Thursday, January 06 Dinner on This Cold Day
2022-01-06 22:57:43 UTC
For the last three days snow has been predicted for today. Wednesday
was my grocery shopping day so I picked up the ingredients I needed
to make a huge pot of vegetable beef soup. I had about half of what
was needed and it's at a low, low simmer as I write.

23°F/-6°C presently and down to 10°F/-10°C tonight with windchills
at below 0°F for Friday but the temperature is supposed to reach
25°F/-4°C. A little while ago I did slip out the backdoor with a ruler
to check the depth of the snow on my recycle bin lid and it was 5
inches deep.

BRRRRRRRRRRRR, that soup will be most welcome on these frigid
days. What's on your dinner table today??
GM
2022-01-06 23:03:38 UTC
For the last three days snow has been predicted for today. Wednesday
was my grocery shopping day so I picked up the ingredients I needed
to make a huge pot of vegetable beef soup. I had about half of what
was needed and it's at a low, low simmer as I write.
23°F/-6°C presently and down to 10°F/-10°C tonight with windchills
at below 0°F for Friday but the temperature is supposed to reach
25°F/-4°C. A little while ago I did slip out the backdoor with a ruler
to check the depth of the snow on my recycle bin lid and it was 5
inches deep.
BRRRRRRRRRRRR, that soup will be most welcome on these frigid
days. What's on your dinner table today??
A strip steak, crinkle fries, and onion rings... with a big tossed salad...

Lotsa peeps I had plans with over the holidaze had to cancel, they had colds, etc...

As for the cold, yep it is frigid... at least I'm back to totally remote work, so at least for
awhiles I don't have to get out much...

Ya need some rich buttery BISQUITS with yer soup, Joan...
2022-01-07 00:33:34 UTC
A strip steak, crinkle fries, and onion rings... with a big tossed salad...
Yummmmm, sounds goooood! Enjoy!!
Post by GM
Lotsa peeps I had plans with over the holidaze had to cancel, they had colds, etc...
As for the cold, yep it is frigid... at least I'm back to totally remote work, so at least for
awhiles I don't have to get out much...
I don't blame you. If you can work remotely I wouldn't get out in any of the winter messes.
Post by GM
Ya need some rich buttery BISQUITS with yer soup, Joan...
I'm not a 'bread' eater with soup or chili, maybe crackers sometimes. But I did
get a bag of "Mary B's" biscuits yesterday that Jill is always talking about and
they're on Friday's breakfast menu.
On clear cold-as-heck nights like this, I wish I could get out to do some grilling. But, i'm too weak. Forget the whole thing.
Mocumentary: No. I hate mocumentaries, especially ones like Modern Family, where
we're expected to believe that a camera crew followed that family around for ten years.
2022-01-07 01:19:02 UTC
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 16:33:34 -0800 (PST), GM
Post by GM
I'm not a 'bread' eater with soup or chili, maybe crackers sometimes. But I did
get a bag of "Mary B's" biscuits yesterday that Jill is always talking about and
they're on Friday's breakfast menu.
On clear cold-as-heck nights like this, I wish I could get out to do some grilling. But, i'm too weak. Forget the whole thing.
Mocumentary: No. I hate mocumentaries, especially ones like Modern Family, where
we're expected to believe that a camera crew followed that family around for ten years.
Hey Greg, you have lots of free time on your hands all of a sudden. Do
you like it?
S Viemeister
2022-01-07 00:47:27 UTC
For the last three days snow has been predicted for today. Wednesday
was my grocery shopping day so I picked up the ingredients I needed
to make a huge pot of vegetable beef soup. I had about half of what
was needed and it's at a low, low simmer as I write.
23°F/-6°C presently and down to 10°F/-10°C tonight with windchills
at below 0°F for Friday but the temperature is supposed to reach
25°F/-4°C. A little while ago I did slip out the backdoor with a ruler
to check the depth of the snow on my recycle bin lid and it was 5
inches deep.
BRRRRRRRRRRRR, that soup will be most welcome on these frigid
days. What's on your dinner table today??
Lentil soup, the way my mother's family have made it for generations.

