Christmas menu?
Julie Bove
2014-12-13 10:08:58 UTC
I know it's still early but I am planning. Especially since if I want to
get any meat or produce from my CSA, I will have to order it early.

I just can't think of anything to make this year. I do have the 1/2 a loaf
of cranberry bread in the freezer. I will take that out for me and I have a
few pumpkin mixes. I think they are scones and cheesecake. I do have the
cream cheese for that.

Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.

I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas day.
Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of any one
thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day! Thought I would
have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few weeks and made it
again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies. And then he didn't want
it again. So... Grrr...

We're not big into desserts so that's not a concern. I will make do with
what I have here. Not even sure if I will do a special breakfast because
those weren't liked the last several times that I made them. I tried
various casseroles.

Have you decided what you will make or serve?
Ed Pawlowski
2014-12-13 15:13:36 UTC
On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 02:08:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
Have you decided what you will make or serve?
Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week. Probably both
mashed and sweet potatoes with it and a veggie to be decided. It is a
big ham so some will be frozen for the future.

Ham means cabbage soup the following week.

Tonight is the company Christmas party with prime rib dinner. The
Saturday after Christmas we will go to a friends house for their
family dinner and have prime rib again. New Years will be a pork
roast.
Gary
2014-12-13 17:38:57 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week.
I got a Christmas gift pack from Nodines a couple of years ago. Great
food there!

G.
Brooklyn1
2014-12-13 17:46:38 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
Have you decided what you will make or serve?
Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week.
It is a big ham so some will be frozen for the future.
Ham means cabbage soup the following week.
Cured or fresh?

Never occurs to me to put ham in cabbage soup, perhaps smoked cured
ham for a sauerkraut soup/braise of sorts... to me cured ham invokes
bean/pea soup... can't think of a soup with fresh ham, maybe a Chinese
restaurant soup with julienned roast fresh ham/pork.

I'm planning on a roast butt half fresh ham for New Year with a potato
kugel, chunky apple sauce, and some sort of green veggie (maybe
creamed spinach).
Ed Pawlowski
2014-12-13 18:07:02 UTC
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
Have you decided what you will make or serve?
Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week.
It is a big ham so some will be frozen for the future.
Ham means cabbage soup the following week.
Cured or fresh?
Never occurs to me to put ham in cabbage soup, perhaps smoked cured
ham for a sauerkraut soup/braise of sorts... to me cured ham invokes
bean/pea soup... can't think of a soup with fresh ham, maybe a Chinese
restaurant soup with julienned roast fresh ham/pork.
Cured. My wife put the bone in the pot for starters, then adds some cut
up ham, potatoes, carrots, celery,a can or two of tomato soup, and
finally the cabbage. Her mother made it that way and so it continues.
Brooklyn1
2014-12-13 19:27:30 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
Have you decided what you will make or serve?
Picked up our bone in ham from Nodines last week.
It is a big ham so some will be frozen for the future.
Ham means cabbage soup the following week.
Cured or fresh?
Never occurs to me to put ham in cabbage soup, perhaps smoked cured
ham for a sauerkraut soup/braise of sorts... to me cured ham invokes
bean/pea soup... can't think of a soup with fresh ham, maybe a Chinese
restaurant soup with julienned roast fresh ham/pork.
Cured. My wife put the bone in the pot for starters, then adds some cut
up ham, potatoes, carrots, celery,a can or two of tomato soup, and
finally the cabbage. Her mother made it that way and so it continues.
I make a cabbage soup the same but with beef (chuck), and sweet n'sour
with some raisins and a little fresh lemon. Actually I make it in my
16 qt pot but it's about half filled with stuffed cabbage, the
remainder is cabbage soup, two dishes in one pot. I don't use canned
tomato soup, I prefer canned whole tomatoes. I don't like onions or
garlic in my cabbage soup, and no celery either. I make it the same
way my mother and her mother before her made it. My father could
easily eat a gallon of cabbage soup.
Janet Wilder
2014-12-13 20:44:26 UTC
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
My mother made a "fruit soup" with cabbage, raisins and dried and fresh
fruit for a Jewish holiday that occurred in the Autumn. It was also
sweet and sour. The fresh fruits were seasonal so they were mostly
apples and pears, IIRC. She used red cabbage for this soup and threw in
some flanken for extra body. That soup was awesome! Better than a
laxative!

My mother used tomato juice for stuffed cabbage. One day I was making
it and found that I had no tomato juice but had low-sodium V8. Wow! It
was superb in the stuffed cabbage and now it's in my recipe all the time.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
jmcquown
2014-12-13 21:04:26 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
My mother used tomato juice for stuffed cabbage. One day I was making
it and found that I had no tomato juice but had low-sodium V8. Wow! It
was superb in the stuffed cabbage and now it's in my recipe all the time.
I haven't thought about stuffed cabbage for a long time! I think my
mother used tomato juice, too. I'll have to try it with V-8. :) Thanks.

Jill
Brooklyn1
2014-12-14 01:24:54 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Brooklyn1
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
My mother used flanken too but I can't find it here... back then every
ethnic food imaginable was easily available in Brooklyn.
sf
2014-12-14 07:24:54 UTC
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 11:13:10 UTC
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
Really? We always have a real meal. I sometimes do buy something special
to snack on like a cheese that I don't normally buy but generally we still
have enough stuff left over from Christmas that I don't need to buy anything
special.

