The End of the Year Assessment Shopping
jmcquown
2014-12-31 21:52:15 UTC
I went to the Club pretty early (before 11AM). No petit filets left; I
was told they were gone within 20 minutes. I brought home four very
nice NY strip steaks. Re-wrapped and into the freezer.

I brought home two quarts of brie soup and two quarts of the crab bisque.

I'm having brie soup for dinner tonight topped with some buttered
toasted croutons. :) I remember this brie soup from about four years
ago. Funny I never see it featured as the soup of the day. I can't
remember ever seeing them mention brie in any dish. Suddenly they have
brie soup for sale. ;)

People were giving the expensive pies a pass. I didn't see anyone
leaving with bottles of wine they were getting rid of, either.

Oh well, I got some nice food and it took a small chunk out of the
remaining dining assessment. :)

Jill
rosie
The Brie soup with toasted croutns sounds really good.
Kalmia
2014-12-31 23:55:55 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I went to the Club pretty early (before 11AM). No petit filets left; I
was told they were gone within 20 minutes. I brought home four very
nice NY strip steaks. Re-wrapped and into the freezer.
I brought home two quarts of brie soup and two quarts of the crab bisque.
I'm having brie soup for dinner tonight topped with some buttered
toasted croutons. :) I remember this brie soup from about four years
ago. Funny I never see it featured as the soup of the day. I can't
remember ever seeing them mention brie in any dish. Suddenly they have
brie soup for sale. ;)
People were giving the expensive pies a pass. I didn't see anyone
leaving with bottles of wine they were getting rid of, either.
Oh well, I got some nice food and it took a small chunk out of the
remaining dining assessment. :)
Jill
I take it you made a dent in the 2015 assessment.

Might be a good time to make a game plan to pay it off, now that you know the types of things which'll be available throughout the year.
jmcquown
2015-01-01 00:46:40 UTC
Post by Kalmia
Post by jmcquown
[...]
No, this event was for people to use up the 2014 assessment. They do it
at the end of every year.
Post by Kalmia
Might be a good time to make a game plan to pay it off, now that you know the types of things which'll be available throughout the year.
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place. It's
not that I don't know what types of food will be available.

Jill
Gary
2015-01-01 12:09:36 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place. It's
not that I don't know what types of food will be available.
This makes no sense to me, Jill. If you didn't buy enough of the food
yesterday to meet your 2014 $800 assessment, you will get a bill for
the remainder soon. You will have to pay this but have nothing to
show for it. Prices of the food offered mean nothing in that
case....no matter what, they would have been "free" to you.

Say if you had $200 left on your assessment, you will pay this anyway.
You could have applied the money to wine or pies or even Chicken
soup. You will pay for them soon but you get nothing.

G.
sf
2015-01-01 15:31:13 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place. It's
not that I don't know what types of food will be available.
This makes no sense to me, Jill. If you didn't buy enough of the food
yesterday to meet your 2014 $800 assessment, you will get a bill for
the remainder soon. You will have to pay this but have nothing to
show for it. Prices of the food offered mean nothing in that
case....no matter what, they would have been "free" to you.
Say if you had $200 left on your assessment, you will pay this anyway.
You could have applied the money to wine or pies or even Chicken
soup. You will pay for them soon but you get nothing.
That's my opinion too. So what if the wine is over priced, at least
you're getting something instead of nothing and not totally donating
your money to The Club.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
jmcquown
2015-01-01 20:34:09 UTC
Post by sf
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place. It's
not that I don't know what types of food will be available.
This makes no sense to me, Jill. If you didn't buy enough of the food
yesterday to meet your 2014 $800 assessment, you will get a bill for
the remainder soon. You will have to pay this but have nothing to
show for it. Prices of the food offered mean nothing in that
case....no matter what, they would have been "free" to you.
Say if you had $200 left on your assessment, you will pay this anyway.
You could have applied the money to wine or pies or even Chicken
soup. You will pay for them soon but you get nothing.
That's my opinion too. So what if the wine is over priced, at least
you're getting something instead of nothing and not totally donating
your money to The Club.
The wine (as I understand it) is stuff they couldn't sell during the
year, probably for good reason. I bought things I know I will eat/use.
The NY strip steaks look very good. The brie soup I had last night
was delicious. I know the crab bisque is good, too.

As for the overall assessment, I made a concerted effort in 2014 to eat
there. I also ordered dinners to go, things I knew could be repackaged
and would freeze well.

I can't help it if I can't find $800 worth of meals that interest me in
the course of 12 months. People who love to eat in restaurants likely
have no problem meeting the dining assessment.

BTW, them holding the annual event would indicate I'm not the only one
who hadn't used up the assessment yet. That, and they're clearing out
stock. (Oddly, NY strip steaks are not a regular thing on their menu.)

There was a man at the reception desk waiting for someone to show him
around the Club. Not that it matters but he was English by his accent.
While he was waiting he saw the pies, the soups, the raw steaks on the
tables. He said something like, "Oh, is there a shop?" The
receptionist said they only do this the last day of the year. I chimed
up and said, "It's a way to use up the assessment if you haven't eaten
enough this year." She said she liked my description. :)

He said to me, "Does everyone eat in restaurants then?" Well, no, but
you have to go to Lady's Island for the nearest grocery stores. "Lady's
Island?" Yes, you had to come through it to get here. He indicated
just getting here had him a bit frazzled; he didn't notice Lady's
Island. Not that there is much to notice.

The shopping situation must be confusing to newbies.

Jill
Kalmia
2015-01-01 22:17:28 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by sf
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
If I were in your boots, I would simply divide the 800 dollars into 67 dollars per month and go spend that amount by the end of the month, come hell or high water, even if it all does come on a 'Kaiser'. I don't think I'd have a problem at all spending that amount, even if it were on freezables like soups.

Methinks maybe you are just balking at the idea of having to spend that assessment. I know it sticks in yer craw, but what are your options otherwise?