Orange lentils, water to cover by a couple of inches, a couple of bay
leaves, simmered until beginning to get mushy. NO SALT!

Add carrots, leeks, rutabaga/swede/wax turnip, celery, potatoes, diced
ham, freshly ground pepper, more water.

Simmer until lentils liquefy, remove bay leaves, taste for salt - ham
can be very salty, so I don't add it until the soup has finished
cooking. This batch didn't need any.

To serve, top with a swirl of cream, sprinkled with fresh parsley and/or
chives.

Accompanied by freshly baked bread, and cheese (tonight's cheese was a
sharp cheddar).

Later this week I'll be making beef barley broth.
Michael Trew
2022-01-07 03:21:52 UTC
Post by S Viemeister
[...]
Ooh, that sounds good. I have a couple of beef soup bones in the cellar
freezer; I need to get those out and make some soup this weekend!
Golden One
2022-01-07 02:36:39 UTC
For the last three days snow has been predicted for today. Wednesday
was my grocery shopping day so I picked up the ingredients I needed
to make a huge pot of vegetable beef soup. I had about half of what
was needed and it's at a low, low simmer as I write.
23°F/-6°C presently and down to 10°F/-10°C tonight with windchills
at below 0°F for Friday but the temperature is supposed to reach
25°F/-4°C. A little while ago I did slip out the backdoor with a ruler
to check the depth of the snow on my recycle bin lid and it was 5
inches deep.
BRRRRRRRRRRRR, that soup will be most welcome on these frigid
days. What's on your dinner table today??
On Christmas Day our official temperature was 47.3C, but my weather station topped 52C. I know the 52 was correct because many other people in the same area had readings of same and the actual official temp 30km north of us was 53C.

Salad, salad and more salad is what's on my menu at the moment.

JB
Michael Trew
2022-01-07 03:19:59 UTC
For the last three days snow has been predicted for today. Wednesday
was my grocery shopping day so I picked up the ingredients I needed
to make a huge pot of vegetable beef soup. I had about half of what
was needed and it's at a low, low simmer as I write.
23°F/-6°C presently and down to 10°F/-10°C tonight with windchills
at below 0°F for Friday but the temperature is supposed to reach
25°F/-4°C. A little while ago I did slip out the backdoor with a ruler
to check the depth of the snow on my recycle bin lid and it was 5
inches deep.
BRRRRRRRRRRRR, that soup will be most welcome on these frigid
days. What's on your dinner table today??
Certainly not 5 inches, but we got an inch and a half or so here, first
accumulation this year. It took the city FOREVER to get the salt trucks
out. I was not anticipating precipitation, and boy my surprise when I
walked outside leaving work at 6PM with everything slick and white. I
decided against driving my car with 35 year old nearly bald tires up my
steep hill, and left it parked on the street. I got a ride home from
someone with 4 wheel drive and studded snow tires.

I made french fried potatoes, and that's it. Dinner of champions?
Sure. I had ketchup too... lol.
Gary
2022-01-07 12:33:23 UTC
I made french fried potatoes, and that's it.  Dinner of champions?
Sure.  I had ketchup too... lol.
I haven't deep fried anything in maybe 5 years but I love the stuff.
Just bought a new large bottle of oil last week for that.

