Scarsdale diet). That was on a lunch menu and they were so good.
They were just steamed.

Later (when not on a diet) I tried them steamed again and splat. I guess
I was so hungry the first time, any food tasted good.

Since then...Jill's cooking method and also some cooking show methods
sound worth trying again. Cut in half, oiled and browned either in the
oven, frying pan, or grilled.

I'll try them more time someday.
Bruce
2021-11-26 16:35:25 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by John Kuthe
Dunno, but to me, Brussels Sprouts all taste unpleasantly bitter.
No they were never part of our Thanksgivings.
I've only had brussel sprouts twice.
First time when I was about age 45 and on a strict 1000 calorie a day
(the Scarsdale diet). That was on a lunch menu and they were so good.
They were just steamed.
Later (when not on a diet) I tried them steamed again and splat. I guess
I was so hungry the first time, any food tasted good.
Since then...Jill's cooking method and also some cooking show methods
sound worth trying again. Cut in half, oiled and browned either in the
oven, frying pan, or grilled.
That's how we have them, pan fried. They're nice. Just the slightest
bit bitter still. Garlic and onion in the same pan. And if you want to
go fancy: chestnuts cut in half.

Of course, I add chilli peppers to everything.
dsi1
2021-11-26 19:35:41 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by Gary
Post by John Kuthe
Dunno, but to me, Brussels Sprouts all taste unpleasantly bitter.
No they were never part of our Thanksgivings.
I've only had brussel sprouts twice.
First time when I was about age 45 and on a strict 1000 calorie a day
(the Scarsdale diet). That was on a lunch menu and they were so good.
They were just steamed.
Later (when not on a diet) I tried them steamed again and splat. I guess
I was so hungry the first time, any food tasted good.
Since then...Jill's cooking method and also some cooking show methods
sound worth trying again. Cut in half, oiled and browned either in the
oven, frying pan, or grilled.
That's how we have them, pan fried. They're nice. Just the slightest
bit bitter still. Garlic and onion in the same pan. And if you want to
go fancy: chestnuts cut in half.
Of course, I add chilli peppers to everything.
I don't have any problem with bitter. I have stir-fried Brussel sprouts as well as deep fried it. I like it burnt all to hell.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V5fMgudpT1sc4ZhW8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1DALLqJ4Vz3QAAiR6
GM
GM
Jeßus
2021-11-26 20:19:12 UTC
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 11:35:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
Post by dsi1
Post by Bruce
Post by Gary
Post by John Kuthe
[...]
That's similar to how I like them, although I prefer them halved and
cooked in garlic butter.
Michael Trew
2021-11-26 06:57:33 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his post
about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family tradition
for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
No, I've never heard of it. Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
heyjoe
2021-11-26 13:55:51 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
Huh? How did USAsians get fresh asparagus at the end of November?
Don't think it was possible until international air travel made
hauling produce a reality (some time after 1919).
--
American institutions are telling the American public what they
clearly see and understand to be true, is in fact - not true.

For example - Inflation is only "temporary"
The withdrawal from Afghanistan was an "extraordinary success"
The "Build Back Better agenda costs zero dollars"
Let's go Brandon
jmcquown
2021-11-26 16:23:33 UTC
Post by heyjoe
Post by Michael Trew
Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
Huh? How did USAsians get fresh asparagus at the end of November?
Don't think it was possible until international air travel made
hauling produce a reality (some time after 1919).
It must be a fairly new trend. I never heard of brussels sprouts with
Thanksgiving dinner and certainly not asparagus, until recently.

Jill
Michael Trew
2021-11-26 17:45:51 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
Huh? How did USAsians get fresh asparagus at the end of November?
Don't think it was possible until international air travel made
hauling produce a reality (some time after 1919).
It must be a fairly new trend. I never heard of brussels sprouts with
Thanksgiving dinner and certainly not asparagus, until recently.
Jill
I noticed it due to the volume of fresh asparagus in the grocery store,
that normally is not here this time of year. I found it a bit
off-putting, honestly.
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-11-28 08:17:38 UTC
Post by jmcquown
It must be a fairly new trend. I never heard of brussels sprouts with
Thanksgiving dinner and certainly not asparagus, until recently.
I have no idea when I started using brussels sprouts for Thanksgiving
and Christmas, but I do. Maybe I got the idea from here or cooking shows
on TV, twenty five years ago. My parent's didn't cook them. We like them
twice a year. From down-thread, we eat asparagus often.