New Year's day is when I now try to have a lot of snack food if my husband
is home. When I lived alone it was always the day that I took the tree down
and did my yearly document shredding. I was so busy that I was lucky to be
able to stop and grab something, anything to eat.
Doris Night
2014-12-14 14:53:55 UTC
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
NYE in our house means beef tenderloin roast or rack of lamb or
something equally decadent. I justify the expense by the fact that
we're saving hundreds of dollars by staying home by ourselves.

Doris
graham
2014-12-14 14:59:20 UTC
Post by Doris Night
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
NYE in our house means beef tenderloin roast or rack of lamb or
something equally decadent. I justify the expense by the fact that
we're saving hundreds of dollars by staying home by ourselves.
Good food never has to be justified! :-)
Graham
Gary
2014-12-14 15:55:54 UTC
Post by Doris Night
NYE in our house means beef tenderloin roast or rack of lamb or
something equally decadent. I justify the expense by the fact that
we're saving hundreds of dollars by staying home by ourselves.
That's very true too. You'll spend a small fortune to go out anywhere
on NYE.
Ophelia
2014-12-14 19:52:51 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by Doris Night
NYE in our house means beef tenderloin roast or rack of lamb or
something equally decadent. I justify the expense by the fact that
we're saving hundreds of dollars by staying home by ourselves.
That's very true too. You'll spend a small fortune to go out anywhere
on NYE.
I don't remember that:) I just like to be home for NYE and make it special
for us.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
sf
2014-12-14 17:08:07 UTC
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:53:55 -0500, Doris Night
Post by Doris Night
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
NYE in our house means beef tenderloin roast or rack of lamb or
something equally decadent. I justify the expense by the fact that
we're saving hundreds of dollars by staying home by ourselves.
We never go out on NYE. We used to have big parties, but now it's
just family and maybe one or two sets of long time friends for a quiet
night of chatting in front of the fireplace.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 18:28:26 UTC
Post by sf
We never go out on NYE. We used to have big parties, but now it's
just family and maybe one or two sets of long time friends for a quiet
night of chatting in front of the fireplace.
I stopped going out NYE with husband number 1 because he'd get very drunk.

My second husband and I were married on NYE. This will be my first
anniversary without him. I hope I don't cry all over the grandchild.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Dave Smith
2014-12-14 18:32:12 UTC
Post by sf
We never go out on NYE. We used to have big parties, but now it's
just family and maybe one or two sets of long time friends for a quiet
night of chatting in front of the fireplace.
We used to go out of town to a friend's place, have a great meal with
lots of wine and stay the night. It was my wife's best friend from
childhood. The last time was back in 1998. I thought at the time that
our friend didn't look well. As it turned out, I guess she wasn't. Two
weeks later she dropped dead of a brain aneurysm.

Since that time we have been staying in. Sometimes we have other people
over but most times it us just the two of us. We make a great meal and
can have a few drinks without worrying about driving anywhere.
jmcquown
2014-12-14 14:56:43 UTC
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
He didn't say New Year's Eve, he said New Years. I took that to mean
New Year's Day.

Jill
sf
2014-12-14 17:09:10 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
He didn't say New Year's Eve, he said New Years. I took that to mean
New Year's Day.
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on
me.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
jmcquown
2014-12-14 17:35:44 UTC
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
He didn't say New Year's Eve, he said New Years. I took that to mean
New Year's Day.
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on
me.
Yep, some people do. When I was growing up we always had "holiday
dinners" at Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day.

Like you, I pretty much just make snacky stuff for New Year's Eve.

Earlier this year I bought some frozen spinach/artichoke bites. The
idea was good but they were waaay too salty. I think this year I'll buy
some mini-tart shells and make small quiches with spinach & artichoke.

Jill
sf
2014-12-14 18:11:05 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Earlier this year I bought some frozen spinach/artichoke bites. The
idea was good but they were waaay too salty. I think this year I'll buy
some mini-tart shells and make small quiches with spinach & artichoke.
I like the looks of this spinach and artichoke version
http://simplespice.blogspot.com/2011/10/cheesy-spinach-artichoke-bread-bites.html

DD cuts puff pastry into squares, lines cupcake cups with them, fills
them and bakes (my favorite filling is jam and brie).
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
jmcquown
2014-12-15 00:46:26 UTC
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
Earlier this year I bought some frozen spinach/artichoke bites. The
idea was good but they were waaay too salty. I think this year I'll buy
some mini-tart shells and make small quiches with spinach & artichoke.
I like the looks of this spinach and artichoke version
http://simplespice.blogspot.com/2011/10/cheesy-spinach-artichoke-bread-bites.html
Thanks!
Post by sf
DD cuts puff pastry into squares, lines cupcake cups with them, fills
them and bakes (my favorite filling is jam and brie).
I like the looks of this one:

http://parkhouselove.com/2012/04/09/spinach-artichoke-bites/

Jill
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 18:29:16 UTC
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
He didn't say New Year's Eve, he said New Years. I took that to mean
New Year's Day.
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on
me.
Football watching food.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Dave Smith
2014-12-14 18:33:53 UTC
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
He didn't say New Year's Eve, he said New Years. I took that to mean
New Year's Day.
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on
me.
We always have. My mother used to do pretty much the same for New Years
Day that she did for Christmas, but no Christmas pudding. Dessert was
often warm mince meat pie.
Tara
2014-12-14 19:23:10 UTC
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on me.
We eat our black-eyed peas and greens on New Year's Day.

