Food Today
2021-10-11 19:39:30 UTC
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.

Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.

I probably need to invest in rice vinegar and better soy sauce.
Probably no celery next time either.

https://postimg.cc/JGb5Qrcs

For supper, I plan to make a single Delmonico rib steak (on sale -
bought on sell by date) for Mara, maybe some mashed potatoes and green
beans... I'll just have left over stir fry with the potatoes and beans.

I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?

What is everyone else having today?
GM
2021-10-11 19:53:40 UTC
[...]
I made some Jambalaya yesterday (andouille, chicken breast, shwimp), so probably that...
ItsJoan NotJoAnn
2021-10-11 19:58:03 UTC
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
It doesn't look bad, but why is it so red looking?
Post by Michael Trew
https://postimg.cc/JGb5Qrcs
For supper, I plan to make a single Delmonico rib steak (on sale -
bought on sell by date) for Mara, maybe some mashed potatoes and green
beans... I'll just have left over stir fry with the potatoes and beans.
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Well, she does have something going for her! Medium rare steak!
Personally, I'd cook it in a rip roaring red-hot cast-iron skillet. Like
the sitting on the stove next to your stir fry. Heat that pan for at least
5 minutes before tossing that steak in. Salt and pepper is all you need,
let it develop a nice crust before flipping. Let it rest about 10 minutes
before she digs in.
Post by Michael Trew
What is everyone else having today?
I don't know that I'll eat anything. I bought a bag of curly fries at the store
last week and fixed far too many in the Ninja Foodi and they came out
perfect.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-11 20:16:24 UTC
Post by ItsJoan NotJoAnn
Post by Michael Trew
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
It doesn't look bad, but why is it so red looking?
He used red cabbage.

Ooooooooh.
Sqwertz
2021-10-11 22:14:39 UTC
Post by ItsJoan NotJoAnn
Post by Michael Trew
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
It doesn't look bad, but why is it so red looking?
Purple cabbage, like red onion, bleed when cooked.

Ok!
Michael Trew
2021-10-12 14:37:53 UTC
Post by ItsJoan NotJoAnn
Post by Michael Trew
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Well, she does have something going for her! Medium rare steak!
Personally, I'd cook it in a rip roaring red-hot cast-iron skillet. Like
the sitting on the stove next to your stir fry. Heat that pan for at least
5 minutes before tossing that steak in. Salt and pepper is all you need,
let it develop a nice crust before flipping. Let it rest about 10 minutes
before she digs in.
Thanks! I didn't end up making that last night, but it certainly has to
go today.
perfect.
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-11 20:15:28 UTC
What is everyone else having today?
Lunch was leftover pizza with pepperoni, mushroom, and onion. I
needed something I could eat at my desk at work, and there it was,
calling to me from the fridge. I "reheated" it on my dash board.

Dinner will be leftover grilled salmon, marinated in lemon vinaigrette
and served over romaine lettuce. Bakery trip after work, so there will
be impeccably fresh bread.

Cindy Hamilton
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-11 20:17:51 UTC
On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 13:15:28 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
What is everyone else having today?
Lunch was leftover pizza with pepperoni, mushroom, and onion. I
needed something I could eat at my desk at work, and there it was,
calling to me from the fridge. I "reheated" it on my dash board.
Dinner will be leftover grilled salmon, marinated in lemon vinaigrette
and served over romaine lettuce. Bakery trip after work, so there will
be impeccably fresh bread.
Breakfast is two slices of bread with peanut butter and fried chili
peppers. And a coffee.
jmcquown
2021-10-11 22:00:03 UTC
[...]
I'd pan fry it in a heavy skillet with a very little bit of neutral oil
after seasoning the steak with S&P. Depending on the thickness, no more
than 7 minutes per side.
Post by Michael Trew
What is everyone else having today?
I'm having the last bowl of the baked potato soup I made the other night.

That sounds good; it's on my menu soon.
Sqwertz
2021-10-11 22:12:58 UTC
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Why do you make her steak while and you eat leftovers? I'm not
going to help you with that just on principle.

But for your stir fry, invest in some oyster sauce. It's the
single-most ingredient that alone makes stir-fry taste like Chinse
food. And no vinegar, use a few sqwertz of toasted sesame oil. And
slice that damned steak thin and throw that in there, too. Let her
eat ravioli.