Thanksgiving: turkey, brussels sprouts and fixin's
Christmas: expensive beef, Yorkshire pudding, brussels sprouts and fixin's
New Years: finger foods
St. Pat's Day: corned beef and cabbage
Easter: Ham and potato salad

That's the extent of our food traditions. I really enjoy the day after
Easter ;)

leo
Dave Smith
2021-11-26 15:04:51 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family tradition
for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
No, I've never heard of it.  Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
I don't know how fresh asparagus can be a traditional Thanksgiving dish
since it is an early spring crop.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-26 15:21:09 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Michael Trew
Post by jmcquown
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family tradition
for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
No, I've never heard of it. Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
I don't know how fresh asparagus can be a traditional Thanksgiving dish
since it is an early spring crop.
Traditional for young people, perhaps. Since the advent of cheap shipping
from South America to the U.S.

Oh, and it's elegant:
<https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/181655/thanksgiving-asparagus-casserole/>

Cindy Hamilton
jmcquown
2021-11-26 16:26:15 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Michael Trew
Post by jmcquown
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family tradition
for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
No, I've never heard of it. Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
I don't know how fresh asparagus can be a traditional Thanksgiving dish
since it is an early spring crop.
Traditional for young people, perhaps. Since the advent of cheap shipping
from South America to the U.S.
<https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/181655/thanksgiving-asparagus-casserole/>
Cindy Hamilton
LOL that recipe calls for canned asparagus so how "elegant" could it be?
I could see making something like that in the Spring using fresh
asparagus, though. :)

Jill
jmcquown
2021-11-26 16:24:16 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by jmcquown
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family tradition
for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
No, I've never heard of it.  Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
I don't know how fresh asparagus can be a traditional Thanksgiving dish
since it is an early spring  crop.
Even with modern transportation, asparagus found at this time of year
tends to be crappy.

Jill
Michael Trew
2021-11-26 17:46:57 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Michael Trew
Post by jmcquown
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family tradition
for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
No, I've never heard of it. Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
I don't know how fresh asparagus can be a traditional Thanksgiving dish
since it is an early spring crop.
I don't know either, but there's a large bin of it in my grocery store
(it's not a big store either). I found it a bit off-putting this time
of year, it's not what I expected to see for sure.
Jeßus
2021-11-26 18:47:01 UTC
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 10:04:51 -0500, Dave Smith
Post by Dave Smith
Post by jmcquown
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family tradition
for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
No, I've never heard of it.  Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
I don't know how fresh asparagus can be a traditional Thanksgiving dish
since it is an early spring crop.
Transport? It seems these days it's economic to send just about
anything anywhere, even using aircraft.
Dave Smith
2021-11-26 19:07:22 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
No, I've never heard of it.  Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
I don't know how fresh asparagus can be a traditional Thanksgiving dish
since it is an early spring crop.
Transport? It seems these days it's economic to send just about
anything anywhere, even using aircraft.
The question is the tradition. It is only in the last few decades that
it has been to get asparagus at this time of here, and it was so bad and
so expensive that most people would not bother with it. It is only in
the last few years that the imported product was good enough and cheap
enough be worth buying and cooking. The other traditional TDay
vegetables are those that were more readily available at this time of year.

That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to their
annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here. Our Thanksgiving is
about 6 weeks earlier than the American holiday. The weather is a hell
of a lot better. Besides, it gives that extra time between the two meals
where people are forced to like turkey.
jmcquown
2021-11-26 21:08:23 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to their
annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here.  Our Thanksgiving is
about 6 weeks earlier than the American holiday.  The weather is a hell
of a lot better. Besides, it gives that extra time between the two meals
where people are forced to like turkey.
Considering it's about 65F outside today I don't know what the weather
has to do with it. ;) Aside from that, no one will ever force me to
like turkey.

Jill
Bruce
A brave statement.
Hank Rogers
2021-11-27 01:52:19 UTC
Post by Bruce
Post by jmcquown
Aside from that, no one will ever force me to like turkey.
A brave statement.
She's a strong woman, Master.

