When you're really hungry
John Kuthe
2014-10-31 01:53:46 UTC
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!

John Kuthe...

---
Brooklyn1
2014-10-31 02:05:37 UTC
No seafood then it needs cheese, lots.
John Kuthe
2014-10-31 12:17:57 UTC
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:05:37 -0400, Brooklyn1
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
No seafood then it needs cheese, lots.
It *could* use a lot, but this was allI put on, and like I said it was
not bad!

John Kuthe...

---
Brooklyn1
Just curious, what kind of pasta?
John Kuthe
2014-10-31 16:58:06 UTC
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
No seafood then it needs cheese, lots.
It *could* use a lot, but this was all I put on, and like I said it was
not bad!
Just curious, what kind of pasta?
Barilla boring old regular. I normally buy BArilla whole grain or
whatever, but I picked the wrong boxes once and have a few boxes of
the regular laying around I'm using up, slowly.

John Kuthe...

---
Brooklyn1
I should have said what shape?
John Kuthe
2014-11-01 04:53:05 UTC
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
No seafood then it needs cheese, lots.
It *could* use a lot, but this was all I put on, and like I said it was
not bad!
Just curious, what kind of pasta?
Barilla boring old regular. I normally buy BArilla whole grain or
whatever, but I picked the wrong boxes once and have a few boxes of
the regular laying around I'm using up, slowly.
I should have said what shape?
Linguini.

John Kuthe...

---
Julie Bove
2014-11-01 00:59:14 UTC
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
No seafood then it needs cheese, lots.
It *could* use a lot, but this was all I put on, and like I said it was
not bad!
Just curious, what kind of pasta?
Barilla boring old regular. I normally buy BArilla whole grain or
whatever, but I picked the wrong boxes once and have a few boxes of
the regular laying around I'm using up, slowly.
I think I'm going to eventually go back to the regular. I prefer the whole
wheat. Husband doesn't seem to care but daughter doesn't like it. She
would eat a the Kraft mac and cheese that was part whole wheat but that
became hard to find and it was more expensive. *sigh* We don't eat much
pasta any more anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.
Julie Bove
2014-10-31 03:40:25 UTC
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
John Kuthe...
I used to make that minus the red pepper and plus Parmesan. Are the red
pepper flakes really hot?
John Kuthe
2014-10-31 12:16:54 UTC
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:40:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
John Kuthe...
I used to make that minus the red pepper and plus Parmesan. Are the red
pepper flakes really hot?
Nah, just hot enough.

John Kuthe...

---
Janet Bostwick
2014-10-31 05:25:01 UTC
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
John Kuthe...
Pasta, olive oil, lots of garlic, fresh ground pepper works too.
Parmesan if you have it.
Janet US
Thomas
2014-10-31 12:27:49 UTC
Lasagna with garlic bread or (and) a T-bone is not bad!
Brooklyn1
2014-10-31 15:54:45 UTC
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
Lasagna with garlic bread or (and) a T-bone is not bad!
I can't remember ever seeing steak offered at an Italian restaurant...
never seen garlic bread offered at a steak house. Good lasagna
already contains more than enough meat, and garlic... a t-bone would
be wasted/TIAD.
Janet Wilder
2014-10-31 20:14:33 UTC
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
Lasagna with garlic bread or (and) a T-bone is not bad!
I can't remember ever seeing steak offered at an Italian restaurant...
never seen garlic bread offered at a steak house. Good lasagna
already contains more than enough meat, and garlic... a t-bone would
be wasted/TIAD.
I have, but those restaurants were in Italy, so you probably wouldn't know.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Brooklyn1
2014-10-31 21:22:30 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
Lasagna with garlic bread or (and) a T-bone is not bad!
I can't remember ever seeing steak offered at an Italian restaurant...
never seen garlic bread offered at a steak house. Good lasagna
already contains more than enough meat, and garlic... a t-bone would
be wasted/TIAD.
I have, but those restaurants were in Italy, so you probably wouldn't know.
I've been to Italy, several times, and traveled throughout
extensively... in Italy restaurants will sell most anything, on the
menu or not, even the owner's barmaid daughter is for sale, fact.
European morality is very much different from the US... prostitution
is not frowned upon... in some countries it's legal, in some countries
not but not enforced, the cops look the other way, only the gossip
mongers are interested. Italy is a land of procurers, whether you
want a t-bone or a lamb chop with your lasagna ask and it shall
arrive.
m***@gmail.com
Thanks. Not all of us have Great-Grandpas to tell us how "things are" in Europe based on the experience of a 20 year-old in the 50s who couldn't put his dick away. Are you EVER going to die?
Ed Pawlowski
2014-11-01 15:10:49 UTC
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Thomas
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
Lasagna with garlic bread or (and) a T-bone is not bad!
I can't remember ever seeing steak offered at an Italian restaurant...
never seen garlic bread offered at a steak house. Good lasagna
already contains more than enough meat, and garlic... a t-bone would
be wasted/TIAD.
Never saw them ofered as part of an Italian dish. Many restaurants have
steak for those that don't like their specialty but are part of a group.
One couple we often dine with, the husband most always orders steak,
even if we go to a really good seafood place.