2021-10-12 14:32:31 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Michael Trew
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Why do you make her steak while and you eat leftovers? I'm not
going to help you with that just on principle.
I only bought one; it was a nice looking well marbled thick steak for
$8, but $3 off because today was the sell by date. I'm just not a steak
person... as crazy as it sounds, I'm don't particularly care for it.
Post by Sqwertz
But for your stir fry, invest in some oyster sauce. It's the
single-most ingredient that alone makes stir-fry taste like Chinse
food. And no vinegar, use a few sqwertz of toasted sesame oil. And
slice that damned steak thin and throw that in there, too.
Thanks! I'll grab both of those. I love Chinese stir-fry, but it never
comes out as intended with my method.
Post by Sqwertz
Let her eat ravioli.
-sw
LOL
Cindy Hamilton
2021-10-12 16:24:05 UTC
Thanks! I'll grab both of those. I love Chinese stir-fry, but it never
comes out as intended with my method.
Here's your method from your original post:

Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.

Too wet. Too much cooking. Vegetables might not be cut thin enough.

Stir frying takes a hell of a lot of heat, and not much time. As a crutch,
I often remove the vegetables while I make the sauce in the pan, then
add them back, toss everything until it's just coated, and serve.

You should watch some YouTube videos.

Cindy Hamilton
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-12 17:53:05 UTC
On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:24:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
Post by Michael Trew
Thanks! I'll grab both of those. I love Chinese stir-fry, but it never
comes out as intended with my method.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
Too wet. Too much cooking. Vegetables might not be cut thin enough.
Yeah, every time you post something about your cooking, I always think
that the vegetables might not be cut thin enough. I can just tell.
Michael Trew
2021-10-13 03:51:38 UTC
Thanks! I'll grab both of those. I love Chinese stir-fry, but it never
comes out as intended with my method.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
Too wet. Too much cooking. Vegetables might not be cut thin enough.
Stir frying takes a hell of a lot of heat, and not much time. As a crutch,
I often remove the vegetables while I make the sauce in the pan, then
add them back, toss everything until it's just coated, and serve.
You should watch some YouTube videos.
Cindy Hamilton
I was afraid of burning it, I had it medium high at best. It took 10
minutes, at least. I guess I'll bring it to smoke point over high heat
next time. Thanks, I'll read into it.
Bryan Simmons
2021-10-12 21:15:20 UTC
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Why do you make her steak while and you eat leftovers? I'm not
going to help you with that just on principle.
And she isn't even...well, you know.
I don't like steak. I do like to cook, for the most part.
jmcquown
2021-10-13 22:23:17 UTC
I've never made a medium rare steak, or anything of the like, but that's
the way that she eats it... Ugh, I guess I'll give cooking it a go.
Would broiling be best?
Why do you make her steak while and you eat leftovers? I'm not
going to help you with that just on principle.
-sw
And she isn't even...well, you know.
--Bryan
(Fixed Bryan's consistent misplaced signature)
I don't like steak.  I do like to cook, for the most part.
Of course Bryan immediately jumps to the sexual. From his remark I
infer she shouldn't be eating steak unless it's part of a reward for
some other behaviour; kind of like training a dog. Ridiculous.

The *real* question, since you're used to cooking beef well done, is did
it turn out cooked as you intended?

2021-10-13 22:58:23 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
I don't like steak. I do like to cook, for the most part.
Of course Bryan immediately jumps to the sexual. From his remark I
infer she shouldn't be eating steak unless it's part of a reward for
some other behaviour; kind of like training a dog. Ridiculous.
It's not about steak, but about her being there in the first place. It
wouldn't matter if he was serving her microwaved canned menudo.
Post by jmcquown
The *real* question, since you're used to cooking beef well done, is did
it turn out cooked as you intended?
Jill, it is fucked up for a guy to let an ex-GF move back in with him when
she has another BF. Michael is a nice guy, but he's being a chump.

The picture has a fucking mustache.
Mike Duffy
2021-10-13 23:43:09 UTC
Jill, it is fucked up for a guy to let an ex-GF move back in with him
when she has another BF. Michael is a nice guy, but he's being a chump.
Michael knows what it means to be a friend. A friend, even one who has
somehow wronged him is forgiven for past mistakes and is still his friend.

This means not wishing her dead, not doing whatever he can to make her
life more miserable, like turning her into a prostitute paid with a place
to sleep free of cockroaches and bedbugs.

Things can change in life. You life might have a series of unfortunate
events, leaving you on the streets of St. Louis with nothing but your
burning hatred and a shopping cart full of empty beer cans.

But the red door with its rainbow message of welcome will forever close
you off from the enticing aroma of garlic potatoes and the soothing
patter of the djembes.