Go ahead and sniff her ass. She won't kick your sorry ass.
GM
2021-11-27 01:57:03 UTC
Post by Hank Rogers
Post by Bruce
Post by jmcquown
Aside from that, no one will ever force me to like turkey.
A brave statement.
She's a strong woman, Master.
Go ahead and sniff her ass. She won't kick your sorry ass.
Jill doesn't even see Miss Bwuthie's replies to her every post, lol...
GM
cshenk
2021-11-27 22:58:57 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by Dave Smith
That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to
their annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here.  Our
Thanksgiving is about 6 weeks earlier than the American holiday.
The weather is a hell of a lot better. Besides, it gives that
extra time between the two meals where people are forced to like
turkey.
Considering it's about 65F outside today I don't know what the
weather has to do with it. ;) Aside from that, no one will ever
force me to like turkey.
Jill
Dave doesn't seem to get the latitudes involved? His is at harvest
time where he is and before the 'bad weather'. Ours is too.
Dave Smith
2021-11-28 00:01:53 UTC
Post by cshenk
Post by jmcquown
Post by Dave Smith
That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to
their annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here.  Our
Thanksgiving is about 6 weeks earlier than the American holiday.
The weather is a hell of a lot better. Besides, it gives that
extra time between the two meals where people are forced to like
turkey.
Considering it's about 65F outside today I don't know what the
weather has to do with it. ;) Aside from that, no one will ever
force me to like turkey.
Jill
Dave doesn't seem to get the latitudes involved? His is at harvest
time where he is and before the 'bad weather'. Ours is too.
I get the latitudes. I live in the south of Canada, about the same
latitude as much of the US.
Hank Rogers
2021-11-28 03:01:44 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by jmcquown
Post by Dave Smith
That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to
their  annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here.  Our
Thanksgiving is  about 6 weeks earlier than the American holiday.
The weather is a hell  of a lot better. Besides, it gives that
extra time between the two meals  where people are forced to like
turkey.
Considering it's about 65F outside today I don't know what the
weather has to do with it. ;)  Aside from that, no one will ever
force me to like turkey.
Jill
Dave doesn't seem to get the latitudes involved?  His is at harvest
time where he is and before the 'bad weather'.  Ours is too.
I get the latitudes. I live in the south of Canada, about the same
latitude as  much of the US.
Yeah, places like minesota, whizconsin, moontana. Almost all
canadians live bunched up within 70 miles of the US border. The
rest of canada is a frozen hinterland.

Florida is certainly about the same latitude as canada.

That's why it's so goddamned cold there.
cshenk
Try thin northern slice.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-29 09:55:37 UTC
Post by cshenk
Post by Dave Smith
Post by jmcquown
Post by Dave Smith
That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to
their annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here. Our
Thanksgiving is about 6 weeks earlier than the American
holiday. The weather is a hell of a lot better. Besides, it
gives that extra time between the two meals where people are
forced to like turkey.
Considering it's about 65F outside today I don't know what the
weather has to do with it. ;) Aside from that, no one will ever
force me to like turkey.
Jill
Dave doesn't seem to get the latitudes involved? His is at harvest
time where he is and before the 'bad weather'. Ours is too.
I get the latitudes. I live in the south of Canada, about the same
latitude as much of the US.
Try thin northern slice.
Let's picture the Pilgrims and Indians sitting around their mythical
table in Massachusetts. The harvest has been over for weeks and
they're all freezing their asses off.

Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-27 10:10:31 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to their
annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here. Our Thanksgiving is
about 6 weeks earlier than the American holiday. The weather is a hell
of a lot better. Besides, it gives that extra time between the two meals
where people are forced to like turkey.
Good one.

Some people like turkey. When I grocery-shop today, I'll look to see if they
have any frozen turkeys left, so I'll have one when we want to cook one
again in two or three months.

Cindy Hamliton
Gary
2021-11-27 13:02:21 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to their
annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here.  Our Thanksgiving is
about 6 weeks earlier than the American holiday.  The weather is a hell
of a lot better. Besides, it gives that extra time between the two meals
where people are forced to like turkey.
Forced to like turkey? lol, Dave.

I like turkey well enough. This time is when they happen to go on good
sales so I'll tend to buy this time of year.

Note: No animals were killed for my thanksgiving dinner this year.
jmcquown
2021-11-27 13:46:22 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by Dave Smith
That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to their
annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here.  Our Thanksgiving is
about 6 weeks earlier than the American holiday.  The weather is a
hell of a lot better. Besides, it gives that extra time between the
two meals where people are forced to like turkey.
Forced to like turkey? lol, Dave.
I like turkey well enough. This time is when they happen to go on good
sales so I'll tend to buy this time of year.
Note: No animals were killed for my thanksgiving dinner this year.
Did you eat at John's house? ;)

Jill
Jeßus
2021-11-27 19:14:29 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by Dave Smith
That being said. I think that Americans would be well advised to their
annual turkey fest that we call Thursday here.  Our Thanksgiving is
about 6 weeks earlier than the American holiday.  The weather is a hell
of a lot better. Besides, it gives that extra time between the two meals
where people are forced to like turkey.
Forced to like turkey? lol, Dave.
I like turkey well enough. This time is when they happen to go on good
sales so I'll tend to buy this time of year.
Note: No animals were killed for my thanksgiving dinner this year.
We don't celebrate thanksgiving and even if we did, I wouldn't
consider a turkey for a second.
jmcquown
2021-11-26 16:21:44 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his post
about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family tradition
for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
No, I've never heard of it.  Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
We never had asparagus at Thanksgiving, either.