Tara
Ed Pawlowski
2014-12-14 19:42:17 UTC
Post by sf
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on
me.
Tradition. Pork is supposed to be good luck for some reason and we've
done it for the past 48 years so not much sense changing now. In the
south, I think it is black eye peas.
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 21:51:54 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by sf
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on
me.
Tradition. Pork is supposed to be good luck for some reason and we've
done it for the past 48 years so not much sense changing now. In the
south, I think it is black eye peas.
When we were full-time RVers and spending a few months in the winter in
Rio Hondo, TX (not far from where I live now) We would have a New Years
day party. We'd chip in for fresh oysters and they were done on the
grill, baked with spinach ala Rockefeller and on the half shell with
lemons, horseradish, etc.

Everyone would bring a dish that was the traditional New Years food of
their heritage. One friend from New Mexico always made an awesome
posole. Another made black-eyed peas. Another made dirty rice. The
Nordic heritage folks brought pickled herring. I made either salads or
desserts. It was also BYOB. Those days were so much fun.

Sadly, too many of the participants are gone.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Dave Smith
2014-12-14 22:06:47 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Everyone would bring a dish that was the traditional New Years food of
their heritage. One friend from New Mexico always made an awesome
posole. Another made black-eyed peas. Another made dirty rice. The
Nordic heritage folks brought pickled herring. I made either salads or
desserts. It was also BYOB. Those days were so much fun.
Those nordic people love herring. When we were in Sweden for Midsommer
a few years ago our hosts prepared a wonderful feast for everyone, about
half of which was herring in various forms. We once went for a buffet
in a railway station restaurant and there were many different herring
dishes..... in tomato sauce, in sour cream, in a curry sauce....
All the more reason to celebrate being around for another year ourselves.
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 22:53:47 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Sadly, too many of the participants are gone.
All the more reason to celebrate being around for another year ourselves.
Believe me, I'm celebrating!
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Dave Smith
2014-12-14 22:58:40 UTC
Believe me. I am glad that you are.
Janet Wilder
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
jmcquown
2014-12-14 22:52:04 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by sf
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on
me.
Tradition. Pork is supposed to be good luck for some reason and we've
done it for the past 48 years so not much sense changing now. In the
south, I think it is black eye peas.
Yep, black-eyed peas are traditional New Year's "good luck" food in the
south. I like most legumes but there is something about the texture of
black-eyed peas that puts me off.

Jill
notbob
2014-12-14 23:05:04 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Yep, black-eyed peas are traditional New Year's "good luck" food in the
south. I like most legumes but there is something about the texture of
black-eyed peas that puts me off.
Yes, BEP's are a stretch, both flavorwise and texture. I crave them
only rarely.

nb
Cheri
2014-12-15 00:13:13 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by jmcquown
Yep, black-eyed peas are traditional New Year's "good luck" food in the
south. I like most legumes but there is something about the texture of
black-eyed peas that puts me off.
Yes, BEP's are a stretch, both flavorwise and texture. I crave them
only rarely.
nb
They're one of my favorite things.

Cheri
jmcquown
2014-12-15 00:50:07 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by jmcquown
Yep, black-eyed peas are traditional New Year's "good luck" food in the
south. I like most legumes but there is something about the texture of
black-eyed peas that puts me off.
Yes, BEP's are a stretch, both flavorwise and texture. I crave them
only rarely.
nb
I just can't get enthusiastic about them. The texture is grainy. I'll
have some turnip greens instead. :)

Jill
Janet Wilder
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Ophelia
2014-12-14 19:53:46 UTC
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
He didn't say New Year's Eve, he said New Years. I took that to mean
New Year's Day.
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on
me.
I plan meals for every day.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Cheri
2014-12-14 20:12:47 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by sf
Post by jmcquown
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
He didn't say New Year's Eve, he said New Years. I took that to mean
New Year's Day.
People actually plan a meal for New Years Day? That's a new one on
me.
I plan meals for every day.
Me too. I always make a small pot of black-eyed peas and ham for New Year's
Day, served with crusty white cornbread and lots of butter. I splurge with
those calories and carbs a very few times a year. :-)

Cehri
Ophelia
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 18:22:26 UTC
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
My granddaughter will be here with me New Years Eve. She is not eating
meat or chicken these days. She eats seafood and fish, but only if the
fish is raw as in sushi. She eats no fried foods, either.

I have a collection of clean, small clam shells and am thinking of
making stuffed clams using canned clams. Maybe some boiled, cold shrimp
with cocktail sauce and some nachos.

Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
graham
2014-12-14 18:35:37 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
My granddaughter will be here with me New Years Eve. She is not eating
meat or chicken these days. She eats seafood and fish, but only if the
fish is raw as in sushi. She eats no fried foods, either.
I have a collection of clean, small clam shells and am thinking of
making stuffed clams using canned clams. Maybe some boiled, cold shrimp
with cocktail sauce and some nachos.
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
Bread and water? :-)
Graham
Tara
2014-12-14 19:28:38 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
My granddaughter will be here with me New Years Eve. She is not eating
meat or chicken these days. She eats seafood and fish, but only if the
fish is raw as in sushi. She eats no fried foods, either.
I have a collection of clean, small clam shells and am thinking of
making stuffed clams using canned clams. Maybe some boiled, cold shrimp
with cocktail sauce and some nachos.
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
What a nice grandmother you are. I like your ideas. Would she like crab
(or krab) dip or crab legs? Maybe -- quesadillas, pizza, cucumber
sandwiches, pimento cheese, hummus, spinach dip, and crackers and crudite.