Think about it.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-14 00:00:25 UTC
On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 23:43:09 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Bryan Simmons
[...]
"When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long
and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones
which open for us."
(Alexander Graham Bell)
jmcquown
2021-10-14 00:05:55 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Bryan Simmons
Jill, it is fucked up for a guy to let an ex-GF move back in with him
when she has another BF. Michael is a nice guy, but he's being a chump.
He knows the situation and it is his decision. You are the one who is
fixated on sex. As I said in another post, what, she can't have steak
unless she has sex with him and gets rewarded like a dog? You're the
one who has a problem.
Post by Mike Duffy
Michael knows what it means to be a friend. A friend, even one who has
somehow wronged him is forgiven for past mistakes and is still his friend.
He may wind up regetting helping her out but in the end that will be his
call.
Post by Mike Duffy
This means not wishing her dead, not doing whatever he can to make her
life more miserable, like turning her into a prostitute paid with a place
to sleep free of cockroaches and bedbugs.
No kidding, Mike.
Post by Mike Duffy
Things can change in life. You life might have a series of unfortunate
events, leaving you on the streets of St. Louis with nothing but your
burning hatred and a shopping cart full of empty beer cans.
I certainly don't understand the continued teenage angst/hatred thing.
2021-10-14 00:15:33 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Bryan Simmons
[...]
You make me laugh, Mike Duffy. Your name even makes me laugh because
I used to ride a bus where a guy got on from a sheltered workshop. He had
a lunchbox with the name, Duffy, printed on it in permanent marker, and he
had abnormally large, sticky-outee ears. They weren't Ferengi large, but still
freakish. All true. Man, that guy had some ears. Duffy.

Another bus route I used to take has a stop where nurses got on. Sometimes
they'd sit next to me, and nearly crush me with the width of their hips. I
described them to my coworkers in terms of their relative hip width. At the
time, the only nurse I knew was Kuthe's wife, Sue. There were 2 Sue nurses,
2-1/2 Sue nurses, but the worst was the 3 Sue nurse. Sue units were the
standard I used for thunder-thighed nurses who sat next to me on the bus.

--Bryan
Mike Duffy
2021-10-14 01:21:39 UTC
You make me laugh, Mike Duffy. Your name even makes me laugh because I
used to ride a bus where a guy got on from a sheltered workshop. He had
a lunchbox with the name, Duffy, printed on it in permanent marker, and
he had abnormally large, sticky-outee ears. They weren't Ferengi large,
but still freakish. All true. Man, that guy had some ears. Duffy.
The better to hear you with, my 'Little Dread'.
Another bus route I used to take has a stop where nurses got on.
Sometimes they'd sit next to me, and nearly crush me with the width of
their hips. I described them to my coworkers in terms of their relative
hip width. At the time, the only nurse I knew was Kuthe's wife, Sue.
There were 2 Sue nurses, 2-1/2 Sue nurses, but the worst was the 3 Sue
nurse. Sue units were the standard I used for thunder-thighed nurses
who sat next to me on the bus.
What does that have to do with the current context? Okay, I get it. You
remember someone named 'Duffy' who got on the bus. He had big ears. Then
you remember a different bus. The women who got on the bus had big hips.

This gave you an ingenious way to simultaneously do two things you enjoy:

(1) Reduce women to sexual objects, and

(2) Put down John, by fat-shaming his former wife, who by all accounts
had what should have been the best part of her life ruined by a sexual
predator who was at the time your BFF.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-14 01:36:42 UTC
On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 01:21:39 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
Post by Mike Duffy
[...]
Stream of consciousness. Very literary.
Post by Mike Duffy
(1) Reduce women to sexual objects, and
I don't really read sexual objects into it, but fatshaming, yes.
Post by Mike Duffy
(2) Put down John, by fat-shaming his former wife
I understood that John's Sue was a 1 Sue nurse. The others were 2, 2.5
and 3. So fatshaming, but not of John's wife, if I understand
correctly.
(1) Put down John Kuthe.
Hank Rogers
2021-10-14 01:52:40 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
who by all accounts had what should have been the best part of her life ruined by a sexual
predator who was at the time your BFF.
(1) Put down John Kuthe.
This gave you an ingenious way to do one thing you enjoy master:

Sniff asses.
GM
2021-10-14 03:09:20 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Bryan Simmons
[...]
Gracefully said, what you wrote to Bryan is "poetry in motion"...!!!

"What is meant by poetry in motion?
- someone or something that moves in a way that is very graceful or beautiful He is poetry in motion when he catches and throws the ball..."

Also a theme from 'The Wind in the Willows':

"Mr. Toad and a Story of Dangerous Obsessions

In the next chapter, Mole and Rat dock near the royal Toad Hall to stop in on one of Rat's friends, Mr. Toad, who is rich, friendly, happy, but also conceited and easily distracted by the latest fad. His current obsession upon their meeting: driving a horse-drawn carriage:

"Glorious, stirring sight! ___The poetry of motion!___ The real way to travel! The only way to travel! Here today—in next week tomorrow! Villages skipped, towns and cities jumped—always somebody else's horizon! O bliss! O poop-poop! O my! O my!"