Maybe you can waylay a tourist on the mainland or sumthin and offer to treat them. You spend the money at the club, the tourist reimburses you - voila, assessment satisfied.
sf
2015-01-02 06:46:20 UTC
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 14:17:28 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
Post by Kalmia
If I were in your boots, I would simply divide the 800 dollars into 67 dollars per month and go spend that amount by the end of the month
+1
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Pico Rico

That is exactly what ANYONE else on the planet would do.
Julie Bove
Most likely. I'd be having my friends over for a free (for them) meal.
sf
2015-01-01 22:50:00 UTC
Post by jmcquown
The wine (as I understand it) is stuff they couldn't sell during the
year, probably for good reason.
The mark up is probably horrendous (4X), but that part doesn't matter
at the end of the year when you're just trying to get something
tangible to use up the rest of your assessment. Do they list the
wines online? You can always look them up at home, since you don't
have a smartphone to do it on the spot.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
jmcquown
2015-01-02 00:08:53 UTC
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
The wine (as I understand it) is stuff they couldn't sell during the
year, probably for good reason.
The mark up is probably horrendous (4X), but that part doesn't matter
at the end of the year when you're just trying to get something
tangible to use up the rest of your assessment. Do they list the
wines online? You can always look them up at home, since you don't
have a smartphone to do it on the spot.
LOL you forget, cell phones (no matter how smart they are) don't work
well here. I posted a link last week about what was available.

They weren't even all that expensive, I simply wasn't interested in
buying wine.

Jill
Janet
2015-01-02 01:22:21 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@comcast.net
says...
Post by jmcquown
http://i61.tinypic.com/2h2gvfr.gif
They weren't even all that expensive, I simply wasn't interested in
buying wine.
Even if you didn't want to drink it, wine makes a good present for
friends and hosts.. if you are invited to someone's home, or for
someone's birthday, anniversary, wedding etc, or just a thankyou token
for some favour you receive.

Anything better than losing the unused allowance you've paid for.

Janet UK
Sqwertz
2015-01-02 03:00:00 UTC
Post by Janet
Even if you didn't want to drink it, wine makes a good present for
friends and hosts.. if you are invited to someone's home, or for
someone's birthday, anniversary, wedding etc, or just a thankyou token
for some favour you receive.
Really. I can't think of any reason not to get the wine, at least.
It's a matter of principle. You bitch about how they force you to pay
this $830 and then you give them even MORE than that by not getting
your full $830 worth. It just doesn't make any sense.

Take the wine and throw it away, at the very least ("Stick it to The
Man"). Or more reasonably, give it away or use it to cook with.
Widen your "cooking with wine" repitiore.

-sw
Pico Rico
2015-01-02 03:15:32 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Janet
Even if you didn't want to drink it, wine makes a good present for
friends and hosts.. if you are invited to someone's home, or for
someone's birthday, anniversary, wedding etc, or just a thankyou token
for some favour you receive.
Really. I can't think of any reason not to get the wine, at least.
It's a matter of principle. You bitch about how they force you to pay
this $830 and then you give them even MORE than that by not getting
your full $830 worth. It just doesn't make any sense.
Take the wine and throw it away, at the very least ("Stick it to The
Man"). Or more reasonably, give it away or use it to cook with.
Widen your "cooking with wine" repitiore.
-sw
or she can use it to drown her sorrows and stop bitching. I'd suggest
letting it turn to vinegar, but she is sour enough as it is.
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 04:38:08 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Janet
Even if you didn't want to drink it, wine makes a good present for
friends and hosts.. if you are invited to someone's home, or for
someone's birthday, anniversary, wedding etc, or just a thankyou token
for some favour you receive.
Really. I can't think of any reason not to get the wine, at least.
It's a matter of principle. You bitch about how they force you to pay
this $830 and then you give them even MORE than that by not getting
your full $830 worth. It just doesn't make any sense.
Take the wine and throw it away, at the very least ("Stick it to The
Man"). Or more reasonably, give it away or use it to cook with.
Widen your "cooking with wine" repitiore.
-sw
Exactly. I would find a way to use it up. And high prices are no excuse.
She has to pay the $830 anyway so might as well get something for it.
Becca EmaNymton
2015-01-02 17:44:45 UTC
Post by Sqwertz
Post by Janet
Even if you didn't want to drink it, wine makes a good present for
friends and hosts.. if you are invited to someone's home, or for
someone's birthday, anniversary, wedding etc, or just a thankyou token
for some favour you receive.
Really. I can't think of any reason not to get the wine, at least.
It's a matter of principle. You bitch about how they force you to pay
this $830 and then you give them even MORE than that by not getting
your full $830 worth. It just doesn't make any sense.
Take the wine and throw it away, at the very least ("Stick it to The
Man"). Or more reasonably, give it away or use it to cook with.
Widen your "cooking with wine" repitiore.
-sw
You can take wine to a party, give a bottle to your hairdresser,
veterinarian, to friends and family. After my children became teenagers,
I had no problem meeting an assessment, they would eat at the club after
swim practice, etc. Teenaged boys are bottomless pits, they never stop
eating.

Becca
sf
2015-01-02 06:42:53 UTC
sf
2015-01-02 06:42:20 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
The wine (as I understand it) is stuff they couldn't sell during the
year, probably for good reason.
The mark up is probably horrendous (4X), but that part doesn't matter
at the end of the year when you're just trying to get something
tangible to use up the rest of your assessment. Do they list the
wines online? You can always look them up at home, since you don't
have a smartphone to do it on the spot.
LOL you forget, cell phones (no matter how smart they are) don't work
well here.
I thought you said others on the island had cell phones that worked
but there was some issue with your carrier. <shrug>
Post by jmcquown
I posted a link last week about what was available.
http://i61.tinypic.com/2h2gvfr.gif
I didn't see that post.
Post by jmcquown
They weren't even all that expensive, I simply wasn't interested in
buying wine.
Okay, it's your choice to give your money away. I guess you don't
have a hair dresser, mail carrier, garbage man, dentist, vet etc that
you might have wanted to give a little Christmas/New Year's
appreciation gift to.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
jmcquown
2015-01-02 11:19:22 UTC
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
LOL you forget, cell phones (no matter how smart they are) don't work
well here.
I thought you said others on the island had cell phones that worked
but there was some issue with your carrier. <shrug>
The people who have cell phones that work *inside* their homes had to
get some sort of signal booster from their carrier (some had to pay for
it, others said they didn't). Otherwise, it's hit or miss regardless.
(It's not really a Dataw issue, it's the Saint Helena area in general.)
Post by jmcquown
They weren't even all that expensive, I simply wasn't interested in
buying wine.
Okay, it's your choice to give your money away. I guess you don't
have a hair dresser, mail carrier, garbage man, dentist, vet etc that
you might have wanted to give a little Christmas/New Year's
appreciation gift to.
Nice suggestions, really! I get my hair trimmed (straight across the
bottom) about once a year. I don't even know the names of the people
who work there and they definitely don't know mine. The other folks, I
tend to look at it like do I tip them? Nope. Lord knows Persia's vet
charged enough over the years, she should be the one giving out gifts! ;)

I've been sick since October. I was having trouble eating much of
*anything*; I sure wasn't thinking about the dining assessment.