Tara
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 21:43:10 UTC
Post by Tara
Post by Janet Wilder
My granddaughter will be here with me New Years Eve. She is not eating
meat or chicken these days. She eats seafood and fish, but only if the
fish is raw as in sushi. She eats no fried foods, either.
I have a collection of clean, small clam shells and am thinking of
making stuffed clams using canned clams. Maybe some boiled, cold shrimp
with cocktail sauce and some nachos.
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
What a nice grandmother you are. I like your ideas. Would she like crab
(or krab) dip or crab legs? Maybe -- quesadillas, pizza, cucumber
sandwiches, pimento cheese, hummus, spinach dip, and crackers and crudite.
Tara
Those all sound good. Definitely the crudites. Quesdadillas can always
be made here. Maybe with some guacamole on the side.

She loves lobster, but she's not getting any here. If crab legs are on
sale, I will get some.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Brooklyn1
2014-12-14 19:35:12 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
My granddaughter will be here with me New Years Eve. She is not eating
meat or chicken these days. She eats seafood and fish, but only if the
fish is raw as in sushi. She eats no fried foods, either.
I have a collection of clean, small clam shells and am thinking of
making stuffed clams using canned clams. Maybe some boiled, cold shrimp
with cocktail sauce and some nachos.
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
Perhaps she'd enjoy cerviche... and then there're herrings, and lox.
Of course pickled/cured fish is not really raw... but then neither is
canned clams and boiled shrimp raw. Canned clams are awful... see if
you can find Long Island frozen shucked clams, restaurant food
emporiums may have them... in containers that look like milk cartons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceviche
http://www.doxseelegend.com/LONG%20ISLAND%20SEA%20CLAM%20COMPANY/doxsee_sea_clam_co.htm
Ophelia
2014-12-14 19:55:12 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
My granddaughter will be here with me New Years Eve. She is not eating
meat or chicken these days. She eats seafood and fish, but only if the
fish is raw as in sushi. She eats no fried foods, either.
I have a collection of clean, small clam shells and am thinking of making
stuffed clams using canned clams. Maybe some boiled, cold shrimp with
cocktail sauce and some nachos.
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
I can't help but I just know it is wonderful to have time with a
granddaughter:))

Enjoy:))
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 21:56:06 UTC
Post by Ophelia
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
My granddaughter will be here with me New Years Eve. She is not
eating meat or chicken these days. She eats seafood and fish, but
only if the fish is raw as in sushi. She eats no fried foods, either.
I have a collection of clean, small clam shells and am thinking of
making stuffed clams using canned clams. Maybe some boiled, cold
shrimp with cocktail sauce and some nachos.
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
I can't help but I just know it is wonderful to have time with a
granddaughter:))
Enjoy:))
I am looking forward to her visit. Next Fall she goes off to college
where she will, no doubt, lose that refreshing naivete that she has now
at 17. We are going to drive up to Corpus Christi one day to visit the
Art museum and the State Aquarium. She is one of those people whom,
when she walks into a room, the lights come on.

We are very much alike except that she has a beautiful singing voice and
I have one note and it's flat. I promised her I would not sing in the car.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Janet B
2014-12-14 20:20:35 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
My granddaughter will be here with me New Years Eve. She is not eating
meat or chicken these days. She eats seafood and fish, but only if the
fish is raw as in sushi. She eats no fried foods, either.
I have a collection of clean, small clam shells and am thinking of
making stuffed clams using canned clams. Maybe some boiled, cold shrimp
with cocktail sauce and some nachos.
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
I have a Pescatarian grandson. He will eat cooked fish. Do veggie
pizza for her, it's easy to do at home. Nachos is a good idea. Or a
big bowl of salsa you've made to go with the chips. Don't forget the
refries for protein.
Janet US
notbob
2014-12-14 20:27:43 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
Howzabout a size 12 workboot up the backside! ;)

nb
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 22:03:27 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by Janet Wilder
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
Howzabout a size 12 workboot up the backside! ;)
nb
Not funny.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Dave Smith
2014-12-14 22:46:09 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by notbob
Post by Janet Wilder
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
Howzabout a size 12 workboot up the backside! ;)
nb
Not funny.
I thought it was. ;-I have to bear in mind that the topic is Christmas
and not a religious holiday for you. Being a non-believer, it is not
really a religious holiday for me either. Never the less, it is a very
special day for me, a time to be together with friends and family, a
time of peace and happiness and giving. It is not just a day for special
foods, but a season for special foods.

I have to say that turkey is not my favourite meat. Never the less, it
is part of the holiday tradition, and it is part of the memories of
special dinners over the years. As Christmas rolls around I can't help
but think of all those years of Christmas dinners.... turkey with
stuffing and gravy, mashed potatoes, mincemeat tarts, Christmas pudding
and shortbread. It also makes me think of the people who celebrated with
us, my parents, grandparents and other friends and family who are no
longer with us.

I think you should go ahead and have the sorts of things that are
traditional to you. In years to come she may come to appreciate the
significance of those foods and to associate them with you.
notbob
2014-12-14 23:01:17 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by notbob
Howzabout a size 12 workboot up the backside! ;)
Not funny.
I thought it was.
I meant no harm, but I am one who firmly believes guests do not
dictate the menu. If invited guest is not liking the provided meal,
let said guest bring a freakin' box lunch. ;)

nb
Dave Smith
You can come here for a meal any time. BYOF ;-)
Janet Wilder
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Janet Wilder
2014-12-15 02:18:09 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by notbob
Howzabout a size 12 workboot up the backside! ;)
Not funny.
I thought it was.
I meant no harm, but I am one who firmly believes guests do not
dictate the menu. If invited guest is not liking the provided meal,
let said guest bring a freakin' box lunch. ;)
nb
This is a teenaged granddaughter who is traveling by plane herself for
the first time. Where the h_ll is she supposed to get a boxed lunch?