</>
2021-10-14 05:21:42 UTC
I don't like steak. I do like to cook, for the most part.
Of course Bryan immediately jumps to the sexual. From his remark I
infer she shouldn't be eating steak unless it's part of a reward for
some other behaviour; kind of like training a dog. Ridiculous.
It's not about steak, but about her being there in the first place. It
wouldn't matter if he was serving her microwaved canned menudo.
Jill, it is fucked up for a guy to let an ex-GF move back in with him when
she has another BF. Michael is a nice guy, but he's being a chump.
I don't mind helping out. Truth be told, it does kind of sting to have
her here. I'm mentally beyond a relationship, but I'm lonely, and
that's part of the reason I let her stay. The company is nice,
sometimes, but it stings seeing her at the same time.

In other news, she was accepted for a decent paying online call center
job, full time, with some government agency. She's ordering some kind
of cable internet in her name (since they require a 200 Mb/s bandwidth
for telecommuting) that she can take with her, and plans to stash money
in the mean time, being gone before Christmas (I hope so).
Bryan Simmons
2021-10-14 09:01:01 UTC
[...]
Who said anything about a relationship? Are you mentally beyond a nice
nite-nite?

______________
They'd gone down the hall hand-in-hand, and bumped shoulders against walls, drunk with lack of sleep. Entering Winter's bedroom, Ian sensed unfamiliar pheromones, the traces he'd hoped to find. Julia had changed Ian's sheets the previous day, and he assumed Winter's as well, a fresh palate, and Ian unembarassedly asked which side Delia had slept on.
"That one, but I'm going to do you one better. I'm going to tell you everything we did, and show you approximately where we were positioned while we were doing it."
"Not to discourage you, but do you think that's fair?"
"There's no way she'll ever know, and Delia owes me a lot of favors. I'd say she even owes you. You had to forego your nite-nite. Just enjoy. I'm good at this."
She was.
______________

2021-10-14 05:17:09 UTC
I don't like steak. I do like to cook, for the most part.
Of course Bryan immediately jumps to the sexual. From his remark I infer
she shouldn't be eating steak unless it's part of a reward for some
other behaviour; kind of like training a dog. Ridiculous.
The *real* question, since you're used to cooking beef well done, is did
it turn out cooked as you intended?
Jill
I think so. She seemed to like it. I cooked it for her, it didn't look
appetizing at all to me. Nope, not even a nibble. The gravy was OK.
Michael Trew
2021-10-14 20:12:47 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
But for your stir fry, invest in some oyster sauce. It's the
single-most ingredient that alone makes stir-fry taste like Chinse
food. And no vinegar, use a few sqwertz of toasted sesame oil. And
slice that damned steak thin and throw that in there, too. Let her
eat ravioli.
-sw
Thanks again! Our local Giant Eagle didn't have anything more exotic
than "Soy Sauce", so today, I "went out into civilization", as Bryan
typically says. I stopped at the super fancy Giant Eagle "Market
District" in Robinson Township - Pittsburgh. I remember when they built
that store, hadn't been there in years... what a maze! Anyway, I found
what I was looking for, receipt picture attached. I hope these are
decent brands... I opted for the most affordable ones that were still
served in glass bottles, rather than plastic.

https://postimg.cc/0rv4skTB

I would have photographed the fancy jumbo iced cookie sandwich, but I'm
pretty sure it's been eaten. Fortunately, I turned down other impulse
buys in that store. The fresh bread looked really good, however.
Mike Duffy
2021-10-11 23:04:51 UTC
What is everyone else having today?
Roast Chicken.

Dressing done is a roast pan: Fried diced leftovers from last week:
(sweet potatoes + potatoes + parsnips + rutabaga) + fried fresh (garlic +
red bell peppers + vidali + shitaki) + crust from dark rye bread + refried
diced leftover pork roast & chunks of salami + a few eggs + every green
herb in my cupboard except dill & epazote. Since most stuff was already
cooked, I added a small can of Coke to keep it from drying out.

Mashed roots: (sweet potato + potato + parsnip + carrot + squash)

Microwaved green veg: (beans + asparagus)

Condiments: Jellied cranberry sauce, olives (green + black), pickled
sliced dills + cheery peppers.

(It's Thanksgiving here.)
dsi1
2021-10-11 23:08:10 UTC
[...]
I ate Korean noodles and watched "Squid Game." The noodles were udon type noodles but it had no squid in it - only shrimp.

