Last one
Add Reply
Lucretia Borgia
2022-01-08 15:21:16 UTC
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
Ed Pawlowski
2022-01-08 15:39:32 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
Nice !
Graham
2022-01-08 15:41:07 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
This has been the second xmas season that I have not eaten, or even seen
a mince pie. No regrets!
Dave Smith
2022-01-08 15:55:12 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
This has been the second xmas season that I have not eaten, or even seen
a mince pie. No regrets!
I broke down just before Christmas and made some mince meat tarts. My
wife said she could not imagine Christmas without them, so she did not
have to. Now I have half a car of mincemeat leftover.

I have no had mince meat pie in years. It was my mother's standard
dessert for New Years day. It was a nice dessert with 6 or more
people to eat it up. It is way to much mincemeat for me to have to eat
on my own.
Lucretia Borgia
2022-01-08 16:08:39 UTC
On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 10:55:12 -0500, Dave Smith
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
This has been the second xmas season that I have not eaten, or even seen
a mince pie. No regrets!
I broke down just before Christmas and made some mince meat tarts. My
wife said she could not imagine Christmas without them, so she did not
have to. Now I have half a car of mincemeat leftover.
I have no had mince meat pie in years. It was my mother's standard
dessert for New Years day. It was a nice dessert with 6 or more
people to eat it up. It is way to much mincemeat for me to have to eat
on my own.
I make the little mincemeat tarts for Xmas but this is just for
myself, my daughter and SIL tomorrow, so I take the easy route and
just make a pie. We are spoiling ourselves tomorrow, we love
crackling and I got a big piece of pork belly and the butch scored it
nicely for me. I will leave it uncovered in the 'fridge tonight, salt
it tomorrow and slowly roast, hitting the heat towards the end to make
sure the crackling really crunches up. Really rather than pork, it is
crackling for dinner.
Graham
2022-01-08 16:28:13 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
[...]
It's a bugger to find pork with the skin on here. SMs only get skinless
carcasses.
Lucretia Borgia
2022-01-08 18:26:44 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
[...]
Fortunately when I go to the yarn shop she is opposite a small
butcher. I simply call ahead and tell him what I want, he laughs
about us liking the pork belly whole but agrees people don't know what
they are missing :) All is meat is local so he can do it exactly how
you want it.
Dave Smith
2022-01-08 18:30:40 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:26:44 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
[...]
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))
Bruce 4
2022-01-24 07:39:43 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
[...]
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my not frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe
:)))))))))))

Mike Duffy
2022-01-08 17:03:04 UTC
Now I have half a car of mincemeat leftover.
Maybe you should make smaller batches.
Dave Smith
2022-01-08 17:53:04 UTC
Post by Mike Duffy
Post by Dave Smith
Now I have half a car of mincemeat leftover.
Maybe you should make smaller batches.
Or buy a bigger car.
2022-01-09 10:23:34 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
This has been the second xmas season that I have not eaten, or even seen
a mince pie. No regrets!
I broke down just before Christmas
It's an emotional time for many.
Lucretia Borgia
Depends on the mincemeat, I make my grandmothers recipe.
Dave Smith
2022-01-08 16:05:31 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
This has been the second xmas season that I have not eaten, or even seen
a mince pie. No regrets!
Depends on the mincemeat, I make my grandmothers recipe.
I have never made it. I use a commercial mincement and add lots of
brandy or rum.
i***@webtv.net
2022-01-08 22:45:04 UTC
I have never made it. I use a commercial mincement and add lots of
brandy or rum.
I have never made it either and also use the commercial stuff but I do
love mincemeat pies. Lucretia's looks heavenly.
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 11:35:03 UTC
I have never made it. I use a commercial mincement and add lots of
brandy or rum.
I have never made it either and also use the commercial stuff but I do
love mincemeat pies. Lucretia's looks heavenly.
I watched a PBS documentary recently of the history of mince pies.
Hundreds of years ago, they were all meat and savory. Modern mince pies
are more fruity and more like dessert pies.
Lucretia Borgia
2022-01-09 22:41:36 UTC
This is what I use, I confess I often vary the measurements etc.
1 lb Cooking Apples (Granny Smith) peeled, cored and chopped
8 oz Shredded Suet
12 oz Raisins
8 oz. Sultanas (golden raisins)
8 oz Currants
8 oz whole mixed peel, chopped
12 oz Soft brown sugar
Grated rind and juice of 2 oranges
Grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
2 oz. whole almonds cut into slivers (I leave this out)
4 tsps. mixed spice
1/2 tsp powdered cinnamon
1/2 nutmeg, grated
6 tablespoons brandy
Mix all the ingredients, except for the brandy, together in a large
bowl very thoroughly. Cover with a cloth and leave for at least 12
hours.
Place the mincemeat, loosely covered with foil in a cool oven, 225
deg, for three hours. This process slowly melts the suet which coats
the rest of the ingredients and prevents fermentation taking place if
too much juice seeps from the apples during storage. Then allow it
to get quite cold, stir in the brandy and spoon into clean, dry jars.
Cover and seal.
I vary it somewhat. Our fruit is terribly dry so I start by soaking
the fruit in brandy, whisky, rum, sherry whatever is to hand, for 24
hours. Then I do it her way and add a bit more booze in the jars!
Often add more just before I use it too. What the hell, its
Christmas!
That does sound good! I believe if I were to make the homemade stuff
I'd leave out the almonds, too.
I forgot to add, best made before October is out. The Xmas puds and
mincemeat we had was some that went into storage with the furniture
and we didn't have it back until three years later. After that I was
going to try and work it so I was three years ahead of the game but
never really got it finished off.
Michael Trew
2022-01-09 23:14:01 UTC
I have never made it. I use a commercial mincement and add lots of
brandy or rum.
I have never made it either and also use the commercial stuff but I do
love mincemeat pies. Lucretia's looks heavenly.
I watched a PBS documentary recently of the history of mince pies.
Hundreds of years ago, they were all meat and savory. Modern mince pies
are more fruity and more like dessert pies.
Meat was a treat back then, not surprising.