If a guest is a vegetarian, I'm not going to serve roast beef. You
might not care, but I do honor the guests in my home and cook according
to their needs. Grandchildren, especially.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Janet Wilder
2014-12-15 02:12:36 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by notbob
Post by Janet Wilder
[...]
I have no NYE traditional foods other than making nachos for the males
watching football all day long. When the kids were tiny, I'd take them
to Brooklyn to visit the Great Aunts. When they got older and were
either watching football or hanging with friends, I went to the outlet
mall. So much for my New Years Day traditions. :-)
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
sf
2014-12-14 20:32:14 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
My granddaughter will be here with me New Years Eve. She is not eating
meat or chicken these days. She eats seafood and fish, but only if the
fish is raw as in sushi. She eats no fried foods, either.
I have a collection of clean, small clam shells and am thinking of
making stuffed clams using canned clams. Maybe some boiled, cold shrimp
with cocktail sauce and some nachos.
Any other suggestions to appease a picky 17 year-old are appreciated.
Good luck! This would be my chance to gorge on shellfish, but it
sounds like you need to clear everything with her first. Maybe she
can give you a list of what she'll eat. I bet you could talk her into
pizza. They have dough in a bag in the deli section now and it's a
good quality, so that's something that will taste home made without
the effort.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 22:06:45 UTC
Post by sf
Post by Janet Wilder
Post by sf
[...]
I have a wonderful pizzeria here in town. The owner was trained in New
Jersey where he worked for years. His is the only pizza I will eat
outside of New Jersey (except for Chicago which is a totally different
food).

The girl is overweight, so I'd rather not serve pizza. I want to try to
feed her healthy things in the house. I will not control what she
orders in a restaurant (except if she orders lobster).
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Ed Pawlowski
2014-12-14 19:34:42 UTC
Post by sf
New Years will be a pork roast.
You eat real food on NYE? I can't remember eating a real meal on NYE
in "forever". I mean that. Maybe when I was a kid. The most
substantial food I do is fondue, but mainly it's lots of appetizers.
The roast is NY Day. On NYE, it is a bunch of nibbles and champagne at
midnight. The last couple of years though, Midnight came a couple of
hours early.
Julie Bove
Thanks!
Doris Night
2014-12-13 15:17:50 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
This is the first time in about 12 years that I'll be doing Christmas
dinner - it's always been at my MIL's house in the past.

The menu is:

Turkey, dressing, and gravy
Cranberry sauce
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Green beans with almonds
Baked butternut squash
Carrots
Red cabbage & beet slaw

I'm making coconut cream pie for dessert because my MIL mentioned last
week that it was her favourite pie, and I don't remember ever having
it at her house - I think it was something her mother made all the
time. I'll also bake some kind of bundt cake - perhaps Koko's Bishop
Cake.

Doris
jmcquown
2014-12-13 22:41:54 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas day.
Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of any one
thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day! Thought I would
have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few weeks and made it
again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies. And then he didn't want
it again. So... Grrr...
(piggybacking)

So don't buy a "really big beef roast". If you've been reading the
thread about leftover roast there are lots of things you can do with
what (if any) is left.
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
Have you decided what you will make or serve?
Not really. I have a boneless shoulder roast (just shy of 3 lbs.) in
the freezer which would be nice with baked sweet potatoes. Then again,
I might go with grilled lamb chops with garlicky couscous. Either way,
the vegetable sides will depend on what looks good at the farm stand.
Post by Ed Pawlowski
This is the first time in about 12 years that I'll be doing Christmas
dinner - it's always been at my MIL's house in the past.
Turkey, dressing, and gravy
Cranberry sauce
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Green beans with almonds
Baked butternut squash
Carrots
Red cabbage & beet slaw
I'm making coconut cream pie for dessert because my MIL mentioned last
week that it was her favourite pie, and I don't remember ever having
it at her house - I think it was something her mother made all the
time. I'll also bake some kind of bundt cake - perhaps Koko's Bishop
Cake.
Doris
Doris, it sounds like you've got everything well planned. :)

Jill
Doris Night
2014-12-13 23:47:45 UTC
Post by jmcquown
Post by Doris Night
This is the first time in about 12 years that I'll be doing Christmas
dinner - it's always been at my MIL's house in the past.
Turkey, dressing, and gravy
Cranberry sauce
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Green beans with almonds
Baked butternut squash
Carrots
Red cabbage & beet slaw
I'm making coconut cream pie for dessert because my MIL mentioned last
week that it was her favourite pie, and I don't remember ever having
it at her house - I think it was something her mother made all the
time. I'll also bake some kind of bundt cake - perhaps Koko's Bishop
Cake.
Doris
Doris, it sounds like you've got everything well planned. :)
I'm a bit anal-retentive, and I suffer from a touch of OCD. :) You
should see my personal finance spreadsheets.