Jill
Dave Smith
2015-01-02 14:50:18 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Nice suggestions, really! I get my hair trimmed (straight across the
bottom) about once a year. I don't even know the names of the people
who work there and they definitely don't know mine. The other folks, I
tend to look at it like do I tip them? Nope. Lord knows Persia's vet
charged enough over the years, she should be the one giving out gifts! ;)
How about an act of charity. Take a bunch of homeless people to dinner
at the club.
Hope you are feeling better soon Jill.
jmcquown
2015-01-02 15:22:57 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by jmcquown
Nice suggestions, really! I get my hair trimmed (straight across the
bottom) about once a year. I don't even know the names of the people
who work there and they definitely don't know mine. The other folks, I
tend to look at it like do I tip them? Nope. Lord knows Persia's vet
charged enough over the years, she should be the one giving out gifts! ;)
How about an act of charity. Take a bunch of homeless people to dinner
at the club.
Hmmmm, I don't know how many homeless people I could fit into my 2-door
Hyundai. Someone might have to hover over the stick shift. Potential
OUCH! I could fit three, maybe four really skinny people in the back
seat. I suppose if I left the hatchback open two or three more people
could ride in the trunk. LOLOL
Post by Dave Smith
Post by jmcquown
I've been sick since October. I was having trouble eating much of
*anything*; I sure wasn't thinking about the dining assessment.
Hope you are feeling better soon Jill.
Thanks, Dave. Happy New Year!

Jill
sf
2015-01-02 16:51:49 UTC
Post by jmcquown
I've been sick since October. I was having trouble eating much of
*anything*; I sure wasn't thinking about the dining assessment.
Hope you start feeling better soon! Too bad the club doesn't deliver,
it would be nice service for people who are under the weather. Sounds
like a gig for Waiters on Wheels (it's a local company). :)
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
jmcquown
2015-01-03 00:04:42 UTC
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
I've been sick since October. I was having trouble eating much of
*anything*; I sure wasn't thinking about the dining assessment.
Hope you start feeling better soon!
Thank you! I highly recommend Crohn's Disease for anyone who wants to
drop a quick 15 pounds. <j/k - not wishing it on anyone> I just
finished up a prescription and will be discussing the long term plan
with the doctor next week.

Meanwhile, I'm able to eat but find I'm just not very hungry. That's
why I only had that baked acorn squash for dinner last Monday.
Post by sf
Too bad the club doesn't deliver,
it would be nice service for people who are under the weather. Sounds
like a gig for Waiters on Wheels (it's a local company). :)
Delivery would be nice. They could use a golf cart! :-D

Jill
Becca EmaNymton
2015-01-02 17:51:51 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by sf
Okay, it's your choice to give your money away. I guess you don't
have a hair dresser, mail carrier, garbage man, dentist, vet etc that
you might have wanted to give a little Christmas/New Year's
appreciation gift to.
Nice suggestions, really! I get my hair trimmed (straight across the
bottom) about once a year. I don't even know the names of the people
who work there and they definitely don't know mine. The other folks, I
tend to look at it like do I tip them? Nope. Lord knows Persia's vet
charged enough over the years, she should be the one giving out gifts! ;)
I've been sick since October. I was having trouble eating much of
*anything*; I sure wasn't thinking about the dining assessment.
Jill
Hope you are feeling better, Jill.

Becca
jmcquown
2015-01-02 23:21:18 UTC
Post by Becca EmaNymton
Post by jmcquown
Post by sf
Okay, it's your choice to give your money away. I guess you don't
have a hair dresser, mail carrier, garbage man, dentist, vet etc that
you might have wanted to give a little Christmas/New Year's
appreciation gift to.
Nice suggestions, really! I get my hair trimmed (straight across the
bottom) about once a year. I don't even know the names of the people
who work there and they definitely don't know mine. The other folks, I
tend to look at it like do I tip them? Nope. Lord knows Persia's vet
charged enough over the years, she should be the one giving out gifts! ;)
I've been sick since October. I was having trouble eating much of
*anything*; I sure wasn't thinking about the dining assessment.
Jill
Hope you are feeling better, Jill.
Becca
Thanks, Becca! Got the diagnosis so at least I know what's going on.
Hopefully I'll find out the long-term plan for treatment/management when
I see the doc next week.

Jill
Someone Else
2015-01-03 03:35:34 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by jmcquown
They weren't even all that expensive, I simply wasn't interested in
buying wine.
Okay, it's your choice to give your money away. I guess you don't
have a hair dresser, mail carrier, garbage man, dentist, vet etc that
you might have wanted to give a little Christmas/New Year's
appreciation gift to.
Nice suggestions, really! I get my hair trimmed (straight across the
bottom) about once a year.
You sure as hell don't need them to trim any hair that's left on the top
of your head!
cshenk
2015-01-01 16:01:12 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place.
It's not that I don't know what types of food will be available.
This makes no sense to me, Jill. If you didn't buy enough of the food
yesterday to meet your 2014 $800 assessment, you will get a bill for
the remainder soon. You will have to pay this but have nothing to
show for it. Prices of the food offered mean nothing in that
case....no matter what, they would have been "free" to you.
Say if you had $200 left on your assessment, you will pay this anyway.
You could have applied the money to wine or pies or even Chicken
soup. You will pay for them soon but you get nothing.
G.
The only thing I can guess is she used up what she had waiting. If
not, she either has a later chance or she wasted the money with nothing
to show for it at all.

At the least I'd have gotten some wine and gifted it to others if
nothing else.

jmcquown
2015-01-01 18:38:18 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place. It's
not that I don't know what types of food will be available.
This makes no sense to me, Jill. If you didn't buy enough of the food
yesterday to meet your 2014 $800 assessment, you will get a bill for
the remainder soon. You will have to pay this but have nothing to
show for it. Prices of the food offered mean nothing in that
case....no matter what, they would have been "free" to you.
I don't know what you mean by "free". You pay for whatever you buy,
dine in, take-out, or don't buy anything at all. What I picked up
yesterday will be on this month's bill along with the balance of about $200.