Michael Trew
2021-10-12 14:44:22 UTC
What is everyone else having today?
I ate Korean noodles and watched "Squid Game." The noodles were udon type noodles but it had no squid in it - only shrimp.
http://youtu.be/oqxAJKy0ii4
We just watched that whole show through.. it was pretty good, but the
last episode ticked me off at the end.
dsi1
2021-10-12 17:38:39 UTC
What is everyone else having today?
I ate Korean noodles and watched "Squid Game." The noodles were udon type noodles but it had no squid in it - only shrimp.
http://youtu.be/oqxAJKy0ii4
We just watched that whole show through.. it was pretty good, but the
last episode ticked me off at the end.
Uh oh. I'm going to watch the last show tonight. Hopefully, I won't get ticked off.
Last night, I made some Hawaiian chop steak/beef tomato. What makes it Hawaiian is it's utter simplicity. It is seasoned only with the Hawaiian trifecta of salt, pepper, and shoyu. I also use some ketchup to add some sweetness and brightness.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D65gu5JDqroH2QDo7
Michael Trew
2021-10-13 03:54:00 UTC
What is everyone else having today?
I ate Korean noodles and watched "Squid Game." The noodles were udon type noodles but it had no squid in it - only shrimp.
http://youtu.be/oqxAJKy0ii4
We just watched that whole show through.. it was pretty good, but the
last episode ticked me off at the end.
Uh oh. I'm going to watch the last show tonight. Hopefully, I won't get ticked off.
Last night, I made some Hawaiian chop steak/beef tomato. What makes it Hawaiian is it's utter simplicity. It is seasoned only with the Hawaiian trifecta of salt, pepper, and shoyu. I also use some ketchup to add some sweetness and brightness.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D65gu5JDqroH2QDo7
Be careful with food plated in plastic, that's close to Styrofoam... the
vultures here are watching ;)

Let me know what you think of it after you watch it; I don't want to
spoil anything.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
Ah, you've picked up on the vultures. You show promise.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-14 04:08:39 UTC
What is everyone else having today?
I ate Korean noodles and watched "Squid Game." The noodles were udon type noodles but it had no squid in it - only shrimp.
http://youtu.be/oqxAJKy0ii4
We just watched that whole show through.. it was pretty good, but the
last episode ticked me off at the end.
Uh oh. I'm going to watch the last show tonight. Hopefully, I won't get ticked off.
Last night, I made some Hawaiian chop steak/beef tomato. What makes it Hawaiian is it's utter simplicity. It is seasoned only with the Hawaiian trifecta of salt, pepper, and shoyu. I also use some ketchup to add some sweetness and brightness.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D65gu5JDqroH2QDo7
Today I was in the car driving back from Jimmy John’s, and I turned on NPR. There was a locally produced
news show that had a feature about “pregnant people” and their “fetuses.” I finally got so angry I turned it
off. Nothing new about that. But the thought that came into my head this time was that I had been listening
to the radio of an occupying power, and I was sick of it. Again, I get that this is an ultra-bourgeois right-wing
moment — middle-aged fat conservative rages at NPR in his Honda! — but something had flipped slightly in
my usual rantiness. For what I think was the first time, I began to regard these people — the ruling class that
runs NPR and all the institutions — as people who despise normal people so much that they are trying to
colonize our culture.

So, it’s the little things: I hear on a radio network funded by the government and rich liberals a change
of language designed to compel us to think that men can have babies, and immediately I understand that
these people, these power-holders, intend to dispossess us in our own country. They want to take away
our common-sense understanding of male and female, and of the family, and force their twisted obsessions
onto us all — and punish us if we don’t accept it. In the past, I would have just inwardly rolled my eyes at
NPR’s political correctness. But now, these ruling-class people and their malignant ideas gain and exercise
power that they have no right to do. Who asked any of us whether we should speak of “pregnant people” and “Latinx”?
dsi1

http://youtu.be/oqxAJKy0ii4
Bruce
2021-10-11 23:51:49 UTC
[...]
You slant-eyed chinks love those stupid corny game shows. My
favorite is the one where the girls pee into tubes to see who can
fill cup first.
ItsJoan NotJoAnn
You're funny, Greg M. hehehe
dsi1
GM really knows how to hump them chinkies!
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-12 20:00:45 UTC
Post by ItsJoan NotJoAnn
[...]
Sorry, but I can't claim this. I would have done some serious snipping
of the extra junk. Now, my frogger will be sure to do some good trimming
before using my name.
dsi1
I assumed that. My guess is it was written by the man himself.
GM
2021-10-12 20:26:29 UTC
Post by ItsJoan NotJoAnn
[...]
I don't fwog Joan, Po' Boi... you've a vewy, vewy sleezy mind...