First thing on my list is battered and deep fried onion rings. Oh Man!
Leonard Blaisdell
2022-01-07 06:39:09 UTC
23°F/-6°C presently and down to 10°F/-10°C tonight with windchills
at below 0°F for Friday but the temperature is supposed to reach
25°F/-4°C. A little while ago I did slip out the backdoor with a ruler
to check the depth of the snow on my recycle bin lid and it was 5
inches deep.
BRRRRRRRRRRRR, that soup will be most welcome on these frigid
days. What's on your dinner table today??
Leftovers, and I didn't realize that Nashville got snow or temperatures
like that. I need a geography lesson.
Jeßus
2022-01-07 06:49:19 UTC
On 7 Jan 2022 06:39:09 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by i***@webtv.net
23°F/-6°C presently and down to 10°F/-10°C tonight with windchills
at below 0°F for Friday but the temperature is supposed to reach
25°F/-4°C. A little while ago I did slip out the backdoor with a ruler
to check the depth of the snow on my recycle bin lid and it was 5
inches deep.
BRRRRRRRRRRRR, that soup will be most welcome on these frigid
days. What's on your dinner table today??
Leftovers,
Khao Man Ped here. Ped being duck...instead of the usual chicken
(gai). https://www.marionskitchen.com/thai-chicken-rice/
Heavy rain the past couple of days here, with minor flooding.
Bryan Simmons
2022-01-07 11:14:31 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Post by i***@webtv.net
23°F/-6°C presently and down to 10°F/-10°C tonight with windchills
at below 0°F for Friday but the temperature is supposed to reach
25°F/-4°C. A little while ago I did slip out the backdoor with a ruler
to check the depth of the snow on my recycle bin lid and it was 5
inches deep.
BRRRRRRRRRRRR, that soup will be most welcome on these frigid
days. What's on your dinner table today??
Leftovers,
Khao Man Ped here. Ped being duck...instead of the usual chicken
(gai). https://www.marionskitchen.com/thai-chicken-rice/
I can imagine a certain Ped-ophile going to Thailand on vacation, and
being led into a room with a mattress on the floor, whereupon sat a
duck. His response would be predictable. He'd find a computer and
post here. Thai Sex Tourism SUCKS!

2022-01-07 06:51:20 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
Leftovers, and I didn't realize that Nashville got snow or temperatures
like that. I need a geography lesson.
Leftovers are great, enjoy!

Yes, we do get the frigid temperatures, snow, and ice. We even dip into the
minus degrees occasionally. The coldest I've ever experienced was -15°.
US Janet
2022-01-07 18:28:33 UTC
On 7 Jan 2022 06:39:09 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
snip
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
like that. I need a geography lesson.
Re: the weather in TN
My daughter and I bought sleds for her boys when they were of age to
enjoy them. The boys are now in their 20s and were never able to use
them.
Janet US
Dave Smith
2022-01-07 18:30:54 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
like that. I need a geography lesson.
Re: the weather in TN
My daughter and I bought sleds for her boys when they were of age to
enjoy them. The boys are now in their 20s and were never able to use
them.
Many years ago I got a snow blower and a set of cross country skis for
Christmas. I didn't get to use either one of them that winter.
Dave Smith
2022-01-07 19:02:58 UTC
Post by Leonard Blaisdell
like that. I need a geography lesson.
Re: the weather in TN
My daughter and I bought sleds for her boys when they were of age to
enjoy them. The boys are now in their 20s and were never able to use
them.
Janet US
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
I can believe it!
Dave Smith
2022-01-07 10:16:34 UTC
For the last three days snow has been predicted for today. Wednesday
was my grocery shopping day so I picked up the ingredients I needed
to make a huge pot of vegetable beef soup. I had about half of what
was needed and it's at a low, low simmer as I write.
23°F/-6°C presently and down to 10°F/-10°C tonight with windchills
at below 0°F for Friday but the temperature is supposed to reach
25°F/-4°C. A little while ago I did slip out the backdoor with a ruler
to check the depth of the snow on my recycle bin lid and it was 5
inches deep.
BRRRRRRRRRRRR, that soup will be most welcome on these frigid
days. What's on your dinner table today??
Yesterday's high was about 25 F; we had some lake-effect snow
flurries blow across the state from Lake Michigan. The temperature
is 14 F right now.

Last night's supper was a salad.