I do go there to eat, although more often I get things to go and
repackage and freeze it for later. I tried throughout the year and
still didn't meet the $800 (technically $830).
Post by Gary
Say if you had $200 left on your assessment, you will pay this anyway.
You could have applied the money to wine or pies or even Chicken
soup. You will pay for them soon but you get nothing.
G.
Knowing nothing about them, the wines they had for sale didn't interest
me. (I didn't see anyone else rushing to buy them, either.) I bought
four quarts of soup and four NY strip steaks. Things I *know* I'll eat. :)

Jill
Kalmia
I don't get it either. ANYTHING, no matter how 'overvalued', is better than NOTHING. If nothing else, she can give it to a neighbor or friend. Load up on wine for gifts.
jmcquown
2015-01-01 19:45:58 UTC
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place. It's
not that I don't know what types of food will be available.
This makes no sense to me, Jill. If you didn't buy enough of the food
yesterday to meet your 2014 $800 assessment, you will get a bill for
the remainder soon. You will have to pay this but have nothing to
show for it. Prices of the food offered mean nothing in that
case....no matter what, they would have been "free" to you.
Say if you had $200 left on your assessment, you will pay this anyway.
You could have applied the money to wine or pies or even Chicken
soup. You will pay for them soon but you get nothing.
G.
I don't get it either. ANYTHING, no matter how 'overvalued', is better than NOTHING. If nothing else, she can give it to a neighbor or friend. Load up on wine for gifts.
I did buy some things. As for my friends/neighbors, they have to deal
with the assessment, same as I do. The woman next door and I were
talking about this last month. She eats there a lot but being a single
person she doesn't put much of a dent in the assessment, either.

The fact that it's an assessment makes it sound easy. Take the Club and
the assessment out of the equation for a moment.

What if you HAD to spend $$$ dollars on the last day of the year? You
can only choose from a few specific items on a list. Would you buy
something you know you wouldn't eat or use just to be able say you spent
the money? Perhaps. I'd rather buy things I know I'll eat/use.

It is my understanding the wines they had for sale are wines they
couldn't sell during the year. There are people on Dataw a lot more
knowledgeable about wine than I am which would seem to indicate they
aren't good wines. Just overpriced wines.

Jill
Pico Rico
2015-01-01 20:10:02 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
it is clear that you consider wasting money so you can bitch about it is
money well spent. good for you.
Ophelia
2015-01-01 21:14:57 UTC
Post by Pico Rico
Post by jmcquown
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
Did we not do all this last year ... and the year before ... and the ...
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
jmcquown
2015-01-01 21:53:02 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Pico Rico
Post by jmcquown
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
Hey! Now you're replying to me (and the pico troll) just like you
accuse others of doing with Julie! What happened to don't want to read
it, skip it? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Jill
Pico Rico
2015-01-01 22:30:22 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Pico Rico
Post by jmcquown
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
I thought you were going to show us the courtesy of including DATAW in your
subject lines.
Ophelia
2015-01-01 22:59:35 UTC
Post by Pico Rico
Post by Ophelia
Post by Pico Rico
Post by jmcquown
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
I find it absolutely fascinating, that given the vicious bile and cruel
jibes she regularly spits out, such a mild comment could be so upsetting:)))
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
jmcquown
2015-01-02 00:17:44 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Pico Rico
Post by jmcquown
Post by Ophelia
Post by Pico Rico
Post by jmcquown
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
Thus spake Ophelia the Benficent in another thread where she didn't like
someone criticizing:

"So now ... breath deeply and ignore stuff you don't like:)) Trust me,
it makes time here so much more simple and enjoyable:))"

Uh huh. How about you follow your own rules?

Jill
Julie Bove
Yes. But that's what they do. Same old, same old...
Kalmia
2015-01-02 00:32:52 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Yes. But that's what they do. Same old, same old...
And you're not a case of same old, same old?

Why don't you divorce the hub ( he'd probably be thrilled ) and move in with O. You two'd get along just fine. She can use all her cooking expertise trying to work around your intolerances, and perchance publish a cookbook for finicky eaters.

This is going to be an interesting year here.
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 01:58:27 UTC
Post by Kalmia
Post by Julie Bove
Yes. But that's what they do. Same old, same old...
And you're not a case of same old, same old?
Why don't you divorce the hub ( he'd probably be thrilled ) and move in
with O. You two'd get along just fine. She can use all her cooking
expertise trying to work around your intolerances, and perchance publish a
cookbook for finicky eaters.
This is going to be an interesting year here.
Move in with O? Oprah? No thanks. And nobody could publish a cookbook for
finicky eaters. What a stupid thing to say. People are finicky for all
sorts of reasons.
jmcquown
2015-01-02 14:24:24 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
And nobody could publish a cookbook
for finicky eaters. What a stupid thing to say. People are finicky for
all sorts of reasons.
Puleeeze! Someone could publish an entire *series* of cook books based
on the constantly changing likes and dislikes of your family. I've even
come up with a title for it: "We Like It, We Like It Not". Volumes 1-12.

Too bad they don't still publish those Time-Life series books anymore.
The tales could have been sold in monthly installments. ;)

Jill
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 14:37:12 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
And nobody could publish a cookbook
for finicky eaters. What a stupid thing to say. People are finicky for
all sorts of reasons.
Puleeeze! Someone could publish an entire *series* of cook books based on
the constantly changing likes and dislikes of your family. I've even come
up with a title for it: "We Like It, We Like It Not". Volumes 1-12.
Too bad they don't still publish those Time-Life series books anymore. The
tales could have been sold in monthly installments. ;)
Well of course anyone could publish a book but that doesn't mean that it
would sell to its intended audience. Sort of like those useless diabetic
cookbooks that well meaning people are always buying for us and we just give
away. Because they're rather useless.
Jeßus
2015-01-02 20:12:10 UTC
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 17:58:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Kalmia
Post by Julie Bove
Yes. But that's what they do. Same old, same old...
And you're not a case of same old, same old?
Why don't you divorce the hub ( he'd probably be thrilled ) and move in
with O. You two'd get along just fine. She can use all her cooking
expertise trying to work around your intolerances, and perchance publish a
cookbook for finicky eaters.
This is going to be an interesting year here.
Move in with O? Oprah? No thanks.
Right. You didn't know who she was referring to. Sure...
sorts of reasons.
Jeßus
2015-01-02 20:09:45 UTC
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 16:32:52 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
Post by Kalmia
Post by Julie Bove
Yes. But that's what they do. Same old, same old...
And you're not a case of same old, same old?
Why don't you divorce the hub ( he'd probably be thrilled ) and move in with O. You two'd get along just fine. She can use all her cooking expertise trying to work around your intolerances, and perchance publish a cookbook for finicky eaters.
This is going to be an interesting year here.
Heh. Yeah, looks like it. What's the sudden outbreak of bitchiness
about - something to do with the holidays?
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 00:13:53 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
I wouldn't wait. I would get extras of things throughout the year. Sure I
might only use part of whatever I got but I would find a way to use that
money up!
Jill
Ed Pawlowski
2015-01-02 00:34:30 UTC
Post by jmcquown
It is my understanding the wines they had for sale are wines they
couldn't sell during the year. There are people on Dataw a lot more
knowledgeable about wine than I am which would seem to indicate they
aren't good wines. Just overpriced wines.
Jill
I'd have taken 8 bottles of wine. Looks like it is OK stiff made by one
of the Mondavi sons, but not a great wine. Retails about $12 a bottle.
You can always make Sangria with it.