😎
Well, not that you're aware of anyway.
bruce bowser
You thought that about Hank ..err, I mean GM?
GM
People on the mainland think that all Asians are Chinese - except in Texas where they think that all Asians are Vietnamese. My son's friend moved to Pittsburgh and it was frustrating for him that people there had no idea that Koreans were not Chinese. If you want to piss off a Korean, just call him a Chinese. If you really want to piss them off, call them "Japanese."
Bryan Simmons
2021-10-13 23:49:32 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Post by ItsJoan NotJoAnn
[...]
When I'd get phone solicitations from scammers who were obviously Indian,
offering to do whatever, I'd string them along, and when they seemed like they
were about to give up, I'd tell them that I didn't appreciate getting a call from a
Pakistani.

In the future, all those calls will made by AI robo-humanoids with pleasant, mid-western accents. No more calls from India. Enjoy it while you still can.
Michael Trew
2021-10-14 05:15:13 UTC
People on the mainland think that all Asians are Chinese - except in Texas where they think that all Asians are Vietnamese. My son's friend moved to Pittsburgh and it was frustrating for him that people there had no idea that Koreans were not Chinese. If you want to piss off a Korean, just call him a Chinese. If you really want to piss them off, call them "Japanese."
I admit to the stereotype. I've been yelled at by exes and family
members for assuming all Asians are Chinese. I'm not insensitive, but I
can't tell the difference.
Post by Bryan Simmons
When I'd get phone solicitations from scammers who were obviously Indian,
offering to do whatever, I'd string them along, and when they seemed like they
were about to give up, I'd tell them that I didn't appreciate getting a call from a
Pakistani.
--Bryan
Many telephone solicitors these days are from the Philippians, not India
as they once were.
Gary
2021-10-14 12:38:54 UTC
When I'd get phone solicitations from scammers who were obviously Indian,
offering to do whatever, I'd string them along, and when they seemed like they
were about to give up, I'd tell them that I didn't appreciate getting a call from a
Pakistani.
So you don't like India people. Don't hate them, they are just doing
what they are told for their job. Don't waste their time or yours by
"stringing them along." Some others here have claimed to do the same thing.

Anytime I do answer a cold call (rare) and get a solicitor, I
immediately interrupt their sales pitch and tell them I can't talk and
I'm waiting for an important call. I thank them and immediately hang up.
They never call back.

That might be the only job available to them. No need to be mean.
Ed Pawlowski
2021-10-14 13:55:49 UTC
When I'd get phone solicitations from scammers who were obviously Indian,
offering to do whatever, I'd string them along, and when they seemed like they
were about to give up, I'd tell them that I didn't appreciate getting a call from a
Pakistani.
So you don't like India people. Don't hate them, they are just doing
what they are told for their job. Don't waste their time or yours by
"stringing them along." Some others here have claimed to do the same thing.
Anytime I do answer a cold call (rare) and get a solicitor, I
immediately interrupt their sales pitch and tell them I can't talk and
I'm waiting for an important call. I thank them and immediately hang up.
They never call back.
That might be the only job available to them. No need to be mean.
Let's clarify something. There are two types of calls, one is a sales
call for insurance, car warranty, etc. But there is also the scam calls
getting people to send them money from their bank account telling them
their Social Security is on hold, etc.
I have no problem stringing a scammer trying to steal my money. As long
as I"m talking to him he is not reaching a gullible person that will be
a victim.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-14 15:03:11 UTC
When I'd get phone solicitations from scammers who were obviously Indian,
offering to do whatever, I'd string them along, and when they seemed like they
were about to give up, I'd tell them that I didn't appreciate getting a call from a
Pakistani.
So you don't like India people. Don't hate them, they are just doing
what they are told for their job. Don't waste their time or yours by
"stringing them along." Some others here have claimed to do the same thing.
I don't hate them I just hate they are trying to steal/con/hood wink people.
Pick out which term is the least offensive to you. Why not waste their time?
They want to waste mine and get me to be stupid and hand over money or
information to them.
Post by Gary
Anytime I do answer a cold call (rare) and get a solicitor, I
immediately interrupt their sales pitch and tell them I can't talk and
I'm waiting for an important call. I thank them and immediately hang up.
They never call back.
Rah, rah, rah. Good for you.
Post by Gary
That might be the only job available to them. No need to be mean.
What a bunch of horse hocky. So conning people out of money is the
ONLY job available to these poor mistreated folks?
Let's clarify something. There are two types of calls, one is a sales
call for insurance, car warranty, etc. But there is also the scam calls
getting people to send them money from their bank account telling them
their Social Security is on hold, etc.
Thank you!
I have no problem stringing a scammer trying to steal my money. As long
as I"m talking to him he is not reaching a gullible person that will be
a victim.
I got one yesterday from an Indian guy with an accent so thick you could cut
it with a knife. He told me his name was David Cooper and he was from the
Publishers Clearing House Giveaway. Did I remember talking to another agent
from this company?? What a dumbass and I was a dumbass for answering
the phone but he got a piece of my mind before I hung up.