I think that I read at one point, as meat became more scarce at one
point in history, "fruity" mincemeat pies became popular, and it seems
that style has stuck.
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 23:14:51 UTC
[...]
Thanks, I'm saving that. I've never made it before. You said this was
a relative's recipe, your grandmother's, or someone?
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 23:21:59 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
Thanks, I'm saving that. I've never made it before. You said this was
a relative's recipe, your grandmother's, or someone?
Lucretia has 9 grandmothers and 17 siblings.
2022-01-10 19:07:14 UTC
Post by Michael Trew
Thanks, I'm saving that. I've never made it before. You said this was
a relative's recipe, your grandmother's, or someone?
Lucretia has 9 grandmothers and 17 siblings.
Uhm, Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
Graham
2022-01-08 16:30:40 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
This has been the second xmas season that I have not eaten, or even seen
a mince pie. No regrets!
Depends on the mincemeat, I make my grandmothers recipe.
One year I made 5-6 dozen one Sunday and they were all gone by
Wednesday! The kids had hollow legs as, I suspect, did some of their
friends.
Dave Smith
2022-01-08 17:44:44 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
This has been the second xmas season that I have not eaten, or even seen
a mince pie. No regrets!
Don't worry. I don't even know what it is. Mince meat?
US Janet
2022-01-08 16:28:19 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 11:21:16 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
that is one good looking pie. Blueberry?
Janet US
Lucretia Borgia
Nope, Xmas mincemeat :)
Dave Smith
2022-01-08 21:29:01 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
that is one good looking pie. Blueberry?
Janet US
Nope, Xmas mincemeat :)
Over here we don't eat mice.

2022-01-09 04:05:02 UTC
On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 13:29:01 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons
Post by Bryan Simmons
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
that is one good looking pie. Blueberry?
Janet US
Nope, Xmas mincemeat :)
Over here we don't eat mice.
http://youtu.be/ajtB6bVmClE
--Bryan
Uhm, Dit is mijn kikker. Ghe Ghe Ghe.
That *does* look good and my guess was blueberry, not mince.
Dave Smith
2022-01-09 10:24:38 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
that is one good looking pie. Blueberry?
Janet US
That *does* look good and my guess was blueberry, not mince.
I wasn't sure if it was a fruit lovers pie or an animal haters pie.
2022-01-08 17:10:27 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
Sorry, on my screen I can't see that it is mince.
Janet US
Neither me, could be blueberry or blackberry, or ?
I like mince meat pie but it's typically not that dark. mince meat is
usually a dark brown and splotchy depending on the mince meat
ingredients. Might be concord grape pie.
GM
2022-01-08 17:26:26 UTC
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
Looks divine...!!!
2022-01-08 20:47:43 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 11:21:16 -0400, Lucretia Borgia
Post by Lucretia Borgia
https://postimg.cc/LJDGY1x0
Last one of the season!
Uhm, Ghe Ghe Ghe. This is my frogger. Yes. Ghe Ghe Ghe :)))))))))))