Doris
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 10:44:09 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
I might just get a really big beef roast from Costco for Christmas day.
Then again, husband has been complaining when I make too much of any one
thing. I made a stir fry and it was all gone in a day! Thought I would
have enough for at least two meals. So I wanted a few weeks and made it
again, doubling the meat and adding more veggies. And then he didn't want
it again. So... Grrr...
(piggybacking)
So don't buy a "really big beef roast". If you've been reading the thread
about leftover roast there are lots of things you can do with what (if
any) is left.
Any time that I have not bought a big one is the time that he eats it all
and leaves none for us. So that is never an option. And I know many ways
to use leftover beef, most of which nobody in this house likes. What some
of us do seem to like though is grabbing some cold beef straight from the
fridge which is generally how the small ones go bye bye in a hurry.
Post by jmcquown
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
Have you decided what you will make or serve?
Not really. I have a boneless shoulder roast (just shy of 3 lbs.) in the
freezer which would be nice with baked sweet potatoes. Then again, I
might go with grilled lamb chops with garlicky couscous. Either way, the
vegetable sides will depend on what looks good at the farm stand.
Yes. I guess I will have to wait and see what the CSA offers that week.
Yep.
Julie Bove
Wow! That's a lot of food!
Janet Wilder
2014-12-13 15:33:12 UTC
The friends I invited for Thanksgiving dinner have invited me for
Christmas. She is making tacos and margaritas. I'll probably bring
something as well.

It's not the food, it's the company
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
KenK
2014-12-13 16:45:00 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
I used to make special meals, usually a stuffed fowl of some kind, but no
more. Too much trouble for one.
Nancy2
2014-12-13 22:11:03 UTC
If I were cooking, which I am not because it is too difficult with a cane in one hand to do a big
meal, and my son will be hunting anyway, it would be a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding,
with meat juice reduced to a sauce or gravy (maybe with a little red wine added), mashed potatoes
and broccoli with cheese sauce...plus the usual dinner rolls and small green dinner salad.
That's my idea of a proper Christmas dinner. Dessert would be plum pudding,several servings
of which I have stashed in the freezer. It is my grandmother's recipe without alcohol, not the
standard recipe, and it is served hot (steamed to reheat) with Hard Sauce.

N.
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 10:48:30 UTC
Post by Nancy2
If I were cooking, which I am not because it is too difficult with a cane
in one hand to do a big
meal, and my son will be hunting anyway, it would be a standing rib roast
with Yorkshire pudding,
with meat juice reduced to a sauce or gravy (maybe with a little red wine
added), mashed potatoes
and broccoli with cheese sauce...plus the usual dinner rolls and small green dinner salad.
That's my idea of a proper Christmas dinner. Dessert would be plum
pudding,several servings
of which I have stashed in the freezer. It is my grandmother's recipe
without alcohol, not the
standard recipe, and it is served hot (steamed to reheat) with Hard Sauce.
N.
I made Yorkshire pudding once as a child. Only once because nobody was
impressed by it. I think I was expecting something really special. I don't
remember it being bad. Just not something really good either.
sf
2014-12-14 17:10:09 UTC
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 02:48:30 -0800, "Julie Bove"
Post by Julie Bove
I made Yorkshire pudding once as a child. Only once because nobody was
impressed by it. I think I was expecting something really special. I don't
remember it being bad. Just not something really good either.
You could call it a savory Dutch Baby.
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
jmcquown
2014-12-13 23:23:48 UTC
Post by KenK
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
Now that I think about it, I might buy a half a roasted duck. Publix
sells it in the freezer section; Maple Leaf farms? It's been a while
since I bought one. For pre-roasted duck it's very tasty. Just right
for someone who doesn't want a bunch of holiday leftovers. Of course
you wouldn't get to stuff it but you could make dressing on the side. :)

Jill
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 10:47:06 UTC
Post by KenK
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
Oh good grief! I read that at first as "stuffed owl". And I am wearing my
glasses and everything!

Last year I opted to buy some fancy things that we don't normally have like
desserts and of course they didn't get eaten. I suppose if I am going to
wind up tossing something out, I'd rather it be something that I didn't
bother to make! Hehe. I'll go to Costco in the next few days to see what
they have. Haven't been in there for a while.
Gary
2014-12-14 15:43:18 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by KenK
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
LOL! I have misread like that before too.!
Post by Julie Bove
Last year I opted to buy some fancy things that we don't normally have like
desserts and of course they didn't get eaten. I suppose if I am going to
wind up tossing something out, I'd rather it be something that I didn't
bother to make! Hehe. I'll go to Costco in the next few days to see what
they have. Haven't been in there for a while.
Sounds like you just need to sit down with daughter and husband and
make a Christmas menu. Get their input of what they would want.

:)
Dave Smith
Birds of a feather.
jmcquown
2014-12-14 23:34:54 UTC
Post by Gary
Sounds like you just need to sit down with daughter and husband and
make a Christmas menu. Get their input of what they would want.
:)
Yeah... that'll work. ;)

Jill
Cheri
2014-12-13 17:35:57 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.

Cheri
Doris Night
2014-12-13 21:09:12 UTC
Post by Cheri
Post by Julie Bove
Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.
Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
allowed.