So no, Gary, being a telephone solicitor conning people out of money is not
the only job open to them.
jmcquown
2021-10-14 22:38:43 UTC
[...]
Same thing with emails allegedly from Amazon saying a $1300 computer has
been charged to your account and will be shipped to some guy in another
state. The invite you to call if you have questions about the order.

Of course I know this shit is fake but for grins I called the number
once. "Oh! [I was told by a man with an Indian accent, although the
phone number was spoofed to be in the U.S.] There are FIVE shipping
addresses associated with your Amazon account. Is that not right? Oh,
we'll send you a link so you can change your password!"

BS. I immediately did sign on (not from their link), verified there are
no other shipping addresses and yes, I changed my password.

Meanwhile, they told me in order to correct the multiple addressees on
my Amazon account I had to go to Walgreen's and buy $200 worth of eBay
gift cards and read the numbers to them to correct the problem.

The funny thing about it is when I yelled "SCAMMER!" and hung up, the
guy had the nerve to call me back. "What makes you think this is a
scam?" "What makes you think I'm an idiot?"

The sad thing is, some people actually fall for this stuff. :(

The fake emails are usually from gmail accounts. (sigh)

2021-10-15 02:35:35 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
[...]
When I worked for Apple tech (phone) support, I can think of several
times it happened to elderly people. I will never forget the older
fellow from Texas, who had a trained (American) scammer call him, and
tell him accurate personal information describing his nephew and told
him he was in jail... he needed to send $4K in Apple iTunes gift cards
to bail him out, pronto. I don't know how this wouldn't raise major red
flags, but he did as he was told.

I asked him if he called the cops, yes. I asked him if he contacted his
bank... but he used cash from his safe at home to buy them. OUCH! It
stunk telling him there was nothing we could do. He didn't think to
call his nephew until after he sent the gift cards (who was, of course,
not in jail). I felt bad for the guy, but how can you be so gullible?
He was quite sullen after that... he knew he was "had".
GM
2021-10-15 02:40:10 UTC
[...]
Jeez, couldn't the scammer be traced via phone number... but prolly used a burner phone... " Oh Well " ...
Janet
2021-10-15 13:17:30 UTC
I felt bad for the guy, but how can you be so gullible?
He was old.

Didn't you post that gullible you lost money to a local addict who
scammed you with some fake story?

Janet UK
bruce bowser
Janet you probably were scammed by gentlemen who were addicts, yet who sounded and looked so extremely convincing from a professional standpoint, too. You may not want to or be able to remember, though.
Michael Trew
2021-10-17 23:39:43 UTC
Post by Janet
Post by Michael Trew
I felt bad for the guy, but how can you be so gullible?
He was old.
Didn't you post that gullible you lost money to a local addict who
scammed you with some fake story?
Janet UK
I was 19 years old, and I didn't grow up knowing trashy people. I had
never met a drug addict, nor did I even really know what drugs were.
Now, I don't trust people. People suck.
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-14 18:48:06 UTC
On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 14:28:02 -0400, Dave Smith
When I'd get phone solicitations from scammers who were obviously Indian,
offering to do whatever, I'd string them along, and when they seemed like they
were about to give up, I'd tell them that I didn't appreciate getting a call from a
Pakistani.
So you don't like India people. Don't hate them, they are just doing
what they are told for their job. Don't waste their time or yours by
"stringing them along." Some others here have claimed to do the same thing.
It has nothing to do with liking or disliking Indians. It is about our
attitude toward obvious scammers, like those who call saying they are
from the security department of our internet provider and they are
detecting viruses in our computers and similar scams. I am one of those
who makes a game of keeping them on the line for as long as possible.
Man, you must be bored.
Hank Rogers
2021-10-14 19:16:12 UTC
Post by Bruce 0.77 Beta
[...]
Yeah, it was much more interesting when you were forging posts in
his name.
Gary
2021-10-15 11:55:31 UTC
Anytime I do answer a cold call (rare) and get a solicitor, I
immediately interrupt their sales pitch and tell them I can't talk and
I'm waiting for an important call. I thank them and immediately hang
up. They never call back.
Why one Earth would you thank them for calling you at home to sell you a
service in which you have no interest?
Just being polite, Dave. You should try it sometime.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-15 16:47:31 UTC
Anytime I do answer a cold call (rare) and get a solicitor, I
immediately interrupt their sales pitch and tell them I can't talk and
I'm waiting for an important call. I thank them and immediately hang
up. They never call back.
Why one Earth would you thank them for calling you at home to sell you a
service in which you have no interest?
Just being polite, Dave. You should try it sometime.
Being polite to a solicitor, aka scammer, that's the joke of the day.
Thanks, Gary, for the laugh. Got anymore funnies for us??
bruce bowser
Joan, Trust me. You are all the funnies that any of us would ever need.
i***@webtv.net
2021-10-17 22:48:06 UTC
Curtsies to Bruce Bow-wow.
Bryan Simmons
2021-10-12 20:11:20 UTC
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
I probably need to invest in rice vinegar and better soy sauce.
This stuff is delicious.
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/san-j-tamari-gluten-free-soy-sauce-reduced-sodium-10-fl-oz-296-ml-bottle-s