Jill
Jeßus
2021-11-26 18:44:01 UTC
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 01:57:33 -0500, Michael Trew
Post by Michael Trew
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his post
about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family tradition
for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
No, I've never heard of it. Apparently fresh asparagus is a
Thanksgiving thing also, but that's another thing that we've never had.
I just noticed our asparagus spears poking through the ground this
week. Usually I forget to check them until it's too late and they get
too big, but not this time.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-11-26 10:58:56 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
It probably started with the fairly recent rehabilitation of brussels
sprouts by of Food Network chefs (who know enough not to boil them
gray) and a desire for something a little different (and more vegetables)
on the table at Thanksgiving.

I like them (and most other cruciferous vegetables) best when roasted or
browned in a pan (sliced in half works best for sprouts). Browning
brings a little sweetness to offset their inherent bitterness. That said,
some people have no tolerance for bitter flavors. It's just anatomy.
My husband's "bitter" receptors seem to be turned up to 11, and I've
always accommodated that.

Cindy Hamilton
US Janet
2021-11-26 16:49:47 UTC
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 02:58:56 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by jmcquown
[...]
I think some people taste bitter in things where others taste sweet. I
am one of the people who senses sweetness in vegetables, more in some
than others.
Janet US
odlayo
2021-12-04 03:00:39 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
It probably started with the fairly recent rehabilitation of brussels
sprouts by of Food Network chefs (who know enough not to boil them
gray) and a desire for something a little different (and more vegetables)
on the table at Thanksgiving.
I don't watch Food Network, so don't know about their sprout agenda, but I have little doubt if they've gotten heavy coverage recently that would certainly play into sprouts' popularity.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
I like them (and most other cruciferous vegetables) best when roasted or
browned in a pan (sliced in half works best for sprouts). Browning
brings a little sweetness to offset their inherent bitterness. That said,
some people have no tolerance for bitter flavors. It's just anatomy.
My husband's "bitter" receptors seem to be turned up to 11, and I've
always accommodated that.
I would argue one reason for chefs' newfound appreciation of Brussels sprouts is because the sprouts themselves have changed. Here's something I wrote six months ago in response to a similar comment of yours.

"It's partly the genetics of the taster, but also of the tastee; Brussels sprouts have been bred to be less bitter.

Starting in the 1990s, Dutch plant breeders began selecting spruitjes for varieties with significantly lower levels of bitter-tasting glucosinolates. About a decade ago these new cultivars hit the market and have been enthusiastically received.

Those who formed their opinions of the 'bitter little cabbages' decades ago might try to set those old opinions aside long enough to taste the sprouts of today. They're really good (but I'm probably genetically predisposed to like them).

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/10/30/773457637/from-culinary-dud-to-stud-how-dutch-plant-breeders-built-our-brussels-sprouts-bo "

Link to June 20, 2012 Post
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.food.cooking/c/gcWelbq_JS4/m/ijtw8zfjAQAJ
odlayo
2021-12-04 01:11:39 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
I don't think serving Brussels sprouts at Thanksgiving is anything new. If you look at old newspaper archives you can find mention of them in connection with Thanksgiving dinner in the late 19th century. Such mentions seem to increase around 1920, but I suspect that's largely because of the increase in newspaper food coverage around that time. My impression is that sprouts were never as popular as sweet potatoes, squash etc as Thanksgiving side dishes, but they were not uncommon for a long time..

It seems likely that serving sprouts for Thanksgiving in the early 20th century was dictated by what was available in the markets. Of course frozen vegetables were not available and I imagine home-canned Brussels sprouts were not among the most popular vegetables. It might well be partly a regional thing in the US: in the North sprouts are at their best around Thanksgiving, while a greater variety of produce was available in the South.
Geoff Rove
2021-12-04 19:02:10 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I noticed bags of fresh brussels sprouts (they didn't look all that
great) when I was picking up a few things at the grocery store last
week. Leo mentioned and even showed a pic of brussels sprits in his
post about prep being done.
I honestly cannot ever recall eating or being served brussels sprouts
with Thanksgiving dinner.
Don't get me wrong, I love brussels sprouts (as long as they aren't
large, old and wind up tasting bitter). I simply don't know when they
became a common side dish for Thanksgiving. It wasn't a family
tradition for us; is it a family tradition for others?
Jill
last bag of froze sprouts were kind of funky digesting, so they're out of the rotation. Time for broccoli to step up.