Doris
koko
2014-12-13 21:47:07 UTC
On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 16:09:12 -0500, Doris Night
Post by Doris Night
Post by Cheri
Post by Julie Bove
Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.
Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
allowed.
Doris
Christmas Eve is the time for the Italian American celebration, The
Feast of the Seven Fishes.

koko

James Beard
Julie Bove
Yes.
Cheri
2014-12-13 21:54:17 UTC
Post by Doris Night
Post by Cheri
Post by Julie Bove
Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.
Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
allowed.
Doris
Yes, that's why I was asking, I know the Catholic religion doesn't disallow
it anymore, so it's a personal choice, and not the religion. Many older
Catholics still follow the original rules though. :-)

Cheri
Ed Pawlowski
2014-12-14 06:07:56 UTC
Post by Cheri
Yes, that's why I was asking, I know the Catholic religion doesn't
disallow it anymore, so it's a personal choice, and not the religion.
Many older Catholics still follow the original rules though. :-)
Cheri
I'm way ahead of the church and made that choice long before they did.
I never understood why it was OK to eat $12 a pound lobster but not a 10
cent hotdog.
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 11:08:06 UTC
Post by Cheri
Yes, that's why I was asking, I know the Catholic religion doesn't
disallow it anymore, so it's a personal choice, and not the religion.
Many older Catholics still follow the original rules though. :-)
Cheri
I'm way ahead of the church and made that choice long before they did. I
never understood why it was OK to eat $12 a pound lobster but not a 10
cent hotdog.
And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that religion
and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following a certain
kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though. Or avoiding
certain meats. For instance, Trader Joes had so many recalls on their
ground beef, I quit buying that. And I will never buy a Reser's product
again after Angela got food poisoning from them, although I did unwittingly
buy some tortillas that they made, not realizing that the Don Pancho brand
was theirs. I have not however heard of a case of food poisoning coming
from a tortilla though.
Ed Pawlowski
2014-12-14 20:01:05 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I'm way ahead of the church and made that choice long before they did.
I never understood why it was OK to eat $12 a pound lobster but not a
10 cent hotdog.
And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that
religion and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following
a certain kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though.
There is a logical reason for it and I know many non-Jews that don't eat
it for the same reason. Lobsters are scavengers and eat all sort of
junk from the ocean floor.

Even though beef can be kosher, the rump roast is not because of its
location and the sciatic nerve of the steer must be removed.
Cheri
2014-12-14 20:14:19 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I'm way ahead of the church and made that choice long before they did.
I never understood why it was OK to eat $12 a pound lobster but not a
10 cent hotdog.
And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that
religion and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following
a certain kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though.
There is a logical reason for it and I know many non-Jews that don't eat
it for the same reason. Lobsters are scavengers and eat all sort of junk
from the ocean floor.
I'll take those scavengers any day. :-)

Cheri
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 22:02:52 UTC
Post by Cheri
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I'm way ahead of the church and made that choice long before they did.
I never understood why it was OK to eat $12 a pound lobster but not a
10 cent hotdog.
And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that
religion and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following
a certain kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though.
There is a logical reason for it and I know many non-Jews that don't
eat it for the same reason. Lobsters are scavengers and eat all sort
of junk from the ocean floor.
I'll take those scavengers any day. :-)
Cheri
Many years ago I visited the lobster hatchery in Bar Harbor, Maine. The
people there said that lobsters only eat live food.

http://tinyurl.com/qgazhb4
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Janet Wilder
2014-12-14 21:58:57 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I'm way ahead of the church and made that choice long before they did.
I never understood why it was OK to eat $12 a pound lobster but not a
10 cent hotdog.
And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that
religion and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following
a certain kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though.
There is a logical reason for it and I know many non-Jews that don't eat
it for the same reason. Lobsters are scavengers and eat all sort of
junk from the ocean floor.
Even though beef can be kosher, the rump roast is not because of its
location and the sciatic nerve of the steer must be removed.
Actually it's veins that have to be removed. It is a very difficult job
to remove those veins so it's not done in the US, but in Israel, where
beef is scarcer, there are ritual slaughterers who are trained to remove
those veins and you can get a Kosher rump roast in Israel.

My father, of blessed memory, was an ordained Kosher ritual slaughterer
and I learned a lot from him.
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
l***@fl.it
2014-12-14 22:44:42 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Ed Pawlowski
I'm way ahead of the church and made that choice long before they did.
I never understood why it was OK to eat $12 a pound lobster but not a
10 cent hotdog.
And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that
religion and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following
a certain kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though.
There is a logical reason for it and I know many non-Jews that don't eat
it for the same reason. Lobsters are scavengers and eat all sort of
junk from the ocean floor.
Yabbut, they process it extremely well :)
Dave Smith
2014-12-14 22:56:03 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that
religion and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following
a certain kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though.
There is a logical reason for it and I know many non-Jews that don't eat
it for the same reason. Lobsters are scavengers and eat all sort of
junk from the ocean floor.
Catfish, sole, flounder and all the other bottom feeders eat the same
stuff. If people are worried about what animals eat and how it might
affect their health they should keep in mind that cows shit on their own
dinner table. The graze in pastures. The grass goes in the front end and
they crap on the grass while they are chewing.