http://www.spellboundwines.com/about-spellbound-wines.php
Because Spellbound wines pair so well with food, they've become a
favorite choice for fine and casual restaurants, from neighborhood
venues to popular destinations, such as Hyatt Hotels, Macaroni Grill, PF
Chang's, Flemings Prime Rib, and Ritz-Carlton Hotels. The unique,
eye-catching moon label and delicious, approachable wines have also
assured Spellbound's success in off-premise channels
jmcquown
2015-01-02 00:49:27 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by jmcquown
[...]
Too late now. I had never heard of it and didn't see anyone even
looking at the wines, much less buying any.

Jill
sf
2015-01-02 07:08:36 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Too late now. I had never heard of it and didn't see anyone even
looking at the wines, much less buying any.
That's why you should have looked them up. I would have taken the
Willamette Valley Pinot without a second thought. Wine from that area
is excellent.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
heyjoe
2015-01-02 01:14:38 UTC
Post by jmcquown
The fact that it's an assessment makes it sound easy. Take the Club and
the assessment out of the equation for a moment.
I HATE property taxes, but they're predictable and budgetable. Haven't
had an egregious surprise for a long time.

Call it whatever you want - assesment, tax, mad money. Fact is, you're
forced to spend $15-$16 every week of the year. Like any budget, deal
with it every week. There's no excuse for a BIG surprise at year end.

An assessment of $850 per year is annoying - but not a show stopper.
It's $15-$16 every week! Get the best value you can every week (or two
weeks), but DON'T fall off your spending plan.

And complain LOUDLY when those a$$hats fail to provide quality product
each and every week.

Out of the box thought - the Association needs to speed up year end
sales to once every quarter. Why is the Assocaition tying up money in
under-selling wine for an entire year? That's our money! And it needs
work better/harder.
--
"I jotted down three names: Julia Child, Mr. Wizard and Monty Python"
A. Brown
sf
2015-01-02 07:11:41 UTC
Post by heyjoe
Post by jmcquown
[...]
She has already made it abundantly clear that they don't care what
anybody thinks, even when faced with a lawsuit.

Happy New Year, Joe. Hope you drop in more often in 2015.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
jmcquown
2015-01-02 11:41:51 UTC
Post by sf
Post by heyjoe
Post by jmcquown
[...]
That, I agree with. I will suggest they do that and see what happens in
2015.
Post by sf
She has already made it abundantly clear that they don't care what
anybody thinks, even when faced with a lawsuit.
Just got an email the other day about a lawsuit they "settled" (no
admission of any wrongdoing) even though it was dismissed by one judge
after another. The plaintiffs kept appealing. Dataw finally got tired
of dealing with it. The court-approved settlement (to be split among
multiple plaintiffs) was only $150,000. I doubt that covered the cost
attorney fees.
Post by sf
Happy New Year, Joe. Hope you drop in more often in 2015.
Same here!

Jill
Becca EmaNymton
2015-01-02 17:47:50 UTC
Post by heyjoe
Post by jmcquown
[...]
It is nice to see you back.

Becca
sf
2015-01-02 07:07:36 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Just overpriced wines.
If they are over priced, so what? At least you're getting something
tangible for your money instead of donating it to Dataw.

I still think Kalmia is correct (probably because I said the same
thing last year): divide your assessment up and attack your it one
month at a time. It's not hard to spend $50-60 a month on restaurant
food, especially when it's Club food. Have one or two lunches + plus
a dinner and your monthly allotment will be completely shot. You and
your neighbor can enjoy yourselves there together. She's trying to
move, so this is as good a time as any to do it.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 00:12:22 UTC
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place. It's
not that I don't know what types of food will be available.
This makes no sense to me, Jill. If you didn't buy enough of the food
yesterday to meet your 2014 $800 assessment, you will get a bill for
the remainder soon. You will have to pay this but have nothing to
show for it. Prices of the food offered mean nothing in that
case....no matter what, they would have been "free" to you.
Say if you had $200 left on your assessment, you will pay this anyway.
You could have applied the money to wine or pies or even Chicken
soup. You will pay for them soon but you get nothing.
G.
I don't get it either. ANYTHING, no matter how 'overvalued', is better
than NOTHING. If nothing else, she can give it to a neighbor or friend.
Load up on wine for gifts.
Wine wouldn't interest me and I don't know enough people who drink it to do
that but most things can be frozen or repurposed into something else. Heck,
you could get plain hamburger patties and chop them up for chili or
casseroles. Vegetables can be used for soup.
jmcquown
2015-01-02 00:20:14 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
The wine didn't interest me either. They weren't selling hamburger
patties or vegetables. Quarts of three types of soups, raw steaks, pies
and wine.

Jill
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 01:55:39 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Kalmia
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
[...]
But they were selling those things throughout the year. If a hamburger is
listed on the menu, you could buy just the patty. Tell them to leave the
rest off. Or just get the burger to go, take it home, dispose of the rest
and keep the patty. You have a situation that could be easily remedied.
jmcquown
2015-01-02 11:31:21 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by jmcquown
The wine didn't interest me either. They weren't selling hamburger
patties or vegetables. Quarts of three types of soups, raw steaks,
pies and wine.
But they were selling those things throughout the year. If a hamburger
is listed on the menu, you could buy just the patty. Tell them to leave
the rest off. Or just get the burger to go, take it home, dispose of
the rest and keep the patty. You have a situation that could be easily
remedied.
If I'm going to buy a burger I'll order one and eat it there... cooked
nearly rare, thank you. Bringing home pre-cooked hamburger patties to
use in chili or casseroles falls into your baliwick.