2021-10-13 03:48:41 UTC
I made an attempt at stir-fry for lunch, which I haven't done in some
time. It leaves room to be desired, but it was OK.
Fried diced onion and a few cloves of garlic for a few minutes, add
diced carrot/celery/red cabbage, fried a couple of minutes, added splash
of AC vinegar and a few splashes of soy sauce, then fried until
semi-soft with the lid off.
I probably need to invest in rice vinegar and better soy sauce.
This stuff is delicious.
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/san-j-tamari-gluten-free-soy-sauce-reduced-sodium-10-fl-oz-296-ml-bottle-s
--Bryan
I bought the store brand a year or two ago, and regretted it.. it just
didn't taste like whatever they serve in the Chinese restaurants.
Fortunately, it's finally empty now.
cshenk
2021-10-17 19:11:02 UTC
[...]
Hey, not bad for a first try!

Here's some basic questions to help out on the stirfry.

1) What type of oil was used? Some are more optimal for a stirfry.
Canola and Olive are very common. Corn oil is the worst.

2) Why add vinegar? Thats a true question. I never have.

3) Soy sauce varies a lot but a true stirfry uses more than that. It's
often made with a bit of beef broth with cornstarch to make it thicker.

I'm a bit late on the steak bit but it's normally easier to judge the
cooking level on a stovetop frying pan. I use a preheated cast iron
and toss in some butter and onion and when the onion sizzles a bit, add
your steak then at about 5 minutes, flip it and 3 minutes later test
it. Remove from pan right away or it will be well done as cast iron
holds heat.
Michael Trew
2021-10-17 23:37:53 UTC
Post by cshenk
Post by Michael Trew
[...]
Thanks! I think I used peanut oil. I bought some sesame oil per
Steve's suggestion afterward. I also bought oyster sauce and rice vinegar.
Post by cshenk
2) Why add vinegar? Thats a true question. I never have.
I honestly have no clue, but I won't use it again.
Post by cshenk
3) Soy sauce varies a lot but a true stirfry uses more than that. It's
often made with a bit of beef broth with cornstarch to make it thicker.
I just bought a new jar of reduced sodium Kikoman since I used up the 2+
year old bottle of store brand soy sauce that never tasted quite right.
I will try it next time.
Bryan Simmons
2021-10-18 00:05:14 UTC
Post by cshenk
3) Soy sauce varies a lot but a true stirfry uses more than that. It's
often made with a bit of beef broth with cornstarch to make it thicker.
I just bought a new jar of reduced sodium Kikoman since I used up the 2+
year old bottle of store brand soy sauce that never tasted quite right.
I will try it next time.
Sesame oil is a flavoring oil. Canola is just awful. Reduced sodium Kikkoman
is nice, though I prefer reduced sodium San-J tamari. The best neutral oil is
high oleic sunflower, but peanut is good too. Olive oil is not neutral, and you
should only use it if you want olive flavor, which I wouldn't want in an Asian
stir fry.

Including rice wine, or rice wine vinegar is a taste preference, as is adding
sesame oil, which should be added only to flavor, and should never be the
primary frying oil. Oyster sauce is also optional. I like it in moderation.
Oyster sauce and fish sauce are both potent, and are pretty foreign to the
palates of most Americans. Use them sparingly, at least at first.

--Bryan
Bruce 0.77 Beta
2021-10-18 00:11:59 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 17:05:14 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
Post by Bryan Simmons
Sesame oil is a flavoring oil. Canola is just awful. Reduced sodium Kikkoman
is nice, though I prefer reduced sodium San-J tamari. The best neutral oil is
high oleic sunflower, but peanut is good too. Olive oil is not neutral, and you
should only use it if you want olive flavor, which I wouldn't want in an Asian
stir fry.
The olive oil we use is neutral.
Post by Bryan Simmons
Including rice wine, or rice wine vinegar is a taste preference, as is adding
sesame oil, which should be added only to flavor, and should never be the
primary frying oil. Oyster sauce is also optional. I like it in moderation.
Oyster sauce and fish sauce are both potent, and are pretty foreign to the
palates of most Americans. Use them sparingly, at least at first.
I thought you were a melting pot! I learnt that in high school. Now I
live in a melting pot country.