Maybe back in biblical times.... read...pre refrigeration... lobster may
not have been safe to eat. They did not have tanks to keep lobsters in.
Lobsters have to be kept alive until they are cooked because as soon as
they die they start to rot.
graham
2014-12-14 23:10:14 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that
religion and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following
a certain kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though.
There is a logical reason for it and I know many non-Jews that don't eat
it for the same reason. Lobsters are scavengers and eat all sort of
junk from the ocean floor.
Catfish, sole, flounder and all the other bottom feeders eat the same
stuff. If people are worried about what animals eat and how it might
affect their health they should keep in mind that cows shit on their own
dinner table.
My father maintained that horses are much fussier about what they eat so
he thought that their meat would be better, although he had never tried it.
Graham
Dave Smith
2014-12-14 23:58:14 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Julie Bove
And if you're Jewish you shouldn't eat the lobster! A lot of that
religion and food stuff makes no sense to me. I do understand following
a certain kind of diet when I can see a valid reason for it though.
There is a logical reason for it and I know many non-Jews that don't eat
it for the same reason. Lobsters are scavengers and eat all sort of
junk from the ocean floor.
Catfish, sole, flounder and all the other bottom feeders eat the same
stuff. If people are worried about what animals eat and how it might
affect their health they should keep in mind that cows shit on their own
dinner table.
My father maintained that horses are much fussier about what they eat so
he thought that their meat would be better, although he had never tried it.
He might be wrong there. Maybe it depends on the breed of cattle,
because some breeds are picker than others about what they will eat.
Jersey cattle tend to be very picky about the quality of hay they eat
while horses will drop their hay into the bedding that they have crapped
in peed in and then eat it.
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 11:04:21 UTC
Post by Cheri
Post by Doris Night
Post by Cheri
Post by Julie Bove
Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.
Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
allowed.
Doris
Yes, that's why I was asking, I know the Catholic religion doesn't
disallow it anymore, so it's a personal choice, and not the religion. Many
older Catholics still follow the original rules though. :-)
Do not say that to an Italian American Catholic! At least not the ones in
PA. I learned that very quickly. Just go with the flow.
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 11:02:47 UTC
Post by Doris Night
Post by Cheri
Post by Julie Bove
Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.
Julie's husband is Italian, so I suppose he is Catholic. My MIL is
also Catholic and she doesn't eat meat on Fridays or on Christmas Eve,
although the rules were changed quite a few years ago, and now meat is
allowed.
Yes. I think it is the combination of Italian and Catholic. I have plenty
of Catholic friends and way back when I did go to church, my Methodist
church teamed up with the nearby Catholic and Lutheran churches for a
variety of things so I am very familiar with how they do things here. How
they do things in other areas can be very different.
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 11:00:37 UTC
Post by Cheri
Post by Julie Bove
Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.
Catholic but... I do realize that not all Catholics do this. They
certainly do not here. It really goes beyond no meat. Originally they were
supposed to serve seven fishes. But I was watching a show with Nick
Stellino a few years ago and he said that many Italian/American Catholics
keep trying to outdo themselves from one year to the next by adding more and
more fish dishes to their table.

I don't think my husband's family actually made sure to have seven different
dishes. They mostly did sort of a potluck with most people bringing a fish
dish. My MIL always did stuffed peppers. They did have anchovies in them,
also a lot of garlic and walnuts. I did not care for them and neither did
my one SIL but apparently the men love them. She also did the shrimp pasta
and something that she called "fried dough". I never did figure out what
that was. I asked her and she just looked at me like I was an idiot and
repeated to me that it was dough that had been fried. Somebody else chimed
in and said that it was served all the time at Bingo. Well it isn't here so
I still haven't a clue.

When I sat down to my first Christmas dinner with the family, one of my
husband's cousins brightly appeared before me with a bowl of pierogies and
announced, "This is what we eat when we don't like fish!" I don't know how
he knew that I didn't like fish but I was sure happy to see him!

This link explains about the seven fishes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Seven_Fishes

And although my husband does call himself a Catholic, he seems to know
precious little about the religion itself. He only seemed to know that the
eating of meat on Dec. 24th, at least at dinner time was forbidden.

I guess I should contact my brother. I don't know if we will be doing a get
together meal on the 24th or not. If we are that would put a whole
different spin on things because my mom only has a kitchenette in her
apartment although there is a large meeting room we could use if we needed
to. I was thinking that we'd eat here at home but... I really can't
remember how we did things last year. Then again there was nothing normal
about last year with my dad being in and out of the hospital as much as he
was.
Cheri
2014-12-14 14:55:39 UTC
Post by Julie Bove
Post by Cheri
Post by Julie Bove
Husband's religion does not allow him to eat meat on Christmas Eve but I
also can not serve his favorite traditional meal of garlic shrimp pasta
because shrimp is bad for gout. I think last year I just made a super
garlicky pasta but really can't remember.
Forgive my ignorance, but what religion is that? I'm curious.
Catholic but... I do realize that not all Catholics do this. They
certainly do not here. It really goes beyond no meat. Originally they
were supposed to serve seven fishes. But I was watching a show with Nick
Stellino a few years ago and he said that many Italian/American Catholics
keep trying to outdo themselves from one year to the next by adding more
and more fish dishes to their table.
.

Thanks for the explanation Julie.

Cheri
Janet Wilder
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Doris Night
2014-12-14 18:58:59 UTC
Post by Janet Wilder
She
also did the shrimp pasta and something that she called "fried dough".
I never did figure out what that was. I asked her and she just looked
at me like I was an idiot and repeated to me that it was dough that had
been fried. Somebody else chimed in and said that it was served all the
time at Bingo. Well it isn't here so I still haven't a clue.
Zeppoli.
When I think of fried dough, I think of toutons.

Doris
tert in seattle
2014-12-13 17:43:07 UTC
it's going to be a bbq ribs Christmas this year at chez tert
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 11:08:27 UTC
Ah, okay!
Someone Else
Sounds like your husband is a huge asshole.
Julie Bove
2014-12-14 11:09:43 UTC
Post by Someone Else
Post by Julie Bove
[...]
I think I need to take a 'lil break and get me something to eat. Mayhaps my
blood sugar is low. That's the second thing I read wrong. I thought you
said that he had a huge asshole. Hehehe.