Food Today
2021-10-11 19:39:30 UTC
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.

Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.

I probably need to invest in rice vinegar and better soy sauce.
Probably no celery next time either.

https://postimg.cc/JGb5Qrcs

For supper, I plan to make a single Delmonico rib steak (on sale -
bought on sell by date) for Mara, maybe some mashed potatoes and green
beans... I'll just have left over stir fry with the potatoes and beans.

I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?

What is everyone else having today?
GM
2021-10-11 19:53:40 UTC
[...]
I made some Jambalaya yesterday (andouille, chicken breast, shwimp), so probably that...
ItsJoan NotJoAnn
2021-10-11 19:58:03 UTC
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
It doesn't look bad, but why is it so red looking?
Post by Michael Trew
https://postimg.cc/JGb5Qrcs
For supper, I plan to make a single Delmonico rib steak (on sale -
bought on sell by date) for Mara, maybe some mashed potatoes and green
beans... I'll just have left over stir fry with the potatoes and beans.
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Well, she does have something going for her! Medium rare steak!
Personally, I'd cook it in a rip roaring red-hot cast-iron skillet. Like
the sitting on the stove next to your stir fry. Heat that pan for at least
5 minutes before tossing that steak in. Salt and pepper is all you need,
let it develop a nice crust before flipping. Let it rest about 10 minutes
before she digs in.
Post by Michael Trew
What is everyone else having today?
I don't know that I'll eat anything. I bought a bag of curly fries at the store
last week and fixed far too many in the Ninja Foodi and they came out
perfect.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-11 20:16:24 UTC
Post by ItsJoan NotJoAnn
Post by Michael Trew
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
It doesn't look bad, but why is it so red looking?
He used red cabbage.

Ooooooooh.
Sqwertz
2021-10-11 22:14:39 UTC
Post by ItsJoan NotJoAnn
Post by Michael Trew
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
It doesn't look bad, but why is it so red looking?
Purple cabbage, like red onion, bleed when cooked.

Ok!
Michael Trew
2021-10-12 14:37:53 UTC
Post by ItsJoan NotJoAnn
Post by Michael Trew
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Well, she does have something going for her! Medium rare steak!
Personally, I'd cook it in a rip roaring red-hot cast-iron skillet. Like
the sitting on the stove next to your stir fry. Heat that pan for at least
5 minutes before tossing that steak in. Salt and pepper is all you need,
let it develop a nice crust before flipping. Let it rest about 10 minutes
before she digs in.
Thanks! I didn't end up making that last night, but it certainly has to
go today.
perfect.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-11 20:15:28 UTC
What is everyone else having today?
Lunch was leftover pizza with pepperoni, mushroom, and onion. I
needed something I could eat at my desk at work, and there it was,
calling to me from the fridge. I "reheated" it on my dash board.

Dinner will be leftover grilled salmon, marinated in lemon vinaigrette
and served over romaine lettuce. Bakery trip after work, so there will
be impeccably fresh bread.

Cindy Hamilton
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-11 20:17:51 UTC
On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 13:15:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
What is everyone else having today?
Lunch was leftover pizza with pepperoni, mushroom, and onion. I
needed something I could eat at my desk at work, and there it was,
calling to me from the fridge. I "reheated" it on my dash board.
Dinner will be leftover grilled salmon, marinated in lemon vinaigrette
and served over romaine lettuce. Bakery trip after work, so there will
be impeccably fresh bread.
Breakfast is two slices of bread with peanut butter and fried chili
peppers. And a coffee.
jmcquown
2021-10-11 22:00:03 UTC
[...]
I'd pan fry it in a heavy skillet with a very little bit of neutral oil
after seasoning the steak with S&P. Depending on the thickness, no more
than 7 minutes per side.
Post by Michael Trew
What is everyone else having today?
I'm having the last bowl of the baked potato soup I made the other night.

That sounds good; it's on my menu soon.
Sqwertz
2021-10-11 22:12:58 UTC
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Why do you make her steak while and you eat leftovers? I'm not
going to help you with that just on principle.

But for your stir fry, invest in some oyster sauce. It's the
single-most ingredient that alone makes stir-fry taste like Chinse
food. And no vinegar, use a few sqwertz of toasted sesame oil. And
slice that damned steak thin and throw that in there, too. Let her
eat ravioli.

2021-10-12 14:32:31 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Michael Trew
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Why do you make her steak while and you eat leftovers? I'm not
going to help you with that just on principle.
I only bought one; it was a nice looking well marbled thick steak for
$8, but $3 off because today was the sell by date. I'm just not a steak
person... as crazy as it sounds, I'm don't particularly care for it.
Post by Sqwertz
But for your stir fry, invest in some oyster sauce. It's the
single-most ingredient that alone makes stir-fry taste like Chinse
food. And no vinegar, use a few sqwertz of toasted sesame oil. And
slice that damned steak thin and throw that in there, too.
Thanks! I'll grab both of those. I love Chinese stir-fry, but it never
comes out as intended with my method.
Post by Sqwertz
Let her eat ravioli.
-sw
LOL
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-12 16:24:05 UTC
Thanks! I'll grab both of those. I love Chinese stir-fry, but it never
comes out as intended with my method.
Here's your method from your original post:

Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.

Too wet. Too much cooking. Vegetables might not be cut thin enough.

Stir frying takes a hell of a lot of heat, and not much time. As a crutch,
I often remove the vegetables while I make the sauce in the pan, then
add them back, toss everything until it's just coated, and serve.

You should watch some YouTube videos.

Cindy Hamilton
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-12 17:53:05 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:24:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Michael Trew
Thanks! I'll grab both of those. I love Chinese stir-fry, but it never
comes out as intended with my method.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
Too wet. Too much cooking. Vegetables might not be cut thin enough.
Yeah, every time you post something about your cooking, I always think
that the vegetables might not be cut thin enough. I can just tell.
Michael Trew
2021-10-13 03:51:38 UTC
Thanks! I'll grab both of t