Jill
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 14:08:19 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by Julie Bove
Post by jmcquown
The wine didn't interest me either. They weren't selling hamburger
patties or vegetables. Quarts of three types of soups, raw steaks,
pies and wine.
But they were selling those things throughout the year. If a hamburger
is listed on the menu, you could buy just the patty. Tell them to leave
the rest off. Or just get the burger to go, take it home, dispose of
the rest and keep the patty. You have a situation that could be easily
remedied.
If I'm going to buy a burger I'll order one and eat it there... cooked
nearly rare, thank you. Bringing home pre-cooked hamburger patties to use
in chili or casseroles falls into your baliwick.
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com. My point is,
there would be ways ways to use up that allotment throughout the year if you
tried.
jmcquown
2015-01-02 14:53:36 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by jmcquown
Post by Julie Bove
Post by jmcquown
The wine didn't interest me either. They weren't selling hamburger
patties or vegetables. Quarts of three types of soups, raw steaks,
pies and wine.
But they were selling those things throughout the year. If a hamburger
is listed on the menu, you could buy just the patty. Tell them to leave
the rest off. Or just get the burger to go, take it home, dispose of
the rest and keep the patty. You have a situation that could be easily
remedied.
If I'm going to buy a burger I'll order one and eat it there... cooked
nearly rare, thank you. Bringing home pre-cooked hamburger patties to
use in chili or casseroles falls into your baliwick.
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com.
How sad you have such trouble looking up words. "baliwick" or
"baillwick" - having to do with ones area of expertise, interest or skill.

Using pre-cooked hamburger patties definitely falls into your area.

I like to cook ground beef with whatever seasonings suit the dish. I
definitely have never crumbled already cooked hamburger patties into
anything.
Post by Julie Bove
My point
is, there would be ways ways to use up that allotment throughout the
year if you tried.
And my point was I did try to use up the assessment, as best I could.

You also mentioned vegetables. Sorry, they don't sell fresh vegetables.
They aren't running a farm stand. Most people don't order salad "to
go". I have no idea what you mean when you bring up buying vegetables
in the context of this thread.

Jill
Gary
2015-01-02 15:13:27 UTC
Post by jmcquown
And my point was I did try to use up the assessment, as best I could.
So you are going to pay the balance of the assessment ($200 or so) and
have nothing but you could have had more food or wine at no extra
cost.

Is your natural hair color blonde, by any chance? ;)

Jill, I love you but you sound very stupid on this issue. ;-O
jmcquown
2015-01-02 15:34:17 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
And my point was I did try to use up the assessment, as best I could.
So you are going to pay the balance of the assessment ($200 or so) and
have nothing but you could have had more food or wine at no extra
cost.
Whatever, Gary.
Post by Gary
Is your natural hair color blonde, by any chance? ;)
Dumb blonde jokes aside, funny you should ask. My hair is red.
Post by Gary
Jill, I love you but you sound very stupid on this issue. ;-O
Think what you will. Heyjoe suggested it should be a quarterly event.
Great idea! I wrote to them and proposed it. I'm obviously not the
only person who needs the "use up" the assessment.

Jill
sf
2015-01-02 16:59:09 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Heyjoe suggested it should be a quarterly event.
Great idea! I wrote to them and proposed it. I'm obviously not the
only person who needs the "use up" the assessment.
It would certainly give them a chance to clean out the freezer on a
regular basis and do more cooking with fresh ingredients. They might
even get customers, but that would mean no more "free" money in the
pot. They have quite a racquet going for themselves. I wonder how
much cash goes straight into the pockets of board members?
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Nancy Young
2015-01-02 17:04:37 UTC
Post by sf
pot. They have quite a racquet going for themselves. I wonder how
much cash goes straight into the pockets of board members?
It's been discussed before, and the way the board pushes things
you wonder if they're getting kickbacks.

I wonder if they've had an independent audit, ever.

nancy
jmcquown
2015-01-02 23:35:56 UTC
Post by Nancy Young
Post by sf
pot. They have quite a racquet going for themselves. I wonder how
much cash goes straight into the pockets of board members?
It's been discussed before, and the way the board pushes things
you wonder if they're getting kickbacks.
I wonder if they've had an independent audit, ever.
nancy
You and I have certainly talked about it outside of RFC. Last year they
really pushed for people to sign a 2-year contract with Hargray for DSL
service. (Hargray had no intention of running the lines unless they got
a certain number of people to sign on the dotted line and bring their
check books.) Their latest push involves presentations for 3M window
tinting film.

Jill
Julie Bove
I agree with you there.
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 16:56:45 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by Julie Bove
Post by jmcquown
Post by Julie Bove
Post by jmcquown
[...]
Perhaps you meant bailiwick?
Post by jmcquown
Using pre-cooked hamburger patties definitely falls into your area.
So? I'm sure I didn't invent it.
Post by jmcquown
I like to cook ground beef with whatever seasonings suit the dish. I
definitely have never crumbled already cooked hamburger patties into
anything.
Well perhaps you should start. Or ask them to sell you uncooked patties.
Would they do that?
Post by jmcquown
Post by Julie Bove
My point
is, there would be ways ways to use up that allotment throughout the
year if you tried.
And my point was I did try to use up the assessment, as best I could.
You didn't try very hard.
Post by jmcquown
You also mentioned vegetables. Sorry, they don't sell fresh vegetables.
They aren't running a farm stand. Most people don't order salad "to go".
I have no idea what you mean when you bring up buying vegetables in the
context of this thread.
I have seen a lot of salads listed from the menus that you posted. I
realize that you don't eat salads. But I have also seen vegetables listed
on those menus. And those things would freeze.

Because there are so many foods that I can't eat, when I see a menu, I look
not for how they have the foods prepared but what is listed. For instance,
if I see burgers listed, I know that they will likely have tomatoes and will
sell me a plate of tomato slices if I ask. Bad example for you as you don't
eat tomatoes. They most likely do have potatoes though. And a plain baked
potato will freeze.
jmcquown
2015-01-03 00:20:48 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Because there are so many foods that I can't eat, when I see a menu, I
look not for how they have the foods prepared but what is listed. For
instance, if I see burgers listed, I know that they will likely have
tomatoes and will sell me a plate of tomato slices if I ask. Bad
example for you as you don't eat tomatoes. They most likely do have
potatoes though. And a plain baked potato will freeze.
I WISH I could eat tomatoes. Damn seeds. :)

Funny thing about baked potatoes. Their menus say they will make
substitutions but I guess they don't really mean it. One evening I
ordered some broiled fish. It came with fries: steak fries, skinny
fries or sweet potato fries. I wasn't in the mood for fries. I asked
if I could get a baked potato instead. I *know* they had baked potatoes
because it was Prime Rib Night*. Nope, sorry, you can't get a baked
potato unless you order the prime rib.

What can I say? They're goofy like that. This is why I doubt they'd
sell me a few plain baked potatoes to go. If I think about it the next
time I'm there I'll ask.

*Prime Rib Night is a rather pricey buffet arrangement. Carving
station, salad, soup, steamed veggies (nearly always carrots, broccoli
and cauliflower, heavy on the carrots), rolls, desserts.

Jill
Brooklyn1
You'd find it in most dictionaries if spelled correctly; bailiwick.
Julie Bove
Yes. I did find that.
sf
2015-01-02 16:54:49 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com.
Google knows.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Pico Rico
2015-01-02 18:02:26 UTC
but only because google has a spell checker
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 22:57:42 UTC
Nope. Helps when the word is spelled correctly.
Brooklyn1
2015-01-02 23:02:20 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by sf
Post by Julie Bove
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com.
Google knows.
Nope. Helps when the word is spelled correctly.
Were you truly an English major you would have known how to look up
the correct spelling, and not made and not made your imbecile remark.
Doris Night
2015-01-03 01:16:36 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com.
Google knows.
Nope. Helps when the word is spelled correctly.
You don't need the word spelled correctly. I just went to Google and
entered "baliwick" (the incorrect spelling). By the time I got to the
w Google corrected me thusly:

"Showing results for bailiwick"

Right after that, Google gave me the definition.

I very often use Google when I'm not sure how to spell something. Just
start typing the word and if your spelling is incorrect, it gives you
the correction.

Doris
jmcquown
2015-01-03 02:53:35 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com.
Google knows.
Nope. Helps when the word is spelled correctly.
You don't need the word spelled correctly. I just went to Google and
entered "baliwick" (the incorrect spelling). By the time I got to the
"Showing results for bailiwick"
Right after that, Google gave me the definition.
I very often use Google when I'm not sure how to spell something. Just
start typing the word and if your spelling is incorrect, it gives you
the correction.
Doris
Bast forgive me for making a typo. My meaning was the same, regardless. :)

Jill
Doris Night
2015-01-03 04:08:46 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com.
Google knows.
Nope. Helps when the word is spelled correctly.
You don't need the word spelled correctly. I just went to Google and
entered "baliwick" (the incorrect spelling). By the time I got to the
"Showing results for bailiwick"
Right after that, Google gave me the definition.
I very often use Google when I'm not sure how to spell something. Just
start typing the word and if your spelling is incorrect, it gives you
the correction.
Doris
Bast forgive me for making a typo. My meaning was the same, regardless. :)
Bailiwick is not a word I would use in everyday conversation, and even
though I'd heard it before, I actually wasn't sure about the spelling
until I googled it. I knew what you meant, though, and if "the writer"
Julie had googled the word she would have figured it out as well.

Doris
Julie Bove
Oh I did. But I shouldn't have had to resort to that.
sf
2015-01-03 15:41:11 UTC
On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 20:45:41 -0800, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Doris Night
Bailiwick is not a word I would use in everyday conversation, and even
though I'd heard it before, I actually wasn't sure about the spelling
until I googled it. I knew what you meant, though, and if "the writer"
Julie had googled the word she would have figured it out as well.
Oh I did. But I shouldn't have had to resort to that.
You needed to that time.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Pico Rico
2015-01-03 15:46:56 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Doris Night
Bailiwick is not a word I would use in everyday conversation, and even
though I'd heard it before, I actually wasn't sure about the spelling
until I googled it. I knew what you meant, though, and if "the writer"
Julie had googled the word she would have figured it out as well.
Oh I did. But I shouldn't have had to resort to that.
yes, you should have know the word in the first place, like the rest of us.
But you did, troll!
Julie Bove
Yeah. Because she spelled an obscure word wrong.
jmcquown
2015-01-03 16:28:59 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Doris Night
Bailiwick is not a word I would use in everyday conversation, and even
though I'd heard it before, I actually wasn't sure about the spelling
until I googled it. I knew what you meant, though, and if "the writer"
Julie had googled the word she would have figured it out as well.
Oh I did. But I shouldn't have had to resort to that.
You needed to that time.
Yeah. Because she spelled an obscure word wrong.
As if everyone spells everything right all the time. As for obscure, it
fit. You'd have had to look it up no matter how I spelled it.

My point was even for the assessment I wouldn't buy *cooked* hamburgers
then take them home and crumble them to make, well, anything. That's
your thing, not mine.

Jill
Brooklyn1
2015-01-03 13:52:24 UTC
Post by Doris Night
Bailiwick is not a word I would use in everyday conversation,
Bailiwick has become archaic... mowadays it's Da Hood... or Nabe
Post by Doris Night
though I'd heard it before, I actually wasn't sure about the spelling
until I googled it. I knew what you meant, though, and if "the writer"
Julie had googled the word she would have figured it out as well.
Her inability to use a dictionary just proves that Julie is a writer
like I'm an astronaut... Julie is a speedy typist but she's one of the
poorest writers I've encountered on the net, her writing is
humorless/witless, totally without merit, and grossly verbose... no
one else expends more keystrokes to say so little as Julie Verbove.
Julie Bove
I am not a speedy typist at all. And I don't care what your opinion is! :)
Dave Smith
2015-01-03 16:22:30 UTC
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Doris Night
though I'd heard it before, I actually wasn't sure about the spelling
until I googled it. I knew what you meant, though, and if "the writer"
Julie had googled the word she would have figured it out as well.
Her inability to use a dictionary just proves that Julie is a writer
like I'm an astronaut... Julie is a speedy typist but she's one of the
poorest writers I've encountered on the net, her writing is
humorless/witless, totally without merit, and grossly verbose... no
one else expends more keystrokes to say so little as Julie Verbove.
Hold it.... was she a writer? We were under the impression that she was
because she said she was. When confronted with that she claimed that she
never said that she was a writer. Then someone found archived posts from
her that she claimed to be one. Sorry, but I have as much trouble
keeping track of her lies as she does. I just thought it was funny as
hell that she didn't know the meaning of the word "ignorant" and that
she was too stupid to look it up, not to mention the hilarity of someone
claiming to be or to have been a writer not knowing the meaning of the
word and not thinking it was an important one to know.
sf
2015-01-03 15:40:27 UTC
On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 23:08:46 -0500, Doris Night
Post by Doris Night
if "the writer"
Julie had googled the word she would have figured it out as well.
You should know by this time that Julie doesn't use Google. She uses
some virtually unknown shopping search engine.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Julie Bove
2015-01-03 16:04:15 UTC
Post by Doris Night
if "the writer"
Julie had googled the word she would have figured it out as well.
You should know by this time that Julie doesn't use Google. She uses
some virtually unknown shopping search engine.
It's Swagbucks and it is very much not unknown. I just won a Swagstakes and
will be getting a $5 Walmart gift card. Pays to use it.
Julie Bove
Okay but the word was unfamiliar to me and I didn't know how to spell it.
Brooklyn1
2015-01-03 14:03:47 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Julie Bove
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com.
Google knows.
Nope. Helps when the word is spelled correctly.
You don't need the word spelled correctly. I just went to Google and
entered "baliwick" (the incorrect spelling). By the time I got to the
"Showing results for bailiwick"
Right after that, Google gave me the definition.
I very often use Google when I'm not sure how to spell something. Just
start typing the word and if your spelling is incorrect, it gives you
the correction.
Doris
Bast forgive me for making a typo. My meaning was the same, regardless. :)
Okay but the word was unfamiliar to me and I didn't know how to spell it.
Anyone who writes at the 5th grade level doesn't buy your alibi.
*Cleanliness* is what's unfamiliar to you... don't know to clean up
the attributions when you post, you FILTH... your posting style is the
same as your unwashed crotch. Julie is a slob.
sf
2015-01-03 15:39:12 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com.
Google knows.
Nope. Helps when the word is spelled correctly.
You don't need the word spelled correctly. I just went to Google and
entered "baliwick" (the incorrect spelling). By the time I got to the
"Showing results for bailiwick"
Right after that, Google gave me the definition.
I very often use Google when I'm not sure how to spell something. Just
start typing the word and if your spelling is incorrect, it gives you
the correction.
Doris
Bast forgive me for making a typo. My meaning was the same, regardless. :)
She (not Doris) does that. The rest of us didn't need to play
spelling police because knew the word and what you meant.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Nancy Young
2015-01-03 16:24:43 UTC
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
Bast forgive me for making a typo. My meaning was the same, regardless. :)
She (not Doris) does that. The rest of us didn't need to play
spelling police because knew the word and what you meant.
It's another one of those words I wouldn't be likely to use
in conversation but I know what it means. I'm thinking people
who grew up reading a lot recognize words like that.

nancy
jmcquown
2015-01-03 16:35:25 UTC
Post by Nancy Young
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
Bast forgive me for making a typo. My meaning was the same,
regardless. :)
She (not Doris) does that. The rest of us didn't need to play
spelling police because knew the word and what you meant.
It's another one of those words I wouldn't be likely to use
in conversation but I know what it means. I'm thinking people
who grew up reading a lot recognize words like that.
nancy
It's probably the only time I've ever typed it. Incorrect spelling or
not, most people with a good vocabulary were able to figure it out based
on context.

Jill
S Viemeister
2015-01-03 16:38:07 UTC
Post by Nancy Young
It's another one of those words I wouldn't be likely to use
in conversation but I know what it means. I'm thinking people
who grew up reading a lot recognize words like that.
Yes.
It's amazing what reading can do for one's vocabulary.

sf
2015-01-03 15:37:17 UTC
On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 20:16:36 -0500, Doris Night
Post by Doris Night
I very often use Google when I'm not sure how to spell something. Just
start typing the word and if your spelling is incorrect, it gives you
the correction.
Yep, me too. It also helps me when I'm trying to think of "a word
that describes..."
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
sf
2015-01-03 15:35:33 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
No clue what baliwick means and it's not at dictionary.com.
Google knows.
Nope. Helps when the word is spelled correctly.
You didn't even try. Google knew and it gave the correct spelling
too.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Pico Rico
maybe her google has "sensitivities".
Julie Bove
Yes. I know that.
Julie Bove
That's what I think too.
jmcquown
2015-01-02 00:12:08 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place. It's
not that I don't know what types of food will be available.
This makes no sense to me, Jill. If you didn't buy enough of the food
yesterday to meet your 2014 $800 assessment, you will get a bill for
the remainder soon. You will have to pay this but have nothing to
show for it. Prices of the food offered mean nothing in that
case....no matter what, they would have been "free" to you.
Say if you had $200 left on your assessment, you will pay this anyway.
You could have applied the money to wine or pies or even Chicken
soup. You will pay for them soon but you get nothing.
That's what I think too.
You couldn't/wouldn't have eaten a single thing they had to choose from:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2h2gvfr.gif

Jill
Julie Bove
2015-01-02 01:54:15 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Gary
Post by jmcquown
Try as I might I simply cannot spend $800 on food at this place. It's
not that I don't know what types of food will be available.
This makes no sense to me, Jill. If you didn't buy enough of the food
yesterday to meet your 2014 $800 assessment, you will get a bill for
the remainder soon. You will have to pay this but have nothing to
show for it. Prices of the food offered mean nothing in that
case....no matter what, they would have been "free" to you.
Say if you had $200 left on your assessment, you will pay this anyway.
You could have applied the money to wine or pies or even Chicken
soup. You will pay for them soon but you get nothing.
That's what I think too.
http://i61.tinypic.com/2h2gvfr.gif
But I don't live alone. I also would have found a way to use that up during
the year. As I said... I am sure that they have burgers at some point. I
would have gotten just hamburger patties, taken them home and frozen them.
It is rare for me to order some as is from a menu. I would have taken the
wine and donated it. The dance studio has a wine basket raffle at least
once a year. I would have found a way to use it up. Then again, I wouldn't
live there!