I, OTOH, rarely order steak out. I make a really good steak at home and
I go out for things I don't easily make at home.
Moe DeLoughan
2014-11-05 15:53:41 UTC
Post by Brooklyn1
I can't remember ever seeing steak offered at an Italian restaurant...
never seen garlic bread offered at a steak house.
I live in an area that is thickly populated with generations-old
family-owned Italian restaurants, and most of them have steaks on
their menus. A couple of them are specifically Italian steakhouses,
and they also have pasta on their menus.
All of them, including the steakhouses serve garlic bread.

In fact, I just ate at one of them the other night (the Little Oven)
and at another one last week (Donatellis). The latter was featured on
that Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives tv show, as was our local drive-in
Italian restaurant (the Dari-ette). Yep, they still have car-hops. Oh,
and I hit Tinuccis last week, too. Hoping to get to Vescios some time
in the next few weeks. And that's just a small handful of the dozens
of options we have here. I just can't understand people who go to the
Olive Garden when we are swimming in real, traditional, family-run
Italian options.
Pico Rico
where are you located? We don't have your options.
Moe DeLoughan
2014-11-05 16:52:13 UTC
Post by Pico Rico
Post by Moe DeLoughan
Post by Brooklyn1
[...]
St. Paul, Minnesota. An awful lot of Italian immigrants came to
Minnesota and a lot of those families are still running the family
businesses: restaurants, mostly, but also some truck farming or
delis/grocery stores. Jeno Pauluicci and Mama Vitale, both with their
food lines, were from Minnesota.
Pico Rico
2014-11-05 17:00:25 UTC
Post by Pico Rico
Post by Moe DeLoughan
Post by Brooklyn1
[...]
Well, there are Italians all over, but I never thought or heard of Minnesota
being a center like NYC, Boston, S.F. Good for you!
sf
2014-11-05 16:58:23 UTC
Post by Moe DeLoughan
Post by Brooklyn1
I can't remember ever seeing steak offered at an Italian restaurant...
never seen garlic bread offered at a steak house.
I live in an area that is thickly populated with generations-old
family-owned Italian restaurants, and most of them have steaks on
their menus. A couple of them are specifically Italian steakhouses,
and they also have pasta on their menus.
All of them, including the steakhouses serve garlic bread.
In fact, I just ate at one of them the other night (the Little Oven)
and at another one last week (Donatellis). The latter was featured on
that Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives tv show, as was our local drive-in
Italian restaurant (the Dari-ette). Yep, they still have car-hops. Oh,
and I hit Tinuccis last week, too. Hoping to get to Vescios some time
in the next few weeks. And that's just a small handful of the dozens
of options we have here.
That's really nice. I've always thought Nordic cultures were a big
influence up there and never gave Italian a second thought.
Dave Smith
2014-11-05 17:37:51 UTC
Post by Moe DeLoughan
I live in an area that is thickly populated with generations-old
family-owned Italian restaurants, and most of them have steaks on their
menus. A couple of them are specifically Italian steakhouses, and they
also have pasta on their menus.
All of them, including the steakhouses serve garlic bread.
That is my experience too. I imagine most of us see the same thing,
different at it may be from Sheldon's declaration of facts.
Kalmia
2014-10-31 20:43:31 UTC
I'd try to get some mashed anchovies into that mix.
l***@fl.it
2014-10-31 22:30:06 UTC
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:43:31 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
Post by Kalmia
Post by John Kuthe
a big bowl of plain pasta with butter, oregano, black pepper and some
red pepper flakes is not bad!
I'd try to get some mashed anchovies into that mix.
Just chopped would be nice :)