Vittles for New Years
Leonard Blaisdell
2021-12-31 22:11:23 UTC
I found a fruitcake that my SIL made last year in the freezer, so
there's that. Yesterday, I looked at a Pillsbury cinnamon/orange sauce
tube in the fridge, and it said use by 12/30/2021, so there's that. I
still have half the shortbread left, so there's that.
My wife made some crudités, and I made ham, cream cheese and onion
wraps. She made some deviled eggs.
We have leftover bisque and beef and noodles. I don't plan to cook for a
day or so.

leo
GM
2021-12-31 22:19:34 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
I found a fruitcake that my SIL made last year in the freezer, so
there's that. Yesterday, I looked at a Pillsbury cinnamon/orange sauce
tube in the fridge, and it said use by 12/30/2021, so there's that. I
still have half the shortbread left, so there's that.
My wife made some crudités, and I made ham, cream cheese and onion
wraps. She made some deviled eggs.
We have leftover bisque and beef and noodles. I don't plan to cook for a
day or so.
Sounds cozy and poifect, and best to you and yours...!!!
GM
jmcquown
2021-12-31 22:55:13 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
I found a fruitcake that my SIL made last year in the freezer, so
there's that. Yesterday, I looked at a Pillsbury cinnamon/orange sauce
tube in the fridge, and it said use by 12/30/2021, so there's that. I
still have half the shortbread left, so there's that.
My wife made some crudités, and I made ham, cream cheese and onion
wraps. She made some deviled eggs.
We have leftover bisque and beef and noodles. I don't plan to cook for a
day or so.
leo
Good thing you'll be using that Pillsbury tube up before it
expires/explodes! ;)

I'll be making Graham's Seafood Lasagna tomorrow for New Year's Day.

Happy New Year!

Jill
i***@webtv.net
2021-12-31 23:54:19 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I'll be making Graham's Seafood Lasagna tomorrow for New Year's Day.
Happy New Year!
Jill
I'll be doing some hamburgers in the Ninja air fryer Saturday.

Happy New Year!
bruce bowser
Hey! Grill it outside. It isn't too cold, is it?
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-01 14:40:35 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
I found a fruitcake that my SIL made last year in the freezer, so
there's that. Yesterday, I looked at a Pillsbury cinnamon/orange sauce
tube in the fridge, and it said use by 12/30/2021, so there's that. I
still have half the shortbread left, so there's that.
My wife made some crudités, and I made ham, cream cheese and onion
wraps. She made some deviled eggs.
We have leftover bisque and beef and noodles. I don't plan to cook for a
day or so.
leo
I didn't make anything special for New Year's Eve, but I just got a turkey
in the oven.

We probably won't eat any of the meat, but I'll snarf some of the crispy
skin when it comes out.

The main purpose in roasting this turkey is to make stock. The batch of
stock from the Thanksgiving turkey is just about gone.

Yesterday, I bought two more turkeys at the grocery store; later on
in the year it's uncertain whether I'll be able to find any. They're
comfortably ensconced in the freezer compartment of the
basement fridge.

Cindy Hamilton
bruce bowser
Come to think of it, I used up the last of the canned turkey gravy on a rice and greens meal.
Michael Trew
2022-01-01 19:58:27 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
I found a fruitcake that my SIL made last year in the freezer, so
there's that. Yesterday, I looked at a Pillsbury cinnamon/orange sauce
tube in the fridge, and it said use by 12/30/2021, so there's that. I
still have half the shortbread left, so there's that.
My wife made some crudités, and I made ham, cream cheese and onion
wraps. She made some deviled eggs.
We have leftover bisque and beef and noodles. I don't plan to cook for a
day or so.
leo
I didn't make anything special for New Year's Eve, but I just got a turkey
in the oven.
We probably won't eat any of the meat, but I'll snarf some of the crispy
skin when it comes out.
The main purpose in roasting this turkey is to make stock.
What do you do with the meat, then? I usually save left over meat
scraps to make turkey noodle soup with some of the stock.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
The batch of
stock from the Thanksgiving turkey is just about gone.
Don't tell Sheldon, he'll scold you for not feeding the critters instead
of making "bland" stock.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Yesterday, I bought two more turkeys at the grocery store; later on
in the year it's uncertain whether I'll be able to find any. They're
comfortably ensconced in the freezer compartment of the
basement fridge.
Cindy Hamilton
I ought to head to the store and check for a Turkey on sale; I like to
keep one in the cellar freezer as well.
Cindy Hamilton
2022-01-01 20:16:10 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
I found a fruitcake that my SIL made last year in the freezer, so
there's that. Yesterday, I looked at a Pillsbury cinnamon/orange sauce
tube in the fridge, and it said use by 12/30/2021, so there's that. I
still have half the shortbread left, so there's that.
My wife made some crudités, and I made ham, cream cheese and onion
wraps. She made some deviled eggs.
We have leftover bisque and beef and noodles. I don't plan to cook for a
day or so.
leo
I didn't make anything special for New Year's Eve, but I just got a turkey
in the oven.
We probably won't eat any of the meat, but I'll snarf some of the crispy
skin when it comes out.
The main purpose in roasting this turkey is to make stock.
What do you do with the meat, then?
In the stockpot until all the flavor is leached out, then into the garbage.

Cindy Hamilton
Hank Rogers
Shame on you! Next time throw it out yoose window for the critters.
Michael Trew
2022-01-02 02:55:59 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
[...]
You use the *entire* turkey just for a pot of stock... wow, that's
dedication. Talk about pricey stock. I scrap that thing clean, and
just leave bits of meat, cartilage, fat, etc. on the bones before it
goes into a stock pot; only the stuff that I don't wish to consume.
f***@sdf.org
2022-01-04 20:58:29 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
[...]
i have three picked clean carcasses like that and two 23 lb butterball
turkeys in the freezer, also. end of january-ish i'll cook a turkey
[1], remove all the edible meat and set it aside for soup, then proceed
to use the 4 carcasses to make soup broth in a 20 qt stock pot. into the
stock will go the turkey and vegetables. then it all will get pressure
canned. i'll be eating that batch of soup for nearly a year. [2] the
second frozen bird will get smoked and consumed on Independence Day.

[1] roast turkey
https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=21395#top_display_media

in the pan are the giblets and trimmings from the bird, couple onions
quartered, couple carrots 2 inch pieces, 1 stick celery leaves and all
2 inch pieces, 1 cup apple juice, bottle of dry white wine from an
overstock / clearance shelf, couple bay leaves, 1 tbs each dried sage
and thyme, and topped off with water. is strained and fat skimmed off
when done. some is used for gravy with the feast and left over turkey
and gravy sammiches. is thckened with corn starch. the rest gets frozen
and added to the soup stock.

[2] last of batch made in 2020. canning the barley with the soup was a
mistake. it didn't ruin the soup, just the texture of the barley was
non-existent. live and learn. :D

https://wm.sdf.org/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=21396#top_display_media
--
***@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 18:31:45 UTC
Post by f***@sdf.org
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Michael Trew
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
[...]
Can you go into more detail? I don't get it
--
This is NOT a post by